Home | Community | Message Board

Zamnesia.com
Please support our sponsors.

General Interest >> Philosophy, Sociology & Psychology

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: Scales

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Invisiblespud
I'm so fly.

QUESTION ON COLOR BLIND + ART (mods dont delete, read top)
    #2676515 - 05/14/04 03:32 AM (12 years, 6 months ago)

i know i posted this in otd, but i have a feeling i wont get any real responses there and im not sure if this classifies as philosophy, i dont see what else it would fall under? if you find this crossposting even though i have a reason or not to fit under philosophy, feel free to delete it. its something im really curious about so i just want good answers and i feel like i could get them here.

i am looking for a serious response. please do not respond unless you know A LOT about being color blind. if you think color blind is OMFG YOU CAN LIKE ONLY SEE BLACK AND WHITE WTF LOLOLO!?!? don't respond, color blind is nothing near to only seeing black and white.

here is my question: i am color blind (red/brown type only i believe...might also affect certain shades of blue). because of that as you might know, i have my own perspective and scale of colors that differ from non color blind people. modern art (pretty much all art from impressionism on) uses colors and light to create strong feelings within the person. its not about the picture, but about the colors, brush strokes, textures, etc; though colors is the strongest factor. art relies on inherent notions about color in people, that certain colors invoke certain feelings in people. do you think my colorblindness might prevent me from experiencing these arche types in art? can i not fully appreciate art because i am color blind? recently i really started getting into art, i just hope i can appreciate it to its full potential...

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
InvisibleZero7a1
Leaving YourWasteland

Loc: Passing Cloud
Re: QUESTION ON COLOR BLIND + ART (mods dont delete, read top) [Re: spud]
    #2676539 - 05/14/04 03:42 AM (12 years, 6 months ago)

Is your world in black and white? I hardly think so, therefore i think the answer you are looking for, is that you can appreciate art.

Because you cant see all the colors doesnt mean you cant understand art, even a blind person could appreciate the smooth curves of a sculptural figure. Not all art is about color. Its funny you posted this, me and my friend matt were just talking about another one of our friends who was color blind.

Matt was telling me that nathan just looks at a lot of things in grey... is that true?

I think some of the most beautiful images are when you can see almost every color... Very contrasted, and high clarity. When i look at a picture, and you look at it, you may have some things left out from what you are seeing, but i think you can still see the same thing... more or less.

Work with your "handicapp" turn it into something that benefits you, maybe you can see things in certain people or paintings or life that other people cant pick up on.

--------------------
What?

Invisiblespud
I'm so fly.

Re: QUESTION ON COLOR BLIND + ART (mods dont delete, read top) [Re: Zero7a1]
    #2676556 - 05/14/04 03:48 AM (12 years, 6 months ago)

well i was wondering about the arche types of color. all art since impressionism relies on colors to invoke certain feelings thanks to carl jung. because jung they realized arche types in people and that everyone should feel the same way in response to certain colors, then they manipulate these colors to invoke certain feelings
im wondering if i see the same colors matched up to the arche types in my mind, just slightly off?
all art since impressionism relies SEVERELY on colors...

Invisibleredgreenvines
irregular verb
 User Gallery

#2676793 - 05/14/04 05:42 AM (12 years, 6 months ago)

I use a lot of color in my paintings.
often I use brown for red and red for purple.
each color is like a direction for me some approximation is normal.
when I paint I work for a totality of gestural expression -
the canvas works as the final object not a container for symbolism or of objects within.
for symbolic art you might find you missed something, but I assure you I will have missed it as well (accidentally on purpose too). symbolic art is more like advertizing than the expression of innate human yearning etc. (often degenerate residue of deeper insight on entheogen)
check this out
www.neoncrunch.on.ca/pix
anyway, study tarot for archetypes,
fear not that you are missing in art.
you are art

Invisiblespud
I'm so fly.

Re: QUESTION ON COLOR BLIND + ART (mods dont delete, read top) [Re: redgreenvines]
    #2676810 - 05/14/04 05:50 AM (12 years, 6 months ago)

is the link to art you have created?

InvisibleRevelation

User Gallery

Loc: heart cave
    #2676934 - 05/14/04 07:55 AM (12 years, 6 months ago)

1. For all we know, the "red" which you see might actually be the "same" as the "green" which I see. You see?
2. Art is so subjective, and we are all so unique, that nobody sees or feels the same thing in any one piece anyway.

It's like having a conversation about beer. Personally I like the taste of Stella Artois, while many folks seem to prefer the taste of Budweiser. Neither beer is "better", rather it's all in the wiring of the taste buds of the individual. Our differences in opinion are caused by the unique way in which we percieve the stimulus.

The fact that you are colorblind certainly means that you percieve the world differently than those who are not, but does it put you at a disadvantage? I think not.

--------------------

Invisibleredgreenvines
irregular verb
 User Gallery

#2677062 - 05/14/04 09:42 AM (12 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

spud said:
is the link to art you have created?

did you like it
did red differences inhibit anything significant?
an email link at that site will connect you to the painter.

Invisiblespud
I'm so fly.

Re: QUESTION ON COLOR BLIND + ART (mods dont delete, read top) [Re: Revelation]
    #2677698 - 05/14/04 01:45 PM (12 years, 6 months ago)

well art isnt really that subjective, that was some little myth formed. the arist has intentions for each piece and uses certain form, colors, shapes, etc to try to send that feeling to the viewer. it is subjective but only to a small extent and it is possible to read art "wrong", that is not see the intended point of the artist. most art nowadays asks questions and makes interesting points, to miss the points is to not interput the art correctly.
though i do agree, it is subjective to a certain extent, such as the answer to the questions they pose and such.

Invisiblespud
I'm so fly.

Re: QUESTION ON COLOR BLIND + ART (mods dont delete, read top) [Re: redgreenvines]
    #2677700 - 05/14/04 01:45 PM (12 years, 6 months ago)

yea, its really good stuff. you can see exactly how the people feel by his colors/brushtrokes/shapes

InvisibleZero7a1
Leaving YourWasteland

#2677989 - 05/14/04 02:57 PM (12 years, 6 months ago)

Is all art, paintings? Your missing out on a whole lot of art if your just looking at paintins :wink: .

Have you looked at any of pablo picaso's work?
http://www.abcgallery.com/P/picasso/picasso36.html
Some of it, the point isnt relying on colors. ITs relying on shapes and form. There are a lot of things you can read in a piece. You can read the composition and say that it is the strong motif... but whether the composition elludes to some other idea... we could never know. We can only infer a small quantity of the artist. Maybe after looking at one artist, a lot of their pieces, we can better understand the works they have.

For instance... Take another philosopher.. artist in his own right..Albert Einstein. Think about time and space... then look at Marcel Duchamp

nude descending a stair case.

Think you will miss out on the interpretation of this piece because you cant tell the color?

--------------------
What?

OfflineBuddha1
journeyman
    #2678455 - 05/14/04 04:33 PM (12 years, 6 months ago)

Just thought I'd ask:
You are asking if you can fully appreciate art, but why limit your question to art? Of course you've seen the beauty of a sunset, natural landscapes, and various plants and animals. Do you feel that others appreciate those things more than you? Beauty is beauty, and I wouldnt take anyone else's word on what is beautiful. And remember, beauty is relative (to an extent), or maybe just our perception of beauty is relative (who knows?). I think that on this topic, the person who knows best is probly you (spud). I have also wondered similar questions regarding the appreciation of beauty, but I have no clue as to an answer.

OfflineTheShroomHermit
Divine Hermit of the Everything
 User Gallery

Loc: border of Canada and Mexi...
    #2679740 - 05/14/04 09:34 PM (12 years, 6 months ago)

It depends... if you couldn't distinguish between certain notes on the musical scale, would this take away from your appreciation of music?

Invisiblespud
I'm so fly.

#2679745 - 05/14/04 09:35 PM (12 years, 6 months ago)

err i ment to say paintings
i figured everyone was assuming id refer to paintings, since i only spoke of paintings in the thread  :tongue:

Invisiblespud
I'm so fly.

Re: QUESTION ON COLOR BLIND + ART (mods dont delete, read top) [Re: Buddha1]
    #2679749 - 05/14/04 09:37 PM (12 years, 6 months ago)

i dont think you guys are getting what im asking. im asking specifically if ARCHE TYPES in color will affect me, nothing more nothing less.

InvisibleZero7a1
Leaving YourWasteland

#2680644 - 05/15/04 01:42 AM (12 years, 6 months ago)

Thats why i put in some of em... Nude descending a stair case... if you didnt check out the picasso link... i would check it out... I dont know if you have seen it, but ist a real awesome pic. I think it might give you a different perspective... of your perspective :wink:  :laugh:

--------------------
What?

Invisiblespud
I'm so fly.

#2680703 - 05/15/04 01:59 AM (12 years, 6 months ago)

well yea thats cubism, it relies more on shapes than colors
i was talking mostly of fauvism, impressionism, and expressionism which rely much on colors

Invisibleniteowl
GrandPaw
Male User Gallery

Loc: Flag
    #2682789 - 05/15/04 04:46 PM (12 years, 6 months ago)

Im "colorblind" too. A better term is "hueblind".

I have taken the color vision test MANY times. I only see the very first image and the very last. I still see colors, I just see them in shades, not bright vivid colors. I can see colors in the stars that other people cant see. I have taken some colorblind friends out with me and my telescope. Colorblind people tend to see beter at night than normal vision people.

Being colorblind shouldnt effect your appreciation(sp) of art.

Invisibleredgreenvines
irregular verb
 User Gallery

#2683105 - 05/15/04 07:01 PM (12 years, 6 months ago)

you will not miss archetypes that are headed your way.
but
you know
archetypes are virtuals
they actually are not in motion so they won't come headed your way and certainly not draped in disguizing colors.
what you might miss is a few picky details, and then only if the people you are involved with want to ride some disability you might choose to reveal.
some love to torment.
that is an archetype to transcend.

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: Scales

General Interest >> Philosophy, Sociology & Psychology