Home | Community | Message Board

MushroomCube.com
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlineprimitive
why do shrooms produce psilocybin?
    #870411 - 09/08/02 07:15 PM (21 years, 6 months ago)

is it supposed to prevent things from eating them? ive seen pics of bugs eating shrooms

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Invisible905
Stranger

Re: why do shrooms produce psilocybin? [Re: primitive]
    #870420 - 09/08/02 07:23 PM (21 years, 6 months ago)

I saw a show on the discovery channel that said a lot of drugs
people abuse like nicotine are made by the plants to protect it from insects.
Some bugs still eat tabacco plants.

InvisibleXlea321
Stranger
    #870925 - 09/08/02 11:58 PM (21 years, 6 months ago)

Nah, I don't buy the animal defence theory. If that was the case mushrooms with far more effective defence chemicals (ie that kill an animal with one bite) would have wiped out any psilocybin habitats. There are certain animals who choose to eat psilocybin mushrooms.

No-one has any idea really.

--------------------
Don't worry, B. Caapi

Offlinekykeon
Dead wishes

Loc: A universe right next to ...
Re: why do shrooms produce psilocybin? [Re: Xlea321]
    #871067 - 09/09/02 01:33 AM (21 years, 6 months ago)

yeah, i dont like that 'get rid of enemies' theory. after all, there are mushrooms with deadly poisons, so cubbies could have similar poison as well.

i think plants and fungi of Nature's entheogenic garden are meant to help humans in their quest towards perfection. :smile:

Kykeon
athens, greece   

--------------------
The living ghost of Kykeon

OfflineMitchnast
Toadmonger
Male User Gallery

Loc: Okanagan
Re: why do shrooms produce psilocybin? [Re: kykeon]
    #871082 - 09/09/02 01:45 AM (21 years, 6 months ago)

mushrooms production of the seritonin-like psylocybin and simmilar compounds is still unknown, they arent for food production, and arent particularly deadly.
in my oppinion, a mycelial network has the capacity for sentience.
why else would it have so much of a chemical whose sole purpose is that of regulation of perception?
perhaps mushrooms are indeed self aware, yet havennt the means to change their status, simplt stationary growing mass.
or maybe they dream, and in dreams, in microcosm, they are luminous beings. perhaps our consumption of their psilocybin-rich sexual reproductive structures is a window into their internal world of existential ego-free communal thought.
why do they produce psylocybin? hmm, well, why do WE produce chemicals for perception, why indeed does ANYTHING produce such chemicals.
but then maybe they just have them as keys planted my faries for us to find, eat, and learn of mystical creation from.
maybe

Offlinekykeon
Dead wishes

Loc: A universe right next to ...
Re: why do shrooms produce psilocybin? [Re: Mitchnast]
    #871197 - 09/09/02 04:42 AM (21 years, 6 months ago)

>> or maybe they dream, and in dreams, in microcosm, they are luminous beings.

i really love that statement. when i got involved in shroom cultivation i realized that they are no plants, but higher beings. they understand, they feel, they react in my responses...

i like your post, i will print it for friends to read it

PEACE

Kykeon
athens, greece

--------------------
The living ghost of Kykeon

OfflineT0aD
Stranger

#871206 - 09/09/02 05:05 AM (21 years, 6 months ago)

ghett0 lorDZ

--------------------
Cuba Libre

InvisibleLana
Head Banana
Female

Loc: www.MycoSupply.com
Re: why do shrooms produce psilocybin? [Re: Mitchnast]
    #871961 - 09/09/02 08:00 AM (21 years, 6 months ago)

Mitchnast
Very insightful post.  Years ago I read about a theory that was made popular in the Men In Black movie... 

Basically, there is infinite bigness and infinite smallness.  And just because something is big doesn't mean that it contains alot of anything...  Just becuase something is small doesn't mean that it can't hold ALOT of something.  Since size is only determined by ones perspective, a mushroom may look like a huge redwood trees in the eyes of a flea :smile: 

Another example is this.  We mine for gold and silver within the cavities of the earth.    If you were to look at a mushroom as a HUGE entity, you might say that the "gold" inside of a mushroom is the psilocybin. 

....What a statement :smile:  You'd think that I was "mining" right now if you didn't know me better :smile:

Lana

--------------------
Myco Supply - Distributors of Mycological Products
http://www.MycoSupply.com

The Premiere Source for Mushroom Growing Supplies.
Visit us online or call us toll free

Invisible1stimer
Religion=Rape
Loc: Amerika
    #873108 - 09/09/02 05:52 PM (21 years, 6 months ago)

Maybe the psilocybin is supposed to attract animals with its psychoactive effects to eat the shrooms and spread their spores. We were taught in biology that plants produce fruits to attract animals to eat it and disperse the seeds in dung. same concept just instead of eating it for its sweetness mushrooms are eaten for the perception altering.

--------------------
ash dingy donker mo gollyhopper patty popiton rockstop bueno mayo riggedy jig bobber johnathan pattywhacker gogboob t-shirt monkey.

There is such emotion in the distortion.

OfflineDinoMyc
Ipsa scientiapotestas est
    #875143 - 09/10/02 03:27 PM (21 years, 6 months ago)

There is a theory based on the observed fact that psilocin acts as a neurotransmitter, which I shall loosely paraphrase:
The neurotransmitter is for communication on a greater scale than the mushrooms itself, a communication between beings (mushroom and you, mushroom and it's neighbors).. passing memories and information.. The presence of the psilocin in your system allows you to see the world from the mushrooms perspective, and experience its memories; but you have different organs, extra ones.. so your perception is not limited to what the mushroom had.. if one blocks out what ones own organs are saying, and listens to what has been given from the mushroom, the true insights of the mushroom appear..
Incidentally Terence Mckenna's recommended trip set and setting (for insight and change to self) was complete isolation from external sound, visual, and physical disturbances..
the theory explains why natural, living, things appear so, well, alive.. and why man made objects and devices appear bland.. sure, if you only want a laugh you can get it from them.. but the sheer beauty and vastness of everything outside of civilization carries with it a subtly sublime message.. and we are all a part of that world..

--------------------
If I made affront, I apologize.
If I made affirmation, I apologize.
I merely came to listen, came to say.

OfflineBaby_Hitler
Errorist
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: To the limit!
Re: why do shrooms produce psilocybin? [Re: DinoMyc]
    #875604 - 09/10/02 06:54 PM (21 years, 6 months ago)

I've thought about this as well, The Psiloc(yb)in is chemically cabable of acting as a neurotransmitter, and the mycelial network has a resemblance to nerves. I've wondered if it might be possible that the mycelium might be able to use Psiloc(yb)in as a neurotransmitter, giving the fungus a kind of nervous system.

Somebody should stick a casing in a CAT scan machine, and see if it glows. An EEG would be easier to get access to to try to detect any electrochemical activity.

Some slime molds have shown surprising levels of "intelegence" by finding the shortest distance to a food source.

--------------------
"America: Fuck yeah!" -- Alexthegreat

“Nothing can now be believed which is seen in a newspaper. Truth itself becomes suspicious by being put into that polluted vehicle. The real extent of this state of misinformation is known only to those who are in situations to confront facts within their knowledge with the lies of the day.”  -- Thomas Jefferson

The greatest sin of mankind is ignorance.

The press takes [Trump] literally, but not seriously; his supporters take him seriously, but not literally. --Salena Zeto (9/23/16)

OfflineBaby_Hitler
Errorist
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: To the limit!
Re: why do shrooms produce psilocybin? [Re: DinoMyc]
    #875619 - 09/10/02 07:02 PM (21 years, 6 months ago)

--------------------
"America: Fuck yeah!" -- Alexthegreat

“Nothing can now be believed which is seen in a newspaper. Truth itself becomes suspicious by being put into that polluted vehicle. The real extent of this state of misinformation is known only to those who are in situations to confront facts within their knowledge with the lies of the day.”  -- Thomas Jefferson

The greatest sin of mankind is ignorance.

The press takes [Trump] literally, but not seriously; his supporters take him seriously, but not literally. --Salena Zeto (9/23/16)

Edited by Anno (09/11/02 02:50 AM)

Invisibleluvdemshrooms
Two inch dick..but it spins!?
 User Gallery

Loc: Lost In Space
    #877193 - 09/11/02 07:41 AM (21 years, 6 months ago)

In reply to:

why do shrooms produce psilocybin?

For the same reason dogs lick themselves.....
BECAUSE THEY CAN!

--------------------
You cannot legislate the poor into prosperity by legislating the wealthy out of prosperity. What one person receives without working for another person must work for without receiving. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for that my dear friend is the beginning of the end of any nation. You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it. ~ Adrian Rogers

Edited by luvdemshrooms (09/11/02 07:42 AM)

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies