Home | Community | Message Board

Sporeworks
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   North Spore Cultivation Supplies   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Invisibledaussaulit
Forgetful

Loc: Earth
Homebrewing(all-grain)
    #2481320 - 03/29/04 07:16 PM (19 years, 11 months ago)

I've posted up homebrewing with extract(http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php?Cat=&Number=2364913). This time I have it for all-grain to show you how it works. If you have all your equipment prepared and ready it will take you about 4 hours(not all day like that brewstore employee said on that Good Eats episode "Amber Waves"). Again, if you have questions, go to http://www.howtobrew.com
There are many ways, different setups, and equipment, all which will get the job done, this is one of them so you don't have to copy everything exactly. This is a 5 gallon batch of beer.

I think we all know what grain looks like, so here it is being milled.

Here's a close-up of the teeth in the miller.

Here's the milled grain.

Your going to need a lauter tun. Its insulated and this is where the mashing will take place.

This is what the inside looks like.

Here is a false bottom. This will keep the grain from escaping when you drain the tun. Put your false bottom in the tun and fill it up with grain. Then pour water on, 150-170F, and mix so all the grain is wet and it is covered by the water. Put on the lid and let it mash. It will take 60-75 minutes so you can go off watch tv or something. About 30 minutes into the mashing, heat up water(however much you need to fulfil your batch size goal. The water also has to be 150-170F

The mashing is complete. The starches have been converted into sugar for the yeast to digest.

This step is important, fill up pitchers with the wort. Because there are holes, some parts of the milled grain will squeeze through.

Take the pitcher and pour it onto a spoon and back into the tun. You want to be sure you don't just pour it in from the pitcher or it will create a well all the way down to the bottom, defeating the perpose of recirculating in the first place. Recirculating will just compact the grain on top of the false bottom. All the small particles will be poured back on top and will be trapped there because the bigger grain will act as a filter. I suggest doing this until it runs clear and not full of grain chunks. 20 pitcher fulls of wort were recirculated. After it runs clear, the hot water you were heating 30 minutes ago was poured into another bucket and connected to a sparge arm. The bucket was raised and the sparge arm is placed on top of the tun.

The water runs into the arm and flows through many small holes. It also rotates fast. The point of this is to wash all the sugar from the grain, but also not to disturb the natural filter bed the grain made.

Here is a longer exposure of the arm spinning around, you can barely see the tracers of the arm.

While this is going on, you will want to drain your tun into your pot for boiling. Be careful to not drain the tun too fast because you want to make sure the grain is covered with water at all times. My suggestion is a 6.5 gallon pot to put your wort in because you want to make sure all the sugars are completely washed out. It is very dark right now(again depending on style and grains you use, it will be different colors), and will eventually lighten to nearly water, a good indication that you have drained out all the sugars.

After your pot has your desired wort volume, begin heating and bring to a boil. Do your hop additions and what not.

About 30 minutes before your going to be done boiling the hops, I suggest taking a few teaspoons of Irish Moss and hydrate in some water. Pour into the wort 15 minutes before your done boiling the hops. Irish Moss is a clarifying agent. It will cause protein to clump together and fall to the bottom of the beer as it fermets, clearing it up.

This is a wort chiller, and thats what its suppose to do. Chill the wort so your yeast won't be killed when you pitch it. This is your basic wort chiller, they can get a lot more complicated and efficient, but this one works great too.

Put this into the put about the same time your are going to pour in the irish moss to boil and sanitize the wort chiller.

Here is the wort chiller hard at work. You screw one end into the faucet and turn on the water. It works best in the winter when there is very cold water coming out of the faucet. The cold water flows through the chiller, heat from the wort is transfered through the copper into the water and then comes out of the other end. As this is running, and you touch the pot, you will notice the bottom part is fairly cold, and the top part of the pot is probably very hot. You should wait until the entire pot is cool before you transfer it to your fermentor.

This time I'm using a glass carboy. The funnel has a fine filter in it to catch particles that may have slipped through the false bottom.

If you want to know what the alcohol content of your beer will be, take a hydrometer reading by taking a sample of the beer, pouring it into a graduated cylinder, and then put in the hydrometer.

Plug the carboy with a sanitized bung. Shake well. You want to aerate the wort for the yeast, because all the oxygen was boiled out. The air inside the carboy will be plenty.

This is a yeast starter. It has water that was boiled with some dried malt extract, cooled and pitched with the yeast you want to use. This can be done up to 2 to 3 days before you plan to brew. The point of a started is to have more yeast when you pitch. This ensures a quick, vigorous, and complete fermentation. Its about the equivalent of pitching 8 tubes of yeast. It is a very good idea to make one for whatever your brewing. The list of benefits is long and you can google it to find out.

After your wort is down at the right temperature, pitch the yeast. Give it a swirl to get out all the yeast that has settled on the bottom. Replace bung on carboy and shake vigorously.

Here it is, ready to go. All you have to do it put on an airlock.

Just cover it in a black trash bag or store in a cool dark place, and let it ferment.

Enjoy everyone.

Edited by daussaulit (03/07/05 01:56 PM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinevermonster
Lost Sailor

Loc: Shangri La
Re: Homebrewing(all-grain) [Re: daussaulit]
    #2528633 - 04/05/04 05:38 PM (19 years, 11 months ago)

Wow! I've been lurking on some of the homebrew forums
(forums.homebrew.com) and have never seen a pictorial
as informative as yours :thumbup:
This and your extract thread need to be made sticky so all
can see!
BTW, what was the recipe?

--------------------

Invisibledaussaulit
Forgetful

Re: Homebrewing(all-grain) [Re: vermonster]
    #2529728 - 04/05/04 10:13 PM (19 years, 11 months ago)

It was a brown ale. This was done at my friend's homebrew store(he owns one). Its his woman's favorite kind, so he made it for her. I'm not sure if I'll be able to get the recipe, but I'll try if you want me to.

Offlinevermonster
Lost Sailor

#2532270 - 04/06/04 04:09 PM (19 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

daussaulit said:
It was a brown ale. This was done at my friend's homebrew store(he owns one). Its his woman's favorite kind, so he made it for her. I'm not sure if I'll be able to get the recipe, but I'll try if you want me to.

Nah, thanks for asking tho!

--------------------

Offlinevermonster
Lost Sailor

#2535918 - 04/07/04 04:13 PM (19 years, 11 months ago)

What's the fitting on the false bottom for? Is that the side that
would go up towards the mash or down in the wort?

--------------------

Invisibledaussaulit
Forgetful

#2546761 - 04/10/04 04:45 PM (19 years, 11 months ago)

The false bottom is dome shaped. The fitting would be on the top of the "dome". The fitting is on top and goes toward the mash. When you are sparging, the grain rests on the false bottom, the weight of the water forces the wort throught the holes into the bottom, up into the fitting, and out of the tun. If you scroll up and look at the picture of the inside of the tun, you take that tubing and put it on the fitting in the false bottom.

Offlinevermonster
Lost Sailor

#2547489 - 04/10/04 10:35 PM (19 years, 11 months ago)

Thanks daussaulit,

Makes sense to me now!

--------------------

OfflineAnjing
journeyman

#3882716 - 03/07/05 01:33 PM (19 years, 16 days ago)

Kick ass! I too have looked for a good all grainer pictorial. And I too have heard the process takes all day. Doesn't look so bad. I'm sure the first time will take a while though (took me 5 hrs with the extract!).

Thanks again!
5 stars!

OfflineIts Pat
Still kicking
 User Gallery

Loc: THAT MAKES ME BETTER THAN YOU
    #3889659 - 03/08/05 09:09 PM (19 years, 15 days ago)

Damn you do all grain? Like WOW!

I had the patience to do all grain but never assembled all the necessary equipment to do so. That is why I would always do straight malt extract brewing.

Also Big up to the Person with the Murphy's Irish Stout, I also like Beamish too, prefer both over Guinness.

--------------------

BigUpRadio
WorldReggaeShow
DreaderThanDread - Listen!
(druqs said) don't get arsey, just get RC.

OfflineJfisher
fungusaficionado
 User Gallery

Loc: Sealand
Re: Homebrewing(all-grain) [Re: Its Pat]
    #5402770 - 03/15/06 10:10 AM (18 years, 8 days ago)

Tip: If you're lazy and have a fermenter with a larger opening than one of those glass carboys, you can pour in a third of the wort, pitch the yeast, and then pour the rest in. This will aerate your wort and mix up your yeast.

--------------------
Any information written above is purely fictional.
Any images do not belong to the owner of this account.

OfflineTheCow
Stranger

Re: Homebrewing(all-grain) [Re: Its Pat]
    #5403819 - 03/15/06 02:38 PM (18 years, 8 days ago)

Quote:

Its Pat said:
Also Big up to the Person with the Murphy's Irish Stout, I also like Beamish too, prefer both over Guinness.

Yea I agree, but I really like Samuel Smith's Oatmeal Stout, quite delicious. Also theres some stout with the word breakfast in the name, I cant remember who makes it, but really amazing stuff.

InvisibleA3eyedfish
mycophile
 User Gallery

Loc: Wut some people Call Par...
Re: Homebrewing(all-grain) [Re: TheCow]
    #5471810 - 04/02/06 06:38 PM (17 years, 11 months ago)

Wow, i thought i had it going on back in my brewing days, i never did go to all grain, i had collected 3 kegs & had the plans to convert that to an all grain gig, but had to sell everything long time back. Good to see the spirt is alive.

Yeah, thank god for homosexuallity, lol, sure yeah man, as long as it is one chick licking another chick while my 5 o'clock shadow chafes chick # 2 while i lick her at that same moment, jah mon, thank the girl on girl action

--------------------

Edited by A3eyedfish (08/10/07 08:14 PM)

Invisibledaussaulit
Forgetful

Re: Homebrewing(all-grain) [Re: TheCow]
    #5471952 - 04/02/06 07:10 PM (17 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

TheCow said:
Also theres some stout with the word breakfast in the name, I cant remember who makes it, but really amazing stuff.

There's over a dozen beers with the word breakfast in the name. The most popular and most soughtafter stouts is Founders Breakfast Stout, from Founders Brewing Company. I've been dying to get some, but have never seen it.

Offlinelequebecfume
iCannibinoid
Male User Gallery

Loc: Québec
    #7253630 - 08/02/07 10:52 PM (16 years, 7 months ago)

Nice Brew pictoral, thanks Daussalit, have to love a woman that love the dark brews.

Guiness with rashers, potates and eggs that is breakfast !

Was for me in Ireland, daily.

LEQ

InvisibleAsante
Omnicyclion prophet
Male User Gallery

#7259777 - 08/04/07 05:07 PM (16 years, 7 months ago)

Excellent tek and pictorial. Respect man :thumbup:

--------------------
Omnicyclion.org
higher knowledge starts here

Invisiblexrommy
portable back garden

Folding@home Statistics
    #10262821 - 04/30/09 02:04 PM (14 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

daussaulit said:
Quote:

TheCow said:
Also theres some stout with the word breakfast in the name, I cant remember who makes it, but really amazing stuff.

There's over a dozen beers with the word breakfast in the name.  The most popular and most soughtafter stouts is Founders Breakfast Stout, from Founders Brewing Company.  I've been dying to get some, but have never seen it.

mmmmmm founders brewery.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   North Spore Cultivation Supplies   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom