Home | Community | Message Board

World Seed Supply
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   North Spore Boomr Bag   OlympusMyco.com Sterilized Grain Bag

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinejtk
Stranger
 User Gallery

Horse Poo Spawn Experiment, We'll see what happens
    #4279942 - 06/10/05 12:33 PM (18 years, 10 months ago)

I got some really nice perfectly aged/leached horse poo from a guys farm the other day.  I hand picked it from an outdoor pen that he lets his horses hang out in.  I spawned about 2-2.5 quarts of cambodian strain colonized WBS to about 5 quarts of the poo today.  The catch is i did not soak, pasturize, or do anything to the poo.  All i did was break up all the clumps, fluff it up, and add water.  I added enough water so that non came even close to dripping.  It would only drip when i squeezed a handfull of it quite firmly.  After i added the water is when i spawned the WBS to it.  I placed it in gallon sized ziplock bags in a dark spot at 72-75 degrees.  in about 7-10 days im going to be transferring it to an outdoor grow set up that i have.  Im just going to check the spawn every day and if it starts to contam, then i will transfer it outdoors early, and let it continue to colonize, then fruit out there.  If it fully colonizes then i will put it in my set up and hopefully see some fruits in 1-2 weeks. :smile:

Ill make sure and post how it turns out.  I know i saw on here a couple times where diver claims to have great results indoors without pasturizing his horse poo.

--------------------
Don't let your brain tell your mind it can't feel

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Invisibleonefunguy
bad blood
Male

Loc: kihei, maui county
Re: Horse Poo Spawn Experiment, We'll see what happens [Re: jtk]
    #4280010 - 06/10/05 12:55 PM (18 years, 10 months ago)

i don't completly understand what pasturizing poop does...kill bugs?
sounds like to a great experment to me.. after all it grows without help in the wild...GOOD LUCK! :smile:

--------------------
........all the kids will eat it up if its packaged properly........

Offlinescatmanrav
Brainy Smurf

Loc: Flag
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Horse Poo Spawn Experiment, We'll see what happens [Re: onefunguy]
    #4280038 - 06/10/05 01:02 PM (18 years, 10 months ago)

Not "bugs"...well yes if any are there...but the point is to kill off bacteria, fungus and molds...while not letting it get hot enough to kill beneficial bacteria. The beneficial bacteria/fungus fight off contaminates, while allowing mushroom mycelium eat right through it, even making it easier to eat through.

I would put it in a tub, covered loosly with tin foil and a few holes...a bag wont provide very good air exchange...which is one reason why outdoor stuff doesnt fail as often (there are others...they just dont grow the same outdoors as in) to contams. The bag would probably create a bag of stagnant air..I'd think...not sure...just a guess. Good luck to you.

--------------------
"life is like a drop of rain getting closer and closer to falling into a lake, and then when you hit the lake there is no more rain drop, only the lake."

Growing with bags, start to finish (including my new grain and substrate prep)
Anyone looking to start bulk tubs/mono tubs/shotgun hybrids? Good tubs to use..
How I do grain (old still good tips)
Turn your closet into a fruiting chamber
Casing layer colonization and overlay

OfflineIGnosticAbhorI
Stranger-er

Re: Horse Poo Spawn Experiment, We'll see what happens [Re: scatmanrav]
    #4280046 - 06/10/05 01:05 PM (18 years, 10 months ago)

I'd pray that all the larve (if any present)...don't decide to turn into bugs as you're fruiting :smirk:

Gl

-Gnostic

Offlinejtk
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: Horse Poo Spawn Experiment, We'll see what happens [Re: scatmanrav]
    #4280113 - 06/10/05 01:21 PM (18 years, 10 months ago)

I stabbed holes in both sides of the top 1/4 of the bag with a fork for air exchange. I probably stabbed it through both sides a total of 8 times with the fork. Thats 64 holes since the fork has 4 prongs on it, and it went through the front and back layer. I also left the very top corner of the bag open. Like the last 1/2 inch. Is that not enough air exchange?

--------------------
Don't let your brain tell your mind it can't feel

OfflineIGnosticAbhorI
Stranger-er

#4280118 - 06/10/05 01:23 PM (18 years, 10 months ago)

That sounds fine lol

-Gnostic

Offlinescatmanrav
Brainy Smurf

Loc: Flag
Trusted Cultivator
    #4280124 - 06/10/05 01:25 PM (18 years, 10 months ago)

>Is that not enough air exchange?

I'm not to sure...I havnt experimented with it before...IMO though if I were going to be trying to ward off contaminates, I wouldnt allow much gas buildup at all and if it were my experiment...I would probably do it in the container as I said...I'm just guessing though.

--------------------
"life is like a drop of rain getting closer and closer to falling into a lake, and then when you hit the lake there is no more rain drop, only the lake."

Growing with bags, start to finish (including my new grain and substrate prep)
Anyone looking to start bulk tubs/mono tubs/shotgun hybrids? Good tubs to use..
How I do grain (old still good tips)
Turn your closet into a fruiting chamber
Casing layer colonization and overlay

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   North Spore Boomr Bag   OlympusMyco.com Sterilized Grain Bag