Home | Community | Message Board

MagicBag Grow Bags
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: < Back | 1 | 2  [ show all ]
OfflinePacmanpth
Stranger

Re: Sticking to any view or framework of ideas guarantees error [Re: blingbling]
    #15921288 - 03/08/12 06:43 PM (12 years, 23 days ago)

Quote:

blingbling said:
i largely agree with what your saying but science is bound up with neo-liberal capatalism which imo has already and is going to cause serious problems

Applied Science is generally commercialized, yes, but much of the research end is still kept within the realm of academics.  Capitalism has its problems that bleeds over into Science, sure, but I see that as a separate issue that hopefully a more open-source, interconnected, freer economy will address in time. 

Quote:

particularly with regards to biomedical science and the incorperation of machines into flesh.

Why do you see the integration of information technologies with biology as something necessarily problematic?  Don't get me wrong, it has huge potential risks, but it also has huge potential positives, just depends how it's used.  Ultimately it's up to us as a society to use technology responsibly, same as it has been since the invention of the wheel.  We've had our moments on both sides of the fence, but it seems as though the overall trend is moving towards improving the lives of the global population.

Edited by Pacmanpth (03/08/12 06:43 PM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlineblingbling
what you chicken stew?

Re: Sticking to any view or framework of ideas guarantees error [Re: Pacmanpth]
    #15922866 - 03/09/12 01:37 AM (12 years, 23 days ago)

Capitalism has its problems that bleeds over into Science, sure, but I see that as a separate issue that hopefully a more open-source, interconnected, freer economy will address in time.

and where is this free economy going to come from? money is the bottom line and without a complete scrapping of the capitalist system (which will probably not happen voluntarily) it's going to stay that way. it is most definitely not a separate issue. even the shortest glance at the history of warfare will show you that technological innovation is deeply bound up with power figures and systems of control.

Applied Science is generally commercialized, yes, but much of the research end is still kept within the realm of academics.

the big money is military money. most major innovations are made with military money and they control these new technologies and chose what is done with them.

Ultimately it's up to us as a society to use technology responsibly

this rarely happens even with something as benign as a cell phone. imagine if that cell phone was implanted in your brain and capable of changing your mental states.

Why do you see the integration of information technologies with biology as something necessarily problematic?

because in a society where money is the bottom line slavery is a logical option.

--------------------
Kupo said:
let's fuel the robots with psilocybin.

cez said:
everyone should smoke dmt for religion.

dustinthewind13 said:
euthanasia and prostitution should be legal and located in the same building.

White Beard said:
if you see the buddha on the road, rape him, then kill him. then rape him again.

Edited by blingbling (03/09/12 01:41 AM)

OfflinePacmanpth
Stranger

Re: Sticking to any view or framework of ideas guarantees error [Re: blingbling]
    #15923763 - 03/09/12 09:48 AM (12 years, 22 days ago)

Quote:

blingbling said:
Capitalism has its problems that bleeds over into Science, sure, but I see that as a separate issue that hopefully a more open-source, interconnected, freer economy will address in time.

and where is this free economy going to come from? money is the bottom line and without a complete scrapping of the capitalist system (which will probably not happen voluntarily) it's going to stay that way. it is most definitely not a separate issue. even the shortest glance at the history of warfare will show you that technological innovation is deeply bound up with power figures and systems of control.

Consider why warfare happens at all though.  How often is warfare a runaway result from conflict due to scarcity of resources?  Power figures and systems of control seem to only arise when there is anxiety over survival.  This is the issue I see technology addressing that may change how everyone thinks.  Currency will still exist, but due to vastly escalating productivity levels thanks to technological advances, a dollar will buy you far more in the future than it does now (the trend over the past few decades makes most people believe this isn't the case, but in the long run, that's what's happening).

Quote:

Applied Science is generally commercialized, yes, but much of the research end is still kept within the realm of academics.

the big money is military money. most major innovations are made with military money and they control these new technologies and chose what is done with them.

This is true now, and perhaps my hope above is misplaced.  I do see significant issues in the short run due to this, but the long run seems to have promise of a society without much violence due to everyone's basic needs being essentially guaranteed, along with education.  Ultimately, even the military and government can't control what is done with technology.  At first, just as with drug companies with a patent, they'll have exclusive rights to the technology, but in a short period of time, the idea is replicated at the consumer level.  This has been true with essentially all significant military technology that people had any desire for.

Quote:

Ultimately it's up to us as a society to use technology responsibly

this rarely happens even with something as benign as a cell phone. imagine if that cell phone was implanted in your brain and capable of changing your mental states.

That's not really that drastic of a vision, the changes I'm expecting are more along the lines of Ghost in a Shell.  How would being in control of your mental state without having to use drugs, meditation, etc. be a necessarily bad thing?  Do you have any idea how many Alzheimer's patients, Schizophrenics, migraine sufferers (myself included), and people with various other mental illnesses there are whose lives such technology would completely transform?  It's less about the fact that technology like this will be used for ill (we live on a planet of 7 billion, it's bound to happen), and moreso about the balance between the benevolent effects of a technology weighed against the malevolent potentials.

Quote:

Why do you see the integration of information technologies with biology as something necessarily problematic?

because in a society where money is the bottom line slavery is a logical option.

Could you elaborate on how this makes information tech merging with biology problematic?  Money is just a currency, an idea, a metric, the quantity and quality of what you get for your spent time (aka money) is moreso what differentiates between slavery and wealth.  In the age of today, a huge chunk of peoples' paychecks are going towards destructive energy, severely weakening buying power in a negative feedback loop.  Cheap, clean, abundant energy is a reality, we just have to apply what we know more intelligently.  Solar/Wind technology is improving significantly ever year, and the current cost per watt is roughly that of fossil fuels.  Keep in mind, 20 years ago solar/wind was vastly more expensive per watt.  Soon, it will be a no brainer to use clean energy, simply because it will be so much cheaper than combustive fuels, especially with the current leaps in battery technology that will alleviate the issue of intermittent energy supply with solar.  Energy costs are woven into everything we do, and represent a larger portion of most people's budget than they likely realize.  Alleviating that cost alone will improve the quality of life for everyone on the planet, and is something with so much money invested in it at this point that it's growth can't be stopped, regardless of how much money oil companies have to throw at protecting their profits.  Furthermore, once it starts becoming cheaper, that's a huge influx of income for more research and development to the industry, which will only increase the rate at which solar/wind power costs drop.  It sometimes seems like slavery right now, but such times are when great changes occur, as there is a huge incentive for new technologies to be developed when energy prices are at what they are today.

Back to the topic of slavery, if you mean humanity having android slaves and the like, I agree with you.  HUGE ethics issue there, and one that could lead to an uprising.  These issues are things that are regularly talked about amongst those designing new AI's though, and has been expressed through media in various forms in the past half century (Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep, The Matrix, Portal, 2001: A Space Odyssey, amongst many others).  I can't imagine that irresponsible use of technology on the potential verge of sentience is something that would happen without significant public and political debate/involvement.

Technology has its downsides, but do you seriously think the entire planet changing to a Luddite mentality and rewinding back to an Amish type civilization would improve the population's overall quality of life?

Keep an eye out for energy news advancements on websites such as:

www.sciencedaily.com
www.physorg.com

There are major advances occuring on an almost daily basis, it's really quite impressive to see it taking off.  I would be pretty hopeless about it if I hadn't been reading Science journals daily for the past couple of years, but luckily I'm a huge nerd.

Edited by Pacmanpth (03/09/12 09:49 AM)

InvisibleSleepwalker
Overshoes

#15924835 - 03/09/12 02:12 PM (12 years, 22 days ago)

Improved technology and a more balanced global system would not remove anxiety over survival.  We are never going to be immortal.  War is here to stay, I think.

OfflinePacmanpth
Stranger

Re: Sticking to any view or framework of ideas guarantees error [Re: Sleepwalker]
    #15924999 - 03/09/12 02:47 PM (12 years, 22 days ago)

Quote:

Sleepwalker said:
Improved technology and a more balanced global system would not remove anxiety over survival.  We are never going to be immortal.  War is here to stay, I think.

Have you heard TED talks by Aubrey de Grey?  Death is simply cumulative pathology, which we are getting better at curing and preventing every day.  Extremely long life spans aren't far off.  Also, Google 'Wake Forest Regenerative Medicine' and check out the research they are doing.

Edited by Pacmanpth (03/09/12 09:26 PM)

InvisibleWhite Beard

#15925028 - 03/09/12 02:55 PM (12 years, 22 days ago)

You still can't stop accidents. Car crashes are just one example. Then the anxiety would be worse because the stakes are higher for doing risky things.

InvisibleSleepwalker
Overshoes

#15925043 - 03/09/12 02:58 PM (12 years, 22 days ago)

Do you think if we came up with the technology for immortality, it would be given freely to everyone?  We would have an overpopulation disaster.

So, the elite would live indefinitely while the masses continued to die off.  The worst class warfare in history.  Imagine the violence.

OfflinePacmanpth
Stranger

Re: Sticking to any view or framework of ideas guarantees error [Re: Sleepwalker]
    #15925064 - 03/09/12 03:03 PM (12 years, 22 days ago)

That's why we need to GTFO this planet, we already are overpopulated, life extension would just exacerbate that problem.  I don't see this planet sustaining 7 billion for very long, regardless of how responsible we are with resources, not to mention the demands of say 10 billion.

The truthful irony of your statement is how much death is a cause of anxiety in the first place. How many die early due to stress generated illnesses or illnesses that were escalated to being fatal due to stress?  Anxiety is destroying our civilization bit by bit.  It wastes resources, kills, cultivates unhealthy coping mechanisms...yet can so easily be solved. 

Edited by Pacmanpth (03/09/12 03:47 PM)

Offlineblingbling
what you chicken stew?

#15926043 - 03/09/12 06:47 PM (12 years, 22 days ago)

yet can so easily be solved.

:rofl:

i agree with much of what your saying regarding technology. i think the only real difference between our views is the degree of happiness they will bring. what bugs me about your view is that you seem to think we are going to hit a technological zero point and all of a sudden problems that have been haunting humanity since its inception will disappear. i'm not so optimistic.

--------------------
Kupo said:
let's fuel the robots with psilocybin.

cez said:
everyone should smoke dmt for religion.

dustinthewind13 said:
euthanasia and prostitution should be legal and located in the same building.

White Beard said:
if you see the buddha on the road, rape him, then kill him. then rape him again.

OfflinePacmanpth
Stranger

#15926781 - 03/09/12 09:25 PM (12 years, 22 days ago)

Quote:

blingbling said:
yet can so easily be solved.

:rofl:

This was directly strictly at anxiety, not all the more practical issues.  After suffering from panic attacks and migraines and eventually discovering how easy the solutions were to those problems, it's something that anyone can do provided they can cultivate a small level of mental and physical discipline.  I suppose this is a biased perspective, and perhaps it's not as easy for some people, but I've talked to a number of people with similar problems and the solutions seem to be as simple for them as well.

Quote:

i agree with much of what your saying regarding technology. i think the only real difference between our views is the degree of happiness they will bring. what bugs me about your view is that you seem to think we are going to hit a technological zero point and all of a sudden problems that have been haunting humanity since its inception will disappear. i'm not so optimistic.

I don't think this at all, I think we have a long road ahead of us with many hardships.  Happiness comes easily with good health, and it doesn't really take huge amounts of resources to make someone healthy.  With each major problem we solve, another is going to pop up in its place as more advanced technology is able to track more metrics about various aspects of life and the planet.  Considering where we are at now, and how far we have to go before we even bring balance to the planet and society, this definitely is going to get rough.  I'm very optimistic that if we make it past these issues, that the average persons quality of life is going to be vastly improved, but no, I don't think it will be an easy process, despite all of the amazing advances.

Who knows though, I could be completely wrong, rapidly advancing technology could end up aiding us in wiping out all life on the planet.  If the issue of health is addressed soon, I'd wager that the shift in thoughts and ambitions of people would change enough to prevent the major potential negatives from occurring.  A profound discovery like that of life on exoplanets may also be something that could create such a shift as well, and is something that the telescopes going up in the next 5-10 years may reveal to us.

Edited by Pacmanpth (03/09/12 09:33 PM)

Jump to top Pages: < Back | 1 | 2  [ show all ]

Shop: MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale