Home | Community | Message Board

World Seed Supply
Please support our sponsors.

General Interest >> Philosophy, Sociology & Psychology

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
InvisibleSwami
Eggshell Walker

Loc: In the hen house
Tripping & Intent
    #1482001 - 04/22/03 12:06 PM (14 years, 12 days ago)

I hear this time and again: Are you tripping for spiritual reasons or just for entertainment? (or some variation thereof)

Do you eat food for entertainment or for nourishment? No matter what your "motivation", your body will process the food EXACTLY the same and provide the same benefits (or detriments).

As your body will digest psychedelic mushrooms exactly the same way as LBMs on your pizza, your "motivation" for ingestion has no bearing on any physiological changes.

Before commenting, please do not confuse mood (angry, sad, depressed), body state (sick, tired, rundown), setting (alone in mountains or wild party) with "motivation".

"But Swami, we are talking about PSYCHOLOGICAL changes."

Sho 'nuff, but I do not see intent as a contributing factor. Do this experiment: measure out two (nearly) identical and relatively high doses from the same batch. Trip alone at the same place, the same time of day, and as near as possible, in the same mindframe, but several weeks apart.

On trip 1 tell yourself, "I am doing this for entertainment." Sit still and note what happens. Immediately afterwards write down your thoughts in a log.

On trip 2 tell yourself, "I am doing this for spiritual purposes." Sit still and note what happens. Immediately afterwards write down your thoughts in a log.

Naturally all trips will be different even given similar conditions, but I will bet there will be no QUALITATIVE difference.

--------------------

The proof is in the pudding.

Edited by Swami (04/22/03 01:12 PM)

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Invisibleperuvian spark
Stranger

Re: Tripping & Intent [Re: Swami]
    #1482076 - 04/22/03 12:48 PM (14 years, 12 days ago)

No matter what my initial intentions are, I always end up in the same place when I eat mushrooms. My conscience guides me to where I need to be no matter where I started from. It's all a matter of opinion though, because some people will always say that mushrooms are spiritual, and some people will always say they aren't. I see eating mushrooms as a good opportunity to learn something about yourself, others, and the world in general, and I choose not to waste it.

--------------------
"The only unchangeable certainty is that nothing is certain and everything is changeable."

OfflineAislingGheal
A wave on the ocean
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Northern Ohio
    #1482133 - 04/22/03 01:15 PM (14 years, 12 days ago)

I agree with what you've written and I'm going to try your experiment just to see what happens, I think it is an excellent idea and I'm curious about the results. I think your bet is safe but we'll see.

--------------------

"I hate having to pick between the lesser of two evils. But I'm glad Obama was elected. McCain was another war monger. I'd rather deal with our country going into debt than trying to take on afghanistan...oh wait FUCK!" - Fungus_tao

Invisiblebuttonion
Calmly Watching

Loc: Kansas
    #1482304 - 04/22/03 02:16 PM (14 years, 12 days ago)

So you want to isolate the ?consciously willed intention? to see if it has any effect on the shrooming experience itself. I can see how at pretty high doses, any intention you began with is pretty much lost in the emotional roller coaster and/or perceptual craziness that ensues. Memory itself is distorted so simply keeping the idea in mind could be next to impossible. And so maybe because the intention is essentially lost (at high doses) it has no causal power. But whenever I do intend to do something specific with my trip, I definitely plan out set and setting appropriately (time of day, music, meditation beforehand, out in nature). Although my ability to make a trip more spiritual or otherwise may be due to the set and setting I have put into place, this is ultimately due to the intention I had prior to ingestion.

--------------------
Concepts which have been proved to be useful in ordering things easily acquire such an authority over us that we forget their human origins and accept them as invariable.- Albert Einstein

OfflineSole_Worthy
Stranger

Loc: over here
    #1482397 - 04/22/03 02:44 PM (14 years, 12 days ago)

Quote:

Trip alone at the same place, the same time of day, and as near as possible, in the same mindframe, but several weeks apart.

There is no way you can recreate set and setting perfectly and as a trip depends on this the experiment is already flawed. Even a slight change may mean the difference between a good and bad trip. How can you recreate mindframe (several weeks apart) my friend?

I think you need to be clearer on the differences, in intention, between the 2 trips.
Surely it is not enough to tell oneself "I am doing this for entertainment" especially as in truth the individual may be hoping for a spiritual experience or vice versa

--------------------
get it all together get like birds of a feather

InvisibleSwami
Eggshell Walker

Re: Tripping & Intent [Re: Sole_Worthy]
    #1482407 - 04/22/03 02:47 PM (14 years, 12 days ago)

There is no way you can recreate set and setting perfectly and as a trip depends on this the experiment is already flawed.

Quite possibly so as I already alluded to. Therefore talking about a spiritual vs. a recreational trip is meaningless would you say?

--------------------

OfflineSole_Worthy
Stranger

#1482412 - 04/22/03 02:51 PM (14 years, 12 days ago)

explain yourself?
Im not being led into a little trap so you can prove a point :tongue:

--------------------

InvisibleSwami
Eggshell Walker

#1482428 - 04/22/03 02:56 PM (14 years, 12 days ago)

Trap?

If a controlled experiment is flawed, then by mere extrapolation, uncontrolled experiments (random trips with various settings) must be even more flawed - thus the whole discussion of intent, which permeates many threads on these boards, is meaningless.

Back to you...

--------------------

OfflineSole_Worthy
Stranger

#1482440 - 04/22/03 03:03 PM (14 years, 12 days ago)

It is not a control experiment though is it...

With my first post on this thread I was saying how you can not recreate an exact set and setting, and as set and setting are so important, your experiment is flawed.

So what have previose discussions on intent concluded?
I fail to see how this proves your point.

--------------------

Invisibletekramrepus
Female User Gallery
    #1482562 - 04/22/03 03:53 PM (14 years, 12 days ago)

Swami, take this into consideration.

Firstly, what you "say" would have no relevance, it is your mindframe. I can say anything I want, but without the mindstate to follow it doesnt much matter. Kind of like being real happy and saying "im miserable" with a big smile on your face....it wont make you miserable.

Secondly, Im not sure I understand the whole post. What is it you are looking for, that is a change based on your intentions before the trip.  You said not mood, or body state.

Are you referring to people asking why someone trips, and saying it doesnt matter at all?

Or are you saying peolpe are thinking there are 2 different types of trippers, spiritual and ones who trip for fun?

If the latter, I understand and can explain.

Someone who trips for fun, although the thoughts and feelings of the trip are identical, MIGHT NOT GET THE SAME OUT OF IT.

Its the same as 2 people fasting. Doing the EXACT SAME FAST, two identical twins. One does it to lose weight, the other one, although the same weight does not care, and does it for a spiritual experience.

The one who does it to lose weight feels great because he lost weight.  The other one feels great because he is "closer to god" and closer to himself, etc.

See what I mean?  The actual trip might be the same, but the interpretation itself is different, how you ANALYZE the trip AFTERWARDS that might matter, or even how you deal with it as it happens.

I think it depends more on person to person however, then on what you say before you trip  :wink:

InvisibleSwami
Eggshell Walker

Re: Tripping & Intent [Re: tekramrepus]
    #1482712 - 04/22/03 04:29 PM (14 years, 12 days ago)

Intent (purpose) should not be confused with interpretation (cultural filter).

--------------------

OfflineStrumpling
Neuronaut
Loc: Hyperspace
    #1482775 - 04/22/03 04:42 PM (14 years, 12 days ago)

I've learned that most of the time on my mushroom trips, regardless of my INTENT going into it, the INTERPRETATION of the experience that follows is usually pretty similar to my other trips.... It seems that no matter what my intent is going into a trip, it changes as soon as I'm actually tripping,and I laugh at myself for thinking that I control the experience..... by the end of the trip I see how pointless it was for me to attempt to focus on one specific objective during the trip - letting it flow seems to make it so much more "devine" than trying to solve one specific problem or get one specific answer about something.

--------------------
Insert an "I think" mentally in front of eveything I say that seems sketchy, because I certainly don't KNOW much. Also; feel free to yell at me.
In addition: SHPONGLE

Edited by Strumpling (04/22/03 04:48 PM)

OfflineAislingGheal
A wave on the ocean
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #1482849 - 04/22/03 05:01 PM (14 years, 12 days ago)

I'm equating intent as an exercise of will and I feel your experiment will possibly shed some light on the matter, so I will not argue semantics. I would not use a high dose either because that would obviously nullify the experiment. Again, this is out of curiosity, why not try it?

"If a controlled experiment is flawed, then by mere extrapolation, uncontrolled experiments (random trips with various settings) must be even more flawed - thus the whole discussion of intent, which permeates many threads on these boards, is meaningless."

Which is why I would want to try it, because I always approach mushrooms with "spiritual intent" and I wonder if redirecting my purpose would alter the experience in any noticeable way.

--------------------

"I hate having to pick between the lesser of two evils. But I'm glad Obama was elected. McCain was another war monger. I'd rather deal with our country going into debt than trying to take on afghanistan...oh wait FUCK!" - Fungus_tao

InvisibleSwami
Eggshell Walker

Re: Tripping & Intent [Re: AislingGheal]
    #1482938 - 04/22/03 05:19 PM (14 years, 12 days ago)

I would not use a high dose either because that would obviously nullify the experiment.

Please explain. 3.5 + grams would seem to me to better than 0.5 grams as lower doses would leave you more access to your normal consciousness and therefore be less valid.

--------------------

OfflineMurex
Reality Hacker

Loc: Traped in a shell.
    #1483197 - 04/22/03 06:58 PM (14 years, 12 days ago)

So you are trying to see if mushrooms just activate parts of the brain at a certian rate and that it would be the same effect both times? That seems like a possability, but this experiment can't possably be 100% accurate imo.

--------------------
What if everything around you
Isn't quite as it seems?
What if all the world you think you know,
Is an elaborate dream?
And if you look at your reflection,
Is it all you want it to be?

InvisibleLallafa
p_g monocle
 User Gallery

Loc: underbelly
    #1483447 - 04/22/03 08:02 PM (14 years, 12 days ago)

i do it for punishment

--------------------
my tax dollars going to more hits of acid for charles manson

OfflineAislingGheal
A wave on the ocean
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #1484117 - 04/22/03 10:37 PM (14 years, 11 days ago)

I was thinking more like 2-3 grams as opposed to 5-6, I want to be functional to some extent. I have to figure out how to internalize the "lets just have fun" intention. If I was tripping with good friends no problem, but I usually trip alone with a spiritual purpose and a particular setting. I want to maintain the solitude and setting and just change the intent. I'll post more on this a little later.

--------------------

Invisiblesilversoul7
Chill the FuckOut!
 User Gallery

Loc: mndfreeze's puppet army
    #1484322 - 04/22/03 11:20 PM (14 years, 11 days ago)

Quote:

I hear this time and again: Are you tripping for spiritual reasons or just for entertainment? (or some variation thereof)

Combination of both.

--------------------

"It is dangerous to be right when the government is wrong."--Voltaire

InvisibleSwami
Eggshell Walker

Re: Tripping & Intent [Re: AislingGheal]
    #1485023 - 04/23/03 02:45 AM (14 years, 11 days ago)

Will be interested in hearing your report as the general consensus (if there is one) is that set & setting are already indicative of intent.

--------------------

InvisibleSclorch
Clyster

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: On the Brink of Madness
    #1485072 - 04/23/03 03:10 AM (14 years, 11 days ago)

Swami: in the same mindframe,
but I will bet there will be no QUALITATIVE difference.

The same mindframe? Is that a typo?
If you have the same mindframe (equiv. to "set"- as in "mindset"), then you won't be able to have a qualitatively different experience.

I think I know what you're saying though... let me try to clarify.

If you're saying
Person with mindset A trips with intent X.
is no different than
Person with mindset A trips with intent Y.

Then I agree that there will be no qualitative difference.

However, most people (when speaking of spiritual vs. entertainment intentions) are speaking of the following:
Person with mindset A trips with intent X.
which is much different than
Person with mindset B trips with intent Y.

At least, that's what I've gathered....

[EDIT: I don't think mindset is necessarily indicative of intent.]

--------------------
Note: In desperate need of a cure...

Edited by Sclorch (04/23/03 03:13 AM)

Jump to top. Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

General Interest >> Philosophy, Sociology & Psychology