Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order

Jump to first unread post Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineRoseM
Devil's Advocate
Female User Gallery

Loc: Mod not God Flag
Re: FAQ 34. What are hallucinations really, and what do they look like? [Re: Rose]
    #4251666 - 06/03/05 09:03 AM (18 years, 9 months ago)

This has been added to the answer. Thanks Jinx, now I think I can give this question the seal of approval.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hallucinations
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hallucinogenic_drug

by: Jinx

A true hallucination is when one sees something that appears to be a real 3D object, yet no one else sees it.
A psuedo hallucination is what one percieves with eyes open (OEVs) or closed (CEVs) when "tripping".

Genetic researcher Fritz Popp of Kaiserslautern University in West Germany has determined that DNA has a resonant frequency that has a direct relation to the 66th harmonic of the frequency of the earth's rotation. This high frequency has to do with the scientifically recognized ability of DNA to communicate on the molecular level with light. In other words, when strands of DNA break apart during replication, they emit ultraviolet light, which encodes the DNA/RNA molecules in the nucleus. In the book "The Cosmic Serpent", Jeremy Narby postulates that the UV light projected by DNA is what one percieves with the pineal gland as psuedo hallucinations.

Suggested reading for a better understanding of hallucinations:

DMT - The Spirit Molecule by Rick Strassman
True Hallucinations and The Invisible Landscape by Terence McKenna
The Cosmic Serpent - DNA and the Origins of Knowledge by Jeremy Narby

http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Cat/0/Number/2064691

--------------------
Fiddlesticks.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinealphaone
Big Detail
Male
Re: FAQ 34. What are hallucinations really, and what do they look like? [Re: Rose]
    #4257094 - 06/04/05 07:08 PM (18 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

Tripping on hallucinogenic drugs reveals more about our inner selves than the hippies ever bargained for, says Dana Mackenzie

/snip/

Now, after more than two decades, Cowan and his team think they have found where hallucinations really come from. And there's nothing transcendental about it. An LSD trip is really a journey into the brain, says Cowan. "It's just the innate tendency of the brain to make patterns when it goes unstable."

According to this explanation when we trip we don't get to see any deeper reality nor come into better contact with the collective consciousness, but instead our brain tends to produce such pictures and feelings simply because it goes out of ballance?

Yhis approach begins with the premise that consciousness is only the result of chemicals interacting in the brain and that's the whole story. If you think you've experienced some other reality, this theory says - no. What you saw may have been elaborate and you might have felt it as something very profound and larger than ordinary consciousness, but it was all just your brain not functioning normally.

Isn't that too materialistic? There's something missing here. It suggests there's no reason to seek anything truly spiritual from psychedlic experience.

It may turn out that this explanation is correct, but I think it fails to explain phenomena like telepathy or ability to contact other entities, which is the reason most shamans take these drugs in the first place.

Even ordinary trippers from time to time manage to "converse" with plants or animals or indeed even with other humans on the mental level. These experiences remain valid and feel real even after the trip is over. So how would the materialistic theory explain this stuff?

Offlineoysterguy63
60's child

Loc: God's Country
Re: FAQ 34. What are hallucinations really, and what do they look like? [Re: alphaone]
    #4257697 - 06/04/05 10:24 PM (18 years, 9 months ago)

Bingo on the telepathy and ability to communicate with other entities, and knowing certain things you could not know. After my recent experiences, I am convinced it is far more than just a journey into our own brains, although that is clearly part of it. It opens us up to more abilities because the brain is functioning differently....just my opinion and I welcome yours.

--------------------
Oysters...yuummmmm

OfflineRoseM
Devil's Advocate
Female User Gallery

Loc: Mod not God Flag
Re: FAQ 34. What are hallucinations really, and what do they look like? [Re: alphaone]
    #4257780 - 06/04/05 10:41 PM (18 years, 9 months ago)

Go ahead and add something to the answer if you feel it is missing.

:smile:

--------------------
Fiddlesticks.

OfflineHarryFlashmanVC
That BeastlyFlashy

Loc: Suffolk, England
    #4258971 - 06/05/05 07:34 AM (18 years, 9 months ago)

When I trip I often experience vivid hallucinations. These aren't of objects not in "reality" but generally distortions of reality. But its an interesting division between the "real" and the "false". I know for a fact that if I was sober those flowers wouldn't be dancing and growing at me.... so does that mean I'm seeing a distortion of a real object or something that isn't actually happening so therefore "unreal"?

Often my OEV's consist of objects stretching/growing. The ever present breathing and waving of everything. Pixellisation of surfaces and patterns is a visual effect I most commonly experience.

And audio hallucinations......? Now maybe you're catching sounds differently or sounds you wouldn't normally hear, but I think audio hallucinations can bring a new perspective to considering hallucinational reality.

Thinking about what generates hallucinations, a great deal must come from our own psyche's. But we don't live in vacuums and incidents can send you on radically different paths

Jump to top Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4  [ show all ]

Shop: PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order