Home | Community | Message Board

Sporeworks
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.


Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   North Spore Injection Grain Bag   Sporeworks.EU Spores for European Microscopy   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: < First | | 1483 | 1484 | 1485 | 1486 | 1487 | 1488 | 1489 | 1490 | 1491 | 1492 | 1493 | 1494 | 1495 | 1496 | 1497 | 1498 | 1499 | 1500 | 1501 | 1502 | 1503 | | Last >
Re: AGAR ENVY! (Anything and All things agar!) [Re: LotKid] * 4
    #29314268 -

LotKid said:
And why does it need a roof?



To make 'em work for it. 😂

Mostly it's a tool used to hinder bacteria but can  also be used for selecting strong fast moving myc.
It's basically an obstacle course that our chosen are better at overcoming than our bacterial rivals are. Bacteria has low motility out of water, our mycelium is better at crossing the empty gap and fighting it's way out of the sequester.
An agar roof, no roof/trenching also works well. Doesn't help as much with molds unfortunately.


--------------------
This hobby has taught me many things.
Most of those things are patience.


The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Shroomery
The Official Shroomery Cultivation Museum
CakeWars
III

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: AGAR ENVY! (Anything and All things agar!) [Re: LotKid] * 1
    #29314278 -

LotKid said:
And why does it need a roof?



Remember ye olde sandwich tek?


--------------------
"Remember, kids, the difference between science and screwing around is writing it down" -adam savage
Flowchart for Recommended plan of action.
Learn the tried and true way to grow mushrooms
Use the Damn search engine
After you know what you're doing, take a break 
Pick a book, Make some chips!
Josex said:Don't take the site seriously bro, ain't worth it.
 

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: AGAR ENVY! (Anything and All things agar!) [Re: tryptkaloids]
    #29314280 -

Scemilope said:
LotKid said:
And why does it need a roof?



To make 'em work for it. 😂

Mostly it's a tool used to hinder bacteria but can  also be used for selecting strong fast moving myc.
It's basically an obstacle course that our chosen are better at overcoming than our bacterial rivals are. Bacteria has low motility out of water, our mycelium is better at crossing the empty gap and fighting it's way out of the sequester.
An agar roof, no roof/trenching also works well. Doesn't help as much with molds unfortunately.



well, i guess if you have no other options or backups and need to save a culture that's worth it's weight in gold.... cool


tryptkaloids said:
LotKid said:
And why does it need a roof?



Remember ye olde sandwich tek?



yeah, i smelled a reinvention of the wheel at play


--------------------

:mushroom2: LotKid's PE Tips        :shpongle:    LotKid's Chocolates :mushroom2:
:dancingbear: :dancingbear:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: AGAR ENVY! (Anything and All things agar!) [Re: tryptkaloids] * 3
    #29314281 -





X7x+ 2 days after first transfer


How we lookin so far?


--------------------
All that you see in front of you is how you feel inside your head. - AW



Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: AGAR ENVY! (Anything and All things agar!) [Re: LotKid]
    #29314285 -

LotKid said:
Scemilope said:
LotKid said:
And why does it need a roof?



To make 'em work for it. 😂

Mostly it's a tool used to hinder bacteria but can  also be used for selecting strong fast moving myc.
It's basically an obstacle course that our chosen are better at overcoming than our bacterial rivals are. Bacteria has low motility out of water, our mycelium is better at crossing the empty gap and fighting it's way out of the sequester.
An agar roof, no roof/trenching also works well. Doesn't help as much with molds unfortunately.



well, i guess if you have no other options or backups and need to save a culture that's worth it's weight in gold.... cool


tryptkaloids said:
LotKid said:
And why does it need a roof?



Remember ye olde sandwich tek?



yeah, i smelled a reinvention of the wheel at play





--------------------
"Remember, kids, the difference between science and screwing around is writing it down" -adam savage
Flowchart for Recommended plan of action.
Learn the tried and true way to grow mushrooms
Use the Damn search engine
After you know what you're doing, take a break 
Pick a book, Make some chips!
Josex said:Don't take the site seriously bro, ain't worth it.
 

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: AGAR ENVY! (Anything and All things agar!) [Re: tryptkaloids]
    #29314296 -

:curbyourenthusiasm:


--------------------

:mushroom2: LotKid's PE Tips        :shpongle:    LotKid's Chocolates :mushroom2:
:dancingbear: :dancingbear:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: AGAR ENVY! (Anything and All things agar!) [Re: LotKid] * 1
    #29314442 -

Blessings upon Mackload and Mashiro.

Whatever this cloud is that is submarining my agar, I do not think cabining will stop it.  I never would have seen it, if it weren't for my clear 1%.

Two of my cultures are just about ready for grain.  They were not affected by the bacterial cloud.

I must be very careful in the transfer, as the last one I got massive trich in the tops of every jar.  As the wedges were embedded, this was obviously from opening the lids in my contam SAB.  So now lids only get cracked minimally, and plates get handled vertically.

I want shrooms before I die.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: AGAR ENVY! (Anything and All things agar!) [Re: anders] * 4
    #29314484 -

anders said:
I want shrooms before I die.



You'll get there if you take advice.

anders said:
Yep, I have excised all the green out of the plates (right after these pics), and it should clear up alot.






We told you this isnt a good idea. You moved mold around in your grow space instead of disposing of it. We transfer from clean growth as soon as possible for that reason


--------------------
"Remember, kids, the difference between science and screwing around is writing it down" -adam savage
Flowchart for Recommended plan of action.
Learn the tried and true way to grow mushrooms
Use the Damn search engine
After you know what you're doing, take a break 
Pick a book, Make some chips!
Josex said:Don't take the site seriously bro, ain't worth it.
 

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: AGAR ENVY! (Anything and All things agar!) [Re: tryptkaloids]
    #29314517 -

I don't take no advice...  :frown: {snif}

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: AGAR ENVY! (Anything and All things agar!) [Re: anders] * 1
    #29314521 -

Dont feel bad! The only failure is giving  up!


--------------------
"Remember, kids, the difference between science and screwing around is writing it down" -adam savage
Flowchart for Recommended plan of action.
Learn the tried and true way to grow mushrooms
Use the Damn search engine
After you know what you're doing, take a break 
Pick a book, Make some chips!
Josex said:Don't take the site seriously bro, ain't worth it.
 

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: AGAR ENVY! (Anything and All things agar!) [Re: tryptkaloids] * 3
    #29314646 -

anders said:
I don't take no advice...  :frown: {snif}



We've noticed


--------------------

:mushroom2: LotKid's PE Tips        :shpongle:    LotKid's Chocolates :mushroom2:
:dancingbear: :dancingbear:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: AGAR ENVY! (Anything and All things agar!) [Re: LotKid]
    #29315102 -

Does this transfer look isolated? This is on lme regular recipe agar. Next round of agar I'll go half lme to try to get heartier growth.



The 5 o'clock growth seems like a good choice for next transfer, yes? I couldn't get the piece off my scalpel and got a few points of growth.



--------------------




Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: AGAR ENVY! (Anything and All things agar!) [Re: Centerfinger] * 1
    #29315107 -

Pic one send it and get clones


--------------------
It doesn't matter what i think of you...all that matters is clean spawn
I'm tired do me a favor

I'M A MEMBER FIRST, TC WHEN NEEDED AND MOD WHEN I HAVE TO BE !!!

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: AGAR ENVY! (Anything and All things agar!) [Re: cronicr] * 1
    #29315123 -

Healthier growth?

I don't see anything wrong with pic number one. I'd be happy with that.

Don't create problems just to fix them

I'd send some transfers of pic one to a couple of plates and some grain.

Since pic two is the same thing but doesn't look as good, i wouldn't even fuck with it. I'd just toss it.


--------------------

:mushroom2: LotKid's PE Tips        :shpongle:    LotKid's Chocolates :mushroom2:
:dancingbear: :dancingbear:

Edited by LotKid (08/16/25 12:39 PM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: AGAR ENVY! (Anything and All things agar!) [Re: LotKid]
    #29315151 -

Id take from 6 on that one for shits n gigs. But ive grown shit out to throw it away a lot lol


--------------------
"Remember, kids, the difference between science and screwing around is writing it down" -adam savage
Flowchart for Recommended plan of action.
Learn the tried and true way to grow mushrooms
Use the Damn search engine
After you know what you're doing, take a break 
Pick a book, Make some chips!
Josex said:Don't take the site seriously bro, ain't worth it.
 

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: AGAR ENVY! (Anything and All things agar!) [Re: anders]
    #29315154 -

anders said:
Whatever this cloud is that is submarining my agar, I do not think cabining will stop it.  I never would have seen it, if it weren't for my clear 1%.

Two of my cultures are just about ready for grain.  They were not affected by the bacterial cloud.



You know?  It is looking like this 'cloud' is just normal gelling of the MEA.  My control plate has it now equal to the others, with no sign of any contamination.  This is the first time I've done 1% so do not know what to look for.  I suspect I panicked too soon.  This is normal for 1% MEA.

But def excising all green is a good move, at least in my case where I use 4 quadrants.  Things are going very well now.

My PC is from my experiments way back, and now it is actually sealing after I treated the gasket with walnut oil.  It is practically reaching 2 bar!  I can not believe it.

In my struggles to get it up to pressure I did more than 5 cooks of this jarred grain, and ended up burning the shit out of it.  All trash.  I do though have another 4 quarts which I'm PCing now and another batch in soak for cooking.  I will strain off the soak water and sterilize that for hydration of sub.  Why?  Why not?

I am very interested in the results of the Rev's new grain when he gets them in.

And whenever will sleepydave return?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: AGAR ENVY! (Anything and All things agar!) [Re: anders] * 1
    #29315168 -

anders said:
anders said:
Whatever this cloud is that is submarining my agar, I do not think cabining will stop it.  I never would have seen it, if it weren't for my clear 1%.

Two of my cultures are just about ready for grain.  They were not affected by the bacterial cloud.



You know?  It is looking like this 'cloud' is just normal gelling of the MEA.  My control plate has it now equal to the others, with no sign of any contamination.  This is the first time I've done 1% so do not know what to look for.  I suspect I panicked too soon.  This is normal for 1% MEA.

But def excising all green is a good move, at least in my case where I use 4 quadrants.  Things are going very well now.

My PC is from my experiments way back, and now it is actually sealing after I treated the gasket with walnut oil.  It is practically reaching 2 bar!  I can not believe it.

In my struggles to get it up to pressure I did more than 5 cooks of this jarred grain, and ended up burning the shit out of it.  All trash.  I do though have another 4 quarts which I'm PCing now and another batch in soak for cooking.  I will strain off the soak water and sterilize that for hydration of sub.  Why?  Why not?

I am very interested in the results of the Rev's new grain when he gets them in.

And whenever will sleepydave return?







--------------------

:mushroom2: LotKid's PE Tips        :shpongle:    LotKid's Chocolates :mushroom2:
:dancingbear: :dancingbear:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: AGAR ENVY! (Anything and All things agar!) [Re: anders] * 2
    #29315207 -

Now you're doubling down on spreading mold around?
anders said:
Quote:
anders said:.  I will strain off the soak water and sterilize that for hydration of sub.  Why?  Why not?




Because grain water, and other nutritius subs will mold unless colonized in a sterile environment.


--------------------
"Remember, kids, the difference between science and screwing around is writing it down" -adam savage
Flowchart for Recommended plan of action.
Learn the tried and true way to grow mushrooms
Use the Damn search engine
After you know what you're doing, take a break 
Pick a book, Make some chips!
Josex said:Don't take the site seriously bro, ain't worth it.
 

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: AGAR ENVY! (Anything and All things agar!) [Re: tryptkaloids]
    #29315215 -

Wouldn't sterilization matter?

If not I am happy to forget it.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: AGAR ENVY! (Anything and All things agar!) [Re: tryptkaloids]
    #29315220 -






Looking at the pink plates, when would you transfer these to grain? Mycelium looks a little weak because I made the mistake of only using nutrient agar and nothing else. It was my first time trying to make agar plates. But I was told my a TC that I could still send it to grain and it would do alright as long as it was healthy and free of contamination.

Black plates are just for fun. Just love how clean the white looks on a black plate.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Jump to top Pages: < First | | 1483 | 1484 | 1485 | 1486 | 1487 | 1488 | 1489 | 1490 | 1491 | 1492 | 1493 | 1494 | 1495 | 1496 | 1497 | 1498 | 1499 | 1500 | 1501 | 1502 | 1503 | | Last >

Shop: MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   North Spore Injection Grain Bag   Sporeworks.EU Spores for European Microscopy   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale


Similar ThreadsPosterViewsRepliesLast post
* buying agar - help sinisha 3,833 6 03/31/06 05:49 AM
by FractalXplora
* cheapest glass petri dishes, agar, dextrose, etc Fluxburn 8,385 8 02/14/05 07:57 AM
by Roadkill
* Potato Dextrose Agar X Malt Extract Agar Alegalize 7,003 8 02/25/05 11:03 AM
by agar
* test tubes agar fungophiliac 3,698 8 06/19/20 09:41 PM
by gorilliam
* LOOK! Big AGAR problem. Ever seen this? Not I. need advice BAD! agentstone 5,321 12 03/30/20 10:37 AM
by Surf707
* Agar and the global economy Dem_Bones 1,934 4 03/01/06 09:08 AM
by Dem_Bones
* Agar question WormholeSurfer 1,691 3 10/29/05 07:10 PM
by agar
* Agar's Home Made Compost recipe for bulk substrates
( 1 2 3 4 all )
agar 22,296 75 02/12/21 05:50 AM
by Bart84

Extra information
You cannot start new topics / You cannot reply to topics
HTML is disabled / BBCode is enabled
Moderator: Shroomism, george castanza, RogerRabbit, veggie, mushboy, fahtster, the_chosen_one, LogicaL Chaos, 13shrooms, hamloaf, cronicr, Stipe-n Cap, Pastywhyte, bodhisatta, Tormato, Land Trout, A.k.a
775,547 topic views. 23 members, 66 guests and 198 web crawlers are browsing this forum.
[ Show Images Only | Sort by Score | Print Topic ]
Search this thread:

Copyright 1997-2026 Mind Media. Some rights reserved.

Generated in 0.051 seconds spending 0.028 seconds on 18 queries.