Home | Community | Message Board

MushroomMan Mycology
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.


Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore Bulk Substrate   Sporeworks.EU Spores for European Microscopy   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Mushroom-Hut Grow Bags   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: < First | | 3879 | 3880 | 3881 | 3882 | 3883 | 3884 | 3885 | 3886 | 3887 | 3888 | 3889 | 3890 | 3891 | 3892 | 3893 | 3894 | 3895 | 3896 | 3897 | 3898 | 3899 | | Last >
Re: Ask Quick Questions, Get Quick Answers [Re: Splittinghairs]
    #29638484 -

are you talking about the "hot shake" after sterilization?

there was some TC here that said he found grain prep a waste of time. here's his post, is very good:

https://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/28052502#28052502

his water ratio to oats is pretty much aligned with other guys ratios. 100g of oats to 75-85g of water.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Ask Quick Questions, Get Quick Answers [Re: droner66]
    #29638505 -

droner66 said:
Should there be no sediment when mixed properly is my question?



For water plates, no then you burned the agar agar is my guess, post a picture.


--------------------
“All Fungi are edible.

Some fungi are only edible once.”
― Terry Pratchett


Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Ask Quick Questions, Get Quick Answers [Re: Chiron098]
    #29638520 -

Chiron098 said:
are you talking about the "hot shake" after sterilization?

there was some TC here that said he found grain prep a waste of time. here's his post, is very good:

https://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/28052502#28052502

his water ratio to oats is pretty much aligned with other guys ratios. 100g of oats to 75-85g of water.



Guessing yeah. With millet especially, it will clump and dry together pretty badly if you don’t shake immediately with no prep.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Ask Quick Questions, Get Quick Answers [Re: Splittinghairs]
    #29638553 -






My BRF jars are fruiting, even though they aren't fully colonized yet.

This is happening with all five jars. Can you tell me why? And what would you do with the jars?

Wait until they're fully colonized? Or take them out of the jars, harvest the mushrooms, and then roll them in vermiculite/coir and put them in a water tub?


--------------------
resistance is futile you will be assimilated

:robawet:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Ask Quick Questions, Get Quick Answers [Re: wearetheborg]
    #29638565 -

Geez. They must be fighting some serious shit or the cake was way too dry.

How big are those jars? You were making BRF cakes right?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Ask Quick Questions, Get Quick Answers [Re: Splittinghairs]
    #29638568 -

It’s very possible that they’re dry. It’s been 20 years since I last made BRF cakes; I actually tried making BRF pucks recently, too, and they were definitely too dry. But that’s another story. The jars are 440 ml in size.


--------------------
resistance is futile you will be assimilated

:robawet:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Ask Quick Questions, Get Quick Answers [Re: wearetheborg]
    #29638590 -

Damn, those are some big cakes. I never went above 360ml, of which ~60ml is the dry vermiculite layer on top.

Anyway, when inoculating you can try to push the needle closer to the glass on the side with the cut. And make sure the liquid reaches the bottom, even if just a little. If it germinates along the path you get colonization in lines along the jar — which should shorten the times.

Regarding the mushrooms — I would take the cakes out and remove the uncolonized part as cleanly as possible. I would fruit them outside and then do the dunk and roll afterwards. But I could be wrong.

Let's see what the others say.

Hugs :heart:


--------------------
"Little shark in da bathtub"

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Ask Quick Questions, Get Quick Answers [Re: Belintaf] * 1
    #29638596 -

I guess I didn't explain that quite right. It is a BRF cake, but presumably without a dry layer—just BRF, inoculated with agar wedges.


--------------------
resistance is futile you will be assimilated

:robawet:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Ask Quick Questions, Get Quick Answers [Re: wearetheborg]
    #29638612 -

Need some help figuring out what's going on here?  My top guesses are:
- Stange sort of abort
- Actual pins covered in some other mold
- 100% some other mold:shocked:
Supposed to be Mexcana Jalisco, quart of inoculated oats in 100% coir shoebox, 2.5:1.


Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Ask Quick Questions, Get Quick Answers [Re: wearetheborg]
    #29638626 -

Ahh, now I understand.

How long have you been colonizing them?

Honestly, when I used agar or cloned a specimen directly — I always prepared LI for the cakes. Never did it directly.

Seems like a lot of substrate to do it this way. Long way to reach the bottom of the jar and you can't shake it either.

I'm guessing that the empty space in the jar may have been enough to trigger fruiting.


--------------------
"Little shark in da bathtub"

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Ask Quick Questions, Get Quick Answers [Re: Belintaf] * 1
    #29638654 -

The jars were inoculated on July 10th.

On the same day, I also inoculated rye bags in the same way. Everything looks normal there, though nothing is fruiting yet.

But I was able to knead the bags yesterday—something you can't do with BRF jars, as you mentioned. Plus, I managed to get the moisture levels better with the rye.

I’m really unsure about how to proceed. Still, after four months, these are the first fruiting bodies I’ve managed to produce.
:tryingnottodie:


--------------------
resistance is futile you will be assimilated

:robawet:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Ask Quick Questions, Get Quick Answers [Re: wearetheborg] * 1
    #29638671 -

Ive experimented a ton with different kinds of cake recipes and messed up the subs many times and it wasnt abl to colonize in the densest stickiest parts, I always birthed them when they're no longer progressing, scoop out the oncolonized parts with a tea spoon and soak them overnight as per usual business, cant remember a single time this backfires, every messed up cake fruited normally from what was left of the colonized cake :super: gl


wearetheborg said:
The jars were inoculated on July 10th.




If they\re pinning inside the jar after 3 weeks of colonizing they probably decided that there isnt more suitable environment to conquer and its fruiting mode, If they\re bacterial or moldy youll smell the bacteria and notice the mold, but I think its just dense parts in the substrate causing early pinning


--------------------
Cakes inside Water Tub with optimal Surface Conditions

Edited by Mateja (08/02/26 03:56 PM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Ask Quick Questions, Get Quick Answers [Re: Mateja]
    #29638683 -

Has anyone successfully revived 2.5 + year old tissue from agar dishes and grown to spore and if so what was it like?


--------------------
----<><><>----
⁂ tail-lights, back-pockets, rearview mirrors ⁂

⁂ guides | grows | supreme air box | sporeaddict ⁂

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Ask Quick Questions, Get Quick Answers [Re: fiddle_head]
    #29638689 -

I havent personally but I do know it would have senesced. It'll be laggy, weak, and definitely not optimal. But being able to get back to those new spores would be like it being new again 😎 culture storage isn't great. Inbreeding isn't great either. So wtf are we supposed to do 🤔 😂

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Ask Quick Questions, Get Quick Answers [Re: Mateja] * 2
    #29638691 -

Thanks to everyone for your replies.:bow2:

I'll tackle this tomorrow, then.

- Turn the cakes out of the jars
- Scoop out any uncolonized areas
- Harvest the mushrooms
- Soak overnight
- Roll in vermiculite
- Place in the water tub


--------------------
resistance is futile you will be assimilated

:robawet:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Ask Quick Questions, Get Quick Answers [Re: wearetheborg]
    #29638897 -

I'm new here, have one good grow under my belt, and trying for another. Ive had some problems with bacillus/yeast contam and I'm not sure if these are contaminated or not. I have a bunch but these are 3 transfers I recently did and I'm not sure if they are myc or contam. 2 are from one plate that was really strong rhizo growth, the other is from a different strain, spore swab. Can anyone identify?




Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Ask Quick Questions, Get Quick Answers [Re: fiddle_head]
    #29638907 -

fiddle_head said:
Has anyone successfully revived 2.5 + year old tissue from agar dishes and grown to spore and if so what was it like?



I have my original kodama clone on cryo vial thanks to Scemi who has it catalogued. I ran it at I want to say 3 years? And I think the original plate was still being run for 2 before I gave it away.

I will say it does show some signs of aging. It doesn't do what it did initially, but maybe that's explainable by essentially having been fractioned off to T4 or so by that point.

Anyway I'm rambling. Plates and stored wedges can last 2.5 years no problem.


--------------------
A Love Letter to New Growers
The 7 Edicts of Mushroom Cultivation as Decreed by Smellyhobbit

:kodama:


Anyone can get a canopy. But can you get what you want?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Ask Quick Questions, Get Quick Answers [Re: Smellyhobbit]
    #29638928 -

Smellyhobbit said:
fiddle_head said:
Has anyone successfully revived 2.5 + year old tissue from agar dishes and grown to spore and if so what was it like?



I have my original kodama clone on cryo vial thanks to Scemi who has it catalogued. I ran it at I want to say 3 years? And I think the original plate was still being run for 2 before I gave it away.

I will say it does show some signs of aging. It doesn't do what it did initially, but maybe that's explainable by essentially having been fractioned off to T4 or so by that point.

Anyway I'm rambling. Plates and stored wedges can last 2.5 years no problem.



Yes, they have lasted and will continue to do so. Considering going skeet shooting with them but I haven't decided yet. Maybe I'll try to grow a couple out and run them side by side.


--------------------
----<><><>----
⁂ tail-lights, back-pockets, rearview mirrors ⁂

⁂ guides | grows | supreme air box | sporeaddict ⁂

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Ask Quick Questions, Get Quick Answers [Re: randomushy77]
    #29638937 -

randomushy77 said:
I'm new here, have one good grow under my belt, and trying for another. Ive had some problems with bacillus/yeast contam and I'm not sure if these are contaminated or not. I have a bunch but these are 3 transfers I recently did and I'm not sure if they are myc or contam. 2 are from one plate that was really strong rhizo growth, the other is from a different strain, spore swab. Can anyone identify?







All contaminated, unfortunately.  Looks like a slime mold possibly but idk for sure.  What I do know is that it isn’t the mycelium you’re hoping for

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Ask Quick Questions, Get Quick Answers [Re: fahtster]
    #29638948 -

Thank you, I appreciate it. What's strange is the one I got those transfers from looked textbook, strong rhizo growth. I took all my transfers and the next day I looked at the plate I got the transfers from and all the rhizo growth was gone as if it melted into a wax puddle.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Jump to top Pages: < First | | 3879 | 3880 | 3881 | 3882 | 3883 | 3884 | 3885 | 3886 | 3887 | 3888 | 3889 | 3890 | 3891 | 3892 | 3893 | 3894 | 3895 | 3896 | 3897 | 3898 | 3899 | | Last >

Shop: North Spore Bulk Substrate   Sporeworks.EU Spores for European Microscopy   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Mushroom-Hut Grow Bags   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale


Similar ThreadsPosterViewsRepliesLast post
* quick question, finished colonizing? usefulidiot 1,848 1 04/06/03 04:31 PM
by kindkesey
* Quick Question grateful_head 1,233 2 08/18/01 01:40 PM
by Billyblastoff
* New to the boards, and a quick question to start ! Anonymous 1,825 4 03/11/02 01:18 AM
by 2shrewmen
* some quick questions about my treasure coasts alf 3,840 19 11/15/01 11:54 PM
by Anonymous
* Quick Question needs quick answer Wheedhead! 1,176 2 01/19/03 07:06 AM
by Wheedhead!
* quick question SuppaFly 1,039 1 09/18/02 02:41 PM
by mickey_rourke
* Re: Quick Question
( 1 2 all )
Anonymous 4,527 22 06/14/00 03:46 AM
by hitterg
* Quick Question LXTC 1,801 11 09/24/02 08:09 PM
by LXTC

Extra information
You cannot start new topics / You cannot reply to topics
HTML is disabled / BBCode is enabled
Moderator: Shroomism, george castanza, RogerRabbit, veggie, mushboy, fahtster, the_chosen_one, LogicaL Chaos, 13shrooms, hamloaf, cronicr, Stipe-n Cap, Pastywhyte, bodhisatta, Tormato, Land Trout, A.k.a
1,153,583 topic views. 23 members, 162 guests and 101 web crawlers are browsing this forum.
[ Show Images Only | Sort by Score | Print Topic ]
Search this thread:

Copyright 1997-2026 Mind Media. Some rights reserved.

Generated in 0.08 seconds spending 0.054 seconds on 16 queries.