Home | Community | Message Board

MagicBag Grow Bags
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.


Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck, Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Ethics question relating to religion
    #9782899 -

Ok, so here's the deal.  I'm talking to this 17yo girl that I met randomly on the net, and it turns out we're from the same religion.  I'm now an atheist and she seems firm but unsure about her convictions.  Since this is basically a stranger and I cannot be sure of the consequences of my actions, would I be ethically obligated to follow my beliefs or to withhold such guidance until I can talk to her more on the phone.

Specifics are irrelevant here.  I thought this situation represented a larger ethical argument, or I would have posted it in the Pub.


--------------------

Discuss Politics

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Ethics question relating to religion [Re: Ferris]
    #9782987 -

if you respect and admire someone
you will let them be unchanged by your formative ideas
discover who they are and help them be themselves.

your religion or lack of it is your personal private path,
you don't need people to join it so as to confirm that you are on the right path.

some people are too uncertain of what they are doing, but they feel better if others are doing it too, you don't want to get like that.


--------------------
:brainfart: _ :finger:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Ethics question relating to religion [Re: Ferris]
    #9783145 -

Only if she brings it up.


--------------------



---------------------

All my posts in this forum are strictly fictional.
They are derived from an acute mental illness , from which i am forced to lie compulsively.
I have never induced any kind of mind altering substance in my life  and i have no intentions whatsoever of doing anything illegal.
If I have ever suggested such a thing it would have most likely been , due to my personality disorder and i probably do not remember it at all..

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Ethics question relating to religion [Re: jivJaN]
    #9783236 -

Say what you want, its conversation.  You have no duty not to offend her.  If you don't want to be a dick I wouldn't preach to her though- which is a very condescending and annoying trait amongst people of both the atheist and religious faiths I've known.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Ethics question relating to religion [Re: johnm214]
    #9784368 -

johnm214 said:
Say what you want, its conversation.  You have no duty not to offend her.  If you don't want to be a dick I wouldn't preach to her though- which is a very condescending and annoying trait amongst people of both the atheist and religious faiths I've known.



I think I'm going to take that advice, it comes off as the one that makes the most sense.

Lake, this is not a ploy for sex, we are talking because it turns out we have a lot in common (mormon religion, bipolar mother, high achiever, etc).  I already made it explicitly clear that I'm not sexually interested in her.  And I do believe I included ethics in the thread title, so I'm one step ahead of ya :wink:

Growing up in the mormon religion is a unique case, so it is something to be bonded over in my opinion.


--------------------

Discuss Politics

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Ethics question relating to religion [Re: redgreenvines]
    #9784406 -

Quote:
you don't need people to join it so as to confirm that you are on the right path.




*Sigh* You just don't get the nature of personal belief.


--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Ethics question relating to religion [Re: OrgoneConclusion]
    #9784427 -

People get so caught up in this whole "Religion" mindset that its damaging. I view religion as something positive. Something that is supposed to enhance your life and give you some positive views. When people view you differently because you follow "______" religion, thats like viewing someone based off the breakfast they ate this morning.


What im trying to say is stop looking so much at this religious aspect and let things unfold. If religion comes up, be honest about your beliefs but just skim the surface of them. She doesnt need to see the whole ice burg :2cents: and if she doesnt like what you say, than there isnt much reason to be dating a critical religious asshat is there


--------------------
Hippies and Liberals love Pope Francis, so why dont I quote him for you guys. "There is NO SALVATION outside the Catholic Church" :morningtoke:

Edited by Almond Flour (02/12/09 11:29 AM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Ethics question relating to religion [Re: OrgoneConclusion]
    #9784428 -

Debating ethics=inconclusive confusion

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Ethics question relating to religion [Re: johnm214]
    #9784740 -

johnm214 said:
Say what you want, its conversation.  You have no duty not to offend her.  If you don't want to be a dick I wouldn't preach to her though- which is a very condescending and annoying trait amongst people of both the atheist and religious faiths I've known.



What this guy said.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Ethics question relating to religion [Re: Ferris]
    #9784807 -

Ferris said:
Ok, so here's the deal.  I'm talking to this 17yo girl that I met randomly on the net, and it turns out we're from the same religion.  I'm now an atheist and she seems firm but unsure about her convictions.  Since this is basically a stranger and I cannot be sure of the consequences of my actions, would I be ethically obligated to follow my beliefs or to withhold such guidance until I can talk to her more on the phone.

Specifics are irrelevant here.  I thought this situation represented a larger ethical argument, or I would have posted it in the Pub.



Do what thou will is the whole of the law.


--------------------
"Don't believe everything you think". -Anom.

" All that lives was born to die"-Anom.

With much wisdom comes much sorrow,
The more knowledge, the more grief.
Ecclesiastes circa 350 BC

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck, Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag


Similar ThreadsPosterViewsRepliesLast post
* More questions about Religion
( 1 2 all )
shroom-girlie 4,239 24 08/07/01 10:50 AM
by CosmicJoke
* religion rant 2Experimental 1,112 12 08/10/03 06:31 AM
by fireworks_god
* Peace and Religion
( 1 2 all )
infidelGOD 1,919 23 01/09/03 10:55 AM
by 3eyedgod
* A question about God...
( 1 2 3 4 all )
JohnnyRespect 6,778 76 05/13/03 11:20 AM
by 3MJ3
* Drugs, and their effect upon Religion... Adamist 1,529 8 10/13/02 01:02 AM
by Xlea321
* Religion and God
( 1 2 3 all )
RandalFlagg 4,361 40 09/19/03 01:49 PM
by Clover
* The ethics of Christian warfare..... upupup 961 7 03/15/03 04:51 AM
by upupup
* Is mysticism as flawed as religion? mirror_saw 1,716 17 08/21/02 06:11 PM
by Sclorch

Extra information
You cannot start new topics / You cannot reply to topics
HTML is disabled / BBCode is enabled
Moderator: Middleman, DividedQuantum
760 topic views. 3 members, 7 guests and 147 web crawlers are browsing this forum.
[ Show Images Only | Sort by Score | Print Topic ]
Search this thread:

Copyright 1997-2026 Mind Media. Some rights reserved.

Generated in 0.021 seconds spending 0.005 seconds on 14 queries.