Home | Community | Message Board

Sporeworks
Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals, CBD Edibles   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: < Back | 1 | 2  [ show all ]
InvisiblePsiloKitten
Ganja Goddess

Re: A couple of questions on the minimum wage [Re: Phluck]
    #2018049 - 10/17/03 03:39 PM (18 years, 3 months ago)

Some statistics for you:
I stole these from a Jim Hightower book..

-"Walmart is now the largest corporation on earth, having passed bpth General Motors and ExxonMobil for the top slot. It'll rake in nearly 250 billion in revenue in 2003 - more then the entire GDP of Ireland and Israel combined. (one day late in 2002 it had 1.4 billion in revenue -more then the GDP of 36 nations."

-It has 4400 stores worldwide, 3600 in the US.
-"It has surpassed GM as the world's largest employer, with 1.3 million workers -- one out of every 120 workers in our country, and 1 of every 20 retail workers."

-"Walmart sucks up nearly 7billion a year in profits, more then any other retailer on the planet- taking twice as much as the next fifteen retailers combined."

-The CEO was paid 11.5 million last year
-"Behind the manufactured cheerfulness is the fact that the average Wal-Mart Employee makes $15K a year for full time work. Most are denied even this poverty income, for they're held to part -time work. While the company brags that 70 percent of its workers are fulltime, it defines fulltime as 28 hours a week, meaning that their employees gross under 11K a year."

-Only 38% of walmart employees have health care, you must be there for 2 years before you become elligible."

There is a shrinking middle class and as we allow corporations more control they are becoming richer and their employee treatment is becoming poorer. I mean, think about the numbers above. That is alot of people making shit money, with no insurance! Walmart is a HUGE corporation. They take out insurance plans redeemable upon an employees death? WTF?

They buy 10 billion dollars worth of Chinese made stuff each year. And the small businesses are being completely drown out.. they cant afford to compete. Even if they could, Walmart would just engage in predatory pricing and lose a little money to make alot more.

Sometimes, I think people would almost be happy with the minimum wage if they only had some type of pleasant work environment or benefits.. but companies, more and more are just pulling complete shennanigans.

I wont even tell you what they paid in taxes last year to our government. I cannot even speak it, or I go into a rage.

--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Remind Me! Notify Moderator Top
Offlinemonoamine
umask 077(nonefor you)

Loc: Jacksonville,FL
Re: A couple of questions on the minimum wage [Re: mntlfngrs]
    #2018109 - 10/17/03 04:01 PM (18 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

I did and I'm not saying to get rid of it. Just minimize it. Please answer my question. As someone who earns more than minimum, my wage is effectivly lowered when businesses raise prices of products and services to cover the cost of higher min. wages. Business is not going to absorb that cost, they pass it on to me.

That's a good arguement for corporate reform.

It's simple: greedy people fuck shit up for everyone else.

--------------------
People think that if you just say the word "hallucinations" it explains everything you want it to explain and eventually whatever it is you can't explain will just go away.It's just a word,it doesn't explain anything...
Douglas Adams

InvisibleXlea321
Stranger
Re: A couple of questions on the minimum wage [Re: PsiloKitten]
    #2018139 - 10/17/03 04:12 PM (18 years, 3 months ago)

The CEO was paid 11.5 million last year

Makes you wonder how these bastards live with themselves. Sadly I doubt they see it like that. No doubt they'll think they work "really hard" for their 11.5 million  :rolleyes:

--------------------
Don't worry, B. Caapi

OfflineDoctorJ
"Nazi, Satanist Anti-Christ"
Male

Loc: space
Re: A couple of questions on the minimum wage [Re: Xlea321]
    #2018885 - 10/17/03 09:26 PM (18 years, 3 months ago)

/DoctorJ puts on his pinksharkmark hat:

"How can that ceo's salary prevent lower employees from achieving the same salary?  He's just drawing it from the same payroll fund used to pay all the other employees..."  :crazy: :rolleyes:

--------------------
'You can go to a hospital
Get yourself cleaned out.'

OfflinePhred
Fred's son
Male

Loc: Dominican Republic
Re: A couple of questions on the minimum wage [Re: DoctorJ]
    #2019135 - 10/17/03 11:12 PM (18 years, 3 months ago)

Actually, technically speaking he's not drawing it from the same payroll fund, but that's just an accounting technicality.

Of course, there's nothing stopping any of the other WalMart employees (or even you, for that matter) from offering to accept the position of CEO for less than 11.5 million a year. Since the owners of WalMart are obviously greedy money-grubbing capitalists who care for nothing other than the number of dollars they put into their own pockets, they would leap at the chance to put another ten million a year into those pockets, right?

Then you could take 1.3 of your 1.5 million and pass it out equally as Christmas bonuses to each and every WalMart employee. I'm sure they'd be delighted to get that extra dollar during the holiday season. That would still leave you with 200K a year -- enough to upgrade from a Neon.

Give it a shot.

pinky

--------------------

OfflineDoctorJ
"Nazi, Satanist Anti-Christ"
Male

Loc: space
Re: A couple of questions on the minimum wage [Re: Phred]
    #2019469 - 10/18/03 01:36 AM (18 years, 3 months ago)

you know, its funny, because I'm privvy to the inner workings of more than a few large businesses and I've always had ideas on how they could be run better.

but I have no experience and I'm just not the type of person that gets those jobs.

--------------------
'You can go to a hospital
Get yourself cleaned out.'

InvisiblePsiloKitten
Ganja Goddess

Re: A couple of questions on the minimum wage [Re: Xlea321]
    #2019539 - 10/18/03 02:01 AM (18 years, 3 months ago)

Company Is Foreign at Tax Time, but Seeks Americans-Only Work

A big oil-well drilling company that has used one law to escape American taxes by taking addresses in Bermuda and Barbados is now trying to use another law to qualify for business open only to American companies.

Competitors are crying foul, saying they cannot survive if the Bermuda-Barbados company, Nabors Industries, is allowed to vie for contracts while paying little or nothing in taxes.

The competitors, most of them family-owned businesses, say that unless Congress acts to level the playing field they will lose so much business to Nabors that they will go broke within a decade or be forced themselves to try to become Bermuda companies so they can also escape taxes.

... snip

Small business? What's that?

--------------------

InvisibleEvolving
Resident Cynic

Loc: Apt #6, The Village
    #2022064 - 10/19/03 06:07 AM (18 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

PsiloKitten said:
Yer obviously just being sarcastic and attempting to instigate an arguement with liberals.

Troll on.

Being sarcastic? 'Troll on'? Come on, I am just trying to prompt you TO THINK. Tell me why this wouldn't work (hint: some have touched on it already) and you will have shown a greater understanding of basic economics than most of the fantasy political persuasion. Maybe, if you are smart you might reevaluate your own position on the matter.

--------------------
To call humans 'rational beings' does injustice to the term, 'rational.'  Humans are capable of rational thought, but it is not their essence.  Humans are animals, beasts with complex brains.  Humans, more often than not, utilize their cerebrum to rationalize what their primal instincts, their preconceived notions, and their emotional desires have presented as goals - humans are rationalizing beings.

InvisiblePsiloKitten
Ganja Goddess

Re: A couple of questions on the minimum wage [Re: Evolving]
    #2022818 - 10/19/03 04:16 PM (18 years, 3 months ago)

It is a loaded question.

There is no point.

--------------------

InvisibleEvolving
Resident Cynic

Loc: Apt #6, The Village
    #2029259 - 10/21/03 05:40 PM (18 years, 3 months ago)

A loaded question? Of course it's a loaded question. Economics is not always as one dimensional many would like it to be. So come on, exercise your brain and tell us why it wouldn't work. I'll break it down to several questions to make it easier for you...

1) Assuming that legislating a higher wage of say... $12.00 per hour is good, isn't legislating an even higher wage of $350.00 per hour good as well? (yes or no)

2) If legislating a minimum wage of $350.00 per hour is bad, why is it bad? (Oh Lucy, you got some splainen to do)

3) What are some of the normally ignored and unstated consequences of raising the minimum wage? (Take your time to formulate an answer. It is after all, a "loaded question," but you really should have come up with at least one in the answer to the previous question)

--------------------
To call humans 'rational beings' does injustice to the term, 'rational.'  Humans are capable of rational thought, but it is not their essence.  Humans are animals, beasts with complex brains.  Humans, more often than not, utilize their cerebrum to rationalize what their primal instincts, their preconceived notions, and their emotional desires have presented as goals - humans are rationalizing beings.

Jump to top Pages: < Back | 1 | 2  [ show all ]

Shop: Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals, CBD Edibles   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale