Home | Community | Message Board

MushroomMan Mycology
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.


Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Sporeworks.EU Spores for European Microscopy   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: < First | | 1460 | 1461 | 1462 | 1463 | 1464 | 1465 | 1466 | 1467 | 1468 | 1469 | 1470 | 1471 | 1472 | 1473 | 1474 | 1475 | 1476 | 1477 | 1478 | 1479 | 1480 | | Last >
Re: Cultivation confessional [Re: Pastywhyte] * 2
    #29685586 -

Pastywhyte said:
The purpose of the off topic boards is to distract certain groups of people from the on topic boards. You don’t want OTD people posting in MC.



:whathesaid:

Though its an ugly part of the site, every city has its slums. I would hate to move /change OTD and trigger a migration of that slop to the cultivation threads. I feel quite shielded from the stuff over there and quite frankly I have yet to navigate anywhere other than MC. So from a noobs perspective, I think its doing its job.

Everyone that lives in the city knows which roads to stay off of to avoid driving through the ghetto.


--------------------
A Seeker Seeking,,, Things...

Lo-Z Things
State of The Grow :awesomenod: | Lo-Z's Forever Print Tek :print:
Brown Rice Grain Prep (Step by Step) :syringe: | My Favorite Cow PooPoo Sub Tek :poop:

Things that saved Lo-Z
PANS IN TUBS :mushroom2:
Rescuing Your AIO Kit :lifesaver:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Cultivation confessional [Re: Pastywhyte]
    #29685587 -

Pastywhyte said:
The purpose of the off topic boards is to distract certain groups of people from the on topic boards. You don’t want OTD people posting in MC.



Lol YOU dont want them posting here bc then youd have to regulate you mean.

I say let em all in.  Let stipe sort em out.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Cultivation confessional [Re: tryptkaloids] * 8
    #29685590 -

I'll be honest, as distasteful as some of it is, this place really owes it's existence to the concept of free speech. Censorship is a slippery slope. I'm satisfied with having a strictly on topic board that is maintained as such. It may not be perfect for everyone but I'd rather have freedom over a big brother. Maintaining the culture is going to move things in the right direction most of the time.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Cultivation confessional [Re: tryptkaloids] * 2
    #29685595 -

tryptkaloids said:
the_chosen_one said:
Yep. Kinda like personality chumming lol. Believe it or not as abrasive as it is over there.. there's more in common than one would think. Many otd people lurk the MC in search of those commonalities.



You sure its not in search of knowledge?



Yes that post could be worded better lol, but that's the commonality to which I refer.

Mostly I've been having a Zen day and avoiding rifts. :lol:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Cultivation confessional [Re: Pastywhyte] * 3
    #29685599 -

Until it doesn't, Pasty.

We've lost some absolute legends to this. One of them is a personal friend of mine and its a crying shame. they're 20x the grower i ever was. Literally my balls just shrivel when i see their grows. They won't have anything to do with the ORG and thats really our loss.

Free speech is cool I'm actually fine with people saying N*gger or whatever.  But calling a respected member a n*gger and walking with good ratings is insane. Sorry but thats kindof a cop-out. Free speech is fine and I'm not down for actual meta-style community guidelines either. Hate that shit, but theres a wild double standard. If somone said that in Cult, they'd be gone. 

I realize we're held to a higher standard for a reason. (because we're actually just better people in general)

I'll give you that much. Yeah, we'd be nothing without free speech, but we could be a lot more without the bullshit.
Hate speech is protected in our country, yeah.  But total impunity for calling respected pillars of our community a n*gger?

Stare wasn't banned for his anti-trans bullshit towards treefrog. He was banned because he did it Cult. If he'd kept it in OTD, that would be fine. So he was banned because it was off topic?  C'mon man.

With all due respect--and i've always respected you--I disagree.

Edited by BeefExtreme (10/04/26 12:40 PM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Cultivation confessional [Re: BeefExtreme] * 4
    #29685604 -

BeefExtreme said:
Until it doesn't, Pasty.

We've lost some absolute legends to this. One of them is a personal friend of mine and its a crying shame. they're 20x the grower i ever was. Literally my balls just shrivel when i see their grows. They won't have anything to do with the ORG and thats really our loss.

Free speech is cool I'm actually fine with people saying N*gger or whatever.  But calling a respected member a n*gger and walking with good ratings is insane. Sorry but thats kindof a cop-out. Free speech is fine and I'm not down for actual meta-style community guidelines either. Hate that shit, but theres a wild double standard. If somone said that in Cult, they'd be gone. 

I realize we're held to a higher standard for a reason. (because we're actually just better people in general)

I'll give you that much. Yeah, we'd be nothing without free speech, but we could be a lot more without the bullshit.
Hate speech is protected in our country, yeah.  But total impunity for calling respected pillars of our community a n*gger?

Stare wasn't banned for his anti-trans bullshit towards treefrog. He was banned because he did it Cult. If he'd kept it in OTD, that would be fine. So he was banned because it was off topic?  C'mon man.

With all due respect--and i've always respected you--I disagree.



There is never and will never be a need in any space to tolerate those who erode and destroy tolerance itself via their words and actions. Burn OTD to the ground and salt the ashes.


--------------------

:crankbowcloud:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Cultivation confessional [Re: Saxifrage]
    #29685612 -

Now now...

But seriously.

Wheres mushboy on this?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Cultivation confessional [Re: BeefExtreme] * 6
    #29685617 -

I think it's always interesting when white people choose the N word to be the hill for their free speech principles to die on. Imo it's a stain on the site's legacy that undermines the positive things people contribute here. It was part of the reason why I originally left in the 2000s and it makes me hesitant to participate again at all sometimes.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Cultivation confessional [Re: pinkpuddles] * 3
    #29685621 -

pinkpuddles said:
I think it's always interesting when white people choose the N word to be the hill for their free speech principles to die on. Imo it's a stain on the site's legacy that undermines the positive things people contribute here. It was part of the reason why I originally left in the 2000s and it makes me hesitant to participate again at all sometimes.



:cantarguewiththat:

I just don't think it's unreasonable to say they should participate under the same standards of decorum that we do in cult.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Cultivation confessional [Re: BeefExtreme] * 2
    #29685626 -

Lets be fucking honest, theyre here because theres nowhere else on the internet that will tolerate their horseshit.  Except maybe 4chan but even then they'd have to actually fight for theyre territory.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Cultivation confessional [Re: BeefExtreme] * 2
    #29685628 -

BeefExtreme said:
Or better yet,

B Traven for OTD mod.  Utterly devoid of mercy.



Ooof.

Not sure I want that job, much less any mod job.

I bet I'd piss everyone off if I had it, though.

First of all, I couldn't help then posting in OTD. Endless spamming of GWAR videos. Weeks on end where I only communicated via lines from Reservoir Dogs and Fargo. That sort of thing.

And my policies would be inconsistent as hell. I'd actually tolerate racist language on the principle that it's better to know exactly who's shitty enough to use it, but simultaneously encourage the mass flaming of anyone who used it. But I'd spend all my time looking for the merest hint of bootlicking, and then issue permabans for it.

Yeah, I probably wouldn't last very long lol


--------------------

Edited by B Traven (10/04/26 01:07 PM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Cultivation confessional [Re: BeefExtreme] * 7
    #29685629 -

Most people come to the shroomery because they're trying to find a way to heal. Of course, we're all going to make our way around and see what all else is going on. Reading racist and antisemitism bullshit doesn't help heal anyone. In fact, it's probably triggering to some people. There has to be some sort of balance between free speech and healing.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Cultivation confessional [Re: B Traven] * 1
    #29685637 -

B Traven said:
BeefExtreme said:
Or better yet,

B Traven for OTD mod.  Utterly devoid of mercy.



Ooof.

Not sure I want that job, much less any mod job.

I bet I'd piss everyone off if I had it, though.

First of all, I couldn't help then posting in OTD. Endless spamming of GWAR videos. Weeks on end where I only communicated via lines from Reservoir Dogs and Fargo. That sort of thing.

And my policies would be inconsistent as hell. I'd actually tolerate racist language on the principle that it's better to know exactly who's shitty enough to use it, but simultaneously encourage the mass flaming of anyone who used it. But I'd spend all my time looking for the merest hint of bootlicking, and then issue permabans for it.

Yeah, I probably wouldn't last very long lol





--------------------
I've got skills, they don't know where to use me
I'm like the best dressed guy at the nude beach
Nice to meet you!

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Cultivation confessional [Re: Pastywhyte]
    #29685640 -

Pastywhyte said:
The purpose of the off topic boards is to distract certain groups of people from the on topic boards. You don’t want OTD people posting in MC.



:nodofunderstanding:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Cultivation confessional [Re: BeefExtreme] * 7
    #29685642 -

"You can be a horrible person here if you pay us money" is objectionable to me in a way I can't readily put into words.

I bounced around other cult spaces before I got here and none of them have this problem because they just don't tolerate that behavior. Simple as.


--------------------
what i've been growing

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Cultivation confessional [Re: arlo.arlo] * 1
    #29685646 -

Try to articulate then.

To me its just a compramise because if it were me they'd all be perma'd.

It says if youre going to use our site that we work hard on as your bigot hidey-hole, at least help us pay the fuckin bills..

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Cultivation confessional [Re: B Traven] * 2
    #29685651 -

So, I can see all the angles people have mentioned here. Definitely see the free speech angle, and the asshole sequestration angle. But also the whole double-standard thing.

I actually find that last one kinda crucial. Not necessarily for mush cult, because I'm ultimately fine with the way it's moderated now. However, if I'm being real, there are definitely things I'd like to say and discuss that don't have a home on these forums. It'd be one thing if OTD was actually a true free-for-all, but that's not the culture there at all. They're insular and clannish, and while stupid inside jokes built around racial slurs are applauded, some of the extreme and transgressive stuff I have to say would surely be met with hostility, up to and including thread-locking. The whole thing is clearly set up to cater to one very specific cohort of people, and not just anyone who's got ridiculous shit to say.

But I can live with all that. What's most concerning is the common impression that OTD is some cool kids' club that OG posters and cultivators are cool with, and some integral part of the forum. Kinda like the Stones at Altamont, even though the Dead were like "yeah, a bunch of drunk Hell's Angels, bad scene, no way we're playing this show."

But honestly, I do think these conversations are going a long way towards dispelling that concept.

None of which precludes me from calling out the worst bullshit on an ongoing basis. I ain't afraid of the blowback.


--------------------

Edited by B Traven (10/04/26 02:26 PM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Cultivation confessional [Re: B Traven] * 1
    #29685657 -

Fucking eh that. Yeah I was just thinking that like...

Why the fuck do they get total Dominion over otd?  This is absolutely just have their own section.. call it... i dunno

Raciscm and bigotry or just "the kids table" would work.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Cultivation confessional [Re: langten69] * 1
    #29685658 -

Giving racists a platform is a choice. Free speech is incredibly important, but so is having values. There's nothing cool or good about being a shitty hateful person. I guess the darkness inevitably has to exist to balance out the light :shrug:


--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Cultivation confessional [Re: Lo-Z] * 1
    #29685659 -

Lo-Z said:
Pastywhyte said:
The purpose of the off topic boards is to distract certain groups of people from the on topic boards. You don’t want OTD people posting in MC.



:whathesaid:

Though its an ugly part of the site, every city has its slums. I would hate to move /change OTD and trigger a migration of that slop to the cultivation threads. I feel quite shielded from the stuff over there and quite frankly I have yet to navigate anywhere other than MC. So from a noobs perspective, I think its doing its job.

Everyone that lives in the city knows which roads to stay off of to avoid driving through the ghetto.



Pastywhyte said:
I'll be honest, as distasteful as some of it is, this place really owes it's existence to the concept of free speech. Censorship is a slippery slope. I'm satisfied with having a strictly on topic board that is maintained as such. It may not be perfect for everyone but I'd rather have freedom over a big brother. Maintaining the culture is going to move things in the right direction most of the time.




:nodofunderstanding:

I confess that being able to balance all these perspectives is above my pay grade currently

Edited by langten69 (10/04/26 01:46 PM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Jump to top Pages: < First | | 1460 | 1461 | 1462 | 1463 | 1464 | 1465 | 1466 | 1467 | 1468 | 1469 | 1470 | 1471 | 1472 | 1473 | 1474 | 1475 | 1476 | 1477 | 1478 | 1479 | 1480 | | Last >

Shop: Sporeworks.EU Spores for European Microscopy   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale


Similar ThreadsPosterViewsRepliesLast post
* alt.drugs.mushrooms.cultivation (good/bad idea) BikeCourier 7,155 9 10/26/21 06:04 PM
by LogicaL Chaos
* Re: Mushroom Off-topic Poll *IMPORTANT*
( 1 2 3 4 5 all )
ThorA 15,039 81 04/03/01 05:26 PM
by ralphster44
* (off topic) damn i'm unlucky. matjiz 267 0 07/16/05 01:54 PM
by
* Important - All Cultivators please read.
( 1 2 3 4 5 6 all )
ThorA 43,979 103 05/31/05 03:35 AM
by Anno
* VOTE!! Outdoor Cultivation Forum w/Moe For Mod!!
( 1 2 3 4 all )
TM 25,047 73 04/13/10 01:30 AM
by jingus
* Cultivation as a Hobby! phrozendata 1,653 9 06/08/02 05:48 PM
by girlskater
* Re: Cultivation Video Teks 12BLate 3,595 13 01/24/00 02:00 PM
by Ryche Hawk
* weilli cultivation downforpot 1,321 3 12/21/01 07:13 AM
by puscle

Extra information
You cannot start new topics / You cannot reply to topics
HTML is disabled / BBCode is enabled
Moderator: Shroomism, george castanza, RogerRabbit, veggie, mushboy, fahtster, the_chosen_one, LogicaL Chaos, 13shrooms, hamloaf, cronicr, Stipe-n Cap, Pastywhyte, bodhisatta, Tormato, Land Trout, A.k.a
464,281 topic views. 13 members, 178 guests and 167 web crawlers are browsing this forum.
[ Show Images Only | Sort by Score | Print Topic ]
Search this thread:

Copyright 1997-2026 Mind Media. Some rights reserved.

Generated in 0.062 seconds spending 0.028 seconds on 16 queries.