Home | Community | Message Board

Avalon Magic Plants
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   North Spore Cultivation Supplies

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
Invisibledaussaulit
Forgetful

Loc: Earth
Homebrewing (non all-grain) *complete*
    #2364913 - 02/21/04 05:59 PM (20 years, 1 month ago)

Here's a cliff notes version on homebrewing. There's tons of resources out on the internet and if you bought a recipe from a homebrew store, they'll give you directions too. Just wanted to show you guys how easy it is to make fairly good beer, and none of that Mr. Beer shit. Any questions about brewing? http://www.howtobrew.com/

Get some drinking water(or if the tap water tastes good, I guess you can use that) and heat it up in a stainless steel(not aluminum) pot. You will need 7 gallons of drinking water or 6 gallons of drinking water and a 7lb bag of ice. You will lose water from evaporation when your brewing, and extra water will be needed to rise off equipment. This is for a 5 gallon batch of beer.

Get your wort bucket and fill it up with hot water and add a few tablespoons of bleech. Anything thats going to touch the wort, sanitize it. After your equipment is sanitized, dump out the water and rinse it with a little drinking water.

Once the water temperature is between 150-155F, then its time to steep your specialty grains.

If you want bland beer, you can omit this.

Put it in a mesh bag and tie it off. Let it steep for 20-30 minutes.

Depending on the grains you use, the color will vary.

The temperature of the water is plenty hot, so you can dump in the malt right now. Make sure its off the heat, you don't want the malt to burn. This is liquid malt extract.

Bring it up to a boil. Watch it carefully. There maybe some foam from the proteins in the grain, but it will denature and dissapate in a few minutes. Don't let it boil over.

Get your hops, and put them in a mesh bag(or you can just dump it in and strain it out later). Don't tie it too tightly, make sure its loose and lots of water can flow through. Toss it in and boil it however the directions say. 60 minutes for bittering, 10 minutes for flavor, and 5 minutes for aroma.

After your done with the hopping, you now need to cool the wort. You can use a wort chiller, submerge the pot in icy water, or use ice(generally not recommended, but if your not willing to put in the time use ice made from clean, purified water, not from your freezer). Add water up to the 5 gallon marker(if the container has one). Make sure the temperature of the wort is between 70-75F, or you will have less viable yeast.

Here's the yeast. Ready to pitch, just give it a shake. Follow the directions on the tube. If your using dried yeast, sprinkle over the wort, and stir with a sanitized spoon.
http://www.shroomery.org/forums/dopictur...451-airlock.jpg
Put the airlog in the gromet on the lid, fill with water and put the cap on. Let it ferment for 7-10 days.

One week has passed and now the wort is ready to be bottled.

Water and Corn sugar has been boiled in water. This will be added for the carbonation.

Dump the sugar water in your secondary bucket and transfer the wort from the primary. To start the transfer, I suggest filling the tube with water and letting gravity do the work. Never put your mouth on the tube.

This is what is left in the primary fermenting bucket. Yeast, a layer 1 inch thick.

I sterilized these bottles by baking them at 450F for an hour. There's other ways to do this, but i find that this is the most convenient.

Then transfer from the secondary to the bottles.

Cap the bottles.

I put them in boxes, and covered them in garbage bags(in the tiny chance that the bottle explodes, the mess will be contained in the bag). A perfect temperature for aging would be 70, because its an ale. I'll see you in 2 weeks.

I ran out of room to upload on the shroomery server, so I linked the rest of the pictures from another server.

Sure some of the steps are ommited(ie gravity sample), but the general idea is there. Depending on your setup and available equipment.
I'll post more pictures when I'm at the next step. I hope you guys enjoy it.

Edited by daussaulit (03/04/04 11:22 PM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinem0rb
mushroom mobster

Loc: New England
Re: Homebrewing (non all-grain) [Re: daussaulit]
    #2366969 - 02/22/04 04:20 AM (20 years, 30 days ago)

Nice work man! Cant wait for the next step.

-m0rb-

--------------------
"The business of America is business," - Calvin Coolidge

InvisibleTODAY
Battletoad
Male

Loc: Metropolis City, USA
    #2372718 - 02/23/04 03:51 PM (20 years, 29 days ago)

:beer:...bookmarked!

oh yeah...what does "non all-grain" mean?

--------------------

ca'rouse (k-rouz)
intr.v.
To engage in boisterous, drunken merrymaking.

OfflineHagbardCeline
Student-Teacher-Student-Teacher
Male User Gallery

Loc: Overjoyed, at the bottom ...
    #2372862 - 02/23/04 04:28 PM (20 years, 29 days ago)

Quote:

Get your wort bucket and fill it up with hot water and add a few tablespoons of bleech. Anything thats going to touch the wort, sanitize it.

And this is going to be the same water you use to brew?  Is that safe? :confused:

--------------------
I keep it real because I think it is important that a highly esteemed individual such as myself keep it real lest they experience the dreaded spontaneous non-existance of no longer keeping it real. - Hagbard Celine

OfflineKremlin
life in E minor
Male User Gallery

Loc: /export/home/Kremlin
Re: Homebrewing (non all-grain) [Re: HagbardCeline]
    #2372947 - 02/23/04 05:00 PM (20 years, 29 days ago)

I'm about to start doing this later this month.

In response to Hagbard, yes its safe to use the bleech.

dassault, have you seen the good eats episode on home brewing? Im going to be following that, although i have a page bkmarked somewhere that talks about a few of the steps needing to be changed.

I'm lookin to change the recipe into a Dark Ale (Negra Modeloish would be my preference) -- any suggestions?

--Krem

--------------------
"Human suffering has been caused because all too many of us cannot grasp that words are only tools for our use, and that the mere presence of a word in the dictionary does not mean it necessarily refers to something definitive in the real world"
--Richard Dawkins, "The Selfish Gene"

"It is the mind which creates the world about us, and even though we stand side by side in the same meadow, my eyes will never see what is beheld by yours."
-George Gissing

"Without a firm idea of himself and the purpose of his life, man cannot live, and would sooner destroy himself than remain on earth, even if he was surrounded by bread."
--Fyodor Dostoevsky

OfflineKremlin
life in E minor
Male User Gallery

Loc: /export/home/Kremlin
    #2372950 - 02/23/04 05:01 PM (20 years, 29 days ago)

in fact, now that i think of it, i think you were the one who posted about the good eats one being wrong, because i got that same website you are using from this board :P

haha

--Krem

--------------------
"Human suffering has been caused because all too many of us cannot grasp that words are only tools for our use, and that the mere presence of a word in the dictionary does not mean it necessarily refers to something definitive in the real world"
--Richard Dawkins, "The Selfish Gene"

"It is the mind which creates the world about us, and even though we stand side by side in the same meadow, my eyes will never see what is beheld by yours."
-George Gissing

"Without a firm idea of himself and the purpose of his life, man cannot live, and would sooner destroy himself than remain on earth, even if he was surrounded by bread."
--Fyodor Dostoevsky

Invisibledaussaulit
Forgetful

Re: Homebrewing (non all-grain) [Re: HagbardCeline]
    #2373171 - 02/23/04 06:14 PM (20 years, 29 days ago)

Quote:

HagbardCeline said:
Quote:

Get your wort bucket and fill it up with hot water and add a few tablespoons of bleech. Anything thats going to touch the wort, sanitize it.

And this is going to be the same water you use to brew?  Is that safe? :confused:

Nope, sorry if i didn't make it clear.  The bleach water is suppose to sterilize anything the wort will touch.  You throw the water away after your done sanitizing.  You should use drinking water for homebrewing, unless you have really badass water like in the NYC area.  Also rinse the bucket and the lid with a little drinking water before you pour in the wort.  I'll make some changes to my post.

Quote:

Kremlin said:
in fact, now that i think of it, i think you were the one who posted about the good eats one being wrong, because i got that same website you are using from this board :P

haha

--Krem

That was me.

Invisibledaussaulit
Forgetful

Re: Homebrewing (non all-grain) [Re: TODAY]
    #2373230 - 02/23/04 06:35 PM (20 years, 29 days ago)

Quote:

TODAY said:oh yeah...what does "non all-grain" mean?

There's two different types of home-brewing, extract and all-grain. Using extract will not make the beer taste nearly as good as an all-grain beer because you don't have flavor control. There are over 30 different kinds of grains you can use in many combinations, but there are less than 10 different types of malt extract.
The only thing thats different is a you make your own malt.
Malt comes from many sources, but the primary would be barley. The barley seed is hard as a stone. It must be malted so you can get the sugars out. The barley is wet and allowed the germinate. During this time the seed changes, full of enzymes and converts the starches into sugar. The seed will use this sugar to grow. Sprouts will come from the seed, but at this point, we want the sugar for the beer, not for the plant to grow leaves. So its dried out in a kiln and roasted. Different roasting times yield different color and flavor.

So you go to your homebrew store, and you buy the malted grains. It must be cracked and then you have to mash it(get the sugars out). Depending on the beer, you steep the grains in hot water, 150-170F(has to be maintained) for about an hour. Enzymes in the grain convert the starch into sugar. You then sparge with 150-170F water to get all the sugars out. Then from here is the same, boil and add hops, etc, etc.

This would be more advanced, needing more equipment and more time, but well worth it.

InvisibleTODAY
Battletoad
Male

Loc: Metropolis City, USA
    #2377822 - 02/26/04 12:41 AM (20 years, 27 days ago)

thanks a ton mang...i can't wait to try it!

--------------------

ca'rouse (k-rouz)
intr.v.
To engage in boisterous, drunken merrymaking.

Invisibledaussaulit
Forgetful

#2389932 - 03/01/04 12:24 AM (20 years, 23 days ago)

If your getting interested in homebrewing and are going to follow the steps that Alton Brown goes through in his Good Eats episode "Amber Waves", tt has been brought to my attention that there were even more mistakes that I overlooked.

When he dumped in his specialty grains, his water was cold and decided to heat it up. You want to have the water at around 155F first, before you dump any specialty grains in. Also, never ever let the specialty grains reach a temperature higher than 170F. In the episode, he just let the grains boil and boil while he added the malt extract and hops. That is something you should never do, because you'll extract a lot of unwanted tannins in the specialty grains. Also 20-30 minutes is plenty of time to extract the flavor. No need to let it sit in the water and boil for over an hour like Alton did.

Invisibledaussaulit
Forgetful

Re: Homebrewing (non all-grain) *complete* [Re: daussaulit]
    #2405033 - 03/04/04 11:22 PM (20 years, 19 days ago)

Completed. I'll put up another picture of the beer, cold and in a mug in 2 weeks. I hope you guys enjoyed this.

Invisiblespudamore
Stranger
Male
Loc: Australia
    #2416206 - 03/10/04 05:19 PM (20 years, 13 days ago)

what a crappy setup up i don't know why anybody would want to use bottles. to time consuming. i spent the extra money on kegs and a fridge with a tap. you also forgot the double filter the wort and beer finings

--------------------
suicide a permanent solution to a temporary problem

Invisibleshriek

#2416275 - 03/10/04 05:39 PM (20 years, 13 days ago)

great post :smile: 5 mushies to you

Invisibledaussaulit
Forgetful

Re: Homebrewing (non all-grain) *complete* [Re: spudamore]
    #2419203 - 03/11/04 01:06 PM (20 years, 12 days ago)

Why would you say something like that? If you have a nice setup, why don't you indulge us. It is a low end setup, but I don't have the money to invest in kegs and tanks. There is also a very good reason to use bottles, if your going to submit it into a beer brewing contest, but I guess you wouldn't know anything about that. Also why would i want to double filter my wort? The hops were in bags.

and btw, it's "too time consuming". learn some grammar.

Offlinedjsoy
seeks the truth!
Male

Loc: CA - 805,818,808
Re: Homebrewing (non all-grain) *complete* [Re: spudamore]
    #2440786 - 03/16/04 07:23 PM (20 years, 7 days ago)

Quote:

spudamore said:
what a crappy setup up i don't know why anybody would want to use bottles. to time consuming. i spent the extra money on kegs and a fridge with a tap. you also forgot the double filter the wort and beer finings

what a biutch, give the man some props. damn aussie! put a little shrimp on the barbie aye!

--------------------
"The purpose of our lives is to be happy. " - Dalai Lama

Offlinedaba
Stranger
 User Gallery

#2445512 - 03/17/04 10:46 PM (20 years, 6 days ago)

:beer: I'll be making this when I have the chance.

--------------------
Fold for The Shroomery!

Offlinevermonster
Lost Sailor

Loc: Shangri La
Re: Homebrewing (non all-grain) *complete* [Re: daba]
    #2528674 - 04/05/04 05:46 PM (19 years, 11 months ago)

How about a recipe exchange thread? This weekend I'll
post a ProMash recipe I'd like to try for this:

--------------------

Invisibledaussaulit
Forgetful

Re: Homebrewing (non all-grain) *complete* [Re: vermonster]
    #2529724 - 04/05/04 10:12 PM (19 years, 11 months ago)

I think I've lost the recipe already. This one wasn't that good anyways. It was a Irish Red if I didn't mention it already.

Offlinevermonster
Lost Sailor

Loc: Shangri La
    #2547519 - 04/10/04 10:42 PM (19 years, 11 months ago)

Murphy's Stout:

A ProMash Recipe Report

BJCP Style and Style Guidelines
-------------------------------

16-A Stout, Dry Stout

Min OG: 1.035 Max OG: 1.050
Min IBU: 30 Max IBU: 50
Min Clr: 35 Max Clr: 90 Color in SRM, Lovibond

Recipe Specifics
----------------

Batch Size (Gal): 5.00 Wort Size (Gal): 5.00
Total Grain (Lbs): 6.60
Anticipated OG: 1.046 Plato: 11.32
Anticipated SRM: 35.3
Anticipated IBU: 39.6
Brewhouse Efficiency: 30 %
Wort Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Pre-Boil Amounts
----------------

Evaporation Rate: 15.00 Percent Per Hour
Pre-Boil Wort Size: 5.88 Gal
Pre-Boil Gravity: 1.039 SG 9.68 Plato

Formulas Used
-------------

Brewhouse Efficiency and Predicted Gravity based on Method #1, Potential Used.
Final Gravity Calculation Based on Points.
Hard Value of Sucrose applied. Value for recipe: 46.2100 ppppg
Yield Type used in Gravity Prediction: Fine Grind Dry Basis.

Color Formula Used: Morey
Hop IBU Formula Used: Rager

Grain/Extract/Sugar

% Amount Name Origin Potential SRM
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
7.6 0.50 lbs. Chocolate Malt Great Britain 1.034 475
6.1 0.40 lbs. Roasted Barley Great Britain 1.029 575
3.0 0.20 lbs. Crystal 55L Great Britian 1.034 55
60.6 4.00 lbs. Muntons LME - Light England 1.037 5
15.2 1.00 lbs. Muntons DME - Light England 1.046 5
7.6 0.50 lbs. Cane Sugar Generic 1.046 0

Potential represented as SG per pound per gallon.

Hops

Amount Name Form Alpha IBU Boil Time
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
0.25 oz. Goldings - E.K. Whole 4.75 1.4 15 min.
1.00 oz. Wye Target Whole 9.50 38.1 45 min.

Yeast
-----

WYeast 1084 Irish Ale

--------------------

InvisibleHELLA_TIGHT
Madge the Smoking Vag
Female User Gallery
Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Afghanistan Flag
Re: Homebrewing (non all-grain) *complete* [Re: vermonster]
    #2552987 - 04/13/04 12:00 AM (19 years, 11 months ago)

I just started this about a week ago. Its bottling time tomorrow. Is there a place where I could find recipes for micro brewery beer (like Arrogant Bastard Ale)?

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   North Spore Cultivation Supplies