Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | Next >  [ show all ]
OfflineYthanA
ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ
Male User Gallery

Loc: NY/MA/VT Borderlands Flag
Declaration of Intention * 4
    #4864857 - 10/28/05 07:38 PM (18 years, 5 months ago)

I write this post as the founding member of the Shroomery and its most senior administrator, to proclaim my intention upon starting the site, and to help guide future decisions affecting its members. This should not be read as an official policy, rather it simply represents my personal goals and wishes when it comes to running the site. It is my greatest desire that the Shroomery remain a haven for free speech and differing ideologies, including those generally deemed offensive and detestable, as long as such speech is not illegal, expresses a genuine belief or opinion, and is not an obvious attempt to generate discord or disrupt the community (aka 'trolling'). I contend that it is the duty of the administration to extend equal rights and privileges to all members (including disliked and controversial ones), and to ensure that site guidelines are enforced fairly and without prejudice due to an individual's beliefs. The administration should make reasonable accomodations for those with controversial viewpoints, including equal access to the site's resources and a public forum to express their opinions. Under no circumstances should disciplinary or punitive action be based on what could be considered moral judgement, only on specific infractions spelled out in advance. These principles should take priority over all others, especially offering a 'friendly', 'non-threatening' or 'non-controversial' atmosphere. I propose that the freedom we provide is the site's most unique and valuable aspect, and it should be a top priority of the administration to safeguard said freedom. Finally, it is not my intention for people to over-analyze this statement, 'read between the lines' or twist my quotes to support any position beyond the one specifically outlined within: questions of free speech on the Shroomery should not be decided on moral grounds.

-Ythan
10/28/05

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineYthanA
ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ
Male User Gallery

Re: Declaration of Intention [Re: Ythan] * 1
    #4864863 - 10/28/05 07:39 PM (18 years, 5 months ago)

This is in response to some staff discussion about cracking down on hate speech and Nazism. I hope it makes my position crystal clear, for this and future issues.

Invisiblenewuser1492
Re: Declaration of Intention [Re: Ythan]
    #4864970 - 10/28/05 08:16 PM (18 years, 5 months ago)

:thumbup:

InvisiblelIllIIIllIlIIlIlIIllIllIIl
Stranger

Loc: Texas
Re: Declaration of Intention [Re: Ythan] * 1
    #4865622 - 10/28/05 11:20 PM (18 years, 5 months ago)

It took a lot of balls to say that. And fuck do I admire you for it. :thumbup:

OfflineRoseM
Devil's Advocate
Female User Gallery

Loc: Mod not God Flag
    #4865624 - 10/28/05 11:21 PM (18 years, 5 months ago)

Awesome!

:smile:

--------------------
Fiddlesticks.

InvisibleGnuBobo
Frilly Cuffs Extraordinaire
 User Gallery

Loc: Charisma
    #4865654 - 10/28/05 11:29 PM (18 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

Ythan said:
I write this post as the founding member of the Shroomery and its most senior administrator, to proclaim my intention upon starting the site, and to help guide future decisions affecting its members. This should not be read as an official policy, rather it simply represents my personal goals and wishes when it comes to running the site. It is my greatest desire that the Shroomery remain a haven for free speech and differing ideologies, including those generally deemed offensive and detestable, as long as such speech is not illegal, expresses a genuine belief or opinion, and is not an obvious attempt to generate discord or disrupt the community (aka 'trolling'). I contend that it is the duty of the administration to extend equal rights and privileges to all members (including disliked and controversial ones), and to ensure that site guidelines are enforced fairly and without prejudice due to an individual's beliefs. The administration should make reasonable accomodations for those with controversial viewpoints, including equal access to the site's resources and a public forum to express their opinions. Under no circumstances should disciplinary or punitive action be based on what could be considered moral judgement, only on specific infractions spelled out in advance. These principles should take priority over all others, especially offering a 'friendly', 'non-threatening' or 'non-controversial' atmosphere. I propose that the freedom we provide is the site's most unique and valuable aspect, and it should be a top priority of the administration to safeguard said freedom. Finally, it is not my intention for people to over-analyze this statement, 'read between the lines' or twist my quotes to support any position beyond the one specifically outlined within: questions of free speech on the Shroomery should not be decided on moral grounds.

-Ythan
10/28/05

Good call.  :thumbup: 

Nicely worded, btw.  :cool:

--------------------
Jerry Garcia. JERRY GARCIA! JERRY GARCIA!!!!

Invisibleagar
old hand
 User Gallery

Loc: Somewhere Else
    #4865668 - 10/28/05 11:35 PM (18 years, 5 months ago)

These are the very principles this NATION was founded on.
Right on :thumbup: :wink:

--------------------

InvisibleThorA
Anti-Theist OVERLORD
Male User Gallery

Loc: Iceland Flag
    #4866055 - 10/29/05 02:23 AM (18 years, 5 months ago)

Why I love ya man  :heart:

OfflineAnnom
※※※※※※
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Europe
    #4866303 - 10/29/05 05:08 AM (18 years, 5 months ago)

:smile:  :thumbup:

InvisibleOneMoreRobot3021
Male

Loc: the sky
    #4866547 - 10/29/05 09:15 AM (18 years, 5 months ago)

:smile:

--------------------
Acid doesn't give you truths; it builds machines that push the envelope of perception. Whatever revelations came to me then have dissolved like skywriting. All I really know is that those few years saddled me with a faith in the redemptive potential of the imagination which, however flat, stale and unprofitable the world seems to me now, I cannot for the life of me shake.

-Erik Davis

OfflineTameMe
Stranger
Male User Gallery

#4866634 - 10/29/05 10:04 AM (18 years, 5 months ago)

I have a question Yhtan....

hypothetical...

what if...shroomery turns into a haven for hate speech and nazism? what if it becomes rampant? I really don't want to see that...and it will drive me away from here. Is there a point to where you would try to calm it down a point?

OfflineYthanA
ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ
Male User Gallery

Re: Declaration of Intention [Re: TameMe]
    #4866695 - 10/29/05 10:29 AM (18 years, 5 months ago)

Well I really don't expect that to happen. There are dedicated sites for that kind of thing. I don't really know how to answer since it just seems so unlikely. I guess it would depend a lot on the actual circumstances. I'd probably debate with them if I could find ones worth arguing with. If it really became a phenomenon we could start a eugenics forum or something to keep things uncluttered. But as long as people are just expressing their personal beliefs in accordance with the forum guidelines, I really don't see the need to "calm" anything down. That's what the board's here for.

OfflineRedstorm
Prince of Bugs
Male

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Declaration of Intention [Re: TameMe]
    #4866867 - 10/29/05 11:48 AM (18 years, 5 months ago)

That would never happen.

OfflineMicrocosmatrix
Spiral staircasetechnician
Male

Loc: Ythan's house
Re: Declaration of Intention [Re: Redstorm]
    #4866931 - 10/29/05 12:08 PM (18 years, 5 months ago)

At a certain point there would be mass bannings and beheadings, problem solved, now we can be happy again! yay!

--------------------
:orly:

InvisibleOneMoreRobot3021
Male

Loc: the sky
Re: Declaration of Intention [Re: Redstorm]
    #4866983 - 10/29/05 12:28 PM (18 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

Redstorm said:
That would never happen.

--------------------
Acid doesn't give you truths; it builds machines that push the envelope of perception. Whatever revelations came to me then have dissolved like skywriting. All I really know is that those few years saddled me with a faith in the redemptive potential of the imagination which, however flat, stale and unprofitable the world seems to me now, I cannot for the life of me shake.

-Erik Davis

Invisibleafoaf
CEO DBK?
 User Gallery

Loc: Ripple's Heart
    #4868414 - 10/29/05 09:25 PM (18 years, 4 months ago)

how does this square with administrative policy and practice?

what measures are in place to maintain this vision?

--------------------
All I know is The Growery is a place where losers who get banned here go.

Offlinephi1618
old hand

Re: Declaration of Intention [Re: afoaf]
    #4868513 - 10/29/05 09:59 PM (18 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

This should not be read as an official policy, rather it simply represents my personal goals and wishes when it comes to running the site.

OfflineMicrocosmatrix
Spiral staircasetechnician
Male

Loc: Ythan's house
Re: Declaration of Intention [Re: phi1618]
    #4868562 - 10/29/05 10:13 PM (18 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

phi1618 said:
Quote:

This should not be read as an official policy, rather it simply represents my personal goals and wishes when it comes to running the site.

How many other admins also share these goals, would be the relevant question.  :sherlock:

--------------------
:orly:

Offlineiateshaggy
i haxor 360s
Male User Gallery

Loc: 612 Warf Avenue, next to....
    #4868620 - 10/29/05 10:24 PM (18 years, 4 months ago)

did you go to law school or something cuz that was spoken just like a lawer. and i actually mean that as a complment.

--------------------
You are a filipina sex goddess who wants to fuck me until I fall asleep, so then you can tickle my balls and see if the legend of my diamond filled nutsuck is true.  I am a white man from costa rica, who smells like lime jello.

I can flash/jtag/repair 360's, pm for details.

OfflinegeokillsA
∙∙∙∙☼ º¿° ☼∙∙∙∙
Male User Gallery

Loc: city of angels Flag
Re: Declaration of Intention [Re: afoaf]
    #4870528 - 10/30/05 12:20 PM (18 years, 4 months ago)

> what measures are in place to maintain this vision?

Active communication. Most staff-related problems that I have noticed during my tenure are a result of failed coordination/communication, which is something we have been progressively working on through the use of regular administrative meetings, as well as mass PM's or private posting sent to the mods whenever things do change that they should know about. In so far as whether or not the other administrators share Y's viewpoint, I trust that most of us hold the same basic ideal - but as with anything, each circumstance will evoke a slightly different response from any one of us. When it comes down to it, some of us may wish to actively change certain things while others may wish to let the community take a course closer to chaos. Either way, if it does not pose a threat to the members, the board, or the general harmony of the membership, we tend to let things be.

--------------------

--------------------
··∙   long live the shroomery  ∙··
...π╥ ╥π...

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom