Home | Community | Message Board

Vaposhop
Please support our sponsors.

General Interest >> Philosophy, Sociology & Psychology

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Invisiblemoog
Stranger

where arrogance ends and jealousy begins
    #4468546 - 07/29/05 12:37 PM (12 years, 28 days ago)

Often I see people on this forum saying they've mastered a spiritual practice, or possess higher knowledge which most people don't (yet) know. The unavoidable kneejerk response is always someone jumping in claiming the poster to be arrogant or ignorant. Well, how do you know they're arrogant or ignorant? How do you know their knowledge isn't genuine? If their knowledge is genuine and they have great confidence in that knowledge, then their confidence can be mistaken for arrogance. But it seems that jealousy manifests in trying to discredit the poster, because the poster claims to understand something that the other person doesn't.

Here's a related example: whenever someone says or even hints at the words, "I am enlightened," there's *always* someone that says, "You wouldn't say that if you were truely enlightened." This is laughable. How are you to know if this person is enlightened or not, and if they are, how would you know they wouldn't proclaim it? Granted, when someone says they're enlightened I would think they're talking about more enlightened and not absolutely enlightened. Maybe this misunderstanding is where the responses come from.

See, there's a point where arrogance ends and jealousy begins, but it's not always clear. The line is thick and blurred. Often it's a little bit of both, arrogance on the side of the poster and jealousy on the side of the response.

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Invisibleredgreenvines
irregular verb
 User Gallery

Re: where arrogance ends and jealousy begins [Re: moog]
    #4468615 - 07/29/05 01:00 PM (12 years, 28 days ago)

i want to know more about the psycho kinesis stuff
those enlightened guys aint so special.
the magic flying guys are the real hard ones to find.

Offlinedeff
lovelightbliss
 User Gallery

Loc: all this Flag
Re: where arrogance ends and jealousy begins [Re: redgreenvines]
    #4468637 - 07/29/05 01:04 PM (12 years, 28 days ago)

I think we're all magic flying guys afraid to leave the ground :wink:

--------------------

InvisibleHuehuecoyotl
Stranger
Male User Gallery

Loc: On the Border
Re: where arrogance ends and jealousy begins [Re: moog] * 1
    #4468659 - 07/29/05 01:11 PM (12 years, 28 days ago)

"Often I see people on this forum saying they've mastered a spiritual practice, or possess higher knowledge which most people don't (yet) know. The unavoidable kneejerk response is always someone jumping in claiming the poster to be arrogant or ignorant. Well, how do you know they're arrogant or ignorant?"

I agree completely. I know that I can fly using magic powers...faster than a speeding bullet. I have x-ray vision and I can also leap tall buildings in a single bound.

--------------------
"A warrior is a hunter. He calculates everything. That's control. Once his calculations are over, he acts. He lets go. That's abandon. A warrior is not a leaf at the mercy of the wind. No one can push him; no one can make him do things against himself or against his better judgment. A warrior is tuned to survive, and he survives in the best of all possible fashions." ― Carlos Castaneda

InvisibleLe_Canard
The Duk Abides

Loc: Earthfarm 1 Flag
Re: where arrogance ends and jealousy begins [Re: Huehuecoyotl]
    #4468696 - 07/29/05 01:20 PM (12 years, 28 days ago)

Oh yeah? Well I have a magical penis! :penis:

InvisibleSinbad
Living TheMoment
Male

Loc: Under The Bodhi Tree
Re: where arrogance ends and jealousy begins [Re: moog]
    #4468724 - 07/29/05 01:29 PM (12 years, 28 days ago)

People call me arrogant all the time. It seems to be the projected curse of anyone who has tasted direct knowlege. Apparently im meant to be more humble and modest (belive me, im trying), but the problem is that this is just not how i am. Sometimes people get a little fearful and offended when faced with the sharp directness of home truths.

--------------------

InvisibleHuehuecoyotl
Stranger
Male User Gallery

Loc: On the Border
Re: where arrogance ends and jealousy begins [Re: Sinbad] * 1
    #4468777 - 07/29/05 01:47 PM (12 years, 28 days ago)

"People call me arrogant all the time."

Please keep in mind that everyone has tasted truth in one form or another...but there are different kinds of truths. That said, there is quite a bit of difference between run of the mill arrogance, which we all posses, and claiming to have superhuman abilities. There is also no wrong in speaking what you believe to be truth...even if speaking this truth means denouncing another as a liar. Blatant charlatans should not be tolerated.

--------------------
"A warrior is a hunter. He calculates everything. That's control. Once his calculations are over, he acts. He lets go. That's abandon. A warrior is not a leaf at the mercy of the wind. No one can push him; no one can make him do things against himself or against his better judgment. A warrior is tuned to survive, and he survives in the best of all possible fashions." ― Carlos Castaneda

InvisibleSinbad
Living TheMoment
Male

Loc: Under The Bodhi Tree
Re: where arrogance ends and jealousy begins [Re: Huehuecoyotl]
    #4468825 - 07/29/05 02:01 PM (12 years, 28 days ago)

I forgot to mention, that i can also fly, walk through walls, levitate and move mountains with my bare hands. :lol:

But seriosuly though, my nickname amoungst the local Sangha is "Vajra Parrot". But i dont mind one bit, as long as there is always much humour truth, and beneift for one and all.  :wink:

--------------------

Edited by Sinbad (07/29/05 02:21 PM)

Jump to top. Pages: 1

General Interest >> Philosophy, Sociology & Psychology