Home | Community | Message Board


This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.


Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order

Jump to first unread post Pages: | 1 | 2 | 3  [ show all ]
Re: ME FOR MOD? [Re: fireworks_god]
    #11458909 -

fireworks_god said:
That is because this forum is specifically intended for ideological discussion.



I don't have to play by the rules.  Is someone gonna ban me because of this ridiculousness :lol:?  When I was in school, I didn't care what the teacher wanted out of me.  You know why?  Because I wanted to have fun.  I never bought into seriousness and strict guidelines.

People like to expect things out of me.  I think that's funny, and this is why I enjoy this type of debate.

Edited by deranger (11/15/09 09:43 AM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: ME FOR MOD? [Re: deranger]
    #11459236 -

deranger said:
I can't fully understand Socrates context as I have not fully experienced what he has, therefore I cannot fully understand what he is saying (or his meaning).  The same goes for the Tao Te Ching and the original Zohar interpreted by David Goldstein.  If we have not experienced similar experiences these authors have, we cannot understand the context through which they speak.  Their meanings will be fully, partially, or completely misunderstood.  Until we have experienced, we can partially or slightly understand their context.  The author of the Tao Te Ching speaks in a way which sometimes baffles me.  Until I have partially experienced what the author of the book experienced, then I can partially understand his context. 

So we can understand outside of context, if we make changes in our experiences.



I understand what you mean, although I would personally refer to it more as "expanding one's context", in the sense that one is proceeding to gain more knowledge, insight, or experience which contributes to one's ability to understand.

When I said that one cannot find meaning outside of context, I was referring to the idea that the meaning and intention behind one word is only evidenced (to others) in that word's relation to other words, to other phrases. You've expanded this same idea to the entirety of an individual's personal understanding and the meaning they assign to everything they perceive, and I agree. It determines how we understand what others are saying and the simple fact that we aren't the same people as them with the same vantage point implies that we are not capable of seeing things and understanding things fully as they do.

To focus more on the specific point at which the exchange of information is taking place, in order for someone to begin to approach a greater understanding of the intention, or context, if you wish, of Socrates, one can read some of his work. If I personally don't find enough information in your words "not really, different contexts" to feel like I can pinpoint an accurate impression of what you were intending to say, it is helpful for me to ask for more information from you. :wink:



deranger said:
I don't have to play by the rules.  Is someone gonna ban me because of this ridiculousness :lol:?



I seriously doubt you'd be banned; I certainly wouldn't have banned you when I was a moderator.
I think you might have missed the point I was attempting to express. The forum is orientated or intended for ideological discussion because that's what a lot of people come here to do. This is why I try to hold myself to the ideal of discussing what has been presented, the ideas that have been put forth to discuss. Its kind of a collective effort to propagate thoughts and ideas, have others contribute to them, test them out in accordance with their own personal contexts, usually in the pursuit of futhering the ideas and finding the ones that more represent reality. To use your words, we are all coming from different experiences and different understandings, and its through open discussion that we work to better understand each other and the world around us.


--------------------
:redpanda:
If I should die this very moment
I wouldn't fear
For I've never known completeness
Like being here
Wrapped in the warmth of you
Loving every breath of you

:heartpump: :bunnyhug: :yinyang:

:yinyang: :levitate: :earth: :levitate: :yinyang:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: ME FOR MOD? [Re: fireworks_god]
    #11459311 -

fireworks_god said:
I understand what you mean, although I would personally refer to it more as "expanding one's context", in the sense that one is proceeding to gain more knowledge, insight, or experience which contributes to one's ability to understand.



Same stuff, different pile to me.  Like I said, I never paid attention in school, and didn't want someone telling me which words I should use.

To focus more on the specific point at which the exchange of information is taking place, in order for someone to begin to approach a greater understanding of the intention, or context, if you wish, of Socrates, one can read some of his work. If I personally don't find enough information in your words "not really, different contexts" to feel like I can pinpoint an accurate impression of what you were intending to say, it is helpful for me to ask for more information from you. :wink:

I was testing how expanded your ability to contextualize was.  This was sort of an experiment for me.

I think you might have missed the point I was attempting to express. The forum is orientated or intended for ideological discussion because that's what a lot of people come here to do. This is why I try to hold myself to the ideal of discussing what has been presented, the ideas that have been put forth to discuss.

I understood your point from the beginning.  I mentioned in the OP that I wasn't asking to become a mod.  Maybe you didn't take me seriously.  I also said this thread was a joke.  I've always known the admins wouldn't let me mod.  I knew this for a fact.

I like to get inside of peoples heads, to hope to teach them a lesson.  And I like people getting inside of my head, so that I can learn as well.  It's much more powerful a teaching than reading some words on a book.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: ME FOR MOD? [Re: deranger]
    #11459447 -

so i didn't read the whole thread

but is deranger mod now??? :laugh:


--------------------


Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: ME FOR MOD? [Re: deranger]
    #11459502 -

hahahahaha in my wildest dreams
deranger said:
fireworks_god said:
I understand what you mean, although I would personally refer to it more as "expanding one's context", in the sense that one is proceeding to gain more knowledge, insight, or experience which contributes to one's ability to understand.



Same stuff, different pile to me.  Like I said, I never paid attention in school, and didn't want someone telling me which words I should use.

To focus more on the specific point at which the exchange of information is taking place, in order for someone to begin to approach a greater understanding of the intention, or context, if you wish, of Socrates, one can read some of his work. If I personally don't find enough information in your words "not really, different contexts" to feel like I can pinpoint an accurate impression of what you were intending to say, it is helpful for me to ask for more information from you. :wink:

I was testing how expanded your ability to contextualize was.  This was sort of an experiment for me.

I think you might have missed the point I was attempting to express. The forum is orientated or intended for ideological discussion because that's what a lot of people come here to do. This is why I try to hold myself to the ideal of discussing what has been presented, the ideas that have been put forth to discuss.

I understood your point from the beginning.  I mentioned in the OP that I wasn't asking to become a mod.  Maybe you didn't take me seriously.  I also said this thread was a joke.  I've always known the admins wouldn't let me mod.  I knew this for a fact.

I like to get inside of peoples heads, to hope to teach them a lesson.  And I like people getting inside of my head, so that I can learn as well.  It's much more powerful a teaching than reading some words on a book.



This is why I think the personalism rule should be gone.  One time of philosophy, to me, is getting into people's heads and bringing out confusion and emotion.  One way to move through confusion and attachment to emotion is to experience it.  This is why I think this particular type of philosophy should not be cut out from this sub-forum.  This isn't a real philosophy forum, IMO.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: ME FOR MOD? [Re: deranger]
    #11459550 -

deranger said:
This isn't a real philosophy forum, IMO.



:facepalm:

There goes your chance of modship right there.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: ME FOR MOD? *DELETED* [Re: deranger]
    #11459555 -

Post deleted by MushroomTrip

Reason for deletion: j



--------------------
:bunny::bunnyhug:
All this time I've loved you
And never known your face
All this time I've missed you
And searched this human race
Here is true peace
Here my heart knows calm
Safe in your soul
Bathed in your sighs

:bunnyhug: :yinyang2:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: ME FOR MOD? [Re: MushroomTrip]
    #11459560 -

:drama:

Quote:
Wear the grudge like a crown of negativity.
Calculate what we will or will not tolerate.
Desperate to control all and everything.
Unable to forgive your scarlet lettermen.

Clutch it like a cornerstone. Otherwise it all comes down.
Justify denials and grip 'em to the lonesome end.
Clutch it like a cornerstone. Otherwise it all comes down.
Terrified of being wrong. Ultimatum prison cell.

Saturn ascends, choose one or ten. Hang on or be humbled again.
Humbled again.

Clutch it like a cornerstone. Otherwise it all comes down.
Justify denials and grip 'em to the lonesome end.
Saturn ascends, comes round again.
Saturn ascends, from one or ten. Ignorant to the damage done.

Wear the grudge like a crown of negativity.
Calculate what we will or will not tolerate.
Desperate to control all that and everything.
Unable to forgive your scarlet lettermen.

Wear your grudge like a crown. Desperate to control.
Unable to forgive. And we're sinking deeper.

Defining, confining, sinking deeper.
Controlling, Defining, and we're sinking deeper.

Saturn comes back around to show you everything
Let's you choose what you will, will not see and then
Drags you down like a stone or lifts you up again
Spits you out like a child, light and innocent.

Saturn comes back around. Lifts you up like a child or
Drags you down like a stone
To consume you till you choose to let this go.
Choose to let this go...

Give away the stone. Let the oceans take and
Transmutate this cold and fated anchor.
Give away the stone. Let the waters kiss and
Transmutate these leaden grudges into gold.
Let go.



Edited by deranger (11/15/09 12:04 PM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: ME FOR MOD? [Re: deranger]
    #11459562 -

i quoted the wrong sentence, sorry about that!

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: ME FOR MOD? [Re: RationalEgo]
    #11459567 -

RationalEgo said:
deranger said:
This isn't a real philosophy forum, IMO.



:facepalm:

There goes your chance of modship right there.



I never said I wanted to be a mod.  :facepalm:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: ME FOR MOD? *DELETED* [Re: MushroomTrip]
    #11459589 -

MushroomTrip said:
That's because you post in it



That was MT's last post, in case anyone wants to know why it was deleted.

What I just said could be considered a personalism, but not one to get my post deleted or warned for.

MT's response to me was a personalism worth getting warned over.  Yet it never happens?  I wonder why?  I think I know the answer.

The favoritism mixed in with the rules here also makes this place not a real philosophy forum IMO.

Edited by deranger (11/15/09 12:10 PM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: ME FOR MOD? [Re: deranger]
    #11462729 -

deranger said:
Same stuff, different pile to me.  Like I said, I never paid attention in school, and didn't want someone telling me which words I should use.



It really isn't a matter of telling you which words you should use, but a process of helping you to form an internally-consistent viewpoint on a matter.
For instance, you refer to a person's context and its nature as something that has been uniquely determined by the specific progression of experiences through life.
At the same time, you refer to a process of accumulating new experiences which can be similar to those of others, through which one can better understand the context of others. You label this as "thinking outside of context", but the nature of context (the fact that meaning only exists within context) and the nature of the process you specifically referred to implies that it isn't thinking "outside" of context, but rather changing one's personal context, the effect of which enables one to better understand the context of the meaning others express.

Quote:
I understood your point from the beginning.  I mentioned in the OP that I wasn't asking to become a mod.  Maybe you didn't take me seriously.  I also said this thread was a joke.  I've always known the admins wouldn't let me mod.  I knew this for a fact.



If you understood my point from the beginning, then you certainly wouldn't be mentioning the fact that you weren't asking to become a moderator, because the issue of whether or not you want to be a moderator is completely irrelevant to the point I was making when I referred to the forum being intended for ideological discussion, which was mentioned specifically regarding why I personally choose to hold myself to the ideal that I do in posting.

The statement "That is because this forum is specifically intended for ideological discussion. " was directly speaking in regard to my behavior in posting. "That" is a marker for "I try to hold myself to the ideal that I am only discussing what is presented, that which has been placed on the table for discussion.".

You seemed to mistake my mentioning the nature of the forum as suggesting that your behavior wasn't allowed, and then you mistook my elaboration on what I meant to suggest that I had mentioned it in regards to whether or not you wanted to be a moderator. I was only stating that I am interested in ideological discussion and that, subsequently, I focus squarely on that as that is what the forum is intended for, which is why I'm here in this forum. I then elaborated more later on what I feel that kind of discussion is and why I'm interested in it. :wink:


--------------------
:redpanda:
If I should die this very moment
I wouldn't fear
For I've never known completeness
Like being here
Wrapped in the warmth of you
Loving every breath of you

:heartpump: :bunnyhug: :yinyang:

:yinyang: :levitate: :earth: :levitate: :yinyang:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: ME FOR MOD? [Re: fireworks_god]
    #11463817 -

Could you elaborate?


--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: ME FOR MOD? [Re: fireworks_god]
    #11465260 -

fireworks_god said:
deranger said:
Same stuff, different pile to me.  Like I said, I never paid attention in school, and didn't want someone telling me which words I should use.



It really isn't a matter of telling you which words you should use, but a process of helping you to form an internally-consistent viewpoint on a matter.
For instance, you refer to a person's context and its nature as something that has been uniquely determined by the specific progression of experiences through life.
At the same time, you refer to a process of accumulating new experiences which can be similar to those of others, through which one can better understand the context of others. You label this as "thinking outside of context", but the nature of context (the fact that meaning only exists within context) and the nature of the process you specifically referred to implies that it isn't thinking "outside" of context, but rather changing one's personal context, the effect of which enables one to better understand the context of the meaning others express.



I already implied I know what you just said, so I don't get why that explanation was needed.

Quote:
It really isn't a matter of telling you which words you should use, but a process of helping you to form an internally-consistent viewpoint on a matter.



I don't need help, I feel quite consistent.  Though I may seem confusing to others :wink:

Quote:
If you understood my point from the beginning, then you certainly wouldn't be mentioning the fact that you weren't asking to become a moderator, because the issue of whether or not you want to be a moderator is completely irrelevant to the point I was making when I referred to the forum being intended for ideological discussion, which was mentioned specifically regarding why I personally choose to hold myself to the ideal that I do in posting.

The statement "That is because this forum is specifically intended for ideological discussion. " was directly speaking in regard to my behavior in posting. "That" is a marker for "I try to hold myself to the ideal that I am only discussing what is presented, that which has been placed on the table for discussion.".

You seemed to mistake my mentioning the nature of the forum as suggesting that your behavior wasn't allowed, and then you mistook my elaboration on what I meant to suggest that I had mentioned it in regards to whether or not you wanted to be a moderator. I was only stating that I am interested in ideological discussion and that, subsequently, I focus squarely on that as that is what the forum is intended for, which is why I'm here in this forum. I then elaborated more later on what I feel that kind of discussion is and why I'm interested in it. :wink:



And I was giving you my perspective on why I don't strictly conform to "ideological discussion", to make myself clear.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: ME FOR MOD? [Re: deranger]
    #11465267 -

deranger said:
ME FOR MOD?




No, not really.


--------------------
大开眼界

:awegroove:
:fbsnugs::fbsnugs::fbsnugs:
Hasta siempre, comandante.
:mattz:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: ME FOR MOD? [Re: meatcakeman]
    #11465396 -

:hissyfit:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Jump to top Pages: | 1 | 2 | 3  [ show all ]

Shop: Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order


Similar ThreadsPosterViewsRepliesLast post
* An exercise in interpretation or intention.
( 1 2 3 all )
Anonymous 3,485 42 02/11/04 04:06 PM
by trendal
* QUESTION ON COLOR BLIND + ART (mods dont delete, read top) spud 1,483 17 05/15/04 05:01 PM
by redgreenvines
* Intention vs. Desire Swami 1,508 11 06/16/03 01:36 PM
by Anonymous
* my hidden intent.
( 1 2 all )
kaiowas 2,004 21 12/29/03 08:04 PM
by Frog
* Tripping & Intent
( 1 2 all )
Swami 4,192 32 04/26/03 08:00 AM
by Anonymous
* We need one mod for this forum.
( 1 2 all )
ThorA 4,049 38 09/16/02 08:04 AM
by Swami
* When will you all understand? There is no god!
( 1 2 3 4 ... 13 14 )
Fliquid 23,242 263 09/22/11 10:30 AM
by Cactilove
* Balanced mod views silversoul7 1,656 14 06/28/04 11:21 AM
by MAIA

Extra information
You cannot start new topics / You cannot reply to topics
HTML is disabled / BBCode is enabled
Moderator: Middleman, DividedQuantum
1,677 topic views. 1 members, 5 guests and 38 web crawlers are browsing this forum.
[ Show Images Only | Sort by Score | Print Topic ]
Search this thread:

Copyright 1997-2026 Mind Media. Some rights reserved.

Generated in 0.03 seconds spending 0.009 seconds on 17 queries.