Home | Community | Message Board

Myco Supply
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> The Psychedelic Experience

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | Next >  [ show all ]
OfflineShroomyTunes
psychedeliac

Loc: Ontario
Psychedelics and Atheism
    #2883799 - 07/12/04 10:30 PM (12 years, 4 months ago)

I have tripped many times in the past. Only from mushrooms though, nothing else. Before doing mushrooms I was an atheist, and tripping only further confirmed the fact that religion is a giant fairy tale to me. I definetely do not believe in any god, and I find the fact that people actually believe christianity to be ridiculous. Has anybody ever had any experiences that changed or stabilized their views on christianity or any religion, both for and against them?

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
InvisibleAdom
Totally Nude
 User Gallery
Loc: Way Up North
Re: Psychedelics and Atheism [Re: ShroomyTunes]
    #2883848 - 07/12/04 10:41 PM (12 years, 4 months ago)

Why does giving up religion mean you should give up spirituality? Isn't tripping about keeping an open mind? Aren't alot of things possible?

Acid and mushrooms never answered anything for me, what I have gotten from them is alot of questions.

InvisibleLetto
Load Universeinto Cannon. Aimat Brain. Fire.
    #2883999 - 07/12/04 11:19 PM (12 years, 4 months ago)

I was an atheist before trying mushrooms, and now I am very spiritual and completely open minded. If someone needs Christianity to make it through their day-to-day life, that is their call and I sincerely feel happy for them. Just because I don't agree doesn't make their beliefs rediculous.

OfflineBonez420
8=======8

Loc: out of my element
Re: Psychedelics and Atheism [Re: Letto]
    #2885177 - 07/13/04 09:55 AM (12 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

Letto said:
Just because I don't agree doesn't make their beliefs rediculous.

Exactly what I was thinking. Personally, I consider myself to be Christian (although the main thing is that yes, I believe in God... I could care less about the religious group affiliation). If I come across an athiest, I treat them the same as anyone else. I DAMN sure don't force my views on anyone, and I don't think anyone is rediculous for believing in a way other than me. Everyone makes up their own minds.

Anyway, whenever I trip, I have lots of insights, many of which are spiritual. There hasn't been anything that completely solidified my views. Just your average shroom-induced, I-feel-like-a-philosopher insights. :smile:

--------------------
"Many times I've lied - Many times I've listened,
Many times I've wondered how much there is to know."
-Led Zeppelin (Over the Hills and Far Away)

InvisibleAdden
Saprotrophic Specimen
I'm a teapot User Gallery

Loc: Amongst the Dunes
    #2885559 - 07/13/04 12:41 PM (12 years, 4 months ago)

I was born and raised Protestant. They seem to have it pretty together as far as Christianity goes,

but alas, I'm agnostic. There is a God, I dont know who he/she/it is or how he/she/it works, but I know it's inside me, and I don't have to pass the collection plate or molest little boys to get closer to God.

Offlineskullfarmer1979
shamanator
Loc: Bum Fuck, Egypt
    #2886071 - 07/13/04 02:37 PM (12 years, 4 months ago)

i also was atheist before i tripped on mushrooms, but the shrooms changed it all.i belive in god now but not in the same way christians believe.i am still skeptical that there ever was jesus(son of god who died for our sins) but i believe there is some kind of creating energy, a magical motor if you will,that controls this cycle of life we are born into. i had a death and rebirth on shrooms once and during this i regressed in my mind all the way through 4.6 billion years of encoded information in my DNA. i witnessed creation itself.there was no heaven or hell. i'm not sure what death will be like,but i'm sure it will be a new beginning.

--------------------
I TASTE THE WREAKAGE OF CRUMBLING FACES,I KNOW THE PALE THING IN THE DARKEST OF PLACES. -DAX RIGGS-

get the most out of life,listen to ACID BATH!!!!

OfflineSeussA
Error: divide byzero

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Caribbean
    #2886128 - 07/13/04 02:50 PM (12 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

Before doing mushrooms I was an atheist, and tripping only further confirmed the fact that religion is a giant fairy tale to me.

Odd... trips usually open ones mind rather than closing it.

--------------------
Just another spore in the wind.

Offlinenickelpenny
journeyman
Re: Psychedelics and Atheism [Re: Seuss]
    #2886740 - 07/13/04 05:58 PM (12 years, 4 months ago)

I'm like bonez420.

Some people live for god.
And some live for the moment.

I live for the moment, but i believe there is a god.

InvisibleMOTH
Wild Woman
 User Gallery

Loc: In the jungle
Re: Psychedelics and Atheism [Re: nickelpenny]
    #2886761 - 07/13/04 06:06 PM (12 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

nickelpenny said:
I'm like bonez420.

Some people live for god.
And some live for the moment.

I live for the moment, but i believe there is a god.

Me too.

OfflineShroomyTunes
psychedeliac

Re: Psychedelics and Atheism [Re: MOTH]
    #2886783 - 07/13/04 06:13 PM (12 years, 4 months ago)

Mushrooms have opened my mind vastly. I have become somewhat enlightened, I have overcome most biases and conditioning that our young brains are taught and I feel very good about this but for some reason my psychedelic experiences have done no justice for my religious beliefs. I am quite spiritual actually, I just dont believe in any sort of god.

InvisibleMOTH
Wild Woman
 User Gallery

Loc: In the jungle
    #2886827 - 07/13/04 06:29 PM (12 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

ShroomyTunes said:
Mushrooms have opened my mind vastly. I have become somewhat enlightened, I have overcome most biases and conditioning that our young brains are taught and I feel very good about this but for some reason my psychedelic experiences have done no justice for my religious beliefs. I am quite spiritual actually, I just dont believe in any sort of god.

Actually, the first 4-5 times I did mushrooms, I began to have a hatred for the concept of "God."  I didn't believe that there was a God at all, and if there was I hated him.  Lots of stuff from my past began rising up to strangle my spirituality. 

Then, I had an..."experience..."  :mushroom2:

Everyone is at a different level in their spiritual journey.  The important thing is that your spirituality is fresh, alive, ever-evolving within you.  Never let it grow stagnant.  I believe that mushrooms assist in keeping the vigor of spirituality alive.  One day, your mind might change.  You just never know.  :sun:

OfflineDivided_Sky
Ten ThousandThings

Loc: The Shining Void
    #2887689 - 07/13/04 11:46 PM (12 years, 4 months ago)

If anything tripping has taught me how much really is a matter of faith. Considering how little we know for sure, believing in God doesn't seem so crazy.
I have a more pantheistic view, but I think there is a supreme or higher force/being which is a composite organism of all us little things. This greater entity is the basis for virtue and altruism. I think it is like the Christian God in many ways except it is not anthropomorhpic, independently existing, human-like, and it does not require belief n Jesus.

Offlineel_duderino
 User Gallery

Loc: South Australia
    #2888714 - 07/14/04 07:51 AM (12 years, 4 months ago)

I have the view that anybody who believes in any sort of organised religion is philosophically lazy (if that makes any sense?). They have given up asking questions and settled for an easy answer.

My religious beliefs are that, i don't fucking know, and i will likely never know, but that's the whole fun in it. Always questioning and entertaining ideas or coming up with new ones, religios discussions can be fun and thought provoking so long as you are not stubborn in your beliefs, have an open mind and are always willing to accept another belief (that does not mean u should be fooled easily).

Does that make me an agnostic?

Furthermore i should say that most of the very ritualised religions like Orthodox Jews and Catholics are just mind-numbing. The mantras (mia culpa) and reciting of the lines you learn and the performance of the priest in his purple robe saying his lines, i believe in a way makes u fall into a sort of trance. In a vulnerable state like hypnosis where any suggestion can be believed. For the cunning religious leader-guy up front he has an opportunity at mind control. (If he is evil and all that)

Catholic priests (for the most part) suck all the joy out of young children like big giant leeches and keep them depressed with a feeling of guilt for the rest of their lives. They now need to always come back for absolution just like another hit of that great opiate that lets u forget your problems for just a short time. Yes religion is an opiate for the masses.

Jesus was way cool, a truly enlightened being like buddah, too bad people truly fucked up what he stood for.

But hey, whatever lets u get thru the day... just believe in that and dont be mean to people. :wink:

(one more thing) I forgot who said this but, "In a bad trip, there's no such thing as an atheist"

OfflineShroomyTunes
psychedeliac

Re: Psychedelics and Atheism [Re: el_duderino]
    #2890470 - 07/14/04 05:48 PM (12 years, 4 months ago)

This is very interesting. The last post summed up a lot for me. I really don't know what to think right now and I'm hoping a few more trips might help me out (just obtained 14 grams :smile:)...I definetely believe that all organized religions are wrong. I don't think that any religion on this earth is accurate in the depiction of our god or gods. What makes Christianity so right and Muslim so wrong and vice versa? I think they are both wrong. It is always so thought provoking to wonder about the spiritual world and I think that anyone who is a dedicated muslim, jew, christian, etc. is just as close-minded as a strong atheist. Right now, I am on the edge of weak-atheist and agnostic. Hopefully my trips can help me further.

p.s. I watched "Hour of Power" on mushrooms...It scared me so much to read the lyrics of the hymns, hear what was being said, etc...I've come to the conclusion that organized religion is brainwash. Unfortunately, people would rather invest their time in obtaining a false sense of security than to think for themselves.

Edited by ShroomyTunes (07/14/04 05:49 PM)

Offlinemonoamine
umask 077(nonefor you)

Loc: Jacksonville,FL
    #2890964 - 07/14/04 08:14 PM (12 years, 4 months ago)

Mushrooms (and acid) turned me from an atheist to an agnostic.

--------------------
People think that if you just say the word "hallucinations" it explains everything you want it to explain and eventually whatever it is you can't explain will just go away.It's just a word,it doesn't explain anything...
Douglas Adams

Invisiblesilversoul7
Chill the FuckOut!
 User Gallery

Loc: mndfreeze's puppet army
    #2890997 - 07/14/04 08:24 PM (12 years, 4 months ago)

On mushrooms, I experienced a sense of oneness with the universe. Everything felt interconnected, as if it was a part of me and I a part of it. I felt this energy source in the center of it all. It was like the universe had a consciousness to it. At the time I called it God, though now I find it more accurate and descriptive to refer to it as "the Source," as it did not seem to be any sort of anthropomorphic entity. So in summary, mushrooms have given me a more positive outlook on spirituality, though I am even more hostile now to organized religion, especially seeing two of my closest friends who are slaves to the Catholic church.

--------------------

"It is dangerous to be right when the government is wrong."--Voltaire

Offlinemonoamine
umask 077(nonefor you)

Loc: Jacksonville,FL
Re: Psychedelics and Atheism [Re: silversoul7]
    #2891047 - 07/14/04 08:39 PM (12 years, 4 months ago)

Get a haircut...hippy. (jk)

--------------------
People think that if you just say the word "hallucinations" it explains everything you want it to explain and eventually whatever it is you can't explain will just go away.It's just a word,it doesn't explain anything...
Douglas Adams

OfflineNickatina
journeyman
Male
Loc: Bay Area, California.
    #2893314 - 07/15/04 02:24 PM (12 years, 4 months ago)

Mushrooms have steered my religious/spirtual beliefs toward a more impersonal force like the tao...

--------------------
"Make the most of the hemp seed, Sow it everywhere" -George Washington

OfflineCubieman420
Sharing in thegroove
 User Gallery

Loc: Midwest
Re: Psychedelics and Atheism [Re: Nickatina]
    #2893431 - 07/15/04 03:04 PM (12 years, 4 months ago)

I was raised christain but never was very religious altough I did believe in god, but who wouldn't when going to sunday school/church every sunday was just as common as going to school. Not really forced down my throat but church and church group activites were just a regular occurence so inturn I believed in god like all the other good little girls and boys. I was confirmed christian but as I got older (15-16) I started to question religion in general, and then psychedelics basically confirmed to me that religion is BULLSHIT, yes you heard me, BULLSHIT. I hate it when people get the impression that people who don't believe in some higher power are just drab negative people with no creativeness, imagination...etc. I LOVE nature and its natural beauty, and I understand that people have evolved just like every other organism on this planet. I don't try to push my views to other people, but I do have to laugh at those with such strange beliefs.

--------------------
"...now waters run free, no more fish in the sea..."
1983-2004

InvisibleAbstractHarmonix
Love is like a train...
Female

Loc: The Sea
    #2893504 - 07/15/04 03:25 PM (12 years, 4 months ago)

"p.s. I watched "Hour of Power" on mushrooms...It scared me so much to read the lyrics of the hymns, hear what was being said, etc...I've come to the conclusion that organized religion is brainwash. Unfortunately, people would rather invest their time in obtaining a false sense of security than to think for themselves."

This is very so true, at least to me. I look to Self for spiritual realizations and sojourns. I am also very influenced by my cosmic consciousness, for me it seems to be the basis for reality.

People who succumb to the Church are weak. Not bad, and I respect everyone, for I am a humanitarian. Yet I have watched friends and family members turn to the church for help. All the church gave them in return was an explanation of why they were bad people (or these bad things were coming over them), and how they were letting the devil take over in their lives, and without this church there will be no sense of God in your soul.

Individually, people have faith. The only person you can trust is yourself, because particularly, it is the only person you know.Everyone creates their own reality and molds to their own transcedental views of _________ <--any subject here) Community is great, if it isn't run by mass evil...Like Wal-Mart and Benny Hinn.

Wow, I really hate Wal-Mart. I should start a thread. Im sure its probably been done though.

Look to your God and goddess and nature, earth mother, buddah, allah, you name it...you got it... inside of you.
Let your mind prevail.

--------------------
A plethora of music aspirations control my temptations of future revelations beyond "now". The percussion, and the heart beat of my love and devotion. The rhythm goes beyond, prying into the third eye, releasing the creativity held so far inside. The melodicies, through the out of tune pianos and broken classical guitars...there lies a beauty. A beauty as prevelent as the fire inside. To release these energies is pure ecstacy, to deveop these gifts is sacred. The vocality, so pure as can be, shying away from herself, lies within me. For the underlying serenitity, this is what I live for. I plea for harmony, and nothing more. Music equals love. Creation of love leads to the procreativity of the World, and it's spirals and puddles prevailing.

Jump to top. Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | Next >  [ show all ]

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> The Psychedelic Experience