Home | Community | Message Board

MushroomMan Mycology
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.


Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Sporeworks.EU Spores for European Microscopy   Original Sensible Seeds USA West Coast Strains   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 |  [ show all ]
California to be first state with $15/hour minimum wage! * 1
    #23055656 -

This just in:

California reaches deal to be first state with $15/hour minimum wage

Minimum wage increases have been successful in places they've been implemented so far, so California wants the whole state to enjoy the benefits of $15/hr.

This will not only help the working people, but it will bring in even more taxes for the state, which has enjoyed some huge tax surpluses in recent years as a result of voter approved tax increases.


--------------------
I am in a minority on the shroomery, as I frequently defend the opposing side when they have a point about something or when my side make believes something about them.  I also attack my side if I think they're wrong.  People here get very confused by that and think it means I prefer the other side.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: California to be first state with $15/hour minimum wage! [Re: Falcon91Wolvrn03]
    #23055681 -

It's about time. People need to eat ffs.


--------------------


"To be yourself in a world that is constantly trying to make you something else is the greatest accomplishment" - Ralph Waldo Emerson

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: California to be first state with $15/hour minimum wage! [Re: Falcon91Wolvrn03]
    #23055735 -

Falcon91Wolvrn03 said:
This just in:

California reaches deal to be first state with $15/hour minimum wage

Minimum wage increases have been successful in places they've been implemented so far, so California wants the whole state to enjoy the benefits of $15/hr.

This will not only help the working people, but it will bring in even more taxes for the state, which has enjoyed some huge tax surpluses in recent years as a result of voter approved tax increases.



That means that everything else will go up as if there were never an increase. Everyone will be in the same situation as it was before the raise. The only way to help the economy is to bring down the prices of everything, not raise it up.

Edited by Douglas Howard (03/28/16 05:01 PM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: California to be first state with $15/hour minimum wage! [Re: Douglas Howard]
    #23055775 -

Douglas Howard said:
That means that everything else will go up as if there were never an increase. Everyone will be in the same situation as it was before the raise. The only way to help the economy is to bring down the prices of everything, not raise it up.



I've posted this dozens of times, but I realize not everyone reads every post, so here it is again:

Falcon91Wolvrn03 said:
According to this study, (which is even referenced by the libertarian Cato Institute):

Quote:
Despite the different methodologies, data periods and data sources, most studies found that a 10% US minimum wage increase raises food prices by no more than 4% and overall prices by no more than 0.4%.



A 0.4% increase in prices for a 10% minimum wage increase seems reasonable to me.



So if a 10% increase leads to a 0.4% increase in prices, then a 50% increase in wages might lead to a 2% increase in prices.  Not a bad deal!!!  :cookiemonster:


--------------------
I am in a minority on the shroomery, as I frequently defend the opposing side when they have a point about something or when my side make believes something about them.  I also attack my side if I think they're wrong.  People here get very confused by that and think it means I prefer the other side.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: California to be first state with $15/hour minimum wage! [Re: Falcon91Wolvrn03]
    #23056021 -

The cost of living will go up, even the food prices will go up as well. But if food prices goes up which means that the food manufacturers will be needing to cut back by purchasing unhealthy cheap gmo products in replace of healthy organic food products. They know that the oil prices has went down that they making sure that their products stay in high demand. Did you know that when oil prices had came down that oil companies had to start laying off because they had to lower their prices to keep up with the competitions. And which that means that the employees wages stays the same but less revenue is coming in. And so imagine if oil prices drops down some more while the employees has gotten an increase in pay. The politicians are to busy accepting bribes and when they retired, that they will vacate to an island in the Bahamas looking back at the states with a smirk on their face thinking how stupid we are for listening to them.



Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: California to be first state with $15/hour minimum wage! [Re: Douglas Howard]
    #23056056 -

Douglas Howard said:
The cost of living will go up, even the food prices will go up as well. But if food prices goes up which means that the food manufacturers will be needing to cut back by purchasing unhealthy cheap gmo products in replace of healthy organic food products.



But if people make 50% more money, and food prices only go up by, let's say 20%, people can actually afford to buy MORE healthy food.


--------------------
I am in a minority on the shroomery, as I frequently defend the opposing side when they have a point about something or when my side make believes something about them.  I also attack my side if I think they're wrong.  People here get very confused by that and think it means I prefer the other side.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: California to be first state with $15/hour minimum wage! [Re: Douglas Howard]
    #23056177 -

Quote:
Californians are fleeing the state in unprecedented numbers, and their primary destination is Texas, according to an analysis issued Monday.



Texas has no state income tax

Quote:
The estimated loss in annual income to California? Roughly $26 billion



But that's okay, they can just raise taxes on those dumb enough to stay, or unfortunate enough to be unable to leave

Quote:
The graphic also shows that the people leaving California earn more overall than those entering California.



I can't imagine why people with higher incomes would want to leave such a wonderful state, maybe they should have single payer health care

http://m.washingtontimes.com/news/2015/aug/31/texas-emerges-top-destination-californians-fleeing/


--------------------
http://www.countdowntotrump.com




Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: California to be first state with $15/hour minimum wage! [Re: hostileuniverse]
    #23056238 -

Can't wait for Hillary to go there and start campaigning on her $12/hr platform.


--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: California to be first state with $15/hour minimum wage! [Re: hostileuniverse]
    #23056342 -

hostileuniverse said:
Quote:
Californians are fleeing the state in unprecedented numbers, and their primary destination is Texas, according to an analysis issued Monday.



Quote:
The estimated loss in annual income to California? Roughly $26 billion





California is an expensive place to live.  People can't afford to live here on $10/hour.  A minimum wage increase will keep people here and bring considerable income to California.


--------------------
I am in a minority on the shroomery, as I frequently defend the opposing side when they have a point about something or when my side make believes something about them.  I also attack my side if I think they're wrong.  People here get very confused by that and think it means I prefer the other side.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: California to be first state with $15/hour minimum wage! [Re: Falcon91Wolvrn03]
    #23056383 -

If those fleeing Cali make more than those immigrating there, I'm pretty sure the ones leaving aren't making minimum wage


--------------------
http://www.countdowntotrump.com




Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: California to be first state with $15/hour minimum wage! [Re: Falcon91Wolvrn03]
    #23056405 -

Falcon91Wolvrn03 said:


California is an expensive place to live.  People can't afford to live here on $10/hour.  A minimum wage increase will keep people here and bring considerable income to California.



Bull shit, I can afford to live here.  If someone cannot afford to live in a location, the solution is to not live there, not give them more money for doing the same menial job.


--------------------
Even Jesus got stoned.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: California to be first state with $15/hour minimum wage! [Re: Falcon91Wolvrn03]
    #23056574 -

Falcon91Wolvrn03 said:
This just in:

California reaches deal to be first state with $15/hour minimum wage

Minimum wage increases have been successful in places they've been implemented so far, so California wants the whole state to enjoy the benefits of $15/hr.

This will not only help the working people, but it will bring in even more taxes for the state, which has enjoyed some huge tax surpluses in recent years as a result of voter approved tax increases.



"bring in even more taxes for the state"

How so?

"huge tax surpluses in recent years"

How much, which years?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: California to be first state with $15/hour minimum wage! [Re: Douglas Howard] * 1
    #23056591 -

Douglas Howard said:
Falcon91Wolvrn03 said:
This just in:

California reaches deal to be first state with $15/hour minimum wage

Minimum wage increases have been successful in places they've been implemented so far, so California wants the whole state to enjoy the benefits of $15/hr.

This will not only help the working people, but it will bring in even more taxes for the state, which has enjoyed some huge tax surpluses in recent years as a result of voter approved tax increases.



That means that everything else will go up as if there were never an increase. Everyone will be in the same situation as it was before the raise. The only way to help the economy is to bring down the prices of everything, not raise it up.



It doesn't have to cause higher food prices, are you suggesting the US couldn't meet a potential higher need for food in one state?  Why would the demand for food go higher?  Maybe people would buy better food, but NOT more food.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: California to be first state with $15/hour minimum wage! [Re: Falcon91Wolvrn03]
    #23056672 -

I have always followed the economic philosophy: government that artificially mandates or creates a financial circumstance;
the expense for doing so gets rerouted to the consumer/citizen.

I guess it will be interesting to follow the economic data of California....since they have taken this step.
That is one big economy.
Looks like some economic theories will be in uncharted waters. Interesting to see if my belief will be the same 3 to 5 years from now.


--------------------
“I must not fear.
Fear is the mind-killer.
Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration.
I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me.
And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path.
Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain.”

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: California to be first state with $15/hour minimum wage! [Re: SirTripAlot]
    #23056694 -

Will a business that could essentially do business anywhere in the US still stay in California?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: California to be first state with $15/hour minimum wage! [Re: hostileuniverse]
    #23056894 -

hostileuniverse said:
If those fleeing Cali make more than those immigrating there, I'm pretty sure the ones leaving aren't making minimum wage



The ones coming here are likely coming for a nice raise from what they were previously making.  That's why they're coming here.


--------------------
I am in a minority on the shroomery, as I frequently defend the opposing side when they have a point about something or when my side make believes something about them.  I also attack my side if I think they're wrong.  People here get very confused by that and think it means I prefer the other side.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: California to be first state with $15/hour minimum wage! [Re: Falcon91Wolvrn03]
    #23057042 -

qman said:
"bring in even more taxes for the state"

How so?



If more people stay in California and spend money in California, sales tax will go way up.

qman said:
"huge tax surpluses in recent years"

How much, which years?



We voted on a tax hike in 2012, and since then we've been able to put about $2-$3 billion per year of surplus money into our rainy day fund.



--------------------
I am in a minority on the shroomery, as I frequently defend the opposing side when they have a point about something or when my side make believes something about them.  I also attack my side if I think they're wrong.  People here get very confused by that and think it means I prefer the other side.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: California to be first state with $15/hour minimum wage! [Re: SirTripAlot]
    #23057054 -

SirTripAlot said:
I have always followed the economic philosophy: government that artificially mandates or creates a financial circumstance;
the expense for doing so gets rerouted to the consumer/citizen.



Correct.  It gets routed to the citizen in the form of a stronger middle class.  History has proven beyond a doubt that the countries with a strong middle class are those with strong Government involvement.  Look at the US from the 40's through the 70's, and Northern Europe today.

SirTripAlot said:
I guess it will be interesting to follow the economic data of California....since they have taken this step.
That is one big economy.
Looks like some economic theories will be in uncharted waters. Interesting to see if my belief will be the same 3 to 5 years from now.



It's already been done on a smaller scale in places like Washington, with good success.


--------------------
I am in a minority on the shroomery, as I frequently defend the opposing side when they have a point about something or when my side make believes something about them.  I also attack my side if I think they're wrong.  People here get very confused by that and think it means I prefer the other side.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: California to be first state with $15/hour minimum wage! [Re: qman] * 1
    #23057294 -

qman said:
Will a business that could essentially do business anywhere in the US still stay in California?



Of course - revenue will be high because everyone is buying things because everyone has money because the minimum wage is $15.


--------------------
"They consider me insane but I know that I am a hero living under the eyes of the gods."

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: California to be first state with $15/hour minimum wage! [Re: qman]
    #23057950 -

qman said:
Will a business that could essentially do business anywhere in the US still stay in California?



Nope, hence the 5 million that recently fled the state, that's A LOT of people, and progressives just dismiss it


--------------------
http://www.countdowntotrump.com




Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 |  [ show all ]

Shop: Sporeworks.EU Spores for European Microscopy   Original Sensible Seeds USA West Coast Strains   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order


Similar ThreadsPosterViewsRepliesLast post
* A couple of questions on the minimum wage
( 1 2 all )
Evolving 3,665 29 10/21/03 03:40 PM
by Evolving
* Minimum Wage Revisited
( 1 2 all )
Evolving 4,497 33 04/15/04 12:49 PM
by Tao
* The United States is NOT Capitalist...
( 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 all )
trendalM 17,903 133 09/28/09 11:34 AM
by Phred
* The young are becoming less liberal
( 1 2 3 4 ... 9 10 all )
Phred 13,505 195 11/17/03 12:16 PM
by Anonymous
* Whining about taxes
( 1 2 3 4 ... 9 10 all )
silversoul7 9,975 187 06/16/03 04:10 PM
by Azmodeus
* Welfare to Workfare
( 1 2 3 all )
lysergic 3,472 58 10/21/03 11:07 AM
by Rono
* Welfare in tribal societies
( 1 2 all )
somebodyelse 4,508 36 06/27/03 02:35 PM
by Xlea321
* welfare/poverty
( 1 2 all )
JonnyOnTheSpot 2,841 21 06/13/03 02:21 AM
by Xlea321

Extra information
You cannot start new topics / You cannot reply to topics
HTML is disabled / BBCode is enabled
Moderator: Enlil, ballsalsa
5,625 topic views. 0 members, 1 guests and 160 web crawlers are browsing this forum.
[ Show Images Only | Sort by Score | Print Topic ]
Search this thread:

Copyright 1997-2026 Mind Media. Some rights reserved.

Generated in 0.035 seconds spending 0.007 seconds on 16 queries.