Home | Community | Message Board


This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.


Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore Bulk Substrate   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Myyco.com APE Liquid Culture For Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: < First | | 116 | 117 | 118 | 119 | 120 | 121 | 122 | 123 | 124 | 125 | 126 | 127 | 128 | 129 | 130 | 131 | 132 | 133 | 134 | 135 | 136 | | Last >
Re: Ask Quick Questions, Get Quick Answers [Re: Nextcontestant]
    #27936485 -

Nextcontestant said:
When sourcing wheat, is there a specific 'type' I should look for? If I'm understanding correctly, I should get wheat berry correct?



There's Wild Bird Seed (WBS), Whole Oats (Racing Horse Kind), and Milo and even corn too and more...

:smile:


--------------------


Mushroom Cultivation Techniques...

Edited by Grogu (09/06/22 01:18 AM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Ask Quick Questions, Get Quick Answers [Re: Nextcontestant] * 1
    #27936498 -

"Wheat berry" just means wheat seeds.


--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Ask Quick Questions, Get Quick Answers [Re: Nextcontestant] * 1
    #27936545 -

Nextcontestant said:
When sourcing wheat, is there a specific 'type' I should look for? If I'm understanding correctly, I should get wheat berry correct?



Seems like the other posters were mentioning other types of grain. You're always going to use berries, that's the actual whole grain term. I think this thread discusses what you were asking a little more closely.

https://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/15685055

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Ask Quick Questions, Get Quick Answers [Re: NoCopsPlzThx]
    #27936640 -

Have you ever had PF cakes that didn't look fully colonized because some dry verm slid down between the cake and jar? I could swear it looks colonized behind the verm but it's hard to tell.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Ask Quick Questions, Get Quick Answers [Re: NoCopsPlzThx]
    #27936656 -

This always happens to all my cakes to a certain extent. Look at the bottom. Its really easy to tell full colonization by looking at the bottom.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Ask Quick Questions, Get Quick Answers [Re: LysergicFox]
    #27936667 -

LysergicFox said:
Guerrilla said:
I double up when I use those stickers anyway, but if your filters got pulled into the jar the contents cooled too quickly and pulled a vacuum. Leave them to cool for longer in the PC.



Word ill try doubling. Should I do two on top or 1 on top 1 on the underside?

And I left then in the PC overnight before removing the jars so maybe the seal on those couple stickers weren't good or something...



One on each side.

Hm that's odd. Maybe you have a bad brand / batch, hopefully doubling up changes something.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Ask Quick Questions, Get Quick Answers [Re: Guerrilla] * 1
    #27936780 -

Go to a feed store and ask for whole wheat. Thats what you want.

Now whether it's red wheat, winter wheat, or white doesnt matter. Just ask for whole wheat


--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Ask Quick Questions, Get Quick Answers [Re: natedawgnow]
    #27936789 -

:whathesaid:
Just be sure it's untreated seed


--------------------

Links For Beginners And Beyond:mspoil:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Ask Quick Questions, Get Quick Answers [Re: NoCopsPlzThx]
    #27936902 -

NoCopsPlzThx said:
Nextcontestant said:
When sourcing wheat, is there a specific 'type' I should look for? If I'm understanding correctly, I should get wheat berry correct?



Seems like the other posters were mentioning other types of grain. You're always going to use berries, that's the actual whole grain term. I think this thread discusses what you were asking a little more closely.

https://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/15685055




Perfect. Thank you!!

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Ask Quick Questions, Get Quick Answers [Re: Nextcontestant]
    #27936922 -

Quick question, my agar keeps boiling over in the PC...
I'm using a 1 qt wide mouth mason jar with the lid flipped and not all the way tight and a piece of foil over it. but it just fills the PC with hot agar...

My question is this... If I drill a hole in the lid and cover with micropore tape then seal the lid will it explode or will that be sufficient for relieving pressure without spilling agar? Thanks!

Also side note, is the PC just getting too hot? Idk but very frustrating.


--------------------
:mushroom2::crazy2: The Psil-y Scientist :crazy2::mushroom2:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Ask Quick Questions, Get Quick Answers [Re: Albino Teacher]
    #27936938 -

Albino Teacher said:
Quick question, my agar keeps boiling over in the PC...
I'm using a 1 qt wide mouth mason jar with the lid flipped and not all the way tight and a piece of foil over it. but it just fills the PC with hot agar...

My question is this... If I drill a hole in the lid and cover with micropore tape then seal the lid will it explode or will that be sufficient for relieving pressure without spilling agar? Thanks!

Also side note, is the PC just getting too hot? Idk but very frustrating.



Add alot more water to the PC so it cools slower should help keep the agar from boiling over. Also don't try to open the pressure cooker too early let it cool some before opening.

Flipped lid should be fine.


--------------------

Edited by Grind365 (09/06/22 10:04 AM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Ask Quick Questions, Get Quick Answers [Re: Albino Teacher]
    #27936939 -

Albino Teacher said:
Quick question, my agar keeps boiling over in the PC...
I'm using a 1 qt wide mouth mason jar with the lid flipped and not all the way tight and a piece of foil over it. but it just fills the PC with hot agar...

My question is this... If I drill a hole in the lid and cover with micropore tape then seal the lid will it explode or will that be sufficient for relieving pressure without spilling agar? Thanks!

Also side note, is the PC just getting too hot? Idk but very frustrating.



I use a whisky bottle that I drilled a hole in the lid.

After I put my agar mixture in I throw a piece of tyvek over the opening and screw the lid down then I put a piece of micropore tape over the hole on the top.

I think the no-mod lid is creating too much pressure inside the jar.  You should be fine drilling a hole and throwing a couple layers of micropore tape on there.

I let the PC cool completely because if you release the pressure that can cause a boil over as well.

Good luck and welcome to the Shroomery!


--------------------
Vibetyme's LAGM 2.022

Vibetyme's LAGM_23

Vibetyme's LAGM_24

                 

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Ask Quick Questions, Get Quick Answers [Re: uninc4life2010]
    #27936950 -

uninc4life2010 said:
I poured my agar plates at around 130 F, and I still got some condensation on the plates.  I poured 20, and the bottom plates look okay, but the top plates got some moisture.  I left them all in a tall stack when I finished. 

I just poured another 10 plates, and I started pouring at 125 F.  I put a glass of hot water on top of them, so hopefully, the lids will stay dry and clear. 

What did I do wrong here?  Will the condensation clear up over time?



130 is a little warm.
I pour at 120 but I also am getting some congealing in the agar by the time I hit the last plate. Chunky agar works too though 😂

The condensation should clear up with time yea but who knows how much time.


--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Ask Quick Questions, Get Quick Answers [Re: Albino Teacher]
    #27936985 -

Albino Teacher said:
Quick question, my agar keeps boiling over in the PC...
I'm using a 1 qt wide mouth mason jar with the lid flipped and not all the way tight and a piece of foil over it. but it just fills the PC with hot agar...

My question is this... If I drill a hole in the lid and cover with micropore tape then seal the lid will it explode or will that be sufficient for relieving pressure without spilling agar? Thanks!

Also side note, is the PC just getting too hot? Idk but very frustrating.



I had this fear yesterday. Are you releasing the pressure manually or letting it drop naturally? BODs tek says you can fill the water up to the level of agar to help prevent boiling when the pressure drops faster than the temperature.

However, yesterday I was using +/-250ml media bottles and only had the PC water level 1/4 up to the media bottles. I usually release pressure manually, but this time I didn't and I had no boil over.


--------------------
My small photo collection here
My smaller grow log here
Some tips for taking photos of your progress when seeking help here

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Ask Quick Questions, Get Quick Answers [Re: Grind365]
    #27936987 -

Grind365 said:
uninc4life2010 said:
I poured my agar plates at around 130 F, and I still got some condensation on the plates.  I poured 20, and the bottom plates look okay, but the top plates got some moisture.  I left them all in a tall stack when I finished. 

I just poured another 10 plates, and I started pouring at 125 F.  I put a glass of hot water on top of them, so hopefully, the lids will stay dry and clear. 

What did I do wrong here?  Will the condensation clear up over time?



130 is a little warm.
I pour at 120 but I also am getting some congealing in the agar by the time I hit the last plate. Chunky agar works too though 😂

The condensation should clear up with time yea but who knows how much time.




The bottom plates will usually come out clear very quickly.. so I usually pour more plates than needed. I'll start by using the bottom plates and the rest are clea by the time I get to them..

When stacking my plates once I've transferred to them.. I keep a bunch of old plates and put 2 or 3 on top of every stack to prevent more condensation from appearing..


The black plates in this picture are just condensation buffers


Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Ask Quick Questions, Get Quick Answers [Re: Grind365]
    #27937015 -

I need to prep grain jars today w/wbs. Going to do 8 regular mouth quart.

Can I use the new jars right out of the package without washing or sterilizing them?

For lid prep I'm using the plastic lids to reduce the chance of contamination by handling around the rims/lids.

Is a 1/8" hole large enough for GE, using pore tape? I'll be using agar wedges to inuculate so I think I just need one hole for now.

Please advise. Information overload..too many tek choices..pressed for time...agar plates are becoming ready to cut wedges

My first agar plates. MSS CRS. Aren't they beautiful?!? disregard the date on the pics, my camera reset when I changed batteries.

I know I need to do a couple of transfers, but I need medicine, badly! And these are clean and beautiful. I have 2 plates each of 3 cube varieties. I'll be starting some grain jars with the CRS since it has bloomed first, then wedge transfering 2 or 3 plates each of the 3 varieties as they become ready.

Soooo
Can I use the new jars right out of the package without washing or sterilizing them?

Is a 1/8" hole large enough for GE, using pore tape?

Thanks much!!! Stoked!

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Ask Quick Questions, Get Quick Answers [Re: shigmon]
    #27937031 -

shigmon said:
I need to prep grain jars today w/wbs. Going to do 8 regular mouth quart.

Can I use the new jars right out of the package without washing or sterilizing them?

For lid prep I'm using the plastic lids to reduce the chance of contamination by handling around the rims/lids.

Is a 1/8" hole large enough for GE, using pore tape? I'll be using agar wedges to inuculate so I think I just need one hole for now.

Please advise. Information overload..too many tek choices..pressed for time...agar plates are becoming ready to cut wedges

My first agar plates. MSS CRS. Aren't they beautiful?!? disregard the date on the pics, my camera reset when I changed batteries.

I know I need to do a couple of transfers, but I need medicine, badly! And these are clean and beautiful. I have 2 plates each of 3 cube varieties. I'll be starting some grain jars with the CRS since it has bloomed first, then wedge transfering 2 or 3 plates each of the 3 varieties as they become ready.

Soooo
Can I use the new jars right out of the package without washing or sterilizing them?

Is a 1/8" hole large enough for GE, using pore tape?

Thanks much!!! Stoked!



Jars are fine to just use right away no problem there. I recommend 4 of the 1/8" holes for gas exchange. But I'm not sure how clean ur dishes are. They're showing odd growth patterns from the activated charcoal so it tough to know if they're clean cultures.


--------------------

Links For Beginners And Beyond:mspoil:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Ask Quick Questions, Get Quick Answers [Re: Nichrome]
    #27937041 -





So my cake has been put into fruiting conditions for 17 days now and I see the mycelium reaching out, so lack of FAE and I have stepped up to misting twice a day and fanning throughout the day so around 5-6 a day. There is also a lottt of water droplets on the mycelium, not pooling up, but it won’t evaporate, I believe that’s the reason I am not getting pins. The tub is in my closet so no moving air, I was thinking about putting a fan under the desk.

Any tips to upping the FAE and getting air circulation in the closet would be great!

Noob tis I

Edited by knupKlY (09/06/22 11:14 AM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Ask Quick Questions, Get Quick Answers [Re: knupKlY]
    #27937050 -

Got to leave town for a week. Plates are already a little overgrown.
Will it be fine if I just pop them in the fridge until I get back?


--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Ask Quick Questions, Get Quick Answers [Re: rumfor69]
    #27937053 -

Woah 4 1/8th holes? I’ve only been using one. Is that basically en entire SFD then?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Jump to top Pages: < First | | 116 | 117 | 118 | 119 | 120 | 121 | 122 | 123 | 124 | 125 | 126 | 127 | 128 | 129 | 130 | 131 | 132 | 133 | 134 | 135 | 136 | | Last >

Shop: North Spore Bulk Substrate   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Myyco.com APE Liquid Culture For Sale


Similar ThreadsPosterViewsRepliesLast post
* quick question, finished colonizing? usefulidiot 1,852 1 04/06/03 04:31 PM
by kindkesey
* Quick Question grateful_head 1,238 2 08/18/01 01:40 PM
by Billyblastoff
* New to the boards, and a quick question to start ! Anonymous 1,829 4 03/11/02 01:18 AM
by 2shrewmen
* some quick questions about my treasure coasts alf 3,846 19 11/15/01 11:54 PM
by Anonymous
* Quick Question needs quick answer Wheedhead! 1,180 2 01/19/03 07:06 AM
by Wheedhead!
* quick question SuppaFly 1,043 1 09/18/02 02:41 PM
by mickey_rourke
* Re: Quick Question
( 1 2 all )
Anonymous 4,539 22 06/14/00 03:46 AM
by hitterg
* Quick Question LXTC 1,805 11 09/24/02 08:09 PM
by LXTC

Extra information
You cannot start new topics / You cannot reply to topics
HTML is disabled / BBCode is enabled
Moderator: Shroomism, george castanza, RogerRabbit, veggie, mushboy, fahtster, the_chosen_one, LogicaL Chaos, 13shrooms, hamloaf, cronicr, Stipe-n Cap, Pastywhyte, bodhisatta, Tormato, Land Trout, A.k.a
1,158,213 topic views. 15 members, 65 guests and 81 web crawlers are browsing this forum.
[ Show Images Only | Sort by Score | Print Topic ]
Search this thread:

Copyright 1997-2026 Mind Media. Some rights reserved.

Generated in 0.039 seconds spending 0.014 seconds on 18 queries.