Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
InvisibleSkorpivoMusterion
Livin in theTwilight Zone...
 User Gallery

Loc: You can't spell fungus wi...
Japanese Self-Control
    #2520927 - 04/03/04 07:06 AM (19 years, 11 months ago)

A recent University of California at Berkeley study indicates that the happiest, best-adjusted individuals in their present and older lives are those who believe they have a strong measure of control over their lives. They seem to choose more appropriate responses to what occurs and to stand up to inevitable changes with less apprehension. They learn from their past mistakes, rather than replay them. They spend time "doing" in the present, rather than fearing what may happen.

The opposite type of individuals believe in luck, fate, jinx, wrong time and the wrong place, astrological and biorythym accuracy, and "you can't fight city hall." They are prone to give in to doubt and fear and suffer greater emotional and physical problems as a result. They see themselves as victims of the system. And they believe you either have it or you don't and that the most success is a lottery or a roll of the dice. When we analyze what the Japanese have accomplished since World War II; when we read of the thousands of achievements by individuals who have walked out of the "ghetto" into greatness, we realize the truth. In America, many victims of the system are actually volunteers who are cooperating in their own failure.

Thus, furthering the fact that we possess far more control over ourselves, and the lives we lead...than many people realize.

This is material from the book Seeds of Greatness by Dennis Waitley, on a section where he discussed the dynamics behind the enigmatic success of Japan and the mechanics of Japanese culture that propels such a small country to massive success, and so on. Hope it helps you.  :smile:

--------------------
Coffee should be black as hell, strong as death, and sweet as love.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlined33p
Welcome to Violence

Loc: the shores of Tripoli
Re: Japanese Self-Control [Re: SkorpivoMusterion]
    #2521353 - 04/03/04 11:30 AM (19 years, 11 months ago)

America designed japanese culture fairly well.

--------------------
I'm a nihilist. Lets be friends.

bang bang

InvisibleShroomismM
Space Travellin
Male User Gallery
Folding@home Statistics
Loc: 9th Dimension Flag
Re: Japanese Self-Control [Re: d33p]
    #2521374 - 04/03/04 11:42 AM (19 years, 11 months ago)

Influenced... perhaps..
Designed... no.
Japanese culture is far older (not to mention more advanced) than Amerikkka.

--------------------

Invisibletekramrepus
Female User Gallery
Re: Japanese Self-Control [Re: Shroomism]
    #2521507 - 04/03/04 12:52 PM (19 years, 11 months ago)

I think he meant after we rebuilt Japan after WW2.

but shroomism is right. they're culture was influenced greatly by us after we rebuilt it, but true japanese culture is far more rich and plentiful than most people know.

User Gallery

#2521966 - 04/03/04 03:24 PM (19 years, 11 months ago)

I should emphasize the following:

A recent University of California at Berkeley study indicates that the happiest, best-adjusted individuals in their present and older lives are those who believe they have a strong measure of control over their lives. They seem to choose more appropriate responses to what occurs and to stand up to inevitable changes with less apprehension. They learn from their past mistakes, rather than replay them. They spend time "doing" in the present, rather than fearing what may happen.

The opposite type of individuals believe in luck, fate, jinx, wrong time and the wrong place, astrological and biorythym accuracy, and "you can't fight city hall." They are prone to give in to doubt and fear and suffer greater emotional and physical problems as a result. They see themselves as victims of the system. And they believe you either have it or you don't and that the most success is a lottery or a roll of the dice.

Because that's what I really wanted to get across. Internal control. Internal power. Internal self-responsibility. Taking absolute responsibility and respect for your own actions; not blaming it on some "jinx", or relying your fortune and future soley on "the roll of the dice".

If you think you simply "get lucky" all the time, it's not because there is some external force that just happens to bring luck to you on a silver platter all the time.. no, it's because you made the internal decision and belief that led your subconscious mind to propel yourself and your own life to the external events that you would percieve as "lucky".

It all stems from within. Your mind is that powerful. Focus the power Internally..not externally.

What you do and control internally is what will affect (to such an immense degree which many people do not fully realize) externally.

With this knowledge, you can practice channelling and honing your internal power with far more accuracy and control .

Take full control and responsibility within yourself, and the rest will follow.

That, is what I wanted to share with you all.

I give credit to the Japanese in respect of the book. The Japanese are a great role-model of success, because they practice the above philosophy in such amazing fidelity in thier unique and rich culture.

On the downside, from what I've learned the Japanese are commonly intensive workaholics, and the suicide rate is fairly high.

But there are costs and sacrifices on either end of the spectrum. :wink:

--------------------

OfflineFrog
Warrior
Female User Gallery

Loc: The Zero Point Field
    #2522293 - 04/03/04 05:06 PM (19 years, 11 months ago)

First, I agree with the first paragraph of your post. I think when one is young, one makes choices and hopes for the best. We're not usually making choices out of experience, and we don't usually listen to the wisdom of our elders.

However, when one is older, it's easier to make even painful or hard choices because we have experience backing our choices up now.

Take full control and responsibility within yourself, and the rest will follow.

I agree. I think. What does this sentence mean in the context of what the author is saying?

--------------------
The day will come when, after harnessing the ether, the winds, the tides, gravitation, we shall harness for God the energies of love. And, on that day, for the second time in the history of the world, man will have discovered fire.  -Teilard

User Gallery

Re: Japanese Self-Control [Re: Frog]
    #2522413 - 04/03/04 05:41 PM (19 years, 11 months ago)

What does this sentence mean in the context of what the author is saying?

The sentence is simply reiterating the Author's point that you have full responsibility for your own life, and you are in control of your success (or demise).
What you are internally, is what you will get externally.
If you are suffering to a series of external events that can be improved, then it is your own responsibility to take actions for the better. If you wish to have the situation improved, then most likely, soley from that desire alone, it actually will improve one way or another--because you've given your subconscious directions to adhere to. But it will not be nearly as effective if you just scatter your mental power into some vague uncertain wishes, which, thus becomes difficult to achieve and will likely lead to failure and spiral yourself down poor self-esteem and so on.

That's the power of your mind. If you give yourself specific, logical, sound and solid directions to improve whatever you need, and practice it in your mind--then you will reap much more rewarding results, than if you just simply harness your brain into some vague "I hope I get lucky and this shit blows over and somebody saves me and God gives me the power and something good comes along" hope/prayer/wish.

It's about channeling and focusing your mental power into a concentrated beam into each specific internal goals that will reap specific external results.
Does that clear it up for you?

This is why, as stated previously; the happiest, best-adjusted individuals in their present and older lives are those who believe they have a strong measure of control over their lives. They seem to choose more appropriate responses to what occurs and to stand up to inevitable changes with less apprehension. They learn from their past mistakes, rather than replay them. They spend time "doing" in the present, rather than fearing what may happen.

And why, as stated previously; the opposite type of individuals believe in luck, fate, jinx, wrong time and the wrong place, astrological and biorythym accuracy, and "you can't fight city hall." They are prone to give in to doubt and fear and suffer greater emotional and physical problems as a result. They see themselves as victims of the system. And they believe you either have it or you don't and that the most success is a lottery or a roll of the dice.

It's all about internal responsibility, and control.

--------------------

Offlineabhi
Why not?
Female User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: in some small dive
Re: Japanese Self-Control [Re: Shroomism]
    #2522763 - 04/03/04 07:17 PM (19 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

Shroomism said:
Amerikkka.

Nice.

--------------------

Invisiblehevvy_psi
groover

#2522769 - 04/03/04 07:18 PM (19 years, 11 months ago)

do you not think that our never-ending pursuit of "control" is why humans are the cancer that plague the earth....?

--------------------
egocentrism is bangin on the door
self-destructive selflessness
seeps out from the core
alone - eyes closed - an empty room
i'm curled on the floor
choose nothing, thus deciding
all the nothing i've in store.

OfflineFrog
Warrior
Female User Gallery

Loc: The Zero Point Field
    #2523239 - 04/03/04 10:05 PM (19 years, 11 months ago)

I don't usually click on a thread to read a new post unless I'm prepared to post reply. I clicked on this post, but I'm not ready to post a reply because I have had a few glasses of wine. *hic*

The part that sucks is now I won't remember to come back and reply because there won't be a number next to the thread, showing where I left off.

Somebody hit me on the head with a hammer when it's time for me to reply to Skorpivo's post. *blowing bubbles*

--------------------
The day will come when, after harnessing the ether, the winds, the tides, gravitation, we shall harness for God the energies of love. And, on that day, for the second time in the history of the world, man will have discovered fire.  -Teilard

Offlinelostsuitcase
...missing

Loc: mid-air?
Re: Japanese Self-Control [Re: hevvy_psi]
    #2523318 - 04/03/04 10:39 PM (19 years, 11 months ago)

"is why humans are the cancer that plague the earth....?"

what about those insects that go around infecting trees and killing them by the hectare? are they also a cancer that plagues the earth?

Offlinefireworks_godS
Sexy.Butt.McDanger
Male

Loc: Pandurn
Re: Japanese Self-Control [Re: hevvy_psi]
    #2523879 - 04/04/04 05:28 AM (19 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

hevvy_psi said:
do you not think that our never-ending pursuit of "control" is why humans are the cancer that plague the earth....?

What you are alluding to is man's quest to control the environment and isn't what this is about. This is about giving oneself the mental power needed to become who they desire to be, and transcending mental bounaries and weaknesses that keep us from being the free beings that we are.

It is interesting to note that when man has sought control over the environment, it has always stemmed from some sort of insecurity or fear.... which is exactly what he is talking about eliminating. :lol:
Peace. :mushroom2:

--------------------
:redpanda:
If I should die this very moment
I wouldn't fear
For I've never known completeness
Like being here
Wrapped in the warmth of you
Loving every breath of you

:heartpump: :bunnyhug: :yinyang:

:yinyang: :levitate: :earth: :levitate: :yinyang:

User Gallery

Re: Japanese Self-Control [Re: fireworks_god]
    #2523936 - 04/04/04 06:54 AM (19 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

fireworks_god said:
What you are alluding to is man's quest to control the environment and isn't what this is about. This is about giving oneself the mental power needed to become who they desire to be, and transcending mental bounaries and weaknesses that keep us from being the free beings that we are.

It is interesting to note that when man has sought control over the environment, it has always stemmed from some sort of insecurity or fear.... which is exactly what he is talking about eliminating. :lol:
Peace. :mushroom2:

Precisely, Thank you.

--------------------

Invisiblesakura
Aussie Expat

Loc: Japan
    #2524013 - 04/04/04 08:20 AM (19 years, 11 months ago)

I am by no means an authority on the Japanese spirit. However, I have been married to one for seven years and I live in Japan.

In reading the quote from the article, it struck me immediately that this guy has very little idea as to what motivates Japanese people.

...They spend time "doing" in the present, rather than fearing what may happen.

Japanese people (99.9% of them) are about the most totally non-spontaneous people you will ever meet. Everything is planned meticulously with great consideration (perhaps fear) of future consequences and other people's opinions. More so BY FAR than any other race of people I've encountered.

...The opposite type of individuals believe in luck, fate, jinx, wrong time and the wrong place, astrological and biorythym accuracy, and "you can't fight city hall." ...

Japanese (even relatively young Japanese) are very superstitious and totally fatalistic, especially regarding 'City Hall' or any authoritave body (This is why social change is so slow in Japan - women still get 50% - often far less - of a man's wage and no-one will ever say or do anything...).

....This is material from the book Seeds of Greatness by Dennis Waitley, on a section where he discussed the dynamics behind the enigmatic success of Japan and the mechanics of Japanese culture that propels such a small country to massive success...

What propelled Japan to greatness was NOT individual effort or the attitudes of individuals, IT WAS THE OPPOSITE!

Japanese people have a 'hive mentality'. The willingness of the Japanese worker to put his country's and his company's interests ahead of his own and the suppression of 'individualism' in favour of 'collectiveism' is what made Japan great (and will also eventually break them due to the inflexible, uncreative atmosphere which infests every area of Japanese society).

Sorry Mr Waitley... You need to spend a few years here and re-write that chapter of your book. You are so far off target it isn't funny.

--------------------
Shrooms aren't everyone's cup of tea... (Some folks just eat 'em)

User Gallery

Re: Japanese Self-Control [Re: sakura]
    #2524059 - 04/04/04 09:11 AM (19 years, 11 months ago)

Okay, allow me to quote ALL of what the author Dennis Waitley says on this particular subject, although it's still besides the point I wanted to share in this thread:

Why the Japanese Succeed

Thoughout the years and two more wars, I've long since buried any boyhood grudge against Japan, for taking my father from us for those three years and for taking other men, women, and children away from life itself. I have grown to admire and respect the Japanese culture. I ache as much inside for the way it began at Pearl Harbor. It always seems that the innocent bear the effects of leader's causes.
Not too long ago I was on an airliner going from San Francisco to New York and one section was filled with Japanese visitors, in a tour group, on their way to experience "The Big Apple" for the first time. I was impressed with heir ability to break out of their own language into English, without much difficulty. Of course, English is a required subject in Japan; whereas foreign languages are becoming more and more optional, and less and less mandatory in our own school systems.
I overheard two smartly dressed ladies in the group talking to each other in understandable Enlgish. They had decided to try to communicate as we do for the duration of the trip. I wasn't purposely eavesdropping as I heard them chatting and quipping across the aisle in front of me. "What do you want to do, first, after we arrive at Kennedy?" one of them inquired. "Get off the plane and get our baggage," teased the other.
"No," the other laughed. "I mean after we check into the hotel." "I don't really car," came the reply. "I'd like to look in all the stores and shops for gifts to take back home. I have heard that prices are much more reasonable here in America." "But we must be a little careful," her friend cautioned. "The prices are lower, but the quality is not what it should be."
I stuck my nose back in my Wall Street Journal and swallowed hard, feeling just a little tug inside my stomach walls. These young Japanese women were not being sarcastic or flippant. They were simply expressing honest opinions, based on their own perceptions. I thought back to my exposure to Japanese products as I was growing up. In those days, "Made in Japan" meant the items were mainly wood and paper kites, parasols, fans, matches, boxes, and other curiosities. Almost all Japanese imports were relegated to five-and-dime stores because of the questionable quality of workmanship.
Today when I look for the Hudsons, Studebakers, Nashes, Willyses, Kaisers, and Packards that I used to see parked at "tent city" when I was a boy, I keep counting more Datsuns, Toyotas, Hondas, and Izusus. I have been giving motivational seminars recently to American car salsemen throughout the country. One particular morning I was really pouring on the productivity message. As I stomped across the meeting room platform, I told the three hundred salesmen that I was "bullish" on the rekindling of the great American tradition of excellence and dedication.
"Gentleman," I boomed authoritatively, "we have gond full circle. We are now on track again ad are gaining momentum toward a full economic recovery."
And I concluded with even more rich resonance in my voice, "Gentlemen, we can see the light at the end of the tunnel!" A voice in the crowd shot back, "Yeah, and it' s a Japanese freight train coming the other way!"
It seems incredible, doesn't it, that a country small enough to fit easily into California in terms of size, could crawl out of the rubble of World War II and become one of the top economic powers in the world in less than forty years. Of course, we helped Japan rebuild its factories and economy. But there's much more to this story than a beneficient uncle. Among nations, Japan has the lowest infant mortality rate, the highest percentage of literacy, the longest average life span, the highest education level among youth, and it is among the lowest in violent crimes of any nation. Overpopulated and underresourced, Japan still comes on like an undaunted David taking on Goliath.
In fairness to the rest of us in the Western world, we must point out that centuries of inbred culture have had a signficant influence on Japan's industriousness and resilience. Their standard decision-making process is referred to as nemawashi (wrapping roots of a tree or bush together, before moving it); a free translation might be "circular agreement." Agreement is necessary throughout each organization, at every level, before action is undertaken in Japan. This is cumbersome and can be frustratingly time consuming, but it certainly reduces the likelihood of disgruntled employees and strikes. A successful tool the Japanese employ in their nemawashi style of management is the "quality circle" designed to involve small, diverse groups of staff and line employees who meet regularly to discuss work-related problems. Ironcially, the "quality-circle" concept was developed by an American, W. Edward Deming, in 1948. Since its successful implementation by the Japanese, American companies have begun to rediscover this group communication device in an effort to counter lagging productivity.
Perhaps the major factor responsible for the success of the Japanese in "building greatness out of ashes" is their willingness to look ahead into the future, while putting in maximum effort of work and sacrifice in the present. Japanese workers save an estimated 20 percent of their spendable incomes, more than triple that of Americans. In Japan, it is called "discretionary" income, which means there is a choice to spend it or save it. In America, we call it "disposable" income, and when we get it, we hasten to dispose of it....and then the author continues on to explain aspects of success in regards to contribution and sacrice, and so on

So as you can see, the author has acknowledged those qualities you pointed out, related to such as the 'beehive mentality', etc. The only one thing that isn't discussed or disputed is the "superstitiousness" that you claim is prevalent in the Japanese. Hmm..perhaps you would have solid evidence or sources to back that claim, rather than any anecdotes or opinions?

--------------------

Invisiblesakura
Aussie Expat

Loc: Japan
    #2524150 - 04/04/04 10:25 AM (19 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

SkorpivoMusterion said:
... The only one thing that isn't discussed or disputed is the "superstitiousness" that you claim is prevalent in the Japanese. Hmm..perhaps you would have solid evidence or sources to back that claim, rather than any anecdotes or opinions?

I live here and I teach Japanese people of all ages (I run an English school).

I recently ran a course of lessons regarding the differences (and similarities) between culture, tradition and superstition in Japanese and Western cultures.

After explaining the word 'superstition' (and having them look it up in their own dictionaries and use it in a sentence), I asked them individually if a) they thought that Japanese people were superstitious... b) if they considered themselves to be superstitious and c) if they felt that their parents and grandparents to be more superstitious than themselves.

What emerged was that Japanese superstition is deeply interwined with Japanese culture and tradition. Most Japanese have strong beliefs that bad things might happen if they don't follow certain traditions...

These are not actually religious beliefs (there is no religious belief associated with them). The closest Western equivalent I could offer would be a man who's grandmother was a devout Catholic (but is himself a confirmed Athiest) feeling the need to take communion once a year 'just in case'.

For example... ALL Japanese will attend the temple at New Years to ring the bell and recieve their blessing, even those who don't consider themselves to be Buddhist. To not do so would be to invite bad luck. Honouring the Ancestors at O-Bon is similar... It's very difficult to see where tradition leaves off and superstition begins.

The generation Mr Waitley was writing about, however, are overtly superstitious. They have small cat figurines in their stores to ward off bad luck and the piles of salt outside the doors of their shops are changed regularly. They will burn herbs at different times of the year to ward off evil spirits and keep the roadside shrines to encourage good fortune.

I see this every day (I take part in many of the ceremonies... it's expected of me and I enjoy doing so). I am immersed in 'solid evidence'. I am married to a Japanese, I live around the corner from my aged in-laws and I spend a lot more time than your average Aussie discussing the differences between Japanese and Western cultures (its something most of my students are interested in). If this isn't 'solid' evidence, I don't know what is...

--------------------
Shrooms aren't everyone's cup of tea... (Some folks just eat 'em)

User Gallery

Re: Japanese Self-Control [Re: sakura]
    #2524168 - 04/04/04 10:36 AM (19 years, 11 months ago)

Hmm...interesting. I do agree that it is, as you say, very difficult to see where tradition leaves off and superstition begins.

Thank you for your input. :smile:

--------------------

Invisiblekaiowas
lest we baguette
 User Gallery

Loc: oz
    #2527125 - 04/05/04 10:20 AM (19 years, 11 months ago)

The first thing I think some people should ask themselves is "who is the one that determines what I do"  the only answer to that is you!  only you can push yourself to do this or that..sure you could be influenced, but in the end it is you telling yourself what to do inside your head.  What I am getting at is people blame the outside world and others for most of their problems.  One thing to do is to be more aware of what you do.  This kind of thinking leads to failure quickly.

Now there is influence outside influence, and the most important things said are really those that aren't said at all.  Many people have to go through a lot of work within themselves to overcome the chattering mind.  it's so hard because the outside world influences to do the opposite.  we are told to go buy buy buy, and they connect it to happiness for us.  Many poeple are in debt right now because of things that aren't said. there are too many cracks to fall into and it really goes to show how our overall civilization system is flawed in a really bad way.

are we really in control skorp? I challenge this notion. do you believe this? 

our minds when we were little were bombarded with advertisements. It's everywhere and your mind notices everything, even at this smallest of levels. how do we know for certain if we are in control when many of us our really out of control, including with ourselves.

I'm talking about skills in life that should have been said way more than it has.  a little hint of guidance to allow us to actively participate in matruity, rather than the opposite.  I've seen many older people act like 8 year olds because they don't get their way.  No one even suggested that maybe you're not going to get your way all the time and so getting frustrated everytime something bad happens is a waste of energy and unhealthy even. 

Are people really in control of their emotions?  why I ask is because it is the emotional response that is going to dictate wher money goes, how you spend it, and what you achieve from it.  How well we do greatly depends on our emotions, and this is turn to me is the essence of being in "control"  The way civilization is now, I say it's doing the opposite.

when walking from the ghetto into greatness...what do you mean??  what is this greatness that we should be achieving and striving for? a person can still go into greatness and live in the ghetto can't they?

guess that depends on what you view what life is about...

more things left unsaid.

this is why I think what isn't said is just as important and is a major reason in why we aren't in control IMHO.

:grin:

--------------------
Annnnnnd I had a light saber and my friend was there and I said "you look like an indian" and he said "you look like satan" and he found a stick and a rock and he named the rock ooga booga and he named the stick Stick and we both thought that was pretty funny. We got eaten alive by mosquitos but didn't notice til the next day. I stepped on some glass while wading in the swamp and cut my foot open, didn't bother me til the next day either....yeah it was a good time, ended the night by buying some liquor for minors and drinking nips and going to he diner and eating chicken fingers, and then I went home and went to bed.

User Gallery

Re: Japanese Self-Control [Re: kaiowas]
    #2527310 - 04/05/04 11:44 AM (19 years, 11 months ago)

The first thing I think some people should ask themselves is "who is the one that determines what I do" the only answer to that is you! only you can push yourself to do this or that..sure you could be influenced, but in the end it is you telling yourself what to do inside your head. What I am getting at is people blame the outside world and others for most of their problems. One thing to do is to be more aware of what you do.

Agreed.

Now there is influence outside influence, and the most important things said are really those that aren't said at all. Many people have to go through a lot of work within themselves to overcome the chattering mind. it's so hard because the outside world influences to do the opposite. we are told to go buy buy buy, and they connect it to happiness for us. Many poeple are in debt right now because of things that aren't said.

Consider the reverse. Many people are NOT in debt and actually harvest abundance because OF the things that 'are said', because of the things they learn and knowledge that they come across, and so forth.
So then you can see that it's not the issue of any lack of material, knowledge and data to utilize and improve whatever situation is in need of improvement; but moreso that the people who constantly suffer from these issues have different realities which causes the disillusion or inability to see the helpful abundance of wisdom, helpful knowledge, that is really right in front of their eyes, so to speak.

we are told to go buy buy buy, and they connect it to happiness for us.
This issue is what is commonly referred to as 'The Disease of Immediate Gratification" The culprit is disguised in a six-world slogan: "Relief is just a swallow away." The greatest single cause of what's ailing America, in my opinion, is the "irresponsible obsession with immediate sensual gratification." We want love without commitment. We want benefit packages without production requirements. Pain, sacrifice, and effort are unacceptable. If it feels good right away, I'll try it. If I can't be certain to win, then I won't enter. I want the American dream I saw on TV, in the movies, and the one my parents said I'd get because I'm so special. And I want it now. Tomorrow is too late!

Our true rewards in life will depend on the quality and amount of contribution we make. From the Scriptures, to science, to psychology, to business, the documentation is the same. "As we sow, we reap." "You get out what you put in." Self-responsiblity is what I am talking about. The way we can build self-reliance and self-responsibility is to recognize the number of alternative choices we have in this free world.

are we really in control skorp? I challenge this notion. do you believe this?

If I understand what you're trying to point out, you're saying that we are in far more control than many people realize. Everybody has this power, but not everybody consciously uses it, properly, or to thier fullest extent. Not everybody thinks 'outside the box'. If so, then yes I am in agreement, but everybody still has potential to change, and therein lies the potential to learn and from that one can then think 'outside the box.'
Yes, I believe in taking full responsibility for your life and how you live. Quite frankly, to believe otherwise is just one of many ways to lead a life of misery and failure due to lack of self-resonsibility.

If you believe that you are not in control, then you will not be in much control of your life--consciously. Subconsciously, however, you are still actually controling your life through the illusionary-lens that you are NOT in control.

our minds when we were little were bombarded with advertisements. It's everywhere and your mind notices everything, even at this smallest of levels. how do we know for certain if we are in control when many of us our really out of control, including with ourselves.
Our minds are STILL being bombared with advertisements, this never changes until the day that our Death arrives. While it is true that the beginning stages of our life is significant; we never stop taking in information, relentlessly, adding more and more programming in our subconscious, over and over and over, that's why everybody changes, more or less. The bottom line remains, our brains are constantly evolving, and changing, due to more and more input, of which we still choose; and from this you can draw the conclusion that if we understand that our external programming via external stimuli, programs much of how we behave internally, we then have the choice to input positive programming into our minds for the purpose of improving and bettering ourselves, via positive self-talk, and so forth.

It all boils down to what you choose to believe in.
I believe we control the clock. Although it always runs, we can use it as we choose. We can choose how long we work, how long we play, how long we rest, how long we worry, and how long we procrasticate.
To blame the above choices on some external force, and not on your own internal force, is irresponsible.

We control our concepts. We control our thoughts and creative imaginations. We need to remember that imagination, with stimulation, leads to realization. Ask the POWs if anyone could control thier previews of coming attractions.
We control our contacts. We can't select all the people we'd like to work with and be with; but we control whom we spend most of our time with and we can meet new people. We can change our environments and seek out successful role models to learn from and share with.
To blame the above choices on some external force, and not on your own internal force, is irresponsible.

We control our communication. We are in charge of what we say, and how we say it. Realizing that nothing is learned while we talk, much of our communication is listening, observing, and qualifying. When we communicate (you and I) we are prepared to deliver a message that will offer value and mutual understanding on the part of the reciever.

We control our commitments. We choose which concepts, contacts, and communications warrent the most attention and effort. We are responsible for which of them become contractual, with priorities and deadlines. We create our own track to run on--slow, medium, or fast--in our commitments.

We control our causes. With our concepts, contacts, and commitments, we set our long-range goals in life, which become our causes, the things we are most identified with by others. You and I have worthy causes and a game plan for life, which gives us confidence and courage.

We control our concerns. Most people react emotionally to everything they interpret as a threat to their self-worth. Because you and I have a creative self-image and deep-down inside feeling of self-worth, regardless of what's going on around us--we respond, rather than react--using left-brain logic and right-brain intuition. And our responses usually are constructive. What concerns us most is the joy of living.

We realize that we are responsible for causing our own effects in life. We tackle the toughest, most challenging assignments in our lives first, understanding that our gratification will come after we have made the effort to do the job. We tell our employers what we are going to offer them in the way of service, before we ask about the pay scale and benefit package. We are well aware that our true rewards in life will depend on the quality and amount of contribution we make. In the long run, we reap what we sow.

The bottom line I am saying is everybody has their own responsibility to control their lives for the better.

If you believe you are NOT in control..then that's basically what you will get.

Accept responsibility and realize the control you possess, and use it!

when walking from the ghetto into greatness...what do you mean?? what is this greatness that we should be achieving and striving for? a person can still go into greatness and live in the ghetto can't they?

Those were not my words, but the author's. And I can safely assume that the general consensus of what is "greatness" is most likely not going to be in the slums of the crime-ridden ghettos of America. But sure, you can change your perspective and thus change your reality to find greatness in the Ghetto. And that, my friend..is what keeps many people in the Ghetto, and out of what is beyond the Ghetto.

So, Kaiowas...Do you believe you are responsible and in control of the life you lead, and how you will live? Will you take responsibility for your internal thoughts that affect your external events? Are you going to accept that you must take more conscious-control internally and thus control more externally?
Because that's what I'm trying to get across here.. conscious-internal-control and conscious responsiblity, and self-awareness.

--------------------

Invisiblekaiowas
lest we baguette
 User Gallery

Loc: oz
    #2534625 - 04/07/04 10:31 AM (19 years, 11 months ago)

"Everybody has this power, but not everybody consciously uses it, properly, or to thier fullest extent."

that is exactly what I was saying. 

as was stated before...

"best-adjusted individuals in their present and older lives are those who believe they have a strong measure of control over their lives. They seem to choose more appropriate responses to what occurs and to stand up to inevitable changes with less apprehension."

what I was referring to is controlling external situations, and depending on them for your happiness. depending on external objects such as money for happiness.   

you said "The greatest single cause of what's ailing America, in my opinion, is the 'irresponsible obsession with immediate sensual gratification.'" going deeper, I think it is people trying to find gratification in the wrong places and this is why we like instant gratification.what we are looking for is long term gratification. this type of gratification will only come when a person accepts themselves, the situations, and the world around them. But in this place we are in, time and time again, the only type of gratification seen is the short term, why???  because it's the only one presented to us the most. the idea is that we must constantly change what is going on so we can be happy, when in fact, you can enjoy the now. 

We have ideas of right and wrong shown to us while we are youn, and it is this real early establishment that I am basing part of my response on. what you are going to choose to me has a lot to do with your beliefs and morals.  not only ideas but we were told that they are universal in nature.  you can see htis because we have laws.  we have laws because poeple ge greedy or overemotional, both stem from our wanting of satisfaction and our morals.

we are given morals before we are able to experience them.

What I am saying the way we have civilization set up has a lot of influence on the way we think. I think that's a better way to put it :wink:.  didn't mean to confuse there. to me, influence doesn't mean lack of control at all. I think I get what you mean, tell me if I'm wrong. you are trying to say that you get to choose what influence you take in.  I agree but if you look around, notice a couple of things

1) the amount of influence available that gears towards a materialistic sense of happiness is enormous.

2) the influence that is readily available (ie easily accessable, or visually apparent) shows and tells the viewer that the way to find happiness is to buy, or to have this happen to yourself.  buy a lotto ticket!

what I am saying is this influence greatly retards any kind of consciousness realization. 

blame is not what I meant at all.  that's why I said "who is the one that determines what I do" the only answer to that is you!"  this clearly shows my standpoint.

I know I said at the end of my post that we aren't in control.  and what I mean is that we hardly control any of the influence.  sure we can choose which influence, but repetition is one of the way humans do learn.  our rational brains love that stuff, and we pick up on it. To me, for at least one cause, there is at least one effect. 

Here's my other point:

it is one thing to intellectually realize that you don't have to worry so much, but that doesn't really stop it.  a realization isn't going to be the thing that determines how you will react the next time.  It barely has a say on how long you will worry for. Action, doing is what will do the trick.  In order to grow, we need to use our rational minds and ego to help ourselves instead of the opposite. 

when I went to school I was told that I was there so I can get an education, get a job, for what....money. not really for what I want to do, but so I can live the American Dream.  make those corporations all that money, w00t!

The TV is used as a babystting tool, and oh the commericals.  the smiling faces as soon as the product hits that hand.  only 2 years old, your mind will pick up on that shit.  TO me what you do early on will define your core beliefs for you until you want to change them. and changingthose are horridly hard! months and years of pratice.  well you are only going to pratice if you see that you had the control the whole time.

the fact that many of us need to change our ways of thinking should have a little bit of indication that the way we have things et up has influence.

what bothers me is that most of us don't consciously use our awareness more and more.  we'd rather flip on the tube...

:tongue:

--------------------
Annnnnnd I had a light saber and my friend was there and I said "you look like an indian" and he said "you look like satan" and he found a stick and a rock and he named the rock ooga booga and he named the stick Stick and we both thought that was pretty funny. We got eaten alive by mosquitos but didn't notice til the next day. I stepped on some glass while wading in the swamp and cut my foot open, didn't bother me til the next day either....yeah it was a good time, ended the night by buying some liquor for minors and drinking nips and going to he diner and eating chicken fingers, and then I went home and went to bed.

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck