Home | Community | Message Board

Kratom Eye
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.


Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore Injection Grain Bag   Sporeworks.EU Spores for European Microscopy   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures

Jump to first unread post Pages: < First | | 764 | 765 | 766 | 767 | 768 | 769 | 770 | 771 | 772 | 773 | 774 | 775 | 776 | 777 | 778 | 779 | 780 | 781 | 782 | 783 | 784 | | Last >
Re: AGAR ENVY! (Anything and All things agar!) [Re: Bigworm] * 1
    #27857940 -

It definitely wouldn’t hurt to take another transfer though, just to be certain. You’ll only be cleaning things up and exponentiating.

When in doubt… :shrug:


--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: AGAR ENVY! (Anything and All things agar!) [Re: Boozie]
    #27858155 -

What do you guys recommend for inoculation loops and keeping it sterile?

Disposable, plastic or stainless?

I saw this one on etsy...

https://www.etsy.com/listing/807920109

Thanks for any help

:mushroom2:


--------------------


Mushroom Cultivation Techniques...

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: AGAR ENVY! (Anything and All things agar!) [Re: Grogu] * 1
    #27858166 -

Steel all the way, flame it until its red

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: AGAR ENVY! (Anything and All things agar!) [Re: Tormato]
    #27858401 -

I'm looking to make a batch of antibiotic agar to see if I can salvage some of my bacterial plates.. a friend recommended genamicin, but I've also seen some people saying chloramphenicol is better..most if the shroomery posts on the subject are really old

The problem is that I can't really find any products when searching those ingredients that look like they would work.. it's mostly ointments.

Does anyone have a link to an antibiotic additive that would work (and a suggested amount to add)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: AGAR ENVY! (Anything and All things agar!) [Re: Rotnpins] * 2
    #27858426 -

Try Gentamycin Sulfate Powder 1 gram on the old G


--------------------
- Sandbag Tek - How To Sterilize Spawn Bags - All About Static Pressure / Pressure Drop for DIY Flow Hoods - Sandman's LC Tek-

Marijuanaut escapes earth to cultivate - Grow-room is church temple of the new stoner breed

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: AGAR ENVY! (Anything and All things agar!) [Re: DERRAYLD]
    #27858451 -

Does that black sut by the flame cause any problems or just wipe with alcohol swab?

I ask for needle when putting spores into bags and when scraping spores into agar and into syringe?

Thanks


--------------------


Mushroom Cultivation Techniques...

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: AGAR ENVY! (Anything and All things agar!) [Re: Grogu] * 3
    #27858456 -

Never wipe with iso after flaming.
You either accept the soot or you get a flame that doesn't cause soot.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: AGAR ENVY! (Anything and All things agar!) [Re: DERRAYLD] * 2
    #27858459 -

DERRAYLD said:
Never wipe with iso after flaming.
You either accept the soot or you get a flame that doesn't cause soot.



Yea that's like scratching your asshole after washing your hands.


--------------------
- Sandbag Tek - How To Sterilize Spawn Bags - All About Static Pressure / Pressure Drop for DIY Flow Hoods - Sandman's LC Tek-

Marijuanaut escapes earth to cultivate - Grow-room is church temple of the new stoner breed

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: AGAR ENVY! (Anything and All things agar!) [Re: Tormato]
    #27858460 -

I’ve been wiping with iso after flaming because I’m worried the tool is too hot and will damage mycelium and spores.

Is this a needless worry?


--------------------
A Love Letter to New Growers
The 7 Edicts of Mushroom Cultivation as Decreed by Smellyhobbit

:kodama:


Anyone can get a canopy. But can you get what you want?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: AGAR ENVY! (Anything and All things agar!) [Re: sandman420]
    #27858461 -

sandman420 said:
DERRAYLD said:
Never wipe with iso after flaming.
You either accept the soot or you get a flame that doesn't cause soot.



Yea that's like scratching your asshole after washing your hands.



Ok I see this being said and I’m confused. Why use iso at all on your tools if it’s dirtying them?


--------------------
A Love Letter to New Growers
The 7 Edicts of Mushroom Cultivation as Decreed by Smellyhobbit

:kodama:


Anyone can get a canopy. But can you get what you want?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: AGAR ENVY! (Anything and All things agar!) [Re: Smellyhobbit]
    #27858467 -

Smellyhobbit said:
sandman420 said:
DERRAYLD said:
Never wipe with iso after flaming.
You either accept the soot or you get a flame that doesn't cause soot.



Yea that's like scratching your asshole after washing your hands.



Ok I see this being said and I’m confused. Why use iso at all on your tools if it’s dirtying them?



Iso sanitizes, the flame sterilizes.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: AGAR ENVY! (Anything and All things agar!) [Re: Smellyhobbit]
    #27858470 -

Smellyhobbit said:
sandman420 said:
DERRAYLD said:
Never wipe with iso after flaming.
You either accept the soot or you get a flame that doesn't cause soot.



Yea that's like scratching your asshole after washing your hands.



Ok I see this being said and I’m confused. Why use iso at all on your tools if it’s dirtying them?




Once you flame sterilize your needle or blade is steril. Wiping with iso still has a chance of moving something over to the still tool. Once you flame your blade touch it to the agar you are transferring to then make your cut and transfer. If you are using a needle to inject a bag, stop. Lol. Spores to agar first. If you are using a needle to drop spores on agar, flame the needle and eject a small amount of solution through it to cool it. Leave the soot on there, it's steril.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: AGAR ENVY! (Anything and All things agar!) [Re: Tormato]
    #27858477 -

Nah the soot never worried me. It’s just carbon. It was always a heat issue.

Good to know, I’ll stop doing that. Never gotten far enough with agar to know if it was causing contamination, since I’m not close to cleaning up a culture yet.

Inflame sterilize between PF cakes, but I wasn’t worried about the heat with those because I use 1cc per jar.

Mostly I’m concerned my scalpel or loop will be too hot and kill whatever it touches. I guess just set it in a dish or on foil and let it cool naturally?

I know this is simple stuff, but I’m a sped sometimes and need things told to me directly.


--------------------
A Love Letter to New Growers
The 7 Edicts of Mushroom Cultivation as Decreed by Smellyhobbit

:kodama:


Anyone can get a canopy. But can you get what you want?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: AGAR ENVY! (Anything and All things agar!) [Re: Smellyhobbit]
    #27858492 -

Smellyhobbit said:
I’ve been wiping with iso after flaming because I’m worried the tool is too hot and will damage mycelium and spores.

Is this a needless worry?



The wire loop has very little thermal mass, so it heats and cools easily. Either wave the tool in air a few times to cool it, or stick it into the agar, pull out and then pick up spores with it. If you poke it into the agar, that will make the loop sticky and it will carry more spores.

Alcohol flame produces no soot. You can get an alcohol lamp with a wick and a cover at Amazon for $10. Or make one yourself with a small jar or a beer can and a wick if that's too much money.

I've become a convert to sterile swabs. They really are much easier to use than the loop. The fact that they come with a nice sterile sheath makes them more convenient for storage than prints on foil or paper.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: AGAR ENVY! (Anything and All things agar!) [Re: sonoramo]
    #27858501 -

sonoramo said:
Smellyhobbit said:
I’ve been wiping with iso after flaming because I’m worried the tool is too hot and will damage mycelium and spores.

Is this a needless worry?



The wire loop has very little thermal mass, so it heats and cools easily. Either wave the tool in air a few times to cool it, or stick it into the agar, pull out and then pick up spores with it. If you poke it into the agar, that will make the loop sticky and it will carry more spores.

Alcohol flame produces no soot. You can get an alcohol lamp with a wick and a cover at Amazon for $10. Or make one yourself with a small jar or a beer can and a wick if that's too much money.

I've become a convert to sterile swabs. They really are much easier to use than the loop. The fact that they come with a nice sterile sheath makes them more convenient for storage than prints on foil or paper.



I actually just got a 20 pack of sterile single use loops, which of course don’t need to be flamed. I may not make the switch back to my janky metal loop.

I also have an alcohol lamp, which I use. Much easier than a lighter.

Thanks for the advice, everyone! Glad I could clean up a part of my process today.


--------------------
A Love Letter to New Growers
The 7 Edicts of Mushroom Cultivation as Decreed by Smellyhobbit

:kodama:


Anyone can get a canopy. But can you get what you want?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: AGAR ENVY! (Anything and All things agar!) [Re: Tormato]
    #27858532 -

Does anyone have experience doing the sandwich tek? What temp do you pour at? Is it really effective for cleaning up a bacterial plate without using antibiotics?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: AGAR ENVY! (Anything and All things agar!) [Re: Rotnpins] * 1
    #27858536 -

honestly if ya wanna clean a plate use brf pucks a la josex method.

super useful on the most disgusting cultures no mercy:sparta:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: AGAR ENVY! (Anything and All things agar!) [Re: mushboy]
    #27858547 -

mushboy said:
honestly if ya wanna clean a plate use brf pucks a la josex method.

super useful on the most disgusting cultures no mercy:sparta:



I've tried searching them with no luck.. do you know a link to a tek?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: AGAR ENVY! (Anything and All things agar!) [Re: Rotnpins] * 1
    #27858562 -


Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: AGAR ENVY! (Anything and All things agar!) [Re: mushboy]
    #27858573 -

mushboy said:
clean yo shit
:josex:



Perfect! Thank you. This looks like a much better solution :rockon: I had thought of doing it before but could never seem to find the tek, I really appreciate it

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Jump to top Pages: < First | | 764 | 765 | 766 | 767 | 768 | 769 | 770 | 771 | 772 | 773 | 774 | 775 | 776 | 777 | 778 | 779 | 780 | 781 | 782 | 783 | 784 | | Last >

Shop: North Spore Injection Grain Bag   Sporeworks.EU Spores for European Microscopy   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures


Similar ThreadsPosterViewsRepliesLast post
* Is this contamination or just wet agar? ligma 74 8 10/04/26 01:29 PM
by Agar Wedge
* Agar in the fridge for 6 months, how is it? Yetidude 79 5 10/05/26 03:21 PM
by Yetidude
* buying agar - help sinisha 3,839 6 03/31/06 05:49 AM
by FractalXplora
* cheapest glass petri dishes, agar, dextrose, etc Fluxburn 8,393 8 02/14/05 07:57 AM
by Roadkill
* Potato Dextrose Agar X Malt Extract Agar Alegalize 7,010 8 02/25/05 11:03 AM
by agar
* test tubes agar fungophiliac 3,705 8 06/19/20 09:41 PM
by gorilliam
* LOOK! Big AGAR problem. Ever seen this? Not I. need advice BAD! agentstone 5,326 12 03/30/20 10:37 AM
by Surf707
* Agar and the global economy Dem_Bones 1,940 4 03/01/06 09:08 AM
by Dem_Bones

Extra information
You cannot start new topics / You cannot reply to topics
HTML is disabled / BBCode is enabled
Moderator: Shroomism, george castanza, RogerRabbit, veggie, mushboy, fahtster, the_chosen_one, LogicaL Chaos, 13shrooms, hamloaf, cronicr, Stipe-n Cap, Pastywhyte, bodhisatta, Tormato, Land Trout, A.k.a
776,727 topic views. 12 members, 123 guests and 201 web crawlers are browsing this forum.
[ Show Images Only | Sort by Score | Print Topic ]
Search this thread:

Copyright 1997-2026 Mind Media. Some rights reserved.

Generated in 0.043 seconds spending 0.019 seconds on 18 queries.