Home | Community | Message Board

Zamnesia.com
Please support our sponsors.

Feedback and Administration >> Website Announcements and Feature Feedback

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
InvisibleJoshua
Holoman
Male

Loc: The Matrix
Mushroom Hunting - Admin Please Read
    #4158117 - 05/10/05 05:26 PM (11 years, 11 months ago)

http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat...e=0&fpart=1

I noticed a mod locking a thread that I believe should not have been locked.

I'd like to suggest that the Administration look into this issue. Locking threads should be one of the last avenues pursued by a Mod in my opinion. Open discussion is important and is vital to the function of this site. I read through the thread and a good discussion was at hand before the Mod called another user a liar and decided to lock the thread. I think some coaching may be needed for this Mod.

Thank you for your consideration,
Joshua

--------------------
The Shroomery Bookstore

Great books for inquiring minds!

"Life After Death is Saprophytic!"

Edited by Joshua (05/11/05 08:30 PM)

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
InvisibleJim
 User Gallery

Re: Mushroom Hunting [Re: Joshua]
    #4158527 - 05/10/05 07:17 PM (11 years, 11 months ago)

That post started legitimate, but turned quickly into a contest of wits.

Instead of locking it it could be moved to the 'General Speculation Forum'

--------------------
Use the Fucking Reply To Feature You Lazy Pieces of Shit!

afoaf said:
Jim, if you were in my city, I would let you fuck my wife.

Invisibleshroomydan
exshroomerite
 User Gallery

Loc: In the woods
Re: Mushroom Hunting [Re: Jim]
    #4159311 - 05/10/05 10:12 PM (11 years, 11 months ago)

Hi Joshua,

You could have sent me a PM, but we can do this here.

Lysergic_Milkman has made this claim about farmers treating individual cow pies with fungicide before. Note MJ's response.
http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/4118573#Post4118573

I have spoken with Lysergic_Milkman via PM and offered to reopen the thread when he has some evidence (a photo of a powdered pie or a link to the product which he claims farmers are dumping on cow pies). I also offered to unlock the thread and move it to the Pub or OTD. However, the mushroom hunting forum is not the place to spread urban legends or to present wild conjecture as fact.

I did not accuse him of lying. I do not doubt that both Lysergic_Milkman and UncleLuke are finding white powder next to dried up cow pies. The BS part is jumping to the conclusion that it must be fungicide spread by a farmer who has nothing better to do than spend a sizable chunk of time and money individually treating each cow pie in his field with fungicide for the sole purpose of preventing the growth of psilocybian mushrooms.

The hunting forum does not need this kind of disinformation, and it doesn't need the drama. That is why the thread was locked.

InvisibleJoshua
Holoman
Male

Re: Mushroom Hunting [Re: shroomydan]
    #4163086 - 05/11/05 08:03 PM (11 years, 11 months ago)

"You could have sent me a PM"

The message wasn't to you, it was directed toward the Admins.

"Note MJ's response"

MJ has a lot of responses that are often entertaining. MJ believes that mycelium from Pan. cyans grows inside a cows gut before being deposited. I disagree, but I believe he is entitled to his ideas and opinions.

"I have spoken with Lysergic_Milkman via PM and offered to reopen the thread when he has some evidence (a photo of a powdered pie or a link to the product which he claims farmers are dumping on cow pies)."

I remember when a Mod of the hunting forum locked a post because the user claimed to have found cyans in the Spring. The Mod said the same as you, unless there is photographic proof your post will remain locked. I went to the users location and found cyans. Now there are other posts of Spring cyans and the idea of Spring cyans is fact.

This post wasn't posted by Lysergic_Milkman, why would you demand he take action to reopen the thread?

The original poster asked, "...Any suggestions? Opinions? Ideas? Facts? Thoughts?" and the post stayed within what he asked for.

I think you introduced the drama based on your actions, everyone else was stating their opinions, ideas, facts or thoughts...all of which foster genuine discussion.

I think your job as a moderator would have been better represented by offering your opinion, not by locking a post because a user's opinion differred from yours.

Joshua

--------------------
The Shroomery Bookstore

InvisibleJoshua
Holoman
Male

Re: Mushroom Hunting [Re: shroomydan]
    #4163194 - 05/11/05 08:24 PM (11 years, 11 months ago)

On Closing Threads:
Threads are to be closed when they are violating the Shroomery general policy or specific forum policy to a degree that is not detrimental to any member of the membership, yet still goes against the rules. The purpose of closing a thread, rather than dumping it, is to set an example to the membership that such threads will not be tolerated. Questionable threads may be temporarily closed as a preventative measure until a final decision has been reached via staff discussion.

Can you explain to me what general policy or forum policy is being violated?

Joshua

--------------------
The Shroomery Bookstore

OfflineRoseM
Devil's Advocate
Female User Gallery

Loc: Mod not God Flag
Re: Mushroom Hunting [Re: Joshua]
    #4164828 - 05/12/05 02:15 AM (11 years, 11 months ago)

You both have a point...

But this argument is tedious. It is just a locked thread, and since there were no poisonous or tainted mushrooms involved, nobody has been harmed. :smirk:

Nobody's gonna' eat the cowshit... and without evidence backing it up, this thread could be spreading some misinformation... which goes against the mission of this website.

Yeah, the thread probably wasn't doing any harm... and I get the feeling the kid isn't lying about what he saw... but, the thread was open for 3 days and nothing had come of it. In cases like this, it is the Forum Moderator's call. This thread was going South, and people were misunderstanding each other, and taking things personally. The Moderator, in this case, chose to stop the possible spread of misinformation, name calling and speculation, until photographic evidence was presented. W I S E

I'm sure if you have something useful to add to the thread, you could PM a Mod and have it re-opened... to make way for your additions.

And Joshua, the thread WILL re-open if someone presents evidence.

So, this is a very SMALL issue.

You've made your point publicly, and the Mod in question learned his lesson.

Let's move on.

--------------------
Fiddlesticks.

InvisibleJoshua
Holoman
Male

Re: Mushroom Hunting - Administrative response requested [Re: Rose]
    #4166068 - 05/12/05 01:00 PM (11 years, 11 months ago)

I don't think that censorship is a small issue. It is the principle at hand that I am an advocate for.

"...without evidence backing it up, this thread could be spreading some misinformation... which goes against the mission of this website."

Since when is evidence required for discussion?

The moderator in this case started the negative vibes in my opinion.

I will move on when the Administration of this site address' this issue.

Crevantes- If you truely wanted to move on, you wouldn't have stopped to post. I disagree with what you see as W I S E in this case, I see it as misjudgement and abuse of priviledges.

Joshua

--------------------
The Shroomery Bookstore

OfflineRoseM
Devil's Advocate
Female User Gallery

Re: Mushroom Hunting - Administrative response requested [Re: Joshua]
    #4166696 - 05/12/05 04:13 PM (11 years, 11 months ago)

Yeah the Mod started the negative vibes... but I don't think he meant them to sound as negative as they did.

I imagine, he locked the thread, in part, to keep that thread from turning into THIS one. :wink: W I S E

--------------------
Fiddlesticks.

InvisibleAdden
Sandcastle in the Sun
I'm a teapot User Gallery

Loc: Amongst the Dunes
    #4167327 - 05/12/05 06:27 PM (11 years, 11 months ago)

In all your time here.. everything you've contributed (and that's a lot), how come you're not a mod?

I see some scummy ass mods (not a hit at the Mush Hunt mods they're great) but fail to see why you are not one?

--------------------

Outdoor Mushroom Cultivation

InvisibleJoshua
Holoman
Male

Re: Mushroom Hunting - Administrative response requested [Re: Rose]
    #4167774 - 05/12/05 08:30 PM (11 years, 11 months ago)

"I imagine, he locked the thread, in part, to keep that thread from turning into THIS one. W I S E "

This thread is intended as a discussion. If you fail to see the utility and good that can come from a discussion, I think you may also fail to understand the point of this thread as well as many other threads here at the Shroomery.

I don't think the thread was headed in a negative direction either. The Lysergic_Milkman stated he was offended at Dan's comments, and even thereafter apologized for any drama he may have contributed...which I think was a very civilized move on his part.

I am still waiting for the administration to address and/or respond to this issue.

Joshua

--------------------
The Shroomery Bookstore

InvisibleJoshua
Holoman
Male

Re: Mushroom Hunting - Administrative response requested [Re: Adden]
    #4167802 - 05/12/05 08:38 PM (11 years, 11 months ago)

I was a mod at one time but resigned due to personal reasons.

Joshua

--------------------
The Shroomery Bookstore

InvisibleThorA
Anti-Theist OVERLORD
Male User Gallery

Loc: Iceland Flag
    #4167808 - 05/12/05 08:41 PM (11 years, 11 months ago)

Joshua as you know we support our mods, I've looked at the thread in question and I honestly see both your point and the mods.

Its important of course if you feel a mod did something wrong to let us know, but I think more importantly this thread served the purpose better than an 'admin response' as ultimately the mod is there day in day out, and admins are not.

Also if you are waiting for a response do you want a specific action like opening the thread, or did you just want to bring up the issue to make us aware?

If its to make us aware can we consider this matter closed for now?

InvisibleJoshua
Holoman
Male

Re: Mushroom Hunting - Administrative response requested [Re: Thor]
    #4170804 - 05/13/05 02:35 PM (11 years, 11 months ago)

From my first post, "I think some coaching may be needed for this Mod."

If this is how the administration would like their Mods to handle issues, then I am ok with that.

I however do not see a rule that was violated and feel that coaching is in order.

I understand supporting the Mods and agree. I think that ongoing education, training and coaching is necessary to develop good public opinion and ultimately to prevent alienation of the users of this site.

Thank you for your time,
Joshua

--------------------
The Shroomery Bookstore

InvisibleThorA
Anti-Theist OVERLORD
Male User Gallery

#4170829 - 05/13/05 02:42 PM (11 years, 11 months ago)

Cool, yeah its more important that we in situations like this learn something from it, rather than be out to make someone look bad, which is not the case here of course.

You especially know this all too well as one of our ex-mods  :grin:

InvisibleDreaMaTrix
Shaman I am

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Falling into place
    #4170977 - 05/13/05 03:26 PM (11 years, 11 months ago)

I agree with this:

Quote:

Locking threads should be one of the last avenues pursued by a Mod

This is how I always acted, but it seems many mods have an 'itchy trgigger finger' and love to lock posts.
I don't know if the above quote is a guideline for a mod, but it should be, there is nothing more aggrevating than a discussion stopped because it it locked.

This is why I don't frequent many of the forum's I used to..

It's a good job the lock button isn't a gun, else there would be hell of a lot of dead innocent users around :wink:

Good luck

--------------------

"We are the one's we have been waiting for" - Hopi saying

Invisibleshroomydan
exshroomerite
 User Gallery

Loc: In the woods
    #4171627 - 05/13/05 05:58 PM (11 years, 11 months ago)

Banning should be one of the last avenues pursued by a mod. Locking is really quite benign.

Anybody who hangs out in the Hunting Forum knows that a lot of threads get locked every day. If somebody asks about the weather; locked. Somebody asks what shrooms grow in their area; locked. If someone requests an ID and refuses to properly describe the mushroom; locked.

We run a tight ship in that forum because eating wild mushrooms is a potentially deadly endeavor.

A certain member of the community had been giving questionable advice since he arrived here, including several bad IDs. In the thread cited above he presented his fungicide theory as if it were fact after it had been previously questioned/refuted by respected authorities on two separate occasions.

Yes, I was very blunt when I approached the user in question. Perhaps I could have been a little more diplomatic. But please remember, this was the third time he presented his theory as fact, and even after I bluntly confronted him he refused to stand down. I locked the thread because false information has no place in the Hunting Forum, and the user in question was continuing to present his theory as fact even after I requested that he stop. Is this censorship? Absolutely. We censor stuff all the time in the mushroom hunting forum. If a user wants free speech he can go to OTD or the Pub.

In retrospect, perhaps it would have been better for me to confront him privately. Perhaps...

Perhaps it would have been better for you to PM me about this before complaining to the Admins. Perhaps...

InvisibleJoshua
Holoman
Male

Re: Mushroom Hunting - Administrative response requested [Re: shroomydan]
    #4172513 - 05/13/05 09:44 PM (11 years, 11 months ago)

"Locking is really quite benign."

Perhaps for you it is...and perhaps that perspective isn't shared by the rest of the community.

I only had problems with one other locking in your forum (2yrs ago).

Joshua

--------------------
The Shroomery Bookstore

OfflineRoseM
Devil's Advocate
Female User Gallery

#4172662 - 05/13/05 10:38 PM (11 years, 11 months ago)

This thread should be locked.

--------------------
Fiddlesticks.

InvisibleThorA
Anti-Theist OVERLORD
Male User Gallery

#4172757 - 05/13/05 11:08 PM (11 years, 11 months ago)

I will also say that since that particular forum was my first exposure to this community back in 98, that I've always appreciated its power and of course the threat that it poses with people unfortunately not taking the hobby seriously enough.

I'd rather err on the side of caution particularily in that forum than any other, literally lives are at stake there.

InvisibleJoshua
Holoman
Male

#4174175 - 05/14/05 12:43 PM (11 years, 11 months ago)

The attitude which Cervates and ShroomyDan are displaying is what is my problem. Lock this lock that, without regard to others.

The discussion of mysterious piles of powder next to manure is a rather inoquous topic that poses little danger to the community one way or the other.

It appears to me you support this attitude of locking threads even when your Mods may be in err. I now know that is what the admin supports. Your mod of this forum wants to lock my thread and silence this discussion and you have nothing to say about it.

Go ahead and lock it and set an example of what happens to honest discussions when they are in opposition to the opinions and concerns of Shroomery members.

Your support of these individuals is alienating a long time user and contributor of this site.

Joshua

--------------------
The Shroomery Bookstore

Jump to top. Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Feedback and Administration >> Website Announcements and Feature Feedback