Home | Community | Message Board

Kratom Eye
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore Bulk Substrate   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   OlympusMyco.com Olympus Myco All-in-One Grow Bags   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinedalorean
Loc: AZ
EXPERIMENT: cotton balls in replace of vermiculite
    #701447 - 06/25/02 05:44 PM (21 years, 9 months ago)

the only reason i post this here is because it is an undergoing experiment done w/ the knowledge of past processes(i'll try not to sound too scientific here:)). well, i am using the 9er tek(whole brown rice) and i have no vermiculite at the moment, but still wanted to start a couple jars, since my parakeet seed jars went bad. so i had the idea to use cotton balls in replacement of the top layer of vermiculite. so far its been two days, and no sign of anything. but i will keep this post updated to let you know how it goes, for those who might be looking for a substitute for the top vermiculite layer. so far only drawback is the needle won't go through the cotton, so the needle has to be worked along the side of the jar, which leaves an opening for possible contaminents. but i thought it might be a fun experiment. i'll keep this post updated.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinecanid
irregular meat sprocket
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: looking for zeebras, n. c...
Re: EXPERIMENT: cotton balls in replace of vermiculite [Re: dalorean]
    #701526 - 06/25/02 06:09 PM (21 years, 9 months ago)

it'll take longer than two days, just be patient (i know it sucks) i believe others have tried this with limited success. i think the needle being too short might be a problem if the cotton absorbs the spore solution. at any rate keep posted and let us know if you have success.

--------------------

Attn PWN hunters: If you should come across a bluing Psilocybe matching P. pellicolusa please smell it.
If you detect a scent reminiscent of Anethole (anise) please preserve a specimen or two for study and please PM me.

OfflineDinoMyc
Ipsa scientiapotestas est
    #703100 - 06/26/02 03:31 PM (21 years, 9 months ago)

I'm debating closeing this thread, this is really not advanced.
..polyfill filters are an option and well documented.

--------------------
If I made affront, I apologize.
If I made affirmation, I apologize.
I merely came to listen, came to say.

Offlinedalorean
Re: EXPERIMENT: cotton balls in replace of vermiculite [Re: DinoMyc]
    #703513 - 06/26/02 05:39 PM (21 years, 9 months ago)

whats wrong with it? this is the best forum for the topic. thats kinda fuct up to just delete someones efforts cuz you think you're too good for it. let it be.
no sign of germination yet, but no sign of contaminants either, which is a good thing. still too early to tell.

OfflineDinoMyc
Ipsa scientiapotestas est
    #703715 - 06/26/02 06:57 PM (21 years, 9 months ago)

as you can see I did not close the topic..
rather than a layer of cotton, you should try polyfill (or even cotton - so long as it survives the pc'ing intact and will trap particles effectively) pulled through a hole in the lid, as documented elsewhere (use the search fn).. look into other grain tek's or read up on the subject (TMC & GGMM, Staments and Chilton) ... 9er is demonstrated with a synthetic filter.. verm is not really required..
I left this open because I think your heart was in the right place, and you stated that you were experimenting, which is allways a good sign.
My original reponse was curt, but please look around a little more next time first.
oh, and, especially in this forum, don't try to be unscientific: the more exact and specific you can be, the better.

--------------------
If I made affront, I apologize.
If I made affirmation, I apologize.
I merely came to listen, came to say.

Offlinedalorean
Re: EXPERIMENT: cotton balls in replace of vermiculite [Re: DinoMyc]
    #703783 - 06/26/02 07:23 PM (21 years, 9 months ago)

thanks. also when screwing on the lid the prickies catch the cotton and twist it also so it is rather a pain. i got an idea. delete this now, and if i get success then i can repost stating "cotton in replace of vermiculite-SUCCESS!!!!" i like that better!! thats what i was gonna do first but got excited. so delete it. everyone's got the idea any who!!!!!!!!

Invisibleangryshroom
Stranger
 User Gallery

#703917 - 06/26/02 08:16 PM (21 years, 9 months ago)

Are you talking about using cotton inside your jars as in, mixed up with your substrate, or just using it as a ramsey seal replacement for vermeculite?

Im confused.

Offlinecanid
irregular meat sprocket
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: looking for zeebras, n. c...
Re: EXPERIMENT: cotton balls in replace of vermiculite [Re: angryshroom]
    #704018 - 06/26/02 08:50 PM (21 years, 9 months ago)

angry, i'm pretty sure he was talking about using it like a ramsey seal:

...in replacement of the top layer of vermiculite...

--------------------

Attn PWN hunters: If you should come across a bluing Psilocybe matching P. pellicolusa please smell it.
If you detect a scent reminiscent of Anethole (anise) please preserve a specimen or two for study and please PM me.

Offlinedalorean
Re: EXPERIMENT: cotton balls in replace of vermiculite [Re: canid]
    #704983 - 06/27/02 08:18 AM (21 years, 9 months ago)

yes! the ramsay seal. i have signs of germination and it is looking very healthy, no contamination, i think this will be a success! just use 4 cottonballs(jumbo). i even took off the lid of one on purpose to tuck the cotton around and all the jars are looking nice and healthy. i can say that cottonballs is a healthy replacement.

InvisibleBillyGrass

#706229 - 06/27/02 05:25 PM (21 years, 9 months ago)

What exactly is meant by sucess in this situation? Is it sucess that the mycelium is growing without contamination? Mycelium can grow without contamination with no barrier at all. Is it a success just because it worked this time? Does adding a layer of cotton increase the mycelium's chances that it will not be contaminated by other organisms? Does it increase these chances better than other methods, already proven to be highly effective? Is it worth replacing these other methods? Are you sure the cotton deserves the praise, or are other factors present that might not have been considered in this experiment? How hardcore is your science? IMHO, this is a beginner experiment that belongs in the regular Mushroom Cultivation forum. But don't dismiss the regular forum. It contains very useful info.

Edited by BillyGrass (06/27/02 05:31 PM)

Offlinedalorean
Re: EXPERIMENT: cotton balls in replace of vermiculite [Re: BillyGrass]
    #707430 - 06/28/02 08:07 AM (21 years, 9 months ago)

it works! thats all that matters to me, good billie boy. no. its not scientific. it does belong in a beginners section. but it works for people who don't have vermiculite, like me at the moment. so that is a Big +. to most this is a stupid and pointless "experiment". but i'm proud of it cuz its my first. there shall be many more to follow as my expertise grows, but one will never forget their first. i'm happy. and thats all that matters! i hope others can benefit for this too.

Invisibleangryshroom
Stranger
 User Gallery

#707470 - 06/28/02 08:27 AM (21 years, 9 months ago)

hehe wooo hoo!

OfflineGWAR
Scumdog of theUniverse
 User Gallery

Loc: Antarctica
    #708189 - 06/28/02 02:14 PM (21 years, 9 months ago)

sounds cool.. im thinking of maybe trying this cottenball trick, got any tips?

--------------------

"Freedom to all the people... Brave, true and strong... Freedom to all the people... Unless I think you're wrong!!!"

Offlinedalorean
Re: EXPERIMENT: cotton balls in replace of vermiculite [Re: GWAR]
    #708401 - 06/28/02 04:00 PM (21 years, 9 months ago)

really? wow! what i did was use 4 jumbo cottonballs and smoosh them together over your substrate. just make sure that your lid, where the holes were punched, doesn't have any snaggle from the nail punching through. make sure its all smooth so it doesn't catch on the cotton, otherwise it will twist the cottonballs around and possibly gap them. good luck with it! i know its working for me!

OfflineGWAR
Scumdog of theUniverse
 User Gallery

#708457 - 06/28/02 04:16 PM (21 years, 9 months ago)

thanks a lot! ill probably be trying this soon, and ill defenitly let you know how it goes.

--------------------

"Freedom to all the people... Brave, true and strong... Freedom to all the people... Unless I think you're wrong!!!"

Offlinevatoloco
Puppet Hunter -DBK
Post deleted by MOE THE MAD SCIENTIST [Re: dalorean]
    #708788 - 06/28/02 05:57 PM (21 years, 9 months ago)

Offlinedalorean
Re: EXPERIMENT: cotton balls in replace of vermiculite [Re: vatoloco]
    #711063 - 06/29/02 12:15 PM (21 years, 9 months ago)

the bottom half is visibly wet, but doesn't seem too soggy. yes, vermiculite goes like milk through kitty cats(thats for YOU, vato!). but i have plenty of cotton laying around(for now) to last for a while. + it is cheaper. less messy.

Offline_Lucid_
journeyman
 User Gallery
Loc: no-mans land
    #712793 - 06/30/02 08:30 AM (21 years, 9 months ago)

well, the only reason i can see to use vermiculite in the first place is if you are doing the PF tek, and you are mixing verm into your substrate. It just makes it simple to use a dry top layer of vermiculite. If your doing grain or something else, use polyfil in a single hole in the lid of a pint jar, or similar setup. Cotton? wtf, that shit is used with rubbing alcohol for sterilization. I guess its fun to try zanny stuff just for the fun and hell of it, but yeah, its already been said it doesnt belong in the advanced forum. I say along with the proposed "outdoor" forum, a second new one called the "fucking around" forum be created for stuff such as this.

GWAR:
>sounds cool.. im thinking of maybe trying this cottenball trick, got any tips?
Yeah, matter of fact i do, dont do it. use polyfil instead, look around, there are well documented teks on it. or if you insist on using cotton, use it like you would polyfil, dont use it like you would the dry verm layer, thats just crazyness.

--------------------
The believer is happy, the doubter is wise
- Hungarian proverb

Offlinedalorean
Re: EXPERIMENT: cotton balls in replace of vermiculite [Re: _Lucid_]
    #713521 - 06/30/02 03:41 PM (21 years, 9 months ago)

it works. that aint crazy. i think youre crazy!!!!(in a good way, my friend )

OfflineGWAR
Scumdog of theUniverse
 User Gallery

Re: EXPERIMENT: cotton balls in replace of vermiculite [Re: _Lucid_]
    #717904 - 07/02/02 10:55 AM (21 years, 9 months ago)

lol.. aight, u cught me on my spelling of COTTON.

well, i might still give it a shot with at least one jar.

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: North Spore Bulk Substrate   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   OlympusMyco.com Olympus Myco All-in-One Grow Bags   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder