Home | Community | Message Board

NorthSpore.com BOOMR Bag!
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | Next >  [ show all ]
Invisible1stimer
Religion=Rape
Loc: Amerika
Cheney: War was justified BECAUSE NO WMD's FOUND
    #3226694 - 10/07/04 09:31 AM (19 years, 6 months ago)

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&e=2&u=/ap/20041007/ap_on_el_pr/cheney
Quote:

MIAMI - Vice President Dick Cheney (news - web sites) asserted on Thursday that a report by the chief U.S. weapons inspector in Iraq (news - web sites), who found no evidence that Iraq produced weapons of mass destruction after 1991, justifies rather than undermines President Bush (news - web sites)'s decision to go to war.

The report shows that "delay, defer, wasn't an option," Cheney told a town-hall style meeting.

While Democrats seized on the new report by Charles Duelfer to bolster their case that invading Iraq was a mistake, Cheney focused on portions of the report that were more favorable to the administration's case.

Although it says Saddam's weapons program had deteriorated since the 1991 Gulf War (news - web sites) and did not pose a threat to the world in 2003, the report also says that Saddam's main goal was to get international sanctions lifted.

"As soon as the sanctions were lifted he had every intention of going back" to his weapons program, Cheney said.

Cheney said the report also concluded that the United Nations (news - web sites)' "Fuel for Food" program "was totally corrupted by Saddam Hussein (news - web sites). There were suggestions employees of the United Nations were part of the scheme as well."

"The suggestion is clearly there by Mr. Duelfer that Saddam had used the program in such a way that he had bought off foreign governments and was building support among them to take the sanctions down," Cheney said.

That being the case, there was no reason to wait to invade Iraq to give inspectors more time to do their work, Cheney said.

On Wednesday, the former head of the U.N. weapons inspection team, Hans Blix, said: "Had we had a few months more (of inspections before the war), we would have been able to tell both the CIA (news - web sites) and others that there were no weapons of mass destruction (at) all the sites that they had given to us."

Duelfer's report said what ambitions Saddam harbored for such weapons were secondary to his goal of evading those sanctions, and he wanted them primarily not to attack the United States or to provide them to terrorists, but to oppose his older enemies, Iran and Israel.

The report of the weapons hunter was presented Wednesday to senators and the public in the midst of a fierce presidential election campaign in which Iraq and the war of terror have become the overriding issues.

--------------------
ash dingy donker mo gollyhopper patty popiton rockstop bueno mayo riggedy jig bobber johnathan pattywhacker gogboob t-shirt monkey.

There is such emotion in the distortion.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleVvellum
Stranger

Re: Cheney: War was justified BECAUSE NO WMD's FOUND [Re: 1stimer]
    #3226702 - 10/07/04 09:36 AM (19 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

"As soon as the sanctions were lifted he had every intention of going back" to his weapons program, Cheney said.

so possible desire to resume long-dead weapons programs equates to an imminent threat that required an immediate invasion? what a bunch of shit.

Quote:

Duelfer's report said what ambitions Saddam harbored for such weapons were secondary to his goal of evading those sanctions, and he wanted them primarily not to attack the United States or to provide them to terrorists, but to oppose his older enemies, Iran and Israel.

OfflineLearyfanS
It's the psychedelic movement!
Male User Gallery

Loc: High pride!
Re: Cheney: War was justified BECAUSE NO WMD's FOUND [Re: 1stimer]
    #3226793 - 10/07/04 10:06 AM (19 years, 6 months ago)

What a douche.

--------------------
--------------------------------

Mp3 of the month:  Sons Of Adam - Feathered Fish

OfflineDivided_Sky
Ten ThousandThings

Loc: The Shining Void
Re: Cheney: War was justified BECAUSE NO WMD's FOU [Re: Learyfan]
    #3226819 - 10/07/04 10:13 AM (19 years, 6 months ago)

Again, unless Cheney and Bush had clairvoyance and could see this report 2 years away before the war, it proves nothing. Your title was also very disigenuis.
In hindsight his logic was that "Well we thought he had weapons, and he obviously didn't, but even so had we not invaded sanctions probobly would have been dropped and he would have been able to restart his weapons programs which he desired to do."

--------------------
1. "After an hour I wasn't feeling anything so I decided to take another..."
2. "We were feeling pretty good so we decided to smoke a few bowls..."
3. "I had to be real quiet because my parents were asleep upstairs..."

InvisibleSwami
Eggshell Walker

Loc: In the hen house
Re: Cheney: War was justified BECAUSE NO WMD's FOUND [Re: Learyfan]
    #3226828 - 10/07/04 10:18 AM (19 years, 6 months ago)

Cheney is the king of double-speak. Basically, no matter what was or was not found, or who was or was not involved, the reasons for war were justified.

Imagine Cheney as a prosecutor: "Your honor, the defendent had no drugs or paraphenalia in his possession which is proof that he is hardened drug abuser."

Seriously, no matter your leanings, how can anyone accept this "logic"? I suggest everyone read (or re-read) Orwell's "1984" where this script was borrowed intact.

--------------------

The proof is in the pudding.

OfflineLearyfanS
Male User Gallery

Re: Cheney: War was justified BECAUSE NO WMD's FOU [Re: Divided_Sky]
    #3226854 - 10/07/04 10:29 AM (19 years, 6 months ago)

Had they let the weapons inspectors do their job they wouldn't need to be clairvoyant.

Why can't you understand that?

--------------------

Offlineunbeliever
Yo Daddy!
 User Gallery
Loc: Gallifrey
    #3227061 - 10/07/04 11:12 AM (19 years, 6 months ago)

Simply stated, there is no doubt that Saddam Hussein now has weapons of mass destruction.
- Dick Cheney, speech to VFW National Convention, Aug. 26, 2002

Right now, Iraq is expanding and improving facilities that were used for the production of biological weapons.
- George W. Bush, speech to UN General Assembly, Sept. 12, 2002

No terrorist state poses a greater or more immediate threat to the security of our people and the stability of the world than the regime of Saddam Hussein in Iraq.
- Donald Rumsfeld, testimony to Congress, Sept. 19, 2002

We know for a fact that there are weapons there.
- White House spokesman Ari Fleischer, press briefing, Jan. 9, 2003

What we know from UN inspectors over the course of the last decade is that Saddam Hussein possesses thousands of chemical warheads, that he possesses hundreds of liters of very dangerous toxins that can kill millions of people.
- White House spokesman Dan Bartlett, CNN interview, Jan. 26, 2003

Our intelligence officials estimate that Saddam Hussein had the materials to produce as much as 500 tons of sarin, mustard, and VX nerve agent?. The British government has learned that Saddam Hussein recently sought significant quantities of uranium from Africa.
- George W. Bush, State of the Union Address, Jan. 28, 2003

We know that Saddam Hussein is determined to keep his weapons of mass destruction, is determined to make more.
- Colin Powell, remarks to UN Security Council, Feb. 5, 2003

We have sources that tell us that Saddam Hussein recently authorized Iraqi field commanders to use chemical weapons - the very weapons the dictator tells us he does not have.
- George W. Bush, radio address, Feb. 8, 2003

If Iraq had disarmed itself, gotten rid of its weapons of mass destruction over the past 12 years, or over the last several months since [UN Resolution] 1441 was enacted, we would not be facing the crisis that we now have before us.
- Colin Powell, interview with Radio France International, Feb. 28, 2003

Intelligence gathered by this and other governments leaves no doubt that the Iraq regime continues to possess and conceal some of the most lethal weapons ever devised.
- George W. Bush, address to the U.S., March 17, 2003

Well, there is no question that we have evidence and information that Iraq has weapons of mass destruction, biological and chemical particularly?..All this will be made clear in the course of the operation, for whatever duration it takes.
- White House spokesman Ari Fleisher, press briefing, March 21, 2003

There is no doubt that the regime of Saddam Hussein possesses weapons of mass destruction. And?.as this operation continues, those weapons will be identified, found, along with the people who have produced them and who guard them.
- Gen. Tommy Franks, press conference, March 22, 2003

I have no doubt we're going to find big stores of weapons of mass destruction.
- Defense Policy Board member Kenneth Adelman, The Washington Post, March 23, 2003

One of our top objectives is to find and destroy the WMD. There are a number of sites.
- Pentagon spokeswoman Victoria Clark, press briefing, March 22, 2003

We know where they are. They're in the area around Tikrit and Baghdad and east, west, south, and north somewhat.
- Donald Rumsfeld, ABC interview, March 30, 2003

Obviously the administration intends to publicize all the weapons of mass destruction U.S. forces find - and there will be plenty.
- Robert Kagan, The Washington Post, April 9, 2003

But make no mistake - as I said earlier - we have high confidence that they have weapons of mass destruction. That is what this war was about and it is about. And we have high confidence it will be found.
- White House spokesman Ari Fleischer, press briefing, April 10, 2003

We'll find them. It'll be a matter of time to do so.
- George W. Bush, remarks to reporters, May 3, 2003

I'm absolutely sure that there are weapons of mass destruction there and the evidence will be forthcoming. We're just getting it just now.
- Colin Powell, remarks to reporters, May 4, 2003

I'm not surprised if we begin to uncover the weapons program of Saddam Hussein ? because he had a weapons program.
- George W. Bush, remarks to reporters, May 6, 2003

We said what we said because we meant it?..We continue to have confidence that WMD will be found.
- White House spokesman Ari Fleischer, press briefing, May 7, 2003

Before the war, there's no doubt in my mind that Saddam Hussein had weapons of mass destruction, biological and chemical. I expected them to be found. I still expect them to be found.
- Gen. Michael Hagee, Commandant of the Marine Corps, interview with reporters, May 21, 2003

Given time, given the number of prisoners now that we're interrogating, I'm confident that we're going to find weapons of mass destruction.
- Gen. Richard Myers, Chairman Joint Chiefs of Staff, NBC Today Show interview, May 26, 2003

Do I think we're going to find something? Yeah, I kind of do, because I think there's a lot of information out there."
- Maj. Gen. Keith Dayton, Defense Intelligence Agency, press conference, May 30, 2003

-----------------------------------

I'm not even going to continue, that's plenty. They told the world they KNEW saddam had WMD, that they even KNEW where they were and that's why we were invading, to keep america safe against those WMD's. It's bullshit. Proven, absolute bullshit. But all the neocon freeper drones will continue to swallow it and the bible thumping nascar zombies won't even question it. Bleh.

--------------------
Happiness is a warm gun...

InvisibleEonTan
bird
 User Gallery
Loc: very south
    #3227251 - 10/07/04 11:52 AM (19 years, 6 months ago)

Weapons inspectors were unable to do their job BECASUE OF SAADAM for an entire decade leading up to the push for ENFORCEMENT. Why is it that each and every liberal here CANNOT REMEMBER THAT.

Iraq was a problem that predated 9/11/01.

Sanctions did not work. Inspectors did not work. These things only work when the are followed by everyone. WE DID NOt KNOW FOR SURE IF SAADAM HAD DISARMED OR NOT, IT TOOK A WAR TO FIND OUT.

All saadam ever had to do was let the Inspectors do their job without interference. HE DId NOt DO THAT!!!

What is the saying about repeating behaviors over and over and expecting different results? Something about insanity?

Inspections did not work to Gurantee that Saadam had disarmed. So why you think they would work if tried again is INSANITY.

The argument for war was justified. The lack of Allies showing up was not justified. You are on the wrong side of the fence in my opinion. The UN calling this war illegal shows were the majority of it's members reside as well. The Wrong side of the fence.

Offlineunbeliever
Yo Daddy!
 User Gallery
Re: Cheney: War was justified BECAUSE NO WMD's FOU [Re: EonTan]
    #3227294 - 10/07/04 11:59 AM (19 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

EonTan said:
Weapons inspectors were unable to do their job BECASUE OF SAADAM for an entire decade leading up to the push for ENFORCEMENT. Why is it that each and every liberal here CANNOT REMEMBER THAT.

Iraq was a problem that predated 9/11/01.

Sanctions did not work. Inspectors did not work. These things only work when the are followed by everyone. WE DID NOt KNOW FOR SURE IF SAADAM HAD DISARMED OR NOT, IT TOOK A WAR TO FIND OUT.

All saadam ever had to do was let the Inspectors do their job without interference. HE DId NOt DO THAT!!!

What is the saying about repeating behaviors over and over and expecting different results? Something about insanity?

Inspections did not work to Gurantee that Saadam had disarmed. So why you think they would work if tried again is INSANITY.

The argument for war was justified. The lack of Allies showing up was not justified. You are on the wrong side of the fence in my opinion. The UN calling this war illegal shows were the majority of it's members reside as well. The Wrong side of the fence.

Man where even to start. If you have been keeping abreast of the reports coming out now that have SHOWN flat out that saddam had disarmed and that in fact the inspections and sanctions WERE working.

As for inspectors being "kicked out" that's just bull shit. It was being said by the Iraqi government that there were spies among the inspectors who were trying to gain access to areas they had no right to (seperate from weapons inspections). Admist that, the US and UK inspectors pulled out in order for their respective countries to begin a bombing campaign. We burned our own bridge.

And yet despite that, the other inspections and sanctions STILL worked. Try thinking for yourself, try analzying the facts in front of you and stop repeating the bullshit neocon spin you hear from Rush Limbaugh or Fox News.

--------------------

OfflineLearyfanS
Male User Gallery

#3227345 - 10/07/04 12:06 PM (19 years, 6 months ago)

BS

Saddam was allowing weapons inspectors to do whatever they pleased just before the war. Our leaders then rushed to war so that the weapons inspectors wouldn't find out that there were no weapons.

I can't believe you right wingers. You'll try anything to defend our evil leaders. The human race is doomed because they have so many of you people brainwashed.  :mad2: :mad2: :mad2:

I so sick of this fucking planet. You've all subconsciously decided to destroy this plane of existence.

--------------------

Edited by Learyfan (10/07/04 12:06 PM)

InvisibleCJay
Dark Stranger
 User Gallery

Loc: Riding a bassline
    #3227356 - 10/07/04 12:07 PM (19 years, 6 months ago)

"delay, defer, wasn't an option," Cheney.....

What is he? Chief of Global Thought Police? Does he use a crystal ball?

Swami puts it well.

After reading '1984' read 'Animal Farm'. Orwell is a legend beyond proportion - what he left as a legacy to schoolkids and adults alike, is a jewel of literacy and insight.

Anonymous

Re: Cheney: War was justified BECAUSE NO WMD's FOU [Re: unbeliever]
    #3227371 - 10/07/04 12:10 PM (19 years, 6 months ago)

If you have been keeping abreast of the reports coming out now that have SHOWN flat out that saddam had disarmed and that in fact the inspections and sanctions WERE working.

same shit, differenct decade. once the heat was off he'd a booted them out again, just like he did several times in the 90's.

It was being said by the Iraqi government that there were spies among the inspectors who were trying to gain access to areas they had no right to (seperate from weapons inspections).

hahaha. must be true then, eh?

Try thinking for yourself, try analzying the facts in front of you and stop repeating the bullshit neocon spin you hear from Rush Limbaugh or Fox News.

i for one neither watch fox news nor listen to rush limbaugh.

Offlineunbeliever
Yo Daddy!
 User Gallery
Re: Cheney: War was justified BECAUSE NO WMD's FOU [Re: ]
    #3227398 - 10/07/04 12:16 PM (19 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

mushmaster said:
If you have been keeping abreast of the reports coming out now that have SHOWN flat out that saddam had disarmed and that in fact the inspections and sanctions WERE working.

same shit, differenct decade. once the heat was off he'd a booted them out again, just like he did several times in the 90's.

Okay, did your magic 8 ball tell you this? I'm not about to get into an arguement of "what if". Oh and he didn't boot them that time in '98, we left.

Quote:

mushmaster said:
It was being said by the Iraqi government that there were spies among the inspectors who were trying to gain access to areas they had no right to (seperate from weapons inspections).

hahaha. must be true then, eh?

No more so than it must be false in my opinion. I mean, we bombed the bajeezus out of them right after that...

Quote:

mushmaster said:
Try thinking for yourself, try analzying the facts in front of you and stop repeating the bullshit neocon spin you hear from Rush Limbaugh or Fox News.

i for one neither watch fox news nor listen to rush limbaugh.

Fair enough.

--------------------

Anonymous

#3227454 - 10/07/04 12:26 PM (19 years, 6 months ago)

Okay, did your magic 8 ball tell you this?

no, i am extrapolating from hussein's history of non-compliance and evasion throughout the 1990's. i'm telling you this because it is precisely what hussein did several times in the past after temporarily cooperating to get the heat off.

No more so than it must be false in my opinion.

do you think that their claims were true, and that they were justified in their non-cooperation as a result?

Offlineunbeliever
Yo Daddy!
 User Gallery
    #3227474 - 10/07/04 12:31 PM (19 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

mushmaster said:
Okay, did your magic 8 ball tell you this?

no, i am extrapolating from hussein's history of non-compliance and evasion throughout the 1990's. i'm telling you this because it is precisely what hussein did several times in the past after temporarily cooperating to get the heat off.

No more so than it must be false in my opinion.

do you think that their claims were true, and that they were justified in their non-cooperation as a result?

I think they should have been given a credible investigation. Instead the inspectors left and we BOMBED THEM. Great solution and really indicative of a clear concious on our parts eh?

As for your extrapolation, the point I just made puts a kink in that. It's not such a simple situation. Besides which there would be no reason to ease containment on saddam and if we had true international support it would not be prohibitive to continue inspections and sanctions indefinitely. Instead we have over 1000 dead americans and countless 10's of thousands dead iraqis. Which is a larger number than some reports on how many iraqis Saddam has killed.

--------------------

Anonymous

#3227492 - 10/07/04 12:36 PM (19 years, 6 months ago)

I think they should have been given a credible investigation. Instead the inspectors left and we BOMBED THEM.

after a decade of non-compliance, heel-dragging, and failed "diplomacy".

As for your extrapolation, the point I just made puts a kink in that. It's not such a simple situation.

what point? hussein's pattern of intermittent non-compliance is extremely clear. what makes you think it would have ended?

Offlineunbeliever
Yo Daddy!
 User Gallery
    #3227538 - 10/07/04 12:45 PM (19 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

mushmaster said:
I think they should have been given a credible investigation. Instead the inspectors left and we BOMBED THEM.

after a decade of non-compliance, heel-dragging, and failed "diplomacy".

As for your extrapolation, the point I just made puts a kink in that. It's not such a simple situation.

what point? hussein's pattern of intermittent non-compliance is extremely clear. what makes you think it would have ended?

You're missing the bigger picture. Despite Saddam's obstreperous behavior, the inspections and sanctions were STILL working. He still had no working weapons programs. Just because in his black little heart he may have wished dearly for a nuclear arsenal doesn't mean he was ever going to obtain one.

--------------------

Anonymous

#3227574 - 10/07/04 12:52 PM (19 years, 6 months ago)

You're missing the bigger picture. Despite Saddam's obstreperous behavior, the inspections and sanctions were STILL working.

they absolutely were not. read my last post in the other thread.

Offlineunbeliever
Yo Daddy!
 User Gallery
    #3227593 - 10/07/04 12:55 PM (19 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

mushmaster said:
You're missing the bigger picture. Despite Saddam's obstreperous behavior, the inspections and sanctions were STILL working.

they absolutely were not. read my last post in the other thread.

Okay. So where are all the WMD? Where are the WMD programs or progress towards them? You know, all those pesky things that the Bush administration said over and over and over were there, and that they even knew WHERE they were.

--------------------

Anonymous

#3227628 - 10/07/04 12:59 PM (19 years, 6 months ago)

there's no need to say the same things in different words in two different threads. i'll be posting in the other thread on this topic from here on out.

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder