Home | Community | Message Board

MagicBag Grow Bags
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: OlympusMyco.com Sterilized Grain Bag   Mushroom-Hut Grow Bags   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Capsules

Jump to first unread post Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | Next >  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Invisiblenoobieshroomie
Back again
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Not Too Sure Flag
Re: The things people do for their grow that are a waste of time/money [Re: 13shrooms]
    #11683811 - 12/19/09 11:00 PM (14 years, 3 months ago)

pretty much

there are a few intelligent answers in here
but not many

-noobie-

--------------------
AMU

Best Thread Ever
CapZilla said:
not sure what GE and FAE are but i should probably get some.

Citric said:
Your signature is wrong on colonization temps!

GOOD JUDGMENT COMES FROM EXPERIENCE
EXPERIENCE COMES FROM BAD JUDGMENT

ROOM TEMP 70-75 IS BEST FOR COLONIZATION
Thank you mycochef

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinebeatnicknick
The Innovator
Male User Gallery

Re: The things people do for their grow that are a waste of time/money [Re: noobieshroomie]
    #11683946 - 12/19/09 11:42 PM (14 years, 3 months ago)

When in doubt, listen to double R

--------------------
I don't think for myself. I think as though I'm explaining my thoughts to someone else. I'm concerned only for those listening.

Invisibleartizen
JEFFERSONIAN
Male

Loc: HOME SWEET HOME
Re: The things people do for their grow that are a waste of time/money [Re: RogerRabbit]
    #11685098 - 12/20/09 09:08 AM (14 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

RogerRabbit said:
Quote:

tugwax said:
Here's the beginnings of list of things that I've read in the forum that aren't really necessary or involves excessive expense. Please add your own!

Trying to find lights with just the right color temperature.

Agreed, provided that a 50% or better increase in harvest weight for the next five or six years isn't worth a couple of quid/$3 for the correct spectrum lamp.  For most of us, the payoff on buying a natural daylight fluorescent or LED lamp comes on the very first harvest.

Quote:

tugwax said:
Automatic moisture delivery or FAE for a small grow. I myself fell into this OTT solution for just 9 cakes. Even though it was successful I soon reverted to manual methods with greater yield. Now the timers, air pump and fogger are gathering dust, £70 wasted.

Agreed. Been saying it for years regarding terrariums.  Save the humidifiers and timers for a mini-greenhouse.

Quote:

tugwax said:
  • Trying to find hardwood chips when any old mixed stuff will do.

• Not so.  While softwoods will colonize faster because they're less dense, fruiting performance is substantially reduced.  Mixed woods are OK if the majority of material comes from hardwood sources, with just a few conifers tossed in.  If you want to use Pine, chip it up and let it sit in the sun for a year before use.  However, it will still underperform hardwood.
    RR

even this was putting it lightly. i thought he was gonna :shitstorm: on this one, for sure.

if you need to save money this bad just don't bother getting into mycology.  :flipthebird: wtf experimentation is part of the life energy of this place and this hobby.
    if your a begginer, do a couple of brf cakes in a milk jug. if you get hooked on the hobby, you'll find the money to do things properly.    :bigjoint:
    it's one thing to say "whatever works for YOU" i completely agree with that but, most of the suggestions in this thread are simply lazy, cheapskate, cornercutting and just BAD ADVICE.

if you wanna save money go here
    http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/9107974#9107974
    or ebay
    or craigslist
    or walmart
    but don't just NOT BUY THINGS. in general we don't NEED anything, we could all just sit arround a fucking candle every night.

:rabble:  :rabble:  :rabble:  :rabble:  :rabble:  :rabble:  :rabble:  :rabble:

ok, i'm done. :flowerchild:

bitches

--------------------
    Formula: 0:levitate: Formula: 1                                                                                                     
    HCA               AMU
    IN  LOVING  MEMORY

1.6.1917  -  4.3.2010

Invisibletugwax
    Anomaly
    Male User Gallery

Loc: Little Britain
    Re: The things people do for their grow that are a waste of time/money [Re: artizen]
        #11686264 - 12/20/09 01:10 PM (14 years, 3 months ago)

It would have been nice if more experienced growers had added some things that they view as a waste in order to steer the new growers into making the most of their pocket money and away from worn shoe leather.

The topic has been lost in the noise of nit-picking, wallet ego and controversy.

Will a Moderator please lock it?

--------------------
    Freedom is as great as one's tolerance for ambiguity.
    --------------------

Invisibleartizen
    JEFFERSONIAN
    Male

Loc: HOME SWEET HOME
    Re: The things people do for their grow that are a waste of time/money [Re: tugwax]
        #11686568 - 12/20/09 02:00 PM (14 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

tugwax said:
    It would have been nice if more experienced growers had added some things that they view as a waste in order to steer the new growers into making the most of their pocket money and away from worn shoe leather.

The topic has been lost in the noise of nit-picking, wallet ego and controversy.

Will a Moderator please lock it?

OK

cold shocking
    pre-made spawn/sub
    wick type humidifiers
    any incubator

i think jenshot mentioned the TIT and there were one or 2 other suggestions that made sense but, when nearly every other post is saying not to follow commonly practiced and PROVEN methods like a GB and casing layers and suggesting alternitives like the oven door thing, wtf.

i do agree with one thing

:lockdance:

i'm sorry i even bumped it with my rants but, hopefully this will keep noobs from taking bad advice to save some pocket change.

this is not a personnal attack. i'm sure you had the best intentions.

:flowerchild:

--------------------
    Formula: 0:levitate: Formula: 1                                                                                                     
    HCA               AMU
    IN  LOVING  MEMORY

1.6.1917  -  4.3.2010

Offlinesleepyrz
    Strangerwithcandy
    Re: The things people do for their grow that are a waste of time/money [Re: artizen]
        #11688545 - 12/20/09 07:47 PM (14 years, 3 months ago)

my favorite was the guy who pressure cooks his jars empty

then takes them out and opens them to cool.......................................................

to then fill them to pressure cook them again

really?  seriously? are you that impaired that you don't realize what you are doing is retarded and a complete, and i mean total....waste of time

and these incubators and glove boxes
    an incubator is useful if you live outside in a tent in canada
    and the only thing i can see a glovebox useful for is g2g or maybe making a spore syringe

everything else can be done with an alcohol soaked sponge on the needle
    no gloves
    no cleaning
    no retarded mask and hair net

RTV + alcohol soaked sponge on needle = win

i find it slightly saddening that they don't spend the time to research and find that there are better ways to do things

they read one thing once and think that's all there is

no, its a constant improvement process like everything in life

but i guess there are people out their who are good with status quo and being mediocre

i at least will take the time to attempt improvement

remember without improvement we would all most likely be doing pf jars

--------------------
    :mushroom2: :mushdance:WHEN IT RAINS IT SHROOMS:mushdance: :mushroom2:

InvisibleLucid_Euphoria
    Sojourner

Loc: Flip Side
    Re: The things people do for their grow that are a waste of time/money [Re: sleepyrz]
        #11690427 - 12/21/09 02:48 AM (14 years, 3 months ago)

:lockdance:

--------------------
    PAN CYAN & AZURE FOR TRADE

"If ignorance is bliss, THEN KNOCK THE SMILE OFF MY FACE!" - Zach de la Rocha

"Today a young man on acid realized that all matter is merely energy condensed to a slow vibration, that we are all one consciousness experiencing itself subjectively, there is no such thing as death, life is only a dream, and we are the imagination of ourselves. Here's Tom with the weather!" -Bill Hicks-

OfflineVespertineDweller
    Virgin
     User Gallery

Re: The things people do for their grow that are a waste of time/money [Re: Lucid_Euphoria]
        #11690445 - 12/21/09 03:00 AM (14 years, 3 months ago)

First time through im regretting even doing pf tek. spawning some cheep seed to coir is my next bet.

--------------------
    "By engaging mycelium we can change the world" -Paul Stamets

InvisibleDragonaut

Re: The things people do for their grow that are a waste of time/money [Re: Lucid_Euphoria]
        #11690461 - 12/21/09 03:10 AM (14 years, 3 months ago)

#1 waste of time...using the search engine. Just make a post and expect everyone to come up with answers for you. With any luck, it will work. :wink: :rofl:

--------------------
    :dragon:

OfflineCloneufc
    Master Exploder!
    Male

Loc: Las Vegas Flag
    Re: The things people do for their grow that are a waste of time/money [Re: Dragonaut]
        #11690575 - 12/21/09 04:38 AM (14 years, 3 months ago)

Drum Roll Please! Open air inoculation is the biggest waste of time. I put this together because its so damn funny.

"1 cubic foot of normal household air contains on average:
    100,000 invisible particulates.
    So, every square inch of that air carries:
    One hell of a load of possible contaminate spores. Agar

Best success rate for open air inoculation.
    Is to continuously keep the needle covered.
    With an alc saturated gauze pad, foam, paper towel, or cotton balls.
    Otherwise, you will not BE LUCKY, FOR LONG." Agar

Anyone who recommends open air inoculations can be compared to a drunk who recommends drinking and driving.
    RR

Agar is a very experienced grower. His method you linked keeps the needle covered at all times in an alcohol soaked cloth. That's actually not 'open air'. Leave the needle in open air and see what happens. A glovebox is very easy to make.
    RR

dgls_jms

"id say a glovebox is a waste considering i never use one and rarely if ever get a contamination

I agree, I do all my work on a cookie sheet, door open to a hot oven. Is a little warm but hasent fail me yet."

"so I had a WBS jar that started showing contams a couple days after the myc started growing. I put it on my back porch and forgot about it. Now I'm not going to use but but the battle for life inside that jar has been amazing to watch. The myc pushed the mold to the very top, just a very few grains, and took over the whole jar. Fun to watch!"

"I ordered up 4 syringes from ralph. I also ordered a "sterile liquid culture" in a qt mason jar off of ebay. They ebay dude was taking forever to ship so I went out and bought some baby bottles, did my best to sterilize in the mic, knocked up after they cooled down. 30 hours later, mycelia is covering the bottom, so I swirled to distribute it throughout the culture. After I swirled, they became cloudy and remained that way, never saw the mycelia back at the bottom. This is when I realized I should invest in a pc, so I ordered one up, should arrive today. So while I'm waiting for my pc, my "sterile lc" arrived. It was clear and apeared to be contan free. knocked it up with a cc from a fresh spore syringe. 24 hours later, bottoms covered in mycelia. So last night, I swirled to disrtibute it. This morning the jar is all cloudy, and there is not as much mycelia on the bottom as last night. I am starting to think it is either ralphs syringes, or the "sterile aiport syringe" that this guy sent me. I figured when he said sterile it would still be in the autoclave bag, but it was a syringe stuffed with polyfill, no plunger, with the needle already attached, whole think rapped in foil, in a ziplock bag. I used ipa and flamed the needles. Also, It got really could here over the past week, went from 80's to around 70, dropping into the 50's at night. MY thermostat reads 70 inside, but I think it might get lower during the night, as the heater is not turned on yet. I know this would slow myclia growth, but would it speed up bacterial growth? I was thinking about setting the jar on a heating pad thing, but I don't want it to get too hot. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks"

sHrOoMaCiDe

"On one of my recent attempts, i used 6 BRF/Verm jars and cubensis spore syringes. I inoculated in open air(dumb idea) all six jars about 3 weeks ago. The result: 4jars infected with green/black molds, and the other 2 surviving jars did not colonize or change at all. No growth. What happened? I inoculated 1-2 maybe even 3cc's in each jar. Still after 3 weeks, nothings happened. Any insights for me? Seems like failure. Really disappointing ya know?"

I got extremely lucky with innoculating my LC and fungi rye bag in open air. They are both progressing without contamination. However, the bag is progressing at a glacial speed. The LC is almost done colonizing. When its done should I suck up some of that mycelium and inject it into my fungi bag to speed it up? 

I've never had success in growing mushrooms yet, but my 3rd attempt was the closest. I inoculated two quart sized pre-sterilized rye grain jars back in july. The mycelium grew in one of them but not the other. However, it grew about halfway up the jar and then stopped. It went dormant or something. so my question is, can i re-inoculate the jar that didn't grow any mycelium? its really old, but theres no contamination.

VampireSlayer
                    Why i'm done with OPEN AIR INOCULATIONS

"Just wanted to say...i did open air innoc for a year with pretty good success. actually only till the last couple months have I been getting contams...I do not fuck with open air period!! it is just a 50/50 in my oppinion. I put the blame on a vendor here about a contammed syringe but NOW i'm not sure if it was the the vendor to blame or if it was me...the point is if you use any other method (flow air or still air) then you can easssily put the blame on the culture or syringe (talking cubie syringer growers here not graintograin and stuff)
    but grain to grain I WOULD NEVER do in open air
    but NOW i'll never even do open air period...it's too risky period"

NinjaGaiden

"I've had 100% success with using the oven tek. I do everything: Make syringes, inoculate jars, G2G transfers using the oven.

I'm not at all trying to debate if the tek itself is bogus or not, but it does work for some." NinjaGaiden

"more like 100% LUCK

and I will debate it...

the Oven tek is crap!~" Roadkill

jeetered

"i always open air inoculate. I like "glacial" that's great, i've found that with spore to grain before too. LC to grain is much much faster. I don't know anything about adding LC to it to speed it up      though."

"i do pretty much everything open air except agar work."

Re: What in the world!  Contamination Forum  jeetered  03/25/07 06:58 PM

Re: Contamination???  Contamination Forum  jeetered  05/17/07 08:43 PM

Re: Contamination???  Contamination Forum  jeetered  05/18/07 07:51 PM

Re: Bacillus contam in rye  Contamination Forum  jeetered  07/01/07 09:47 AM

black,blue,green,and purple molds in 3 jars, 18 total contam'd (failed g2g )  Contamination Forum  jeetered  11/07/07 08:08 AM

Re: black,blue,green,and purple molds in 3 jars, 18 total contam'd (failed g2g )  Contamination Forum  jeetered  11/07/07 08:34 AM

Re: black,blue,green,and purple molds in 3 jars, 18 total contam'd (failed g2g )  Contamination Forum  jeetered  11/07/07 10:44 AM

Re: black,blue,green,and purple molds in 3 jars, 18 total contam'd (failed g2g )  Contamination Forum  jeetered  11/07/07 10:51 AM

Re: black,blue,green,and purple molds in 3 jars, 18 total contam'd (failed g2g )  Contamination Forum  jeetered  11/08/07 05:37 AM

Re: black,blue,green,and purple molds in 3 jars, 18 total contam'd (failed g2g )  Contamination Forum  jeetered  11/09/07 05:31 AM

Re: black,blue,green,and purple molds in 3 jars, 18 total contam'd (failed g2g )  Contamination Forum  jeetered  11/10/07 07:54 AM

Re: black,blue,green,and purple molds in 3 jars, 18 total contam'd (failed g2g )  Contamination Forum 

figgusfiddus

"Yeah, open air inoculation isn't really that risky. When I get screwed up, it's usually the substrate conditions that do it."

Re: Contamination?  Contamination Forum  figgusfiddus  05/10/07 01:15 PM

Re: Contamination?  Contamination Forum  figgusfiddus  05/14/07 10:39 AM

Re: Daaaaaaaamn! Green Mold...  Contamination Forum  figgusfiddus  06/13/07 06:53 PM

Re: weird growth on cake (pic)  Contamination Forum  figgusfiddus  06/16/07 05:05 PM

Re: weird growth on cake (pic)  Contamination Forum  figgusfiddus  06/16/07 08:28 PM

Re: What kind of infection is this? [pics]  Contamination Forum  figgusfiddus  06/16/07 08:50 PM

Re: What kind of infection is this? [pics]  Contamination Forum  figgusfiddus  06/16/07 08:57 PM

Re: Daaaaaaaamn! Green Mold...  Contamination Forum  figgusfiddus  06/17/07 02:19 PM

Re: weird growth on cake (pic)update  Contamination Forum  figgusfiddus  06/17/07 06:13 PM

Re: wet looking caps  Contamination Forum  figgusfiddus  06/17/07 06:15 PM

Re: weird growth on cake (pic)  Contamination Forum  figgusfiddus  06/18/07 02:49 PM

Re: ...is this Trich?  Contamination Forum  figgusfiddus  07/06/07 01:27 PM

Re: ...is this Trich?  Contamination Forum  figgusfiddus  07/06/07 01:28 PM

Low humidity promoting molds (esp. trichoderma)?  Contamination Forum  figgusfiddus  07/28/07 04:13 PM

Re: Low humidity promoting molds (esp. trichoderma)?  Contamination Forum  figgusfiddus  07/30/07 10:27 PM

Re: If i have a piece of bread with green mold on it...  Contamination Forum  figgusfiddus  01/30/08 03:46 PM

myndreach

"do most people here actually use a glovebox or something? SWIM has never had contams as a result of air...the one they got was because of a bad syringe.

lysol for surfaces, oust for the air, dust mask and rubber gloves."

Re: Worst Contam Pic  Contamination Forum  myndreach  05/27/05 08:55 AM

Re: tiny black spec on mycelium  Contamination Forum  myndreach  06/01/05 04:26 PM

First grow...AFOAF is freaking out...come this far....contam?  Contamination Forum  myndreach  06/10/05 09:27 PM

Re: First grow...AFOAF is freaking out...come this far....contam?  Contamination Forum  myndreach  06/10/05 09:50 PM

Re: black stuff in syringe  Contamination Forum  myndreach  06/11/05 10:48 PM

Re: Possible contam on mushrooms?  Contamination Forum  myndreach  06/12/05 08:22 PM

Re: brown mycellium?  Contamination Forum  myndreach  06/12/05 08:23 PM

Re: spots on white mycelium  Contamination Forum  myndreach  06/13/05 09:00 AM

Contam or Myc Piss?  Contamination Forum  myndreach  06/13/05 11:06 AM

Re: Contam or Myc Piss?  Contamination Forum  myndreach  06/14/05 07:27 AM

Contams in jar? Brown/Orange/Wet spot mold? Need help quick please.  Contamination Forum  myndreach  07/02/05 09:51 AM

Re: Question about appearance of some recently acquired dried shrooms  Contamination Forum  myndreach  07/07/05 04:59 PM

wet spot mold, brown mold, or just too moist?  Contamination Forum  myndreach  07/11/05 09:00 AM

Re: wet spot mold, brown mold, or just too moist?  Contamination Forum  myndreach  07/11/05 09:44 AM

Is this Jar okay? Please help.  Contamination Forum  myndreach  07/13/05 09:55 AM

Re: Is this Jar okay? Please help.  Contamination Forum  myndreach  07/13/05 12:46 PM

Re: Is this Jar okay? Please help.  Contamination Forum  myndreach  07/13/05 12:59 PM

Re: discoloration  Contamination Forum  myndreach  07/14/05 09:25 AM

Re: Are these mushrooms ruined?  Contamination Forum  myndreach  07/18/05 01:20 PM

Is this jar okay? Please look and let me know.  Contamination Forum  myndreach  07/18/05 02:31 PM

Re: Is this jar okay? Please look and let me know.  Contamination Forum  myndreach  07/18/05 05:17 PM

Re: Is this jar okay? Please look and let me know.  Contamination Forum  myndreach  07/18/05 05:25 PM

What is this? Are these salvagable?  Contamination Forum  myndreach  04/22/07 07:30 AM

Re: what is this black stuff in my PF jar?  Contamination Forum  myndreach  04/22/07 07:42 AM

Re: Weird  Contamination Forum  myndreach  04/22/07 07:44 AM

Re: What is this? Are these salvagable?  Contamination Forum  myndreach  04/24/07 10:31 AM

Re: hello all....first post here....got a question  Contamination Forum  myndreach  04/24/07 10:34 AM

Myc piss, right? (pic)  Contamination Forum  myndreach  04/30/07 09:54 AM

Re: Myc piss, right? (pic)  Contamination Forum  myndreach  04/30/07 10:42 AM

Re: Cobweb mold?  Contamination Forum  myndreach  05/26/07 10:44 PM

Pan cyan tray...what's going on?  Contamination Forum  myndreach  05/29/07 02:35 PM

Re: Pan cyan tray...what's going on?  Contamination Forum  myndreach  05/29/07 08:01 PM

ButterWeasels 

"ive inoculated many jars and ive only had 1 contam in las vegas but i didnt make the jar, it was from pjars, my very first grow. just flame sterilize often and youll have no problems in open air, in a clean house."

Re: Should I just case these cakes?  Contamination Forum  ButterWeasels  12/15/06 03:28 PM

Cobweb? Problems  Contamination Forum  ButterWeasels  10/18/07 07:42 AM

Re: Cobweb? Problems  Contamination Forum  ButterWeasels  10/18/07 07:51 AM

Re: Cobweb? Problems  Contamination Forum  ButterWeasels  10/18/07 08:46 AM

Cobweb? Monotub Problems  Contamination Forum  ButterWeasels  10/18/07 09:25 AM

Re: Cobweb? Problems  Contamination Forum  ButterWeasels  10/18/07 10:46 AM

Re: Cobweb? Monotub Problems  Contamination Forum  ButterWeasels  10/18/07 11:15 AM

Re: Cobweb? Problems  Contamination Forum  ButterWeasels  10/18/07 01:13 PM

Re: Cobweb? Problems  Contamination Forum  ButterWeasels  10/18/07 03:20 PM

Re: Cobweb? Problems  Contamination Forum  ButterWeasels  10/19/07 06:47 AM

I could go on to find a million of these!

InvisibleDragonaut

Re: The things people do for their grow that are a waste of time/money [Re: Cloneufc]
        #11690646 - 12/21/09 05:24 AM (14 years, 3 months ago)

:nonono:What the hell...edit that junk please. Open air inoculations FTW. Unless you are doing G2G or agar work, all you need are some alcohol wipes and a lighter/alc. lamp to keep the needle sterile.

--------------------
    :dragon:

Invisiblejoska87
    xenophobia
    Male User Gallery

Loc: Idaho...No U Da Ho
    Re: The things people do for their grow that are a waste of time/money [Re: Cloneufc]
        #11690649 - 12/21/09 05:25 AM (14 years, 3 months ago)

WHY:confused:

--------------------
    When I was a boy i came across two nuns makin love in cave....That typa shit wont happen in the future...
    :strokebeard:

Invisibledancefloordale
    Research Assistant

#11690688 - 12/21/09 05:52 AM (14 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

Cloneufc said:
    Drum Roll Please! Open air inoculation is the biggest waste of time. I put this together because its so damn funny.

"1 cubic foot of normal household air contains on average:
    100,000 invisible particulates.
    So, every square inch of that air carries:
    One hell of a load of possible contaminate spores. Agar

Best success rate for open air inoculation.
    Is to continuously keep the needle covered.
    With an alc saturated gauze pad, foam, paper towel, or cotton balls.
    Otherwise, you will not BE LUCKY, FOR LONG." Agar

Anyone who recommends open air inoculations can be compared to a drunk who recommends drinking and driving.
    RR

Agar is a very experienced grower. His method you linked keeps the needle covered at all times in an alcohol soaked cloth. That's actually not 'open air'. Leave the needle in open air and see what happens. A glovebox is very easy to make.
    RR

dgls_jms

"id say a glovebox is a waste considering i never use one and rarely if ever get a contamination

I agree, I do all my work on a cookie sheet, door open to a hot oven. Is a little warm but hasent fail me yet."

"so I had a WBS jar that started showing contams a couple days after the myc started growing. I put it on my back porch and forgot about it. Now I'm not going to use but but the battle for life inside that jar has been amazing to watch. The myc pushed the mold to the very top, just a very few grains, and took over the whole jar. Fun to watch!"

"I ordered up 4 syringes from ralph. I also ordered a "sterile liquid culture" in a qt mason jar off of ebay. They ebay dude was taking forever to ship so I went out and bought some baby bottles, did my best to sterilize in the mic, knocked up after they cooled down. 30 hours later, mycelia is covering the bottom, so I swirled to distribute it throughout the culture. After I swirled, they became cloudy and remained that way, never saw the mycelia back at the bottom. This is when I realized I should invest in a pc, so I ordered one up, should arrive today. So while I'm waiting for my pc, my "sterile lc" arrived. It was clear and apeared to be contan free. knocked it up with a cc from a fresh spore syringe. 24 hours later, bottoms covered in mycelia. So last night, I swirled to disrtibute it. This morning the jar is all cloudy, and there is not as much mycelia on the bottom as last night. I am starting to think it is either ralphs syringes, or the "sterile aiport syringe" that this guy sent me. I figured when he said sterile it would still be in the autoclave bag, but it was a syringe stuffed with polyfill, no plunger, with the needle already attached, whole think rapped in foil, in a ziplock bag. I used ipa and flamed the needles. Also, It got really could here over the past week, went from 80's to around 70, dropping into the 50's at night. MY thermostat reads 70 inside, but I think it might get lower during the night, as the heater is not turned on yet. I know this would slow myclia growth, but would it speed up bacterial growth? I was thinking about setting the jar on a heating pad thing, but I don't want it to get too hot. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks"

sHrOoMaCiDe

"On one of my recent attempts, i used 6 BRF/Verm jars and cubensis spore syringes. I inoculated in open air(dumb idea) all six jars about 3 weeks ago. The result: 4jars infected with green/black molds, and the other 2 surviving jars did not colonize or change at all. No growth. What happened? I inoculated 1-2 maybe even 3cc's in each jar. Still after 3 weeks, nothings happened. Any insights for me? Seems like failure. Really disappointing ya know?"

I got extremely lucky with innoculating my LC and fungi rye bag in open air. They are both progressing without contamination. However, the bag is progressing at a glacial speed. The LC is almost done colonizing. When its done should I suck up some of that mycelium and inject it into my fungi bag to speed it up? 

I've never had success in growing mushrooms yet, but my 3rd attempt was the closest. I inoculated two quart sized pre-sterilized rye grain jars back in july. The mycelium grew in one of them but not the other. However, it grew about halfway up the jar and then stopped. It went dormant or something. so my question is, can i re-inoculate the jar that didn't grow any mycelium? its really old, but theres no contamination.

VampireSlayer
                    Why i'm done with OPEN AIR INOCULATIONS

"Just wanted to say...i did open air innoc for a year with pretty good success. actually only till the last couple months have I been getting contams...I do not fuck with open air period!! it is just a 50/50 in my oppinion. I put the blame on a vendor here about a contammed syringe but NOW i'm not sure if it was the the vendor to blame or if it was me...the point is if you use any other method (flow air or still air) then you can easssily put the blame on the culture or syringe (talking cubie syringer growers here not graintograin and stuff)
    but grain to grain I WOULD NEVER do in open air
    but NOW i'll never even do open air period...it's too risky period"

NinjaGaiden

"I've had 100% success with using the oven tek. I do everything: Make syringes, inoculate jars, G2G transfers using the oven.

I'm not at all trying to debate if the tek itself is bogus or not, but it does work for some." NinjaGaiden

"more like 100% LUCK

and I will debate it...

the Oven tek is crap!~" Roadkill

jeetered

"i always open air inoculate. I like "glacial" that's great, i've found that with spore to grain before too. LC to grain is much much faster. I don't know anything about adding LC to it to speed it up      though."

"i do pretty much everything open air except agar work."

Re: What in the world!  Contamination Forum  jeetered  03/25/07 06:58 PM

Re: Contamination???  Contamination Forum  jeetered  05/17/07 08:43 PM

Re: Contamination???  Contamination Forum  jeetered  05/18/07 07:51 PM

Re: Bacillus contam in rye  Contamination Forum  jeetered  07/01/07 09:47 AM

black,blue,green,and purple molds in 3 jars, 18 total contam'd (failed g2g )  Contamination Forum  jeetered  11/07/07 08:08 AM

Re: black,blue,green,and purple molds in 3 jars, 18 total contam'd (failed g2g )  Contamination Forum  jeetered  11/07/07 08:34 AM

Re: black,blue,green,and purple molds in 3 jars, 18 total contam'd (failed g2g )  Contamination Forum  jeetered  11/07/07 10:44 AM

Re: black,blue,green,and purple molds in 3 jars, 18 total contam'd (failed g2g )  Contamination Forum  jeetered  11/07/07 10:51 AM

Re: black,blue,green,and purple molds in 3 jars, 18 total contam'd (failed g2g )  Contamination Forum  jeetered  11/08/07 05:37 AM

Re: black,blue,green,and purple molds in 3 jars, 18 total contam'd (failed g2g )  Contamination Forum  jeetered  11/09/07 05:31 AM

Re: black,blue,green,and purple molds in 3 jars, 18 total contam'd (failed g2g )  Contamination Forum  jeetered  11/10/07 07:54 AM

Re: black,blue,green,and purple molds in 3 jars, 18 total contam'd (failed g2g )  Contamination Forum 

figgusfiddus

"Yeah, open air inoculation isn't really that risky. When I get screwed up, it's usually the substrate conditions that do it."

Re: Contamination?  Contamination Forum  figgusfiddus  05/10/07 01:15 PM

Re: Contamination?  Contamination Forum  figgusfiddus  05/14/07 10:39 AM

Re: Daaaaaaaamn! Green Mold...  Contamination Forum  figgusfiddus  06/13/07 06:53 PM

Re: weird growth on cake (pic)  Contamination Forum  figgusfiddus  06/16/07 05:05 PM

Re: weird growth on cake (pic)  Contamination Forum  figgusfiddus  06/16/07 08:28 PM

Re: What kind of infection is this? [pics]  Contamination Forum  figgusfiddus  06/16/07 08:50 PM

Re: What kind of infection is this? [pics]  Contamination Forum  figgusfiddus  06/16/07 08:57 PM

Re: Daaaaaaaamn! Green Mold...  Contamination Forum  figgusfiddus  06/17/07 02:19 PM

Re: weird growth on cake (pic)update  Contamination Forum  figgusfiddus  06/17/07 06:13 PM

Re: wet looking caps  Contamination Forum  figgusfiddus  06/17/07 06:15 PM

Re: weird growth on cake (pic)  Contamination Forum  figgusfiddus  06/18/07 02:49 PM

Re: ...is this Trich?  Contamination Forum  figgusfiddus  07/06/07 01:27 PM

Re: ...is this Trich?  Contamination Forum  figgusfiddus  07/06/07 01:28 PM

Low humidity promoting molds (esp. trichoderma)?  Contamination Forum  figgusfiddus  07/28/07 04:13 PM

Re: Low humidity promoting molds (esp. trichoderma)?  Contamination Forum  figgusfiddus  07/30/07 10:27 PM

Re: If i have a piece of bread with green mold on it...  Contamination Forum  figgusfiddus  01/30/08 03:46 PM

myndreach

"do most people here actually use a glovebox or something? SWIM has never had contams as a result of air...the one they got was because of a bad syringe.

lysol for surfaces, oust for the air, dust mask and rubber gloves."

Re: Worst Contam Pic  Contamination Forum  myndreach  05/27/05 08:55 AM

Re: tiny black spec on mycelium  Contamination Forum  myndreach  06/01/05 04:26 PM

First grow...AFOAF is freaking out...come this far....contam?  Contamination Forum  myndreach  06/10/05 09:27 PM

Re: First grow...AFOAF is freaking out...come this far....contam?  Contamination Forum  myndreach  06/10/05 09:50 PM

Re: black stuff in syringe  Contamination Forum  myndreach  06/11/05 10:48 PM

Re: Possible contam on mushrooms?  Contamination Forum  myndreach  06/12/05 08:22 PM

Re: brown mycellium?  Contamination Forum  myndreach  06/12/05 08:23 PM

Re: spots on white mycelium  Contamination Forum  myndreach  06/13/05 09:00 AM

Contam or Myc Piss?  Contamination Forum  myndreach  06/13/05 11:06 AM

Re: Contam or Myc Piss?  Contamination Forum  myndreach  06/14/05 07:27 AM

Contams in jar? Brown/Orange/Wet spot mold? Need help quick please.  Contamination Forum  myndreach  07/02/05 09:51 AM

Re: Question about appearance of some recently acquired dried shrooms  Contamination Forum  myndreach  07/07/05 04:59 PM

wet spot mold, brown mold, or just too moist?  Contamination Forum  myndreach  07/11/05 09:00 AM

Re: wet spot mold, brown mold, or just too moist?  Contamination Forum  myndreach  07/11/05 09:44 AM

Is this Jar okay? Please help.  Contamination Forum  myndreach  07/13/05 09:55 AM

Re: Is this Jar okay? Please help.  Contamination Forum  myndreach  07/13/05 12:46 PM

Re: Is this Jar okay? Please help.  Contamination Forum  myndreach  07/13/05 12:59 PM

Re: discoloration  Contamination Forum  myndreach  07/14/05 09:25 AM

Re: Are these mushrooms ruined?  Contamination Forum  myndreach  07/18/05 01:20 PM

Is this jar okay? Please look and let me know.  Contamination Forum  myndreach  07/18/05 02:31 PM

Re: Is this jar okay? Please look and let me know.  Contamination Forum  myndreach  07/18/05 05:17 PM

Re: Is this jar okay? Please look and let me know.  Contamination Forum  myndreach  07/18/05 05:25 PM

What is this? Are these salvagable?  Contamination Forum  myndreach  04/22/07 07:30 AM

Re: what is this black stuff in my PF jar?  Contamination Forum  myndreach  04/22/07 07:42 AM

Re: Weird  Contamination Forum  myndreach  04/22/07 07:44 AM

Re: What is this? Are these salvagable?  Contamination Forum  myndreach  04/24/07 10:31 AM

Re: hello all....first post here....got a question  Contamination Forum  myndreach  04/24/07 10:34 AM

Myc piss, right? (pic)  Contamination Forum  myndreach  04/30/07 09:54 AM

Re: Myc piss, right? (pic)  Contamination Forum  myndreach  04/30/07 10:42 AM

Re: Cobweb mold?  Contamination Forum  myndreach  05/26/07 10:44 PM

Pan cyan tray...what's going on?  Contamination Forum  myndreach  05/29/07 02:35 PM

Re: Pan cyan tray...what's going on?  Contamination Forum  myndreach  05/29/07 08:01 PM

ButterWeasels 

"ive inoculated many jars and ive only had 1 contam in las vegas but i didnt make the jar, it was from pjars, my very first grow. just flame sterilize often and youll have no problems in open air, in a clean house."

Re: Should I just case these cakes?  Contamination Forum  ButterWeasels  12/15/06 03:28 PM

Cobweb? Problems  Contamination Forum  ButterWeasels  10/18/07 07:42 AM

Re: Cobweb? Problems  Contamination Forum  ButterWeasels  10/18/07 07:51 AM

Re: Cobweb? Problems  Contamination Forum  ButterWeasels  10/18/07 08:46 AM

Cobweb? Monotub Problems  Contamination Forum  ButterWeasels  10/18/07 09:25 AM

Re: Cobweb? Problems  Contamination Forum  ButterWeasels  10/18/07 10:46 AM

Re: Cobweb? Monotub Problems  Contamination Forum  ButterWeasels  10/18/07 11:15 AM

Re: Cobweb? Problems  Contamination Forum  ButterWeasels  10/18/07 01:13 PM

Re: Cobweb? Problems  Contamination Forum  ButterWeasels  10/18/07 03:20 PM

Re: Cobweb? Problems  Contamination Forum  ButterWeasels  10/19/07 06:47 AM

That was fucking hilarious. Thank you. :rofl2:

--------------------
    Everything posted by the user dancefloordale, aside from what is written in this here clause is completely and utterly fictitious, despite any information read (or seen), above (or below) that might lead you to believe otherwise.

Hydra Tek - A detailed guide, for newest to the most skilled cultivators.

HCA

Bulk growing made easy-discussion
    Bulk Growing Made Easy

OfflineCloneufc
    Master Exploder!
    Male

Loc: Las Vegas Flag
    Re: The things people do for their grow that are a waste of time/money [Re: dancefloordale]
        #11690691 - 12/21/09 05:54 AM (14 years, 3 months ago)

Thank you! Finally someone gets it! lol

Offlinedgls_jms
    festival follower

#11690698 - 12/21/09 06:02 AM (14 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

This wasn't my thread.

--------------------
    Not that you lied to me, but that I no longer believe you has shaken me.

"I have done that" says my memory. "I cannot have done that" says my pride, and remains inexorable. Eventually - memory yields.

Offlineveda_sticks
    Cultivator
    Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    Loc: UK Flag
        #11690702 - 12/21/09 06:07 AM (14 years, 3 months ago)

Im a little disapointed to find people still saying gloveboxes are a waste of time.

I dont doubt that a SELECT group of people are very successfull with doing inoculations in open air, however from being on this forum nearly every day for the past 3-4 years and from my own personal experiences. Not using a glovebox has been the cause of alot of failures.

The needle is not the only point that contamination could get into a jar, the jar itself is also at risk. Spores landing on the jar lid, on the inoc holes and getting pushed through during inoculation.

I tried and tried using open air inoculations, keeping the needle covered, wiping the jar lid with IPA, even flaming and inoculating wile the needle was still hot and i would get 90% contam rate.

Glovebox's are certainly not a waste of time and considering how cheaply 1 can be constructed and if made right, they are very easy to work inside.

If you use a glovebox you also save money on all those chemicals you are spraying everywhere. No need to empty a bottle of lysol and a can of oust, just a nice few spraws around your glovebox.

IMO open air inoculations are a waste of time, too much effort spent trying to sterilise the air and surfaces. Yoiu'd be better of spending a few minutes each day keeping your place tidy and clean.

I made mine oiut of cardboard.

Total cost was for that was somewhere around £1 after buying clinging film.

99% success rate, inoculating substrates, LC making prints and syringes.

My flat however does have a high spore count. My bedroom (which i dont use) grows green mold. Its winter just now, i put a chair in there which i dont use and its growing mold after just a month and its bloody cold in there, muyst be close to 0.

Not everyone has a very clean place thats dry with a low spore count.

Also, i noticed someone put down lighting as a waste. The best mushrooms i have grown, and that i have seen grown across the forum has been with bright light in the daylight range on a day night schedule.

--------------------

PF TEK - writeup by EvilMushroom666
    Lets Grow Mushrooms - RogerRabbit & RoadKills website with sample videos plus the full PF TEK video series. Alot of great information - BUY THE DVD
    Cakes can and will pin! - So you think cakes suck for pins. Your wrong
    Franks Simple Coir/Verm Tek
    Franks Proper Pasturisation Tek
    Franks Spawning To Bulk - Monotub
    Professor Pinheads RTV Injection Port Tek
    Foo Mans No Soak WBS Prep Tek

Invisibletugwax
    Anomaly
    Male User Gallery

Re: The things people do for their grow that are a waste of time/money [Re: veda_sticks]
        #11691531 - 12/21/09 11:12 AM (14 years, 3 months ago)

The thread is still controversial but seems to have taken a turn for the better.

Is it just me or is everyone calling a still air box a glovebox?
    If it was a glovebox then wouldn't it have gloves attached?

--------------------
    --------------------

Offlinenexus1946
    Rebel
     User Gallery

Loc: In the moment
    Re: The things people do for their grow that are a waste of time/money [Re: tugwax]
        #11691673 - 12/21/09 11:30 AM (14 years, 3 months ago)

Still Air/Glove Box

The only thing better would be a Laminar Flow Hood. (Soon to come) :grin:

--------------------
    Gypsum/Drywall Tek
    The Story Of Russell The Texas (Cube) Bear

The human race's prospects of survival were considerably better when we were defenceless against tigers than they are today when we have become defenceless against ourselves.
    -Arnold J. Toynbee

Invisiblejdolphinbabe
    One Who Seeks 2 Know
    Female

Loc: Washington
        #11691725 - 12/21/09 11:39 AM (14 years, 3 months ago)

this thread is a waste.... first things i did make a glove box out of plastic so it can be bleached clean and 3 months later bought a pc! at the very least it has been entertaining......as far as threads go..... i am sure this one will die and get resurfaced so many times....

Invisibletugwax
    Anomaly
    Male User Gallery

Re: The things people do for their grow that are a waste of time/money [Re: jdolphinbabe]
        #11691810 - 12/21/09 11:53 AM (14 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

nexus1946 said:
    Still Air/Glove Box

The only thing better would be a Laminar Flow Hood. (Soon to come) :grin:

Yes I made one just like that when waiting for the spores for my first grow. Contam free but just too awkward to use. Flow hood construction commenced immediately and has been in use ever since.

If you don't have any problem using that glovebox then I'd recommend a filtered hole on the side of the box to equalize the pressure differences when you move your hands in and out.

I'm sure this kind of design is much better than a still air box for just a little more work.

Quote:

jdolphinbabe said:
    this thread is a waste.... first things i did make a glove box out of plastic so it can be bleached clean and 3 months later bought a pc! at the very least it has been entertaining......as far as threads go..... i am sure this one will die and get resurfaced so many times....

You now use a PC instead of a glovebox?

--------------------
    --------------------

Edited by tugwax (12/21/09 12:24 PM)

Jump to top Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: OlympusMyco.com Sterilized Grain Bag   Mushroom-Hut Grow Bags   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Capsules