Home | Community | Message Board


This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.


Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Sporeworks.EU Spores for European Microscopy   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
My Ghetto Bulk Dehydrator
    #18237934 -

So I bought a nesco food dehydrator, When i first started the hobby

and it was wonderful, until i harvested more than one tub at a time.
So i bought extra trays, yay problem solved... Till i harvested 3 tubs :failboat:

I said screw it and bought another

Yay problem solved. Well until i harvested 5 tubs and had others on successive flushes.. what to do what to do...

I know... Ill make a prototype and see how it performs.

I think ill take this old SGFC


And ill mark holes in the lid




Then ill cut them out with my soldering gun..




Then ill pop my dehydrator elements in the top...


And put my shroomies inside...


In conclusion it took 3 hours to dry instead of 6-8..
Im going to get a 105qt tub this week and some chicken wire or the like, and dowel it in place ill update on the results of the larger tub when i do it.


--------------------
Trades
Current Contest!
My current mono (pics)
Ghetto Bulk Dehydrator Tek
How I Made My Alcohol Lamp

Oeric McKenna said:
"My innoculant is heavily contaminated with mushroom mycelium"


Edited by MoGrow (05/09/13 01:13 PM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: My Ghetto Bulk Dehydrator [Re: MoGrow]
    #18238027 -

Not bad for a DIY project.
I cant wait to see the next version.


--------------------
How it should & shouldn't look - NEW CULTIVATORS GUIDE

:imo:Lets get rid of the SWIM shit, This also goes for my dog, someones pet ferret, and any other way of saying you are not really you.
Its bullshit and we all know it. Man up and admit you are the SWIM.:2cents:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: My Ghetto Bulk Dehydrator [Re: shroom-a-zoom] * 1
    #18238061 -

LOL, I have 2 of those, with 2 extra trays each....lol.

Can dry 3/4 of a pound in about 16-18 hours.

I like this tho. I might have to experiment now, dammit.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: My Ghetto Bulk Dehydrator [Re: PussyFart]
    #18238144 -

Pretty cool.
It'd be better if the heating elements were on the bottom, though.


--------------------
AMU: We Quickly Answer Questions Here
"One must accept the probability of failure to experience the elation of success." - TranscendingLife
“A man of genius makes no mistakes; his errors are volitional and are the portals of discovery.” - James Joyce
:sporedrop::sporedrop::mushroomgrow::sporedrop::sporedrop::wow:How I Do EVERYTHING:wow::sporedrop::sporedrop::mushroomgrow::sporedrop::sporedrop:
"Your vision will become clear only when you can look into your own heart…. Who looks outside, dreams; who looks inside, awakes."- Carl Jung
"Anything that can be done chemically can be done by other means."- William S. Burroughs
"You are as dead now as you will ever be" - Seth

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: My Ghetto Bulk Dehydrator [Re: TranscendingLife]
    #18238155 -

TranscendingLife said:
Pretty cool.
It'd be better if the heating elements were on the bottom, though.



i have another SGFC just like that one im going to cut holes in the sides and try that but its already cut a couple hours of dry time off.. Im thinking them being on the sides will be better for a big one.

Or maybe ill attach some 8" PVC legs to the corners and put them in the bottom.


--------------------
Trades
Current Contest!
My current mono (pics)
Ghetto Bulk Dehydrator Tek
How I Made My Alcohol Lamp

Oeric McKenna said:
"My innoculant is heavily contaminated with mushroom mycelium"


Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: My Ghetto Bulk Dehydrator [Re: PussyFart]
    #18238165 -

Notahacker420 said:
LOL, I have 2 of those, with 2 extra trays each....lol.

Can dry 3/4 of a pound in about 16-18 hours.

I like this tho. I might have to experiment now, dammit.



Lol yea i get bored and start tinkering w/ ideas. Especially when i have shit laying around i dont use anymore.


--------------------
Trades
Current Contest!
My current mono (pics)
Ghetto Bulk Dehydrator Tek
How I Made My Alcohol Lamp

Oeric McKenna said:
"My innoculant is heavily contaminated with mushroom mycelium"


Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: My Ghetto Bulk Dehydrator [Re: MoGrow]
    #18238174 -

I'm not super familiar with those dehydrators.
But do they have fans in them too?
If not, I'd put the heating elements on the bottom of the tote & a CPU fan between the two.


--------------------
AMU: We Quickly Answer Questions Here
"One must accept the probability of failure to experience the elation of success." - TranscendingLife
“A man of genius makes no mistakes; his errors are volitional and are the portals of discovery.” - James Joyce
:sporedrop::sporedrop::mushroomgrow::sporedrop::sporedrop::wow:How I Do EVERYTHING:wow::sporedrop::sporedrop::mushroomgrow::sporedrop::sporedrop:
"Your vision will become clear only when you can look into your own heart…. Who looks outside, dreams; who looks inside, awakes."- Carl Jung
"Anything that can be done chemically can be done by other means."- William S. Burroughs
"You are as dead now as you will ever be" - Seth

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: My Ghetto Bulk Dehydrator [Re: TranscendingLife]
    #18238260 -

Yes, there are fans in them.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: My Ghetto Bulk Dehydrator [Re: PussyFart]
    #18238572 -

:borat: niiice

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: My Ghetto Bulk Dehydrator [Re: Roman08640]
    #18239034 -

I don't quite get how it could dry faster. I thought the whole point of the tray system is to direct the airflow to run over what you are drying. With what you have with the SGFC the dehydrators just fill the chamber with hot air and alot of that air will escape out of those holes before going near a fruit. But, if it works, fuck it. Nice job. Keep us posted on the bigger version.


--------------------
Trade List

How I make 15 lbs of casing in a 941. How I line 12 shoeboxes with 1 39gal bag. How I Deep Fry Cubes!
RogerRabbit said:You need a bigger pressure cooker for this hobby. RR

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: My Ghetto Bulk Dehydrator [Re: Juiceh]
    #18239068 -

Dammit. SGFC dehydrator fucking brilliant. I'll never worry about drying 30 pounds of mushrooms simultaneously again.


--------------------
:mushroom2:-Reishi Grow-:mushroom2:
:mushroom2:-Grey Oyster Grow-:mushroom2:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: My Ghetto Bulk Dehydrator [Re: Juiceh]
    #18239268 -

Juiceh said:
I don't quite get how it could dry faster. I thought the whole point of the tray system is to direct the airflow to run over what you are drying. With what you have with the SGFC the dehydrators just fill the chamber with hot air and alot of that air will escape out of those holes before going near a fruit. But, if it works, fuck it. Nice job. Keep us posted on the bigger version.



I call this thought, and raise it one "the air is not cycled either"
I bet it takes more energy for the same effect too.


--------------------
Intentionally or not, here in mushcult we are purveyors of love culture and enlightenment movement. Let's try to act like it!

PODS TEK - Growing Invitro with BRF/verm or Grass Seed containers
The simplest, quickest, safest tek!  For beginners, culturers, lazy people, stealth lovers, contam haters, and alternative seekers!
• Violet's Teks and Posts •

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: My Ghetto Bulk Dehydrator [Re: Violet]
    #18239332 -

I think doing this with a solid tote and putting computer fans or a big fan on the bottom to draw air out would make it work MUCH better.


--------------------
Information for everyone: http://www.mushroomvideos.com
Are your grains or spawn clean? CLICK THIS CHECKLIST

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: My Ghetto Bulk Dehydrator [Re: zMan]
    #18239706 -

My Nesco American Harvest FD-61 works by pulling air in through a central fan from inside the dehydrator, and then blowing out the heated air around the edge. There's a few small slits at the bottom, I'm guessing for fresh air intake or moist air exhaust. Since they line up with the edge, I believe it's moist air exhaust. Some of the warm air is exhausted, but it seems some just gets pulled right back up the middle and recirculated.

Point is, i don't think your set up actually would require the SGFC holes or a computer fan. I also don't think it would work any better or worse to put the motors on top or bottom or sides. The bottom may be worse because of debris falling in.

I think having them on the same side with a small exhaust port on the opposite side would work well. Try wrapping a piece of suran wrap around the 4 sides and see if you notice any difference.

Good job man. :thumbup:


--------------------
The Basics
A little civility goes a long way

The Noob Forum
The Hammock Hangers' Forum

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Sporeworks.EU Spores for European Microscopy   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies


Similar ThreadsPosterViewsRepliesLast post
* Ronco Food Dehydrator (heating element) TRIPPYCHIK 5,576 16 12/12/02 04:57 PM
by TRIPPYCHIK
* Organic Potting Mix for Bulk Substrate? Torey 9,996 4 07/15/18 10:14 AM
by TedsDead
* Bulk dehydration advice from the users - Needing help! lalala 847 2 11/07/03 04:01 PM
by shirley knott
* Dehydrator Project Cornelius 6,831 14 09/27/04 12:08 PM
by hyphae
* food dehydrator
( 1 2 all )
I_Stain_Blue 8,522 31 08/22/02 02:00 PM
by marathonman
* Need Nesco (and general) Food Dehydrator Advice sudont 2,038 6 02/07/06 10:41 PM
by sudont
* Thanks to everyone, and a question about food dehydrators. nemmy 960 6 03/13/06 12:12 AM
by nemmy
* Food Dehydrator AzulAgave 913 2 01/04/02 05:54 AM
by felix

Extra information
You cannot start new topics / You cannot reply to topics
HTML is disabled / BBCode is enabled
Moderator: Shroomism, george castanza, RogerRabbit, veggie, mushboy, fahtster, the_chosen_one, LogicaL Chaos, 13shrooms, hamloaf, cronicr, Stipe-n Cap, Pastywhyte, bodhisatta, Tormato, Land Trout, A.k.a
1,800 topic views. 11 members, 243 guests and 230 web crawlers are browsing this forum.
[ Show Images Only | Sort by Score | Print Topic ]
Search this thread:

Copyright 1997-2026 Mind Media. Some rights reserved.

Generated in 0.027 seconds spending 0.008 seconds on 16 queries.