Home | Community | Message Board


This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.


Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Sporeworks.EU Spores for European Microscopy   North Spore Injection Grain Bag

Jump to first unread post Pages: < First | | 1446 | 1447 | 1448 | 1449 | 1450 | 1451 | 1452 | 1453 | 1454 | 1455 | 1456 | 1457 | 1458 | 1459 | 1460 | 1461 | 1462 | 1463 | 1464 | 1465 | 1466 | | Last >
Re: AGAR ENVY! (Anything and All things agar!) [Re: Arwin]
    #29217882 -

leading edge of fast, organized growth, ideally. rhizo or tomentose doesn't matter.


--------------------
Learn it, know it, live it


Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: AGAR ENVY! (Anything and All things agar!) [Re: Mackload] * 1
    #29217908 -

Hey guys,

can you have a look at my dishes please?

Psilocybe cubensis ‚Australia‘ (blue meanie) T4-plates:

There was a transparent halo around the myc in the first week after transfering. (3-5 mm broad)
Over time it looked like the myc overtook the halo.
There is only a small halo left, just about half an mm.
What is your opinion?
Some say its normal with tormentose myc especially on early transfers, others say is mostly like a bacterial contam.
I feel uncertain and not sure which advice might be right.
The first picture shows the halo when it was still a little broader, about 2 mm. (on T3-plate)
There is one section which grows faster than the rest of the dish and this section is the only area where the halo is completely gone. Should i transfer from there?

Agar recipe:

1 liter destilled water
20 grams of agar
17.5 grams of malt exctract
1 gram of yeast

Thanks in advance.

Psychedelicmind



Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: AGAR ENVY! (Anything and All things agar!) [Re: psychedelicmind]
    #29217953 -

Does anyone have examples of growth on water agar?


--------------------
A Love Letter to New Growers
The 7 Edicts of Mushroom Cultivation as Decreed by Smellyhobbit

:kodama:


Anyone can get a canopy. But can you get what you want?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: AGAR ENVY! (Anything and All things agar!) [Re: Smellyhobbit] * 2
    #29218016 -


SNAPE on water agar. Probably not the best example because I was having a lot of trouble getting that one clean.


--------------------
Stoned Gummys | BRF Pucks | Primo Reusable Plates | Easy LI 4 Preserv & Propo
"Psychedelics are powerful substances. Nothing that powerful is completely safe... and nothing completely safe is that powerful!" - Abigail Calder at ALPS 2023
Don't Panic

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: AGAR ENVY! (Anything and All things agar!) [Re: Smellyhobbit] * 2
    #29218036 -

Smellyhobbit said:
My plates have been acting very strange lately...Any ideas?




Have you tried playing classical music for them?

Kidding. I got nothing.

Pic VAT: x7x+ plin looking uncircumcised, and budding a forest of plins.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: AGAR ENVY! (Anything and All things agar!) [Re: psychedelicmind] * 1
    #29218060 -

Give sequestering a shot.
(Cabin Sequestering, I'm doing that without the "roof")
Should get rid of the halo if it's bacteria.
Other than that, I'd say it looks good.

Example:


Never had cube mycelium grow exactly like that personally, but when there's a halo on my plates, it's usually delivered with bacteria.
Forcing the mycelium to make a "leap of faith" usually gets rid of whatever's there, if there is anything at all.

I've had very weird looking mycelium with halos turn out to be just fine, but I started doing this before sending anything to grain some time ago just to make sure. Can't say I've tossed many jars since then.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: AGAR ENVY! (Anything and All things agar!) [Re: MycCycle] * 1
    #29218097 -

So some of you might remember I posted a couple pics of a plate that had bacteria on it and was being taken over by aggressive rhizo growth from ochra/nats. Well I never tossed that plate because I was just curious to see what would happen to it. That aggressive myc eventually took over the entire plate completely covering and masking the contam. I left the plate to be and still refused to toss it, just for experimental experience. Well I was away for four days and came home to this last night… It now has a bunch of plins on it. What would you do? Do I open it and transfer the plins to new plates giving them new life? Or just let them go on and live out their life in the plate along with the contam hiding underneath the myc? Check out the following photos…

This was the plate back on April 24th which was inoculated on 3/28 with a spore print…





This is the plate tonight on May 14th…




Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: AGAR ENVY! (Anything and All things agar!) [Re: MycCycle]
    #29218255 -

what is the difference between cabin sequestering without a roof and trenching?

:strokebeard:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: AGAR ENVY! (Anything and All things agar!) [Re: oat bag] * 8
    #29218321 -

The difference from trenching is that you’re using a fresh and clean plate instead of cutting a trench into a contaminated one, which risks spreading bacteria even more. You also take just a small, healthy-looking sample, which further reduces the chance of dragging contamination along.
(That’s my logic behind doing transfers like this.)

The gap is helpful to shake off bacterial contamination, but it's not as efficient as CS.

CS works on similar principles but adds another element: the mycelium has to physically force its way through clean agar, which acts like a mechanical filter.
That tunneling not only blocks bacteria, but it also (supposedly) naturally selects for stronger, more aggressive mycelium.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: AGAR ENVY! (Anything and All things agar!) [Re: MycCycle]
    #29218571 -

Thanks!! That is a very helpful write up. I love CS for my own agar work already after running a handful of cultures through the process, and seeing the results others are having here. You’ve expanded my understanding of it a good deal here too.


I’m still very curious about CS without a roof specifically.


MycCycle said:
CS works on similar principles but adds another element: the mycelium has to physically force its way through clean agar, which acts like a mechanical filter.
That tunneling not only blocks bacteria, but it also (supposedly) naturally selects for stronger, more aggressive mycelium.



The roof ensures the mycelium has to tunnel to get out, ya? So doing this without a roof, the mycelium does have to cross the gap on a new plate (better than just trenching on the old plate) but it can crawl up the side of the agar without needing to tunnel, ya? Sorry if I’m being pedantic. If there is a reason to omit the roof I’m all ears but at that point it isn’t really CS, right? CS benefits from tunneling but CS without a roof doesn’t force tunneling so is it CS?

Sorry if I come across as a bother, I am trying to learn and I appreciate your earlier response very much.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: AGAR ENVY! (Anything and All things agar!) [Re: oat bag] * 2
    #29218599 -

2024-12-11 said:
Thanks!! That is a very helpful write up. I love CS for my own agar work already after running a handful of cultures through the process, and seeing the results others are having here. You’ve expanded my understanding of it a good deal here too.


I’m still very curious about CS without a roof specifically.


MycCycle said:
CS works on similar principles but adds another element: the mycelium has to physically force its way through clean agar, which acts like a mechanical filter.
That tunneling not only blocks bacteria, but it also (supposedly) naturally selects for stronger, more aggressive mycelium.



The roof ensures the mycelium has to tunnel to get out, ya? So doing this without a roof, the mycelium does have to cross the gap on a new plate (better than just trenching on the old plate) but it can crawl up the side of the agar without needing to tunnel, ya? Sorry if I’m being pedantic. If there is a reason to omit the roof I’m all ears but at that point it isn’t really CS, right? CS benefits from tunneling but CS without a roof doesn’t force tunneling so is it CS?

Sorry if I come across as a bother, I am trying to learn and I appreciate your earlier response very much.




No bother at all, these exact same questions made me question the process.

I had an issue with accepting the fact that Grzybowski presented this process with an improvised agar "coverslip" instead of an actual coverslip, which was never intended or tried by the authors of the research paper, as far as I understood. It went to a point where I reached out them and asked for clarification. They confirmed that they used a glass coverslip.

The glass coverslip's purpose is to isolate the tissue and force the mycelium to grow outwards.

A byproduct of this is the tunnelling, which may/may not act as a mechanical filter.
A byproduct of using an agar coverslip, is that you give the bacteria another medium to grown on, and having no glass coverslips, I decided to skip this step.
I'd like to mention that all three variants seem to work. I prefer using the roofless cabin, as it's the least work and satisfies my needs.


I'm no biologist and have no academic competence to back this up, but my understanding of the concept, in short:

Bacteria can latch onto mycelium to help with its motility and expansion even though it needs biofilm/moisture and a medium that is soft enough to move in.
Bacteria cannot stretch through air and open spaces, unless it's somehow blown there or moved with moisture.
Creating a gap like that itself should therefore be sufficient to shake off any potential bacteria as bacteria don't really have any mechanics that allow for it to latch on to the mycelium through the gap, and as you can see on the x7x(+) plate, it almost looks as if one of the sides decided that "Alright boys, we focus on this direction", which to me is a sign that there is something more aggressive there, than throughout the rest.


As mentioned earlier; I've found my success rates increase, times and resources spent shortened after doing this throughout every transfer.
I am only stating correlation here, not causation. As it takes a lot more work than what I have put in, to state as a fact that the sequestering is the only/main reason for the improvement.


I took these now as an illustration, so it's Ochra, Bluey and x7x(+), to show the different stages.



Edited by MycCycle (05/15/25 08:56 AM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: AGAR ENVY! (Anything and All things agar!) [Re: MycCycle] * 2
    #29218608 -

I didn't realize trenching was done on the contaminated plate, though I've only trenched twice. I made a transfer to a fresh plate, and laid the transfer next to the trench I made. Prolly more than one way to skin that cat, but I suppose trenching the contaminated plate would save some time. 🤷‍♂️


--------------------


Hitchhikers Guide to The Shroomery

Shine on forever, shine on benevolent son
Shine down upon the severed
Shine until the two become one

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: AGAR ENVY! (Anything and All things agar!) [Re: ThurmanMurman] * 1
    #29218636 -

Sure is! Just gap it soon, tap it well, and let the healthiest and most vigorous seeds bring your legacy aforth!

But yeah...
Bacteria can't fly.
Just make a gap.
Ain't more complicated than that.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: AGAR ENVY! (Anything and All things agar!) [Re: AZ Starman2112]
    #29218671 -

AZ Starman2112 said:
So some of you might remember I posted a couple pics of a plate that had bacteria on it and was being taken over by aggressive rhizo growth from ochra/nats. Well I never tossed that plate because I was just curious to see what would happen to it. That aggressive myc eventually took over the entire plate completely covering and masking the contam. I left the plate to be and still refused to toss it, just for experimental experience. Well I was away for four days and came home to this last night… It now has a bunch of plins on it. What would you do? Do I open it and transfer the plins to new plates giving them new life? Or just let them go on and live out their life in the plate along with the contam hiding underneath the myc? Check out the following photos…

This was the plate back on April 24th which was inoculated on 3/28 with a spore print…





This is the plate tonight on May 14th…







In addition I found this this morning on a plate that I took transfers from a couple weeks ago. I put the plate at the bottom of the pile figuring I’d eventually just toss it. The T1 plates have gone aggressively rhizo, and ready to go to grain, and then I saw this! Wondering now what to do with the plate I referenced above as well as this Mazatapec giant plin?


Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: AGAR ENVY! (Anything and All things agar!) [Re: AZ Starman2112] * 2
    #29218678 -

@az: Cloning pins can be a crapshoot because maybe the potency is lackluster, could be great as well.

No harm in cloning it, maybe it will be truly great, just do a smaller scale shoebox grow before going too hard with propagating it.

In terms of the contaminated one, you can definitely transfer pins. I also have a plate that the aggressive mycelium overgrew the original contaminate. It had stunted its growth, completely covered it (did this to a yeast and trich on another plate, the trich was fully contained).

Personally, for the sake of science, I will put those two plates to grain, because if it actually managed to digest the contaminate and not juist grow over it, that is basically unprecedented.

THose jars should be fahtlocked or shoeboxed, even top fruited. But knowing that a culture can actually win against a contamination would be insane.











I know all of our shared scientific knowledge says it should fail, but my inner wizard trusts the mycelium.


--------------------
I call them Huskies cause they Mush!


Huskies' Grimoire
The Official Wild Cubensis Thread
Easy Instant Pot Agar
Let's Talk Cowtek

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: AGAR ENVY! (Anything and All things agar!) [Re: Huskies]
    #29218825 -

Huskies said:
I know all of our shared scientific knowledge says it should fail, but my inner wizard trusts the mycelium.



Amen to that! Thanks for your answer! I might take and post this whole thing in the quick question thread as well. Curious to see what others say as well.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: AGAR ENVY! (Anything and All things agar!) [Re: Tormato]
    #29219886 -

Does any of you use or find the 2 and 3 compartment plates useful?

I know RR used these in some of his videos, but I can't remember having seen anyone use them here, since I started lurking

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: AGAR ENVY! (Anything and All things agar!) [Re: MycCycle] * 3
    #29219940 -

MycCycle said:
Does any of you use or find the 2 and 3 compartment plates useful?

I know RR used these in some of his videos, but I can't remember having seen anyone use them here, since I started lurking



Maybe, I do sometimes put more than one transfer on a plate.


Bispo


Or maybe for something similar to cabin sequesteration, make it climb over a wall instead of out of a hole. Dunno, just spit balling.
I'd probably find excuses to use them if a had them, but don't think I'd go out of my way to stock them.


--------------------
This hobby has taught me many things.
Most of those things are patience.


The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Shroomery
The Official Shroomery Cultivation Museum
CakeWars
III

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: AGAR ENVY! (Anything and All things agar!) [Re: MycCycle] * 3
    #29219941 -

MycCycle said:
Does any of you use or find the 2 and 3 compartment plates useful?

I know RR used these in some of his videos, but I can't remember having seen anyone use them here, since I started lurking



You don’t need compartments to run more than one sample on a plate. You just have to move them before they run into each other. I like to do this when I take multiple samples from spore inoculation. It lets me see what each will do, and move the good ones to their own plate.


Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: AGAR ENVY! (Anything and All things agar!) [Re: MycCycle] * 1
    #29219993 -

Thank you for those great information about Cabin Sequestering, MycCycle.  :smile:
Will try this tek out and hope that it will solve my halo problems.
I overreached myself a little bit. Put about 15 species and varieties on agar and now it takes a lot of time to transfer them regularly.
Especially those who do not look healthy.
But i am relieved to hear that my Cubensis 'Australia' plates look good in your opinion.
Thanks again for your help!

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Jump to top Pages: < First | | 1446 | 1447 | 1448 | 1449 | 1450 | 1451 | 1452 | 1453 | 1454 | 1455 | 1456 | 1457 | 1458 | 1459 | 1460 | 1461 | 1462 | 1463 | 1464 | 1465 | 1466 | | Last >

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Sporeworks.EU Spores for European Microscopy   North Spore Injection Grain Bag


Similar ThreadsPosterViewsRepliesLast post
* Is this contamination or just wet agar? ligma 69 8 10/04/26 01:29 PM
by Agar Wedge
* Agar in the fridge for 6 months, how is it? Yetidude 73 5 10/05/26 03:21 PM
by Yetidude
* buying agar - help sinisha 3,838 6 03/31/06 05:49 AM
by FractalXplora
* cheapest glass petri dishes, agar, dextrose, etc Fluxburn 8,390 8 02/14/05 07:57 AM
by Roadkill
* Potato Dextrose Agar X Malt Extract Agar Alegalize 7,007 8 02/25/05 11:03 AM
by agar
* test tubes agar fungophiliac 3,703 8 06/19/20 09:41 PM
by gorilliam
* LOOK! Big AGAR problem. Ever seen this? Not I. need advice BAD! agentstone 5,325 12 03/30/20 10:37 AM
by Surf707
* Agar and the global economy Dem_Bones 1,939 4 03/01/06 09:08 AM
by Dem_Bones

Extra information
You cannot start new topics / You cannot reply to topics
HTML is disabled / BBCode is enabled
Moderator: Shroomism, george castanza, RogerRabbit, veggie, mushboy, fahtster, the_chosen_one, LogicaL Chaos, 13shrooms, hamloaf, cronicr, Stipe-n Cap, Pastywhyte, bodhisatta, Tormato, Land Trout, A.k.a
776,239 topic views. 16 members, 215 guests and 246 web crawlers are browsing this forum.
[ Show Images Only | Sort by Score | Print Topic ]
Search this thread:

Copyright 1997-2026 Mind Media. Some rights reserved.

Generated in 0.046 seconds spending 0.023 seconds on 16 queries.