Home | Community | Message Board

NorthSpore.com BOOMR Bag!
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   North Spore Boomr Bag   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck

Jump to first unread post Pages: < Back | 1 | 2  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflinePenguin
You can't be me I'm a Rockstar

Loc: On the Arctic ice shelf.
Re: Horse Poo or Cow Poo [Re: ralphster44]
    #921923 - 10/01/02 07:41 AM (21 years, 5 months ago)

I have seen horses poo...umm, go with the horse poo. Great things will come of this I see it...in the poo.

Hey, fred, are you using straw by chance with that poo-poo?

--------------------
The fear of loss is always greater than the desire for gain

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Invisibletripndicular
My Minds Eye IsRhizomorphic

Loc: Bowels of HELL
Re: Horse Poo or Cow Poo [Re: Fred Garvin]
    #922127 - 10/01/02 09:20 AM (21 years, 5 months ago)

Thanx Fred , glad I did not have to explain,  ........"THE USE OF COMMON SENSE " to you  :smile:, we seem to be on the same level when it comes to a choice of what shit to use . I hope in some small way I guided you in the direction you already knew was best for you !

I am not experienced in mushie growing :smirk: , but have one a few awards for gardening , veggies . Mushies are not like plants in many ways , but they do get there nutrients from the soil and other substrates they are in contact with , they just do not rely on the sun to help convert it into usable energy . I am certain that they need and use diferent nutrients at different times during development  . Like plants "usually" like lots of nitrogen , when forming leaves and branches , then like the other various nutrients and minerals  when flowering , devloping fruits etc ............ some like acidic , some like alkaline , mushies seem to like netural range .

And yes the spores are not eaten and digested , thus making them able to germinate .......... we are growing mushrooms not nuts . I cant name one , but there are some grains and nuts(especially rainforest ) that need to go thru digestive tract in order to germinate , and to be spread to new areas also . Spores are designed to be spread in wind currents , land hopefully in favorable environment , germinate , acquire nutrients to develop mature mushie and spores , then release them starting process over again . :grin: :grin:

Personally I like the idea of growing in worm poop (worm castings ) that is my chosen substrate for bulk growing . I know many would disagree , but many also agree so thhhhhhhhhppppppppttttttttt (blows raspberry) to all you argumentitive types .  :tongue:
Outdoors I am going with Moes outdoor tech , and horse dung is easier for me to obtain . Besides I do not want my mushies to have mad cow diease, or anthrax .... ha ha only joking , but have thought about it . Hell I have even considered using bat guano , but most disagree with that , and I trust some who said they had no luck .
Knowing me though ....... I will try someday . Bat guano is hard to get quantity of , and costly from comercial comps.

No matter what your choice the only thing that seems to matter is the ph level , I have asked many what are optimum nutrient levels for mushies i.e. nitrogen , potash , etc and have been given no direct answers . Enough rambling ...........

This is real life not opinion ..........HERMIT CRAWL BACK UNDER YOUR ROCK !

Sorry folks my evil ego is defensive today. :crazy:

Peace and for those who deserve it..............................
May the mushroom goddess bless all your endeavors ! :cool: 

--------------------
Any information I give is not intended to aide you in the production of potentialy illegal substances !None of my exp comes from growing illegal varities , so take it as you will .
So with that said here is our mission statement .

Then the priest fell into a trance or swoon,& said unto the Queen of heaven ; Write unto us the ordeals; write unto us the rituals; write unto us the law !

InvisibleVSOPXO
Cognacaholic

Post deleted by Moe Howard [Re: tripndicular]
    #922304 - 10/01/02 10:32 AM (21 years, 5 months ago)

Invisiblemickey_rourke
Illegal Smile
Loc: Playa del Carmen
Re: Horse Poo or Cow Poo [Re: VSOPXO]
    #922306 - 10/01/02 10:34 AM (21 years, 5 months ago)

I like to leave the worm castings for the house plants, but others seem to like it.

--------------------
"I tried to put it all behind me, but my redneck past is nipping at my heels.." -- Ben Folds Five

OfflineFred Garvin
Male Prostitute
Loc: The northern part of sout...
Re: Horse Poo or Cow Poo [Re: Penguin]
    #922329 - 10/01/02 10:42 AM (21 years, 5 months ago)

Well Penguin of course I will not be using any of this info for other than entertainment purposes. However a friend is just beginning to grow and as yet has not tried the poo method at all. This friend of mine was thinking he would try the poo with straw and without, to experiment a little and find what works best for him. Of course now he has to maybe experiment with different poos just to satisfy his incessant curiousity. This friend remains humbly grateful for all the advice given in this thread. He will try to record the results (good and bad) of his various experiments and post them someplace where other amatuers and newbies might benefit. Thanks for your time. peace :cool:

--------------------

The above statements are just the incoherent babblings of your friendly neighborhood Cracker!

Shur drinkin kils brane sells--but only the week ones!!

OfflineFred Garvin
Male Prostitute
Re: Horse Poo or Cow Poo [Re: tripndicular]
    #922380 - 10/01/02 11:00 AM (21 years, 5 months ago)

Thanks Trip, I like to think I posess some common sense most of the time. While responding to ShroomHermit, I realized I talked myself into telling my friend to use horse poo, and experiment with others. I have a follow up question for you while we're here. Is there a good method you can recommend to allow someone to check the PH level of the poo? Some way readily available and fairly cheap. Or is the PH level fairly predictable and not in need of monitoring? I know I should search the faq's and archives, and I will, but I'm asking for the benefit of your experience. Thanks again.

Hey I just noticed I got a shroom. Woo-Hoo I'm somebody now!! :cool:

--------------------

The above statements are just the incoherent babblings of your friendly neighborhood Cracker!

OfflineFred Garvin
Male Prostitute
Re: Horse Poo or Cow Poo [Re: mycofile]
    #922394 - 10/01/02 11:07 AM (21 years, 5 months ago)

And thanks to Mycofile for directing me to the grow logs forum. I didn't even think to cruise around in there. Minus one common sense point for me. :frown:

5 shrooms for Trip and Myc. (When I can!!)

--------------------

Invisibleralphster44
collector
 User Gallery

Re: Horse Poo or Cow Poo [Re: DERRAYLD]
    #921799 - 10/01/02 11:26 AM (21 years, 5 months ago)

Post deleted by administrator.

--------------------
www.RalphstersSpores.com

WE SHIP TO CANADA FROM WITHIN CANADA :smile:

For your safety and security, we have a Secure Website.
Also for your security, we will not take your credit card number.
Your security and safety is of utmost importance to us.

Invisiblemycofile
Pooh-Bah
 User Gallery

Loc: Uranus
Trusted Cultivator
    #924947 - 10/02/02 12:45 PM (21 years, 5 months ago)

All this debating is a little silly. As I have used both, extensively, I can vouch that cow/cattle manure and horse manure are both QUALITY bulk substrates. You can talk theory about number of stomachs, where shrooms are found in nature and if cows or horses really do sleep standing up or not, but it doesn't really matter. Use whichever you can get your hands on.

And just to clarify, when I say fad, I don't mean anything bad by it. Yes, the manure teks are here to stay. The reason I use the word fad is because "poo teks" have been here to stay for about 30 years. Their newfound popularity is a popmycology fad, not a groundbreaking advance in mycology.

And for anyone who's theory tells them that horse poo is drastically better than cow poo, this was grown on straight dung, cased with vermiculite:

Yield was about 3 oz per sq. ft. First flush.
Cow manure works just fine.

--------------------
"From a certain point of view"
-Jedi Master Obi Wan Kenobi

PM me with any cultivation questions.

I just looked at my profile and realized I had a website at one point in time on geocities, it's not there anymore and I have no idea what I had on it. Anybody remember my website from several years aga? PM if so please.

Invisibletripndicular

#924994 - 10/02/02 01:03 PM (21 years, 5 months ago)

In RE: Checking ph .
I am not 100% sure , but I think nurseries sell little kits for testing soil samples and I believe it does ph levels in soil also . Cost ?????????? 15$ at most . :cool: 

--------------------
Any information I give is not intended to aide you in the production of potentialy illegal substances !None of my exp comes from growing illegal varities , so take it as you will .

Then the priest fell into a trance or swoon,& said unto the Queen of heaven ; Write unto us the ordeals; write unto us the rituals; write unto us the law !

Offlineseattlekid
Stranger

#925328 - 10/02/02 03:21 PM (21 years, 5 months ago)

tripndicular:
just thought i would let you if you're looking for large quanities of bat guano try going to different smoke shops or nurseries which sell stuff for growing bud. As i remember i think its sold in five pound increments but im not really too sure on the price cause its was a while back when i bought some. good luck with your experiment when you try it.

--------------------
Life moves pretty fast, if you don't stop and look around once in a while you could miss it.

Invisibletripndicular

Re: Horse Poo or Cow Poo [Re: seattlekid]
    #925340 - 10/02/02 03:25 PM (21 years, 5 months ago)

Thanx for info .
Have found commercially but is too costly , also have crazy cave crawling friends who said they would collect some for me .
Gonna stick with worm poop for now .

--------------------

Invisiblemycofile
Pooh-Bah
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #932085 - 10/04/02 01:45 PM (21 years, 5 months ago)

I'm a crazy cave crawler. Bats are neat. Caves are amazing places. Nothing beats the feeling of exploring a virgin passage, a sacred place deep inside the earth where you know that no man has ever been before.

I've seen passages over a mile long with the walls, floor and ceiling completely permeated with mycelium. Makes the walls gisten and sparkle. Very cool.

I've also cloned a fungus that was found growing on pack-rat shit in a cave. Never grew it out again, just wanted a culture.

Just curious, what region are your cave crawlin buddies in?

--------------------

I just looked at my profile and realized I had a website at one point in time on geocities, it's not there anymore and I have no idea what I had on it. Anybody remember my website from several years aga? PM if so please.

Offlinehappygrins
addict

Loc: Shroomery
    #932101 - 10/04/02 01:52 PM (21 years, 5 months ago)

That sounds cool as hell.  Do you have any pictures of that you could share?..

--happygrins :grin:

Invisibletripndicular

#932111 - 10/04/02 01:56 PM (21 years, 5 months ago)

South west . Kinda "X-FILES" like .....bringin foreign fungus never touched by anyone to surface ! :crazy: Just messin with ya ! :grin: Freaky cave man you !  :crazy: I've only been in an ice hole that went back about a mile , easy walking, no sludgin, squeezin , no wheezin ! 

--------------------

Invisiblemycofile
Pooh-Bah
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #936266 - 10/06/02 10:35 AM (21 years, 5 months ago)

These aren't my pictures, just some I had on hand. If anyone gets seriously interested in caves, check out caves.org.

--------------------

Offlinemycon00b
Stranger
    #936527 - 10/06/02 01:11 PM (21 years, 5 months ago)

gentlemen...
Mayhaps it's also strain related, but here's my 2 cents...
Been playin with eq's and koh... both loved cow, so  went to the garden shop and got a bag of composted horse manure. Tried to use grain spawn with the poo strait out of the bag... the fungus would stretch out and try to colonize, but it gave the same effect as when it spans over plastic and it never ate the shiest. I leached the poo and tried again, and it seemed to like it a little better, this time it was actually attaching to the crap and making a good effort at colonizing, but yeilds were still fairly poor. Now, I've called all the shops here in western washington and all carry horse, but none carry cow manure.... In the end, what I found works awesome is to twice steep the horse manure and be very generous with the water (use new water for each steep session duh), then take the end result and mix in coarse vermiculite to make a good, fluffy mix of about 70% poo and 30% vermiculite. Pasturize in oven bags, spawn with grain, follow the hints on this board for environmental controls... worked very very good fo me...
Sorry to rattle... :confused:

Jump to top Pages: < Back | 1 | 2  [ show all ]

Shop: Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   North Spore Boomr Bag   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck