Home | Community | Message Board


This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.


Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore Injection Grain Bag, North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Sporeworks.EU Spores for European Microscopy   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Brown rice wont turn into BRF
    #4721369 -

Hey, so i went out looking for brown rice flower and could not find any so i got just brown rice. I have a coffee bean grinder and put the rice in there and it wont even dent the rice? Any suggestions?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Brown rice wont turn into BRF [Re: HubertCumberdale]
    #4721393 -

Try breaking them up into smaller pieces? Are you sure you have the right rice?


--------------------
Foley


There were hard times ahead for the people of planet Ventura,
Staring into the networks of space and time,
Their eyes were open,
But still, they were blind,
I wandered through the weird and lurid landscape of another planet

- Pendulum, Another Planet

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Brown rice wont turn into BRF [Re: Foley]
    #4721407 -

Check Out Local Health Food Stores...
u know the one's with a bunch of Bulk Binz...

They usually have sum Brown Rice already Ground up into Fine powder!


--------------------

Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Brown rice wont turn into BRF [Re: SouthPArk]
    #4721988 -

Use a blender - which is what I used.  You have to put maybe four inches of the whole rice, then liquify - shake\toss around - and repeat.  You must have patience, though and understand that what's in the middle will be ground, while the outsides of the container will stand stationary (unless you have a VERY good blender).  I prefer making my own brf from brown rice because you get a freshness that you don't get with storebought brf.  Try it yourself.  Make three jars with storebought brf and make three with self-ground brf.  You'll see the difference.  My first grow, I ground it myself - and then bought it and was dissapointed.  Went back to slaving my fingers over a blender for afternoons at a time and it was much worth it.  :smile:


--------------------
"A delightful, wholesome experience for the family." - Desson Thomson, THE WASHINGTON POST

http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat...rue#Post5481456

omfg~dutch!

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Brown rice wont turn into BRF [Re: doubledutch]
    #4722033 -

take it to the supermarket and use there coffee grinder in the isle

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Brown rice wont turn into BRF [Re: mskip23]
    #4722107 -

have you tried putting in more rice so the blades are constantly hitting it? it should be really easy..

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Brown rice wont turn into BRF [Re: Razman]
    #4722254 -

damnit, i just went and got brf because i didnt have a cofee grinder handy, but the store grinder would work just find wouldnt it? oh well, maybe ill try both and see if doubledutch is correct. im sure he is... seems like iv'e heard that before too.. the fresher the better

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Brown rice wont turn into BRF [Re: shroomr4life]
    #4723550 -

I know what your talking about, with Brown rice, the husk comes off and powders, but the inside just splits in half, i ground for hours trying every different way/combo. The middle part of each grain never powders.
I just used it all anyways, still works fine.

Just move onto grains its so much easier. Even if you do the PF cakes with grains.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Brown rice wont turn into BRF [Re: Ascension]
    #4723671 -

Why not just cook the rice to fluffy consistency, pack the jars and use the rice grain whole?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Brown rice wont turn into BRF [Re: Sillypcybin]
    #4723703 -

I'd like to hear a response to Sillypcybin's question.
On a sidenote - "i ground for hours trying every different way/combo. The middle part of each grain never powders." Ascension, it's always worked for me. I've used three different blenders, two different brands of brown rice.


--------------------
"A delightful, wholesome experience for the family." - Desson Thomson, THE WASHINGTON POST

http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat...rue#Post5481456

omfg~dutch!

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Brown rice wont turn into BRF [Re: doubledutch]
    #4723845 -

That's what I do. I use whole brown rice. Colonization times will blow you away. Just cook it until it becomes fluffy and soft, then pack it in the jars, pressure cook, and you're good to go. By the way, I followed Magash's tek for this.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Brown rice wont turn into BRF [Re: doubledutch]
    #4723859 -

its easier to sterilize the grains, and easier for the mycelium to colonize it from what I hear. I haven't noticed much of a difference, ive made jars of just pure regular brown rice and had them colonize with no problems. I guess its all just preference.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Brown rice wont turn into BRF [Re: CptnGarden]
    #4723863 -

u using instant rice!?!?


--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Brown rice wont turn into BRF [Re: 3six5]
    #4723884 -

I've used instant white rice and had good success.:peace:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Brown rice wont turn into BRF [Re: chadwick]
    #4723914 -

Correction, I don't think it was instant rice. Sorry about that.:peace:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Brown rice wont turn into BRF [Re: HubertCumberdale]
    #4723916 -

Here is my method for turning brown rice into brown rice flour suitable for brown rice cakes.

Soak the rice in water overnight. I use warm water to facilitate fermentation and get the hard-to-kill endospores to begin their germination process.

Drain, rinse well.

Dry in an oven until the rice is totally dry to the touch.

Put a small amount, about 1/3rd the total capacity of the blender, into your coffee grinder. Short bursts seem to keep the motor cool enough to use it for a while. I've read that some people like to keep some "chunks", but I think that more surface area is better so I pulverize it.

That should work


--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Brown rice wont turn into BRF [Re: The14thWarrior]
    #4723997 -

kroger carries BRF in the health section near the pharmacy

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: North Spore Injection Grain Bag, North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Sporeworks.EU Spores for European Microscopy   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds


Similar ThreadsPosterViewsRepliesLast post
* can Brown rice and BRF be substituted 1 to 1 by bird seed? Raedon 1,565 9 04/12/03 09:20 AM
by Anno
* Brown Rice to BRF whodi 1,495 6 06/23/03 07:19 AM
by whodi
* BRF(brown rice flower), A Waste of Time?
( 1 2 3 4 5 6 all )
Peregrin_Took 39,022 115 12/20/04 10:44 AM
by MycoJunkie
* I cant find brown rice flour anywhere help jigaman2k2 5,122 18 09/26/02 02:03 PM
by bigmike
* brown rice flour?!?! gator00 3,509 14 07/30/09 06:01 AM
by Lostkeys
* Brown Rice The_Mad_Hatter 2,406 13 07/08/02 08:07 AM
by badjessejames
* Mahatma brown rice, or organic brf? houshroom 1,857 12 03/04/06 01:24 AM
by Delinquentes
* turning brown rice into bfr Monkah 2,925 10 09/23/01 03:17 AM
by BrownPastures

Extra information
You cannot start new topics / You cannot reply to topics
HTML is disabled / BBCode is enabled
Moderator: Shroomism, george castanza, RogerRabbit, veggie, mushboy, fahtster, the_chosen_one, LogicaL Chaos, 13shrooms, hamloaf, cronicr, Stipe-n Cap, Pastywhyte, bodhisatta, Tormato, Land Trout, A.k.a
1,487 topic views. 10 members, 50 guests and 168 web crawlers are browsing this forum.
[ Show Images Only | Sort by Score | Print Topic ]
Search this thread:

Copyright 1997-2026 Mind Media. Some rights reserved.

Generated in 0.028 seconds spending 0.011 seconds on 16 queries.