Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
InvisibleDHJH
Lurker

Loc: On a mountain
Fresh or dry?
    #2887351 - 07/13/04 07:32 PM (19 years, 9 months ago)

It's been quite some time since I grew some shrooms. I was planning on starting a project with some creepers, south americans, and gonna give puerto ricans a first go. I still use brf/verm because I haven't grown all that much so I use casing as a side/experimental project along with my cakes. My wife and I ate 3 grams of creeper one time, about 48 hours after picking them and noticed those were the most potent ones we ate. Any other shrooms we ate had been sitting for sometime and weren't as potent. You think if we eat them fresh rather than letting them dry they would be significantly more potent? Also what drying/storing procedures do you use to maintain the most potency?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Invisiblejonneill
Hero
Re: Fresh or dry? [Re: DHJH]
    #2887384 - 07/13/04 07:45 PM (19 years, 9 months ago)

Fresh shrooms are inarguably more potent than dried ones. Fresh ones have been preserved from most of the processes that break down psilocin and some of its brother chemicals... oxidation, heat, and simple time.

It is almost a foregone conclusion that the primary active metabolite in shrooms is psilocin, and that psilocybin is broken down into psilocin in the body by any number of esterases in the body, as noted by Shulgin, but it is a fairly unstable compound in the open air and is not, as far as I know, water-soluble. The phosphate ester psilocybin, however, is very stable. In fresh mushrooms, psilocybin and psilocin are present about equally.

In other words: one of the ingredients is stable, the other is not, and they are present about equally in the mushroom. Dried mushrooms inevitably lose some of the psilocin, but little of the psilocybin. So fresh shrooms can be up to twice as potent as dried shrooms, I would guess.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies