Home | Community | Message Board

Out-Grow.com - Mushroom Growing Kits & Supplies
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | Next >  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Invisiblesilversoul7
Chill the FuckOut!
 User Gallery

Loc: mndfreeze's puppet army
What's the biggest danger of psychedelic use?
    #2458075 - 03/21/04 06:05 PM (20 years, 11 days ago)

I remember someone once said, "Mushrooms expanded my mind, but at the cost of my sanity." I could see how that could happen. You take too many psychedelics and you start to overanalyze everything, and become trapped inside your mind. What would you say is the biggest downside of psychedelics?

--------------------

"It is dangerous to be right when the government is wrong."--Voltaire

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineYellowSubmarine
Soviet Pig

Loc: U.S.S.R.
Re: What's the biggest danger of psychedelic use? [Re: silversoul7]
    #2458152 - 03/21/04 06:37 PM (20 years, 11 days ago)

Displacement amongst people and society. The non-users. We live in an age where psychedelics are 'old news', 'bad', you take them and you're fucked up or a druggie. There are no room for psychedelics in the West or anywhere for that matter. What we need is a chemist, a few chemist who will output Acid like it was 1964 and spread it across this robot country. People will pick up on it again. But that's just crazy.

My op.

OfflineTwirling
Barred Spiral
Male

Re: What's the biggest danger of psychedelic use? [Re: YellowSubmarine]
    #2458178 - 03/21/04 06:46 PM (20 years, 11 days ago)

I agree about displacement among society. There is the feeling of "Nobody understands" and alienation. It's unfortuntly, reenforced by the fact that there are a lot of people who don't understand. It takes a bit of self-actualization and understanding the way people's misconceptions work.

But then again, I've felt that way far before ever using any psychedelics.

I would imagine that if you were either pre-disposed to certain mental illness, it would be the worst thing to happen (outside of a freak accident or deep seated sucidal feelings surfacing).

Offlinerdnp2035
Stranger

#2458252 - 03/21/04 07:15 PM (20 years, 11 days ago)

I agree with you guys. "Nobody wants an alien," the Whipers sing sadly. I certainly have/do sometimes feel this way. But as much as it can be a bummer to feel different from most people, it's not that bad. I can imagine myself as a messenger from the future, or a secret agent for the other side, or something like that. Also, I too have long felt like an outsider..I felt pretty alone for most of my life. But with psychedelics I've come to realize that while I am part of a minority in society, there are a ton of other people who are very simular to me and that we can team up in our explorations. Artist and thinkers who are drawn to the fringes their whole lives until discovering psychedelics, finding endless creative expression, fullfillment, and a vast network of fellow travelers riding the same waves. We're all part of an ongoing underground party, hardly alone.
Yeah, keep up the banter yellowsub, if we keep on demanding some chemists the LSD situation..maybe some will.

OfflineTwirling
Barred Spiral
Male

Re: What's the biggest danger of psychedelic use? [Re: rdnp2035]
    #2458307 - 03/21/04 07:31 PM (20 years, 11 days ago)

Quote:

rdnp2035 said:
Also, I too have long felt like an outsider..I felt pretty alone for most of my life. But with psychedelics I've come to realize that while I am part of a minority in society, there are a ton of other people who are very simular to me and that we can team up in our explorations.

Exactly. I think the alienation is very much in my head when I feel that way. Nothing to be ashamed of. I do however find myself trying not to fall into the ego head game of believing that I'm smarter than everyone else. It's funny to go back and forth between two extremes.

That being said, the potential is there to go a bit over the edge in terms of not being able to function within society, but that's usually only happens when psychedelics are used too often or from HPPD.

Invisiblesilversoul7
Chill the FuckOut!
 User Gallery

Loc: mndfreeze's puppet army
Re: What's the biggest danger of psychedelic use? [Re: Twirling]
    #2458356 - 03/21/04 07:45 PM (20 years, 11 days ago)

Psychedelics only slightly magnified my already strong alienation from society, so it wasn't that big of a deal for me. One of the biggest downsides for me was struggling to describe an experience which is beyond words.

--------------------

"It is dangerous to be right when the government is wrong."--Voltaire

OfflineYellowSubmarine
Soviet Pig

Loc: U.S.S.R.
    #2458368 - 03/21/04 07:49 PM (20 years, 11 days ago)

I don't like describing unless people are GENUINLEY interested in listening. I always feel like I am wasting my breath to describe the experience to a non-user.

OfflineTwirling
Barred Spiral
Male

#2458387 - 03/21/04 07:54 PM (20 years, 11 days ago)

It's an interesting paradox for me, psychedelics made me realize I truly am apart of everything, but that so many people are stuck in their judgements of each other. Really, it's a WHOLE lot better than it was, because I used to despise what goes on in the world.... Now I just laugh at it because it's so absurd (or feel sad about it at the sametime).

OfflineHarveyWalbanger
Demiurge
Male

Loc: 8b
    #2458470 - 03/21/04 08:19 PM (20 years, 11 days ago)

Quote:

What's the biggest danger of psychedelic use?

Authority figures :smile:

OfflineHIghInOhio
stranger thanyou
 User Gallery

Loc: ohio
Re: What's the biggest danger of psychedelic use? [Re: HarveyWalbanger]
    #2458532 - 03/21/04 08:35 PM (20 years, 11 days ago)

I have always felt society is quite absurd, and have been an anarchist long before I began using psychedelics, and have had a hard time wondering "do i realize something people are completely oblivious to, or am I just another egotisctical, arrogant member of society" With much consideration of this under the influence of hallucinogens, I now try to stray away from this "hierarchy" I have created for myself, and try to view things from as many different views, and through as many different experiences as possible. "at the cost of my sanity", I am willing to pay this, as long as communication between other people is still possible.

OfflineMitchnast
Toadmonger
Male User Gallery

Loc: Okanagan Flag
    #2458544 - 03/21/04 08:38 PM (20 years, 11 days ago)

the biggest danger of psychedelic use?
fear. because everyone has it, it makes them angry, makes them hate things.  it can take hold of you and seem like wisdom, make you alienate the people around you and convince you that they are alienating you.

there are ways to fight the fear, to abandon it and allow your anger and frustration to follow.

the first fear is separation anxiety, the fear caused by the sensation of partial or complete ego-loss.
to beleive you are alone, always were, and always will be, simply existing in a subjective delusion formally taken for granted as a shared "reality".
this fear is  needless, and backwards.
fear always seeks to make your world smaller and more manageable. making your ego bigger, and thus driving a wedge between you and everyone else.
know that you are never alone, that wherever you are and whatever you lose, if you stay true, then you are doing good for everyone, and you've passed the first hurdle.

the second fear is the fear that you are never alone, and never were alone. that you are being watched, and that your actions and sordid indiscretions are well documented and available to everyone.  that nobody could accept you for the inhuman thoughts and malice you held, or the perverse compulsions of your confused mind.
the second hurdle is a powerful fear indeed. to pass it you must know that we are all human, and we all imperfect. forgiveness for yourself and respect for the world around you is the key. understanding and compassion is how you turn it.
boldly and humbly is how you pass the gate.

the third fear. the supernatural
the powerful manifestation of all fears.  the uncontrollable doom that perhaps seeks to destroy you,to take that which you hold dear and precious and leave you hollow. this fear manifests in the form of apparition. the idea that things you see or experience may, by there similarity to images or messages considered by you to be indicative of the demonic.
the idea that for all your effort to purify yourself, a devil exists and breathes down your neck with drooling happy glee for your suffering.
his breath rank and dense with decay, his motion symmetrical and exacting, his sound jagged and his will powerful and dominant.
always his left hand reaches out to take the delicate and fragile innocence you clutch to your breast with your right hand. always he is here, menacing, you cannot look away for in your mind, he is far more terrifying.  he convinces you that he will one day win, that everyday he wins a bit more anyway, and that somehow, relief exists in surrender. all you have to do is give up that pitiful little thing.  go back to society and life out the task set before you. walk the road and die like you ought to.  and perhaps he will go away.

the danger here is real, because that precious thing is all you are, all that is good about you, something you owe to evryone. and the devil, follow his left hand up his arm, and surely you will find your face, down your right arm to your hand, and there it is.  surrender is as easy as switcing hands. just like that, you might even think by surrender, you win........ all the world for you to gain, control, power.

that fear is a hard one. its a fear of yourself.

some people turn to alcohol, hard drugs, violence, self-mutilation, suicide.
all ways to get away from yourself. all ways of surrender.

your darkness.

the shining spiral of all your fears combined.
the personification of the realization that you never really got passed the first two..

forgive him.

even god himself, cast the devil away. look what it did! just look at you.

shake your head, smile, and forgive yourself, and admit that sometimes, you can just be a damn idiot.  but that doesn't mean you will give in.

live rightly, and do so without pride, accept that loss can and eventually will claim anything and everything you posess. 

but also know that everything you experience is an addition to the sum of your experiences. and that final sum is what matters, use the best numbers you can find to add it up.  and have no fear.

do no fear death.

death is the hypothetical endpoint to a paradigm that cannot be truly measured linearly.
your life is being created now, it will be creating itself until its over, and then it will be finished, completed, not "gone". you are the essence of the summary of the way you perceived the world around you and yourself.  wide and rich in the middle with both light and dark swirling, narrower and milky at the far ends. like a giant open eye gazing into the eternal.
to be completed, is to awaken from a dream, one by one, we awaken all together, open our eyes and look out onto the sea.

fear makes your world small and would keep you away from all that.

you cant lose anything by taking psychedelics that you wouldn't loose anyway, but you may gain something that can never be taken away.......

so.  nows where you write your own story.  touch ohers as deeply as you can, and help them be free from despair.  and you, be free from despair for me. :smile:

Edited by Mitchnast (01/17/08 05:58 AM)

Offlinedjd586
Underpants Gnome

#2458976 - 03/21/04 10:38 PM (20 years, 11 days ago)

I would say emotional fluxuations and anxiety.

--------------------

Phase 1... collect underpants... phase 2...??? ... Phase 3 - PROFIT!

Offlinebarfightlard
tales of theinexpressible
Male

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Canoodia
    #2458982 - 03/21/04 10:41 PM (20 years, 11 days ago)

Thats just what happened to me. I overanalyze everythign and I am trapped in my mind. I think it was only my 5th trip that really started all that. I actually wish I never tripped that night, but knew how powerful mush really could be. I abused them and they abused me.

--------------------

"What business is it of yours what I do, read, buy, see, say, think, who I fuck, what I take into my body - as long as I do not harm another human being on this planet?" - Bill Hicks

Offlinegnrm23
Carpal Tunnel
Loc: n. e. OH, USSA
    #2459558 - 03/22/04 06:38 AM (20 years, 11 days ago)

i dunno about the biggest danger...

but a danger is that you become convinced that the "drug" is "causing" the experience, and the the only way to experience this state is to "take a drug" ...

hehheh...

--------------------
old enough to know better
not old enough to care

Offlinegotmagog
searching fortruth andlogic...

Loc: Europe
    #2459687 - 03/22/04 08:49 AM (20 years, 11 days ago)

A danger is that one may become attached to the experience itself, and not to the positive change it brings to his life.

It is fun and useful to hear the messages of psychedelics, but the place to test this wisdom is our lives and whether the changes brought by psychedelics have made our lives better, was the price and dangers worth it.

Trips may show u beautiful things, and u should use this knowledge and try to intgrate it in your "normal" life of relations with people, love, job, etc. A danger is one to feel "enlightened" for himself and stay an outsider to people, feeling the ego games of being better than everypne else.

I personally feel that the price and dangers of psychedelics is worth it and there is a way that a user of such substances may use them to improve his normal life.

InvisibleKrishna
कृष्ण,LOL
 User Gallery

Loc: oakland
    #2459689 - 03/22/04 08:51 AM (20 years, 11 days ago)

To me, the biggest danger or downside has been that I have trouble to fully enjoy a concert without being on some psychedelic. While tripping I feel like dancing all the time, and can feel the music flow through and around me... without tripping I feel like I'm missing out on something at a show.

--------------------

Invisibleboeha
explorer

#2459735 - 03/22/04 09:15 AM (20 years, 11 days ago)

I would say suicide (although that somewhat relates to that fear-feeling) ...
Because on a trip; you often tend to notice how great life is under the influence of psychadelics, and that normal life is often very shallow, square, and nothing compared to tripping.
This is also where the addiction of psychadelics is located, I think.

But if you are a bit smart; you know that it is just a magnified emotion, that you think can't have fun in everyday life; so for the average Joe, the problem shouldn't be that bad.

And in extent of this; I am a bit worried of this; that I'm living my life too intense... Can't really describe it; just a feeling that you have discovered some great power within yourself, but you don't know if you were supposed to find that out...
I find that this piece of script describes that emotion best:
"The only chance now, I felt, was the possibility that we'd gone to such excess that nobody in the position to bring the hammer down on us could possibly believe it. " (F&L/LV)

--------------------
- turn on, tune in, drop out ...
- peace, love and understanding ...

Edited by boeha (03/22/04 09:17 AM)

InvisibleXlea321
Stranger
Re: What's the biggest danger of psychedelic use? [Re: boeha]
    #2460000 - 03/22/04 11:38 AM (20 years, 11 days ago)

Biggest danger? Being arrested. Compared to that danger nothing else even comes close.

Offlinepattern
multiplayer

Loc: Canada
    #2460337 - 03/22/04 01:44 PM (20 years, 10 days ago)

I think the biggest danger is the criminality: going to jail and/or being alienated from society. Fear of this can cause panic, rash judgements, and stupid actions. Ever tripped while cops are busting you? It ain't enjoyable and can make you very paranoid during future trips. Plus, having a criminal record makes it tough to get a job in the working world. Employers assume you are a drug addict and won't hire you.

The secondary danger, stemming partly from being outcasted, is going insane from abuse and addiction. I think this danger would be lessened if psychedelics weren't so shunned. There aren't alot of people or places to go to for treatment/support.

--------------------
man = monkey + mushroom

InvisibleRavus
Not an EggshellWalker
 User Gallery

Loc: Cave of the Patriarchs
Re: What's the biggest danger of psychedelic use? [Re: pattern]
    #2461911 - 03/22/04 09:35 PM (20 years, 10 days ago)

The biggest problem of the drug "problem" is prohibition. As for the alienation, psychedelics seem to enhance one's personality, as one who is creative will be more creative, one who is a loner will be more of a loner, etc. I have always been more of a loner, so it's no surprise that after I started doing psychedelics I continued to want to be alone, just hiking in the woods or being with nature rather than partying. However, if you have any past or family history of mental disorders, the biggest problem of psychedelics can be bringing out the effects of the mental disorder when you may have not had them in your lifetime if you hadn't use psychedelics, but this is rarer than people like to think, IME.

--------------------
So long as you are praised think only that you are not yet on your own path but on that of another.

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies