Home | Community | Message Board


This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.


Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

North Spore Shop: Injection Grain Bag, North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Brewing my first lager
    #7454982 -

So yesterday I brewed up my first batch of lager beer. I started brewing about a year and a half ago and after several pretty decent batches of ale I decided to try a lager. I plan on having this beer ready around Jan/Feb if all goes well. Here's the recipe that I used.

-European Pilsner-
6lbs malt extract
8oz Carapils Malt
8oz Crystal 10l Malt
2oz Saaz pelleted hops
Whites Lab liquid Lager/Pilsner yeast
I made my wort following the basic steps- steep grains, add malt extract, boil, add hops, cool, add yeast.

My plan is to brew this beer like this-
1.Leave fermenter at 70F until first signs of fermentation occur (1-3 days)
2.Place fermenter in basement at 55-59 degrees until hydrometer reading shows that fermentation is mostly finished (Probably 3 weeks)
3.Bring fermenter back upstairs at 70F for 48 hours for diacetyl rest.
4.Rack into 5 gallon carboy and lager at 45F for a couple months until clear then I'll either bottle it or put it into a corny keg.

So now I'm just sitting here waiting to see the first bubble come out of the airlock. I've read that lager yeast takes longer to get active than ale yeast so I'm not worried yet. I pitched it at 73F so I don't think I killed it. Wish me luck!!


--------------------
"The only unchangeable certainty is that nothing is certain and everything is changeable."

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Brewing my first lager [Re: peruvian spark]
    #7454985 -

good luck let us know how it goes

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Brewing my first lager [Re: peruvian spark]
    #7456946 -

hell yea! keep us posted

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Brewing my first lager [Re: peruvian spark]
    #7457615 -

OK, I got my first bubbles out of the airlock at about 9pm. I pitched it around 3pm yesterday so there was a 32 hour lag time between pitching and visible fermentation. I put the bucket downstairs to set for a couple weeks at cooler temps. I probably won't update this brew until I rack it into my secondary which might be in 3 weeks or so.

Until then I'm going to be kegging up some English Brown Ale and racking some Double IPA so I'll make another thread and take some pics when the time comes.


--------------------
"The only unchangeable certainty is that nothing is certain and everything is changeable."

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Brewing my first lager [Re: peruvian spark]
    #7462378 -

32 hour lag time is bad. Yeast pitching rates for a lager is about double of what you should pitch for an ale.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Brewing my first lager [Re: daussaulit]
    #7463157 -

I agree. My lag time is usually about 6 hours or less with ale yeast. It seems to be doing fine now, I'll just have to wait and see how it goes.

I got a yeast starter kit finally so I'll be pitching yeast at a much higher rater from now on. I didn't really think I needed to make a starter with White's lab yeast but to get to that 200 billion cell mark you pretty much have to.


--------------------
"The only unchangeable certainty is that nothing is certain and everything is changeable."

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Jump to top Pages: 1

North Spore Shop: Injection Grain Bag, North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies


Similar ThreadsPosterViewsRepliesLast post
* WLP800 pilsner lager yeast question parliament666 1,283 10 08/09/12 08:10 PM
by Heffy
* thinking of brewing oatmeal beer and a few questions about fermenting
( 1 2 3 4 5 6 all )
imachavel 11,546 109 02/25/14 02:44 PM
by Heffy
* Home Brewing Beer
( 1 2 3 4 all )
ElChe 8,676 60 09/30/11 05:47 PM
by guywiththegun
* Old mushmellow's christmas Lager recipe old mushmellow 1,187 6 12/13/08 12:34 PM
by Nature Boy
* Some newbie brewing problems
( 1 2 3 all )
Aiko Aiko 6,384 47 03/12/08 05:56 PM
by GoodbyeOrb
* About to brew my first Lager!
( 1 2 3 all )
Maverick 2,374 48 12/12/13 11:51 AM
by LunarEclipse
* Looking to start brewing wiggles 896 4 03/05/08 09:07 AM
by gema
* Who's brewing something?
( 1 2 all )
fall 3,919 38 09/09/10 05:52 PM
by snoot

Extra information
You cannot start new topics / You cannot reply to topics
HTML is disabled / BBCode is enabled
Moderator: trendal, geokills, feevers
1,188 topic views. 0 members, 0 guests and 14 web crawlers are browsing this forum.
[ Show Images Only | Sort by Score | Print Topic ]
Search this thread:

Copyright 1997-2026 Mind Media. Some rights reserved.

Generated in 0.021 seconds spending 0.004 seconds on 14 queries.