Home | Community | Message Board

Azarius
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: Dessicant, Silica Gel

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
Invisiblediseased
Stranger
drying with no fan
    #777621 - 07/26/02 06:21 AM (14 years, 4 months ago)

im just outting mine right into the dessicant chamber without fan drying first due to a temporary situation im in right now. Anyway these fuckers have been in there 3 days, and the big ones still have damp stems. also i keep adding new fresh ones into the chamber which is probably rehydrating the dryer ones. Anyway do you guys think like 4 days to get cracker dry that they will be noticably less potent? I guess what im asking is how long, with moisture in them, will it take before they lose a good portion of their kick in the ass?

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineFanaTEK
Slave to theShroom

Loc: Midwest, US
Re: drying with no fan [Re: diseased]
    #777627 - 07/26/02 06:23 AM (14 years, 4 months ago)

Nah, 4 days ought to be OK. If you want them to dry faster, you can slice the stem in half lengthwise to increase the surface area.

You really ought to fan dry for like 24 hours first, though. You're going to go through a lot of dessicant the way you're doing it.

FanaTEK

--------------------
Read the FAQ!
Read !

OfflineRaadt
nicht

Loc: azurescending
Re: drying with no fan [Re: FanaTEK]
    #778572 - 07/26/02 03:27 PM (14 years, 4 months ago)

baked epsom salts.. who cares!!!!!!!

--------------------
Raadt

-- The information I provide is only information from readings, growing of gourmet mushrooms, and second hand stories--

InvisibleFd3000
I'll eat YOU!

Loc: ^^ His house ^^
Re: drying with no fan [Re: Raadt]
    #778620 - 07/26/02 04:03 PM (14 years, 4 months ago)

Wow wow hold the fuck up...baked epsom salt what did you say?

Your using salt, how, why, how?? I havent been able to find dessicant in like 22 stores, are you trying to tell me i can use salt?!?! How do i prepare it?!?!?

Thanks!
Fd

--------------------

"I could walk up to the president and blow smoke in his stupid monkey face and all he could do is stand there grooving on it" - Homer Simpson

InvisibleFrog31337
Stranger

Loc: Midwest, US
Re: drying with no fan [Re: Fd3000]
    #778655 - 07/26/02 04:30 PM (14 years, 4 months ago)

I just read this earlier this week. (Cannot remember where, if I find it I will post the url)
Basically, they baked it at 400F for an hour and used that in lieu of damp-rid etc. Then recharged it again by baking. I will search now .... Epsom Salt Tek

Edited by Frog31337 (08/27/02 09:57 AM)

Offlineindkebr
Loc: Colorado
Re: drying with no fan [Re: Frog31337]
    #778765 - 07/26/02 06:11 PM (14 years, 4 months ago)

you can use some kinds of kitty litter, which works good! (get the kind that clumps)

--------------------

Anonymous

Re: drying with no fan [Re: diseased]
    #778883 - 07/26/02 07:24 PM (14 years, 4 months ago)

Thinly sliced fruit, placed on a wirescreen (allowing air to reach both sides) Will be ready in 3 days. 4 if it is Humid outside.
You can also dry fruit in the refridgerator.
i dry a lot of cilantro and table mushrooms by placing in a brown paper bag, and putting in the bottom draw of the fridge.
-OoD

Offlinebluhoney
Yes Im a realgirl ,geeesh
Female User Gallery

Re: drying with no fan [Re: Anonymous]
    #778925 - 07/26/02 07:42 PM (14 years, 4 months ago)

Cutting the stems will oxidise alot of the active ingredients, my friend wouldnt do that, Also she wouldnt keep putting fresh mushrooms in with the drying ones, because you can actually cause the drying ones to rot. Refrigeration also dilutes potency after the 2nd day(hence the rubbery, bluish consistency). Put them spaced out on a tray and in a dry place. Give them a few days, and they will be dry. bluhoney

--------------------
Information listed here is for entertainment only and is neither real or proven

Anonymous

Re: drying with no fan [Re: bluhoney]
    #778933 - 07/26/02 07:48 PM (14 years, 4 months ago)

Does it matter if it was not actually 'cut' with steel, but by pulling them apart ?
Could potency be lost?

The suggested method is drying the fruit whole?
humm.....interesting.
thanks
-OoD
PS- I 've yet to eat a rubbery fridge mushy (luckliy)

Offlinefunwithgus
Loc: Philadelphia area
    #778946 - 07/26/02 07:55 PM (14 years, 4 months ago)

I think they would still lose some potency. It doesn't matter how you break the shrooms apart. You're still breaking cells open and exposing the psylocy(bi)n to more oxygen which breaks them down. I'm not sure how much of a difference it makes though. I've read some poeple grind their shrooms into a powder and then ingest them or store them and they still work.

--------------------
Say, can I have some of your purple berries?
Yes, I've been eating them, for six or seven weeks now, haven't got sick once.

Invisiblemickey_rourke
Illegal Smile
Loc: Playa del Carmen
Re: drying with no fan [Re: indkebr]
    #778949 - 07/26/02 07:57 PM (14 years, 4 months ago)

The main reason clumping kitty litter works so well is due to the presence of silica gel -- the blue "crystals" mixed in with the litter. Why not just buy some pure silica gel? I bought some today. For about $10, I got enough silica gel for life.

Here?s a pic of what the bag looks like.

And here?s a pic of the back of the bag (shows ingredients.)

Peace.

--------------------
"I tried to put it all behind me, but my redneck past is nipping at my heels.." -- Ben Folds Five

Offlinebluhoney
Female User Gallery

#779060 - 07/26/02 08:46 PM (14 years, 4 months ago)

Potency would be lost either way. The tall tale sign is discoloration. If you see bluing, thats your potency weakening. And its the best part of the mushroom too. See there are among others,2 chemicals in mushies, the chemical that allows for visuals, psilocin is very unstable, when it breaks down, you get the blueing effect, the other chemical, psilocybin with gives you the euforia and giggles is much more stable and has been known to even survive fresh mushroom freezing, when the cell walls rupture and practically ruin your hard work. So if you want the killer visuals, keep the bluing to a minimum. bluhoney

--------------------

Anonymous

#779073 - 07/26/02 08:52 PM (14 years, 4 months ago)

wow.
thanks, that explains a LOT.
I hope I can return the favor someday
-OoD

Invisiblediseased
Stranger
    #779797 - 07/27/02 09:49 AM (14 years, 4 months ago)

i thought psilocin was coverted into psilocybin it the body so they were the same as far as effects? thats interesting, now i really want to get these fuckers drying as fast as possible...

OfflineSyme
What?
Re: drying with no fan [Re: mickey_rourke]
    #780263 - 07/27/02 02:19 PM (14 years, 4 months ago)

I just went to Target and bought a bag of fresh step along with one of those wire mesh kitchen racks. Cost me about $10 altogether.

InvisibleTM
The Mind, The Many, The Music.
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Under The Table And Dream...
    #781164 - 07/27/02 11:15 PM (14 years, 4 months ago)

I have to disagree here...

Psilocyben gets converted to psilocin which provides all aspects of the trip.

--------------------
================================================

"Have some congratulatory drugs." - C. Montgomery Burns

I'll probably always do drugs, so that just contributes to the addiction to The Shroomery... It's a vicious circle of bliss. :tongue2:

TM™ :cool:

Offlinefunwithgus
Loc: Philadelphia area
Re: drying with no fan [Re: TM]
    #781172 - 07/27/02 11:26 PM (14 years, 4 months ago)

I think you're right. I've read in several different places that both chemicals have the same effects.

--------------------
Say, can I have some of your purple berries?
Yes, I've been eating them, for six or seven weeks now, haven't got sick once.

Edited by funwithgus (07/27/02 11:28 PM)

Offlinebluhoney
Female User Gallery

#781510 - 07/28/02 08:18 AM (14 years, 4 months ago)

Their two separate chemicals. They donot convert to one another. Psilocin is the stronger of the two, but is very unstable, Psilocybin lasts longer but is weaker(hence the giggles and less visuals) Albert Hoffman writes-"Psilocybin (4-phosphoryloxy-N,N-dimethyltryptamine) and its dephosphorylated cousin, psilocin (4-hydroxy-N,N-dimethyltryptamine) [Figure 4a], are the principal active constituents of the entheogenic Psilocybes. They are indole derivatives whose biosynthetic precursor is the amino acid L-tryptophan [Figure 4b]. The amounts of these compounds present in the mushrooms are highly variable, with Psilocybe cubensis -- one of the most active species -- typically yielding up to 1.3% psilocybin and up to .25--.60% psilocin per dried gram."

Psilocybin is the phosphoric acid ester of psilocin and is the only known indole derivative occurring in nature that contains this novel phosphoric acid radical. The phosphoric acid is considered "dead weight" and does not contribute to the compound?s psychedelic effects. Its presence does, however, stabilize the compound. Conversely, psilocin, which lacks this phosphoric radical, is extremely unstable and sensitive to oxidation. It is 1.4 times as active as psilocybin, a ratio corresponding to the molecular weights of the compounds. Psilocin is the "Rolls-Royce" of psychedelics. But by no means am I a scientist, I found this info here here. I may be wrong, but I havent read anything yet about the two converting, but you learn something new everyday bluhoney

--------------------

Edited by bluhoney (07/28/02 08:25 AM)

InvisibleTM
The Mind, The Many, The Music.
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Under The Table And Dream...
    #781543 - 07/28/02 08:40 AM (14 years, 4 months ago)

From the vaults of Erowid:

"Active Ingredients:

The primary effects of mushrooms come from several active alkaloids they contain; the most common are psilocybin, psilocin, and baeocystin. Psilocybin is a more stable compound than psilocin, but is broken down into psilocin after ingestion."

I guess you do learn something every day... That's what makes life worth living.

--------------------
================================================

"Have some congratulatory drugs." - C. Montgomery Burns

I'll probably always do drugs, so that just contributes to the addiction to The Shroomery... It's a vicious circle of bliss. :tongue2:

TM™ :cool:

Offlinebluhoney
Female User Gallery

#781556 - 07/28/02 08:56 AM (14 years, 4 months ago)

That doesnt make since, though. How can something stable, break down into something unstable. Have you got any references from scientists, I have found the Vaults of Erowind to sometimes be proven wrong. The body cannot convert One of the chemicals into the other in this case. It can digest both as is because of the mimicing of brain chemicals. I think more info is needed. We both may be wrong, or we both are right, or one or the other right, but I'll stick with my notes from the scientists them selves for right now and state again what they have tested and proven, the two chemicals are separate, and Psilocybin doesnot convert into psilocin. Look at it this way. If the chemicals changed into one chemical after injestion, then all magic mushrooms would act the same, and one wouldnt be more potent than the other. The Azures would be identical to the cubes. Its the different levels of the two main plus other ingrediants that give low or high potency. I'll have to disagree with the valuts of erwind and stick with the scientist who isolated and synthesised the two separate chemicals from the cubensis. Dont you love a good debate. LOL bluhoney

--------------------

Jump to top. Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Amazon Shop for: Dessicant, Silica Gel

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation