Home | Community | Message Board

Shroom Supply
Please support our sponsors.

General Interest >> Philosophy, Sociology & Psychology

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Invisiblekaiowas
mndfrayze'speppet urme
 User Gallery

Loc: oz
plato's world of ideas
    #2103555 - 11/13/03 11:09 PM (13 years, 7 months ago)

now this was interesting to me, as i am still having trouble exactly grasping everything plato was talking about.  I'm not here to refute or deny anything, just discuss, plus you could give me your point of view/understanding on it.  besides I rarely see here anyone discuss plato and this is part philosphy after all. this shit is confusing :smile:

taking a wuote since I can't put it any better

"The theory of Ideas is the belief in eternal, unchanging, universal absolutes, which exist independently of the human mind and of the world of physical phenomena."

he called these ideas forms and their three characteristic were semi-mentioned above:

eternal-they always have and always will exist

unchanging-the actual definition will never change unlike things that do change in the physical world

universal-they are present in all parts, ie prevailing

so how are the ideas non-existent from the human mind?  well he says that since we are in the physical world, and in the physical world things change, but as far as language goes, it seems to be fundamentally made up of these "universals"  in other words, language is present everywhere.

For instance, these words I am typing right now, you can understand because you have made an agreement inside your own mind about what these words mean. these concepts is what plato called universals. so plaots says that these ideas must come from soemwhere.  is he talking about a source???  hmmm...moving on

so to plato there are a couple of worlds, our reality and this world of ideas.  our reality is made up of non-universals, while the world of ideas is.

there are here in our world many different types of horses, but in platos world of ideas there is only one IDEA of that horse. so I guess my main question is, how did plato says these ideas are in another place outside our world.  is he saying our mind is the coonection between these two worlds??

I'll write a little more later, but its a start at least..any comments?? 

--------------------
Annnnnnd I had a light saber and my friend was there and I said "you look like an indian" and he said "you look like satan" and he found a stick and a rock and he named the rock ooga booga and he named the stick Stick and we both thought that was pretty funny. We got eaten alive by mosquitos but didn't notice til the next day. I stepped on some glass while wading in the swamp and cut my foot open, didn't bother me til the next day either....yeah it was a good time, ended the night by buying some liquor for minors and drinking nips and going to he diner and eating chicken fingers, and then I went home and went to bed.---senior doobie

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Offlinejiva
dream serpent

Loc: everywhere all the time
Re: plato's world of ideas [Re: kaiowas]
    #2103631 - 11/13/03 11:26 PM (13 years, 7 months ago)

I see plato's "world of ideas" like Jung sees architypes.

And what John Lilly calls "the Software"

(I can elaborate if needed)

love

--------------------
i am another you

InvisibleSwami
Eggshell Walker

Loc: In the hen house
Re: plato's world of ideas [Re: jiva]
    #2103656 - 11/13/03 11:29 PM (13 years, 7 months ago)

i am another you

You have a Lamborghini Diablo as well?

--------------------

The proof is in the pudding.

Invisiblekaiowas
mndfrayze'speppet urme
 User Gallery

Loc: oz
Re: plato's world of ideas [Re: Swami]
    #2103659 - 11/13/03 11:30 PM (13 years, 7 months ago)

no no, I could go to links all I want, I jsut want to create discussion :laugh:

you know test the imput of people here and myself

--------------------
Annnnnnd I had a light saber and my friend was there and I said "you look like an indian" and he said "you look like satan" and he found a stick and a rock and he named the rock ooga booga and he named the stick Stick and we both thought that was pretty funny. We got eaten alive by mosquitos but didn't notice til the next day. I stepped on some glass while wading in the swamp and cut my foot open, didn't bother me til the next day either....yeah it was a good time, ended the night by buying some liquor for minors and drinking nips and going to he diner and eating chicken fingers, and then I went home and went to bed.---senior doobie

Offlinemanna_man
High onlife.....andcrack

Loc: Vancouver
Re: plato's world of ideas [Re: kaiowas]
    #2104343 - 11/14/03 02:21 AM (13 years, 7 months ago)

Plato proposed the idea of this timeless realm from which we learn from, and whenever we learn something new, we are simply pulling information out of this realm and translating it to something comprehendable. When he speaks of "universals", he is speaking of generality, as opposed to specifics. For example, a book is considered a specific, whearas "bookness" :smirk: is a universal.
I don't think it's even possible to fully comprehend universals.

--------------------
This post is protected under copyrite law.All above content is strictly the property of ?manna_man.Any infringement of copyright property is strictly prohibited.Any violators will be stretched, shot, and then vaporized into a state of anti-matter, where they will cease to exist.

Jump to top. Pages: 1

General Interest >> Philosophy, Sociology & Psychology