Home | Community | Message Board

Out-Grow.com - Mushroom Growing Kits & Supplies
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Grow Bags   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineRoseM
Devil's Advocate
Female User Gallery

Loc: Mod not God Flag
FAQ 34. What are hallucinations really, and what do they look like?
    #3275179 - 10/25/04 12:21 PM (19 years, 4 months ago)

--------------------
Fiddlesticks.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineRoseM
Devil's Advocate
Female User Gallery

Re: FAQ 49.What are hallucinations really, and what do they look like? [Re: Rose]
    #3278624 - 10/26/04 08:32 AM (19 years, 4 months ago)

Come on... chime in... People are obviously looking at this thread.

What is a Tripper's FAQ without discussion of hallucinations?

--------------------
Fiddlesticks.

Offlinearbalest
wut kent?
Male

Loc: Melbourne, Australia
Re: FAQ 49.What are hallucinations really, and what do they look like? [Re: Rose]
    #3278739 - 10/26/04 09:12 AM (19 years, 4 months ago)

Are hallucinations very realistic? If so, are they the sort of things that you can just say "I'm only seeing this because I've taken mushrooms" and can you make them disappear by telling yourself that? Or do you just think theyre real and cant tell yourself to forget?

I guess this would probably vary, but hopefully it gets some posts from people.

InvisibleNewfoundFreedom
Manure whore

Re: FAQ 49.What are hallucinations really, and what do they look like? [Re: arbalest]
    #3278773 - 10/26/04 09:24 AM (19 years, 4 months ago)

You really shouldn't try to controll your trip. It's better to just go with the flow. Generally, they're not going to make you see what's not there, but they will distort what's already there or even help you notice something that was there before that you just didn't ackknowledge.

Offlinetomk
King of OTD

Loc: PNW
Re: FAQ 49.What are hallucinations really, and what do they look like? [Re: NewfoundFreedom]
    #3278990 - 10/26/04 10:29 AM (19 years, 4 months ago)

Hallucinations are not what you expect. It's coutnerproductive to try and describe them becaue hallucinations will be influenced by descriptions. If I say you can look at trees and it will look like persian or mayan art, and you read and internalize that, then thats what you will see. Better to have them without having expectations in your mind.

--------------------
"I am eternally free"

OfflineDistortedPhlight
Stranger
Loc: Seattle,wa
Re: FAQ 49.What are hallucinations really, and what do they look like? [Re: NewfoundFreedom]
    #3279010 - 10/26/04 10:36 AM (19 years, 4 months ago)

ok well here goes my shot at describing mushie hallucinations

i will look at my "screaming man" painting and notice things i wouldnt notice. like seeing eyes in the painting. they arnt real eyes but the colors make them look like eyes. Colors seem more vibrent. for expample most of my apartment is a green color(my fav color) but my BMX bike is bright bright red looking at my bike i notice how red it is. i meen sometimes i wont be able to stop looking at it.
ok i was watching Oceans 11. and near then end of the movie the mushies i had taken started to kick in. i looked at george clooneys face. i could see every minisclue detail on it. then i went to my computer after the movie was over and listened to some beastie boys while playing some Call of duty. out of the corner of my eye it would look like my bed would be breathing i would then look at it and realize it was breathing. then look at my monitor and it would look as if it was shrinking. well there ya go i tried.

....just my two caps worth

--------------------
"The world is full of choices and doors. the choices you make open and close certain doors. By choosing your own path, you will open the doors to your inner self, and inner peace."-me

Anonymous

#3279485 - 10/26/04 12:54 PM (19 years, 4 months ago)

my avatar. or an indian tapestry.

Invisiblejux
I'm better thanan STD!

#3280543 - 10/26/04 05:04 PM (19 years, 4 months ago)

--------------------

OfflineCiv
Pinning
Male User Gallery

Loc: California
Re: FAQ 49.What are hallucinations really, and what do they look like? [Re: jux]
    #3280562 - 10/26/04 05:08 PM (19 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

http://www.ua.es/dfa/agm/upua/UPUA0304/rotsnake.gif

Wow. That is a LOT what its like to see stuff while yer trippn' a very good example of the eyes fucks you can receive.

--------------------
"...Gal's seem to hate the thought of blending chicken shit in a blender.
So, wash it well afterwards & DON'T tell them..."  -Agar

Offlinefreddurgan
Techgnostic
Male

Re: FAQ 49.What are hallucinations really, and what do they look like? [Re: Civ]
    #3281685 - 10/26/04 08:54 PM (19 years, 4 months ago)

For most of the time for me, hallucinations are just subtle things. Colors, waving things, objects looking different how they should.

But that ONE time, when I took 3 hits of acid. I pretty much lost my ability to determine what was real or not (ESPECIALLY the auditory hallucinations. I had no idea if I or anyone else was talking, but lord knows I heard them). It can get pretty intense at high doses.

--------------------
Ishmael
http://www.ishmael.org

Ron Paul 2008!
http://www.ronpaul2008.com/

InvisibleTremor1127
Mental Member
Male

Loc: In a Van Down By the Rive...
Re: FAQ 49.What are hallucinations really, and what do they look like? [Re: Civ]
    #3281751 - 10/26/04 09:08 PM (19 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

Civ said:
Quote:

http://www.ua.es/dfa/agm/upua/UPUA0304/rotsnake.gif

Wow. That is a LOT what its like to see stuff while yer trippn' a very good example of the eyes fucks you can receive.

yup... if you look at sheets of wood you will get very good kaleidoscope hallucinations like that... and like the post just above me speaking about waving objects, i can say yes on that because especially when i take pretty large doses of shrooms its like the whole earth moves like the ocean, its so wild... and everything has a shine to it, like i said once before i feel like a disco follows me everywhere i go... acid is abit different, it kinda distorts everything you see, pretty bad in big doses, stuff kinda melts and breaths when it shouldnt, and since you dont SEE stuff you hear, you never really know if what you are hearing is real or not, but for sure the larger part of sounds you hear is not really there, its just you... hallucinating to me is more of the description of what HAPPENS on HALLUCINOGENIC drugs, it doesnt really mean you time warp into another world that isnt there, you just see stuff way differently...

OfflineRoseM
Devil's Advocate
Female User Gallery

Re: FAQ 49.What are hallucinations really, and what do they look like? [Re: Tremor1127]
    #3282018 - 10/26/04 10:18 PM (19 years, 4 months ago)

Anybody have any "Official" Hallicination links?

Why do they happen?

--------------------
Fiddlesticks.

Offlinetomk
King of OTD

Loc: PNW
    #3282968 - 10/27/04 03:44 AM (19 years, 4 months ago)

You should mention in the FAQ on this question that at least some people feel looking for hallucinations is counterproductive. When I take hallucinogens, I do it not to see shit but for the spiritual experience it provokes. I feel like trying to focus in the hallucination is going to be counterproductive for most people, and the way to have them is to unfocus and relax, allowing the experience to overcome you, rather then get some "Are you seeing stuff" thought loop where not only will you have a bad time, but you will also miss out on the increadible profoundity of the psychedelic experience.

--------------------
"I am eternally free"

Offlinemushroomman23
Re: FAQ 49.What are hallucinations really, and what do they look like? [Re: tomk]
    #3283058 - 10/27/04 05:15 AM (19 years, 4 months ago)

on low doses of shrooms its easy to tell your self what u are seeing
is just hallucinations however on high doses the things you see are can be very very real

Offlinescape
II
Loc: somewhere but not where y...
Re: FAQ 49.What are hallucinations really, and what do they look like? [Re: mushroomman23]
    #3283252 - 10/27/04 07:38 AM (19 years, 4 months ago)

I have had a real visual hallucination before. My first time on shrooms. I was at a local univeristy with a friend. We had purchased 10.5 grams of shrooms and ate them thru the night. The bag we had was 10.5 grams with 7 small shrooms that weighed maybe 4 grams and the remaining 6 grams was made up of 3 very large shrooms. one that weighed in acess of 3 grams. We had been muching down the small ones as we felt like it enjoying our selves. we kept going thru this all night till around 10:30 pm. we decided to order some pizza becuase we had been tripping since 3pm and were kinda hungry and tired. so the pizza man came. we ate felt good. both of us were definately still tripping but not very hard. at that point i decided to pull the bag out and grabed the one that was in acess of 3 grams i said, "dude, i wonder what would happen if i ate this right now?" my friend said DO IT! so in my mouth it went. i couldnt eat it all in one mouth full it tasted terrible and was just too big. so i broke it in 1/2 and ate the top half then the other half. at that point we decided to watch some futurama on his girlfriends laptop. Sitting their watching, i had decided i wanted the light on. so my friend turned it on. Now i was feeling very trippy again. i looked at him and his pants were shimmering with light. like a reflective surface blowing in the wind and diffrent angles were reflecting light back at me. I was so amazed i had to look at every thing else. then i found the carpet, which was amazing, dacing with color and power. That was really awesome. Next thing i remember was watching the carpet come alive, Snakes and worms were comming out of the carpet. now these wernt really looking like snakes and worms, they didnt retain color of their own, more like a "magic eye" type of thing where their shape and movement was defined but they were the color of the carpet. one snake rose up looked right at me and tryed to strike me. I was freaking out. i remembed at that point i was on mushrooms and it wasnt real it was all in my head. As soon as i told my self that they all vanished. The next thing i remember was wanting them to come back becuase i thought it was the greatest thing i had ever seen. So i looked very closely at the carpet, amazed it was still moving in rivers of color and organization. So i moved closer and closer till i "fell into the carpet" where their were these "giant ants" that were carrying chunks of food or somthing, some were red some were green. they all moved very tightly packed in so that nearly one group was touching the other group, they all moved in opposit directions 1 body wide. then i had an OEB where i was in the highest farthest corner of the room looking at my self laying on the carpet with my eyes closed and seemed to be unconsious.

sorry so long
pretty cool story of my first mushroom trip. by far was that the best, and i have yet to dose that extreme again. the end of the night between both of us the 10 grams was gone however my friend had only eaten maybe 3.5 on his own the other 7 grams i had eaten.

--------------------

EVERYTHING I SAY OR DO IS FAKE, IM A COMPULSIVE LIAR, sorry for any confusion this makes.

Invisiblejux
I'm better thanan STD!

Re: FAQ 49.What are hallucinations really, and what do they look like? [Re: scape]
    #3284922 - 10/27/04 03:00 PM (19 years, 4 months ago)

--------------------

OfflineRoseM
Devil's Advocate
Female User Gallery

Re: FAQ 49.What are hallucinations really, and what do they look like? [Re: jux]
    #3285270 - 10/27/04 03:56 PM (19 years, 4 months ago)

Does anybody have any links to info abouy WHY Hallicinations happen?

--------------------
Fiddlesticks.

OfflineHrethic
A Human, Being

Loc: Passing through the bulk Flag
    #3285908 - 10/27/04 06:03 PM (19 years, 4 months ago)

They look real to me! It's shit that you're seeing with your own eyes, patterns that just melt out of the surface and crawl at you, or the entire room morphs into itself in a fury of cascading fractals that make up the walls and everything around you. And yeah it's all a hallucination, but i'm seeing it and most certainly feeling it, seems pretty real to me.

And here's why we see pretty flutterbys!:mushroom2:
http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Cat/0/Number/2064691/an/0/page/0#2064691

--------------------
Will all the big boomers please unveil, please unveil, please unveil.

Offlinerecalcitrant
My Own God

Loc: Canada West
    #3285955 - 10/27/04 06:12 PM (19 years, 4 months ago)

They happen because your brain bleeds, I thought that was obvious!

But seriously; I don't have any links no, but I do have lots of words to trade.

People get vibrations. Ear drums vibrate to give us hearing. Retinas vibrate to give us sight. Skin vibrates to give us touch.

You put these little molecules in your body and they bind with receptors that are gathering vibrations. Those molecules act like bunny ears on a tv. They are antanae to gather vibrations which we are normally unable to accept.

--------------------

We have to answer our own prayers

Offlinejustin85
Bubbles
 User Gallery

Re: FAQ 49.What are hallucinations really, and what do they look like? [Re: recalcitrant]
    #3287992 - 10/28/04 02:20 AM (19 years, 4 months ago)

when I've taken mushrooms I will see things but then look away and shake my head and think about how its not there and it will be gone.  But one time I took LSD and I wanted the things to go away but when I looked away and shook my head they were still there! It was nuts. I think ill stick with shrooms :shroomer:

--------------------

OfflineRemi
Stranger

Re: FAQ 49.What are hallucinations really, and what do they look like? [Re: justin85]
    #3329547 - 11/07/04 02:44 AM (19 years, 4 months ago)

Heh. Try drawing or sketching when your reaaally peaking. Either try and put what you see on paper or just use the trip to really get into the art you'd be surprised at what you can come up with. Especially if your a good artist. I wouldnt mind seeing some trip art.

Invisibleohmatic
searcher
 User Gallery

Loc: europe
Re: FAQ 49.What are hallucinations really, and what do they look like? [Re: Remi]
    #3329864 - 11/07/04 08:44 AM (19 years, 4 months ago)

wellits not much of a description,
but i encountered my first real hallucination this weekend while tripping on 2c-i.

besides that the world i knew about completely broke to parts around me,
i saw strange organic objects coming out of the floor, flying into the air,
sometimes flying right through me, before they vanished in the ceiling...
which during the trip was as high as a cathedral ...

if anyone is into reading my 2c-i tripreport, here is the link http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Cat/0/Number/3327149/an/0/page/0
peace ohm :mushroom2:

--------------------
:penis: MONOTUB tek :sun: HEATBOMB tek :penis:

RIP #cultivation! ....can't associate? well FUCK U !

Offlinedarkstar122982
A machination ofthe Gods

Loc: The womb of chaos.
Re: FAQ 49.What are hallucinations really, and what do they look like? [Re: mushroomman23]
    #3330370 - 11/07/04 04:28 PM (19 years, 4 months ago)

Yeah, with the higher doses man one time I was trying to understand the experience as it was happening and a lot of things didn't make sense so I kept asking myself, "Woa! What's going on here?". I mean I was completely alert and aware of my surroundings but was experiencing more realistic hallucinations.My fault for trying to control it I suppose. When that happens it's possible to be watching the tv or listening to the radio and project your own images and messages in a way, through your mind. If your overwhelmed or scared for some reason you might see or hear a message confirming your fears in a way. It's not real though, just a hallucination. Trippy stuff. Usually if that happens and I feel like it could turn out to be a bad trip I just go to my room or somewhere and just lay down. I don't try to go to sleep though and find it almost impossible to do so. I just lay down and let things happen until I feel like it's all good.

Also when it comes to watching tv, I'll see someone on the screen and their skin will look sort of ethereal, if that's the word to describe it. Sort of flowing, not solid.

--------------------

Awaken Within!

Edited by darkstar122982 (11/07/04 05:21 PM)

OfflineRoseM
Devil's Advocate
Female User Gallery

Re: FAQ 49.What are hallucinations really, and what do they look like? [Re: darkstar122982]
    #3418433 - 11/28/04 02:52 AM (19 years, 3 months ago)

Is there anything that intensifies hallusinations during a trip?

Anyone have trouble hallucinating?

How can we help those who haven't seen, see?

--------------------
Fiddlesticks.

OfflineDamn
Psychonaut
 User Gallery

#3425283 - 11/29/04 08:52 PM (19 years, 3 months ago)

on two hits of very good quality acid (my first time taking acid) i saw my friends naked back grow to look like he was some boney creature , not completly but everytime i would look over i would see his body morph slowly , lookin real creepy. the first time it made me look away like "jesus what was that" , but then it kicked in to my head " oh yea.. friggen acid" and then seeing it just made me more curious about what the drug could do. later in the trip when i was peaking i had the dark side of the moon DVD playing in the background, i remember watching it for like 20 minutes and roger waters would be talking, i could hear his voice but it sounded somewhat distorted, or like it was playing off a radio or something, but what when i looked at the his face his mouth wasent moving the same to what he was saying. almost like it would play, rewind, play again, i dunno friggin acid, it was real amusing.

on 7grams of dry mushrooms and 3.5grams of syrian rue i dosed , sat outside for about 20minutes watching the sun go down, dirnkign some orange juice, i could feel the very slight nasuea coming on, the same time the whole sky was flasshing birhgter and dimmer, randomly, over and over till the sun went down, but the time i went inside i was halfway up the stairs and me and my friend sat down, the visuals were alot more in my face, everything my eyes would focus on would twwist and bend or just blow up into some crazy visual that is just undescribable because there is so much shit going on for so many hours i dont remember all of them. i dunno on that dose my vision is so clouded with visuals is amazing, i can bearly move.

on a low dose of mushies on wood, or any darker surface i sometimes see these images slowely drifting acrosed , or swilring around, or drifted side to side, or pulsing, i dunno there so many diffrent things that happen. but these images are kind of white, somewhat ghostlike transparent imagine within the surface. its hard to explain, and thats just what i see , people dont see the same shit always. ive seen my friend turn completly blue, everypart of his skin. i dunno theres so many diffrent crazy visuals ive had over the years, but i still enjoy the body vibe and the rollercoaster ride through my mind more than anything.

trippin

--------------------
--------------------------------------------------------------

Invisibleohmatic
searcher
 User Gallery

Loc: europe
    #3426616 - 11/30/04 02:57 AM (19 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

Cervantes said:
Anyone have trouble hallucinating?

i didnt ever have hallucinations neither on shrooms nor on acid.
but the 2ci trip about a month ago gave me my first real fully blown hallucinations,
and believe me, for someone who was used to trip without them,
this sure was a goddamn overwhelming event and point in my life.

i havent tripped since them but i am quite sure that my trips will be different
from this day one, since i once had the first 'real' glimpse of the other side..
peace ohm :mushroom2:

--------------------
:penis: MONOTUB tek :sun: HEATBOMB tek :penis:

RIP #cultivation! ....can't associate? well FUCK U !

InvisibleMiddlemanM

#3426683 - 11/30/04 03:42 AM (19 years, 3 months ago)

i think we should differentiate between true hallucinations and psuedo halluciations.

a true hallucination is when we see something that appears to be real when it is not.
a psuedo-hallucination is what we usually percieve w/ eyes open or closed when we trip.

genetic researcher Fritz Popp of Kaiserslautern University in West Germany has determined that DNA has a resonant frequency that has a direct relation to the 66th harmonic of the frequency of the earth's rotation. This high frequency has to do with the scientifically recognized ability of DNA to communicate on the molecular level with light. In other words, when strands of DNA break apart during replication, they emit ultraviolet light, which encodes the DNA/RNA molecules in the nucleus.

in the book _The Cosmic Serpent_ Jeremy Narby postulates that the UV light projected by DNA is what we percieve with our pineal gland as psuedo hallucinations.

there... i contributed. :smirk:

OfflineRoseM
Devil's Advocate
Female User Gallery

Re: FAQ 49.What are hallucinations really, and what do they look like? [Re: Middleman]
    #3426727 - 11/30/04 04:22 AM (19 years, 3 months ago)

:smile:

--------------------
Fiddlesticks.

OfflineMy_Corona
Stranger
 User Gallery

#3426934 - 11/30/04 07:25 AM (19 years, 3 months ago)

Rippling blue fractals on large white surfaces. Peoples facial expressions amplified hard to explain/facial morphing and patterns being made out of everyday clutter around you. Experienced all these just tonight actually  :tripping: Just my 2 cents on what I've been seein :smile:

--------------------
Im on acid for YOUR protection...

OfflinePhanTomCat
Teh Cat....
Male User Gallery

Loc: My Youniverse....
Re: FAQ 49.What are hallucinations really, and what do they look like? [Re: My_Corona]
    #3429128 - 11/30/04 05:43 PM (19 years, 3 months ago)

The most common "hallucination" I have had has always been the flowing water like effect on the stuff outside your focal point....  I have NEVER seen anything near what some people have described in their trips....  I have come to my own conclusion that because everybody has different bio-chemistry going on in their heads, I must not have the right chemical combo to "see" things like others....    I had a long thread going about this from when I first joined the Shroomery, and it turned very theoretical....  But I came up with 3 different "types" of hallucinations in conclusion.... 

1) The modified hallucination - breathing objects, tracers, enhanced colors, and water-like flowing backgrounds....

2) Psuedo hallucinations - for the people that see stuff that is not really there, but they know that it is not real....

3) Real hallucinations - for the people that see stuff, and actually think it is real, and/or interact with them....

The real hallucinations would be close to what is described from someone in a schizophrenia state of mind....  I am not a doctor, nor an educated brain specialist, this is just conjecture that I came up with while trying to figure out why I was not "seeing" what everyone else seems to see....  I do however believe that it has to do with everybody having such a diverse bio-chemical make-up....    Simple fact, some people can, and some people can't....  Gotta~ be in the genes...!

:shrug:

ChoW~,
>^;;^<

--------------------
I'll be your midnight French Fry....  :naughty:

"The most important things in life that are often ignored, are the things that one cannot see...."

>^;;^<

OfflineRoseM
Devil's Advocate
Female User Gallery

Re: FAQ 49.What are hallucinations really, and what do they look like? [Re: PhanTomCat]
    #3429211 - 11/30/04 06:03 PM (19 years, 3 months ago)

So what kind of hallucinations do most people experience on a good sized dose of shrooms?

--------------------
Fiddlesticks.

OfflineJdawg2013
 User Gallery

#3430467 - 11/30/04 10:59 PM (19 years, 3 months ago)

um once with 7g dry with the eyes closed there was constant flow of red and blue cartoon like visuals scrolling across the bottom of my vision from left to right... like the sillouettes of trees and figures sprouting from the ground (listening to shine on)

when i looked at a drawing the people and plants in the picture were moving about like they were animated and so was wallpaper

then i slipped into a "cognitive" hallucination where i would create a delusional story to explain what i was seeing/feeling at the time and thats a nasty state to be in

OfflineDastoner
n00b

Loc: NORTHWEST, USA
Re: FAQ 49.What are hallucinations really, and what do they look like? [Re: Jdawg2013]
    #3430472 - 11/30/04 11:01 PM (19 years, 3 months ago)

I often notice a snake type creature rising out of the ground and hissing at me moving in fast and moving back when I charge at it.

--------------------
-------------------------------
I hope this post Helped you.

OfflineRoseM
Devil's Advocate
Female User Gallery

Re: FAQ 49.What are hallucinations really, and what do they look like? [Re: Dastoner]
    #3430738 - 11/30/04 11:57 PM (19 years, 3 months ago)

I see faces on trees and rocks, and I see that big circular pattern on walls. In sunlight, living plants make my eyes go wild with goodness.

--------------------
Fiddlesticks.

OfflineDastoner
n00b

#3432605 - 12/01/04 12:18 PM (19 years, 3 months ago)

I notice a lot of kalediskope walls, faces on walls. I actually have a far out trip report I wrote about 2-3 years ago that I will share with you all. It was the first time I ever did a good amount of mushrooms, i must have been about 16 or 17 at the time. Funny trip as I remember :laugh: . This should tell a lot of people what they can expect from "bomb" shrooms. http://www.shroomery.org/index/the/default/ord/nam/way/asc/par/10660

Edit: By the way, I obtained these mushrooms through a reliable Danish source.

--------------------

Edited by Dastoner (12/01/04 12:20 PM)

Offlineprophesee
Stranger
Re: FAQ 49.What are hallucinations really, and what do they look like? [Re: Dastoner]
    #3432881 - 12/01/04 01:32 PM (19 years, 3 months ago)

score.

Offlineel_duderino
His Dudeness
Male User Gallery

Loc: 'stralia
Re: FAQ 49.What are hallucinations really, and what do they look like? [Re: prophesee]
    #3435026 - 12/01/04 09:20 PM (19 years, 3 months ago)

well i've never actually had a huge dose (well i had 12grams but due to tolerance it was real weak). Apart from the usual patterning and motion and cool CEV's the coolest 'hallucination' i can recall is when i saw john butler trio play live (awesome band BTW) and the light effects were real trippy i would see faces morphing and twisting on the projected lights, it was real weird cuz it actually looked like real faces just getting squished together and stuff.

umm.. that's my story :smile:

--------------------
Look, let me explain something. I'm not Mr. Lebowski; you're Mr. Lebowski.
I'm the Dude. So that's what you  call me.  That, or Duder.  His  Dudeness.
Or El Duderino, if, you know, you're not into the whole brevity thing.

OfflineLuv_The_Cyans
High as a kite ;)
Male User Gallery

Loc: BC and BCS
Re: FAQ 49.What are hallucinations really, and what do they look like? [Re: el_duderino]
    #3439513 - 12/02/04 07:37 PM (19 years, 3 months ago)

I know im really shrooming when i get "the wall"
its a transparent group of geometric shapes, patterns, or random things that takes over my feild of vision. I can still see everything else, just a wall of stuff in front of it.
It usually starts with shapes, they get more and more complex and then start oscilating or gyrating. When i get really good shrooms i can decide what i want to see. Ive seen 1000 homer simpson faces with all different facial expresions everywhere i look. When i pick cyans i usually eat them later that day. Then i see shrooms everywhere. It looks like im digging through grass and looking for shrooms around every corner.
Indoors i usually see wave like patterns or things pulsating.
A few times ive concentrated on an object and watched it melt.
If i am very high i can see what i want to if i concentrate enough
Ive never seen anything not real though, whack shit happens but i shake my head and its back to normal, ive always known that its in my head.

OfflinePlok
Life is fractal
Male

Loc: Los Angeles
Re: FAQ 49.What are hallucinations really, and what do they look like? [Re: Luv_The_Cyans]
    #3440059 - 12/02/04 09:42 PM (19 years, 3 months ago)

The kind of stuff I see is usually patterns of geometric shapes covering my entire field of vision. One time I closed my eyes for about twenty minutes and when I opened them again there was a semi-transparent veil of colored geometric "energy" or whatever you want to call it, covering EVERYTHING and sliding around.

Shroom visuals are incredibly bizarre. For me it doesn't matter whether my eyes are closed or open, usually I see shapes and patterns and things covering my field of vision either way. They tend to be more vivid with eyes closed though.

--------------------
Just say NO to the War on Drugs.

OfflineLegoulash
Stranger
 User Gallery
Re: FAQ 49.What are hallucinations really, and what do they look like? [Re: Plok]
    #3440263 - 12/02/04 10:22 PM (19 years, 3 months ago)

anything can be a hallucination, I was reading a book once waiting to start trippin and the spaces in between the words "Melted" and transphormed into a she devil that whipped a whip on hte page the ripped everything on the page.. it was preaty crazy yet I didnt even notice it as something strange.. It took me awhile to relize what had just happend..

Hallucinations seem very natural when your watching them, like breathing walls and falling starts (falling like rain) feel like a gift just for you that only you can experiance.. Tho Iv also seen people be scared to the point of running in fear jumping fences screaming... And from what you might ask......

A sun flower... Hallucinations are strange but they cannot truly be described anyway.. Their is also more than just seeing funky shit in the short time we get, And thats where it gets hard to describe.

OfflineRoseM
Devil's Advocate
Female User Gallery

Re: FAQ 49.What are hallucinations really, and what do they look like? [Re: Legoulash]
    #3440940 - 12/03/04 02:35 AM (19 years, 3 months ago)

This conversation took forever to start moving. Now it's getting somewhere. Thanks everybody for the info.

--------------------
Fiddlesticks.

Invisiblemecreateme
YoUisMEEMsiUoY
Male User Gallery

Loc: Memphrica
    #3442477 - 12/03/04 02:17 PM (19 years, 3 months ago)

Hallucinations are just icing on the cake. Wrapping paper on the present.

Its kind of funny how they are because you will start to see things inside of seemingly normal ordinary things. Like I will look at a wall or something and eyes will just jump out of the ordinary look of it. It lends a character that the things you see are always there yet it took until now for you to see them in the natural order of things.

And then there is the one great hallucination. You will know it when you get there. If there is anywhere to go anyway...

--------------------
No ONE wants to know the ultimate TRUTH, as soon as YOU find IT out, YOU want to forget IT.

You are everything's way of feeling itself.

Happy Schwag, everygodly!

Offlinetwilight715
Just anotherFreak in theFreak Kingdom

Re: FAQ 49.What are hallucinations really, and what do they look like? [Re: mecreateme]
    #3443216 - 12/03/04 05:39 PM (19 years, 3 months ago)

The first time I tripped, I didn't hallucinate at all until I thought I was sober...about 7 hours after we ate the shrooms (i had around 5.5 grams) I saw "the air" moving. What this means is that there were slight transparent swirls forming in midair.

My second trip was loaded with hallucinations, though. I've got a trip report in level 4 about this one, but to summarize: I saw tiny swirling patterns on almost everything I looked at, a poster came to life (3-d, moving), and I saw bright colored, moving patterns on a wall. Auditory hallucinations were present to a minor degree on this trip, I kept hearing a voice echo: "I have gone insane."

All in all, hallucinations aren't necessarily a part of a mushroom trip, but they are quite an amazing treat. Don't expect to see Jimi Hendrix leap out of a poster at you (as I did), because I've only heard of a couple other instances where shroom hallucinations were that intense. They most often occur as moving patterns of some sort.

--------------------
"He was too weird to live, and too rare to die."
- Hunter S. Thompson

"Mushrooms have no known adverse side-effects, other than leaving you feeling fatigued and probably surrounded by a load of mad paintings and some half-eaten chocolate bars."

InvisibleMystikMushroom
I RULE YOU!
Re: FAQ 49.What are hallucinations really, and what do they look like? [Re: twilight715]
    #3443622 - 12/03/04 08:01 PM (19 years, 3 months ago)

How is realizing that you are God and that you can ask yourself anything and "talk" to the sea of collective consciousness on the "other side"?

This happened to me last night. I'm convinced it was a hallicination, but at the same time as real as the computer im using now.

OfflineRoseM
Devil's Advocate
Female User Gallery

Re: FAQ 49.What are hallucinations really, and what do they look like? [Re: MystikMushroom]
    #3443725 - 12/03/04 08:34 PM (19 years, 3 months ago)

If it is a hallucination, it is a massive, shared hallucination.

--------------------
Fiddlesticks.

OfflineDastoner
n00b

#3444319 - 12/04/04 12:15 AM (19 years, 3 months ago)

Does anyone ever have "evil" hallucinations ?

It seems to me like I get a lot of these. But its not "bad trip"

Just evil hallucinations 0_o

--------------------

OfflineRoseM
Devil's Advocate
Female User Gallery

#3444502 - 12/04/04 01:55 AM (19 years, 3 months ago)

Care to explain?

--------------------
Fiddlesticks.

OfflineDastoner
n00b

#3444564 - 12/04/04 02:40 AM (19 years, 3 months ago)

Just like.. Look at peoples faces, they look like they are evil(fucked up smiles and stuff) . Look at a dog, dog looks evil (baring teeth and stuff)

Trees look evil. A lot of stuff just looks evil. Its really hard to explain.

It isnt neccesarily meaning I'm having a bad trip. Sometimes I just see evil shit.

Anyone else ?

--------------------

Offlinetwilight715
Just anotherFreak in theFreak Kingdom

#3444590 - 12/04/04 03:02 AM (19 years, 3 months ago)

all the hallucinations i've experienced have been either neutral or positive. perhaps it's just something in your mental state that's causing you to see things this way. A friend of mine who is very bipolar tripped on mushrooms once and kept having drastic mood swings and minor hallucinations that shifted in nature along with his mood swings. what I'm saying is, maybe this negativity is the result of some underlying psychological issue that could be as simple as something that's constantly preying on your mind (breakup, loss of job, bad childhood, etc etc).

sorry about the theorizing, but i'm a psychology major...it's in my nature :grin:.

--------------------
"He was too weird to live, and too rare to die."
- Hunter S. Thompson

"Mushrooms have no known adverse side-effects, other than leaving you feeling fatigued and probably surrounded by a load of mad paintings and some half-eaten chocolate bars."

OfflineShRooMHeAdJ
Stranger

Loc: NY
Re: FAQ 49.What are hallucinations really, and what do they look like? [Re: twilight715]
    #3445414 - 12/04/04 10:42 AM (19 years, 3 months ago)

This is sort of a trip report also, but last night i ate about an 8th of shrooms, no big deal. Either these were really good shrooms or the technique where you chew em real well and keep em in your mouth for a long time really worked. but i was soooo fucked up. i walked around the neighborhood with a few of my shrooming friends and it was crazy. everybody had their christmas decorations up and all of the lights were so bright and flashing. there was a huge grinch blow up thing and we were looking at it for a while then my friend just ran up to it and knocked that thing out. i was laughin my ass off as we ran for a few minutes. then, this is the real story, we went back to watch the movie "Big fish". if any of you have seen the movie you kno how weird that shit is. but being on shrooms made it just SO CRAZY. for a little while everything was so funny to me and i couldnt help laughing. before the movie started words came up on the screen and i looked and it was in another language, which i know now that it couldnt have been. but i was staring at the tv for a minute trying to think if it was really in another language, because thats all i could see. then during the rest of the movie it was so weird. its like the movie was all about me. the movie was about a guys life and the decisions he made and shit.if you were in my shoes you would know how crazy it was that every little thing in the movie related to something i have done/ or could do. i dont remember all of what happened, but i remember it was crazy. at one point everything just started moving really fast, and then at the same time my stomache was like going in and out just as fast. then the movie would go back to normal, so would my stomache. then, THIS SHIT IS CRAZY, all of a sudden im layin there watchin this when the movie changed suddenly. there was 2 chinese guys in like an office and they did karate moves and flipped over the desk in like super speed. they then talked to another chinese person, but a woman this time. they were talkin in chinese so i couldnt understand, but then there was a line in english ( you kno how they do that they have like the words in english so you can read it). well that happened, i dont remember what it said though. but i was BUGGIN OUT. i cant believe that happened i thought i was goin crazy. it was a crazy experience, i cant wait to do it again. i have never hallucinated that much.

--------------------
Holla

Invisibleredgreenvines
irregular verb
 User Gallery

Re: FAQ 49.What are hallucinations really, and what do they look like? [Re: ShRooMHeAdJ]
    #3446090 - 12/04/04 02:42 PM (19 years, 3 months ago)

What are hallucinations?

as we get more besaged or stoned, the following is noticeable by all people:
richer colors,
tastier tastes,
lingering sounds,
yummier tactile contact etc.
it is like a doubling or tripling of the essence of each sensory input.
this is true and undisputed.

Having studied neurophysiology, I can tell you that what causes the enrichment is the slower fading out of the incoming signals, which indeed is the doubling and tripling of the essence of experiencing.
stuff lasts longer - hence richer red on red is more red, yellow on yellow etc.

when we get more stoned, the lack of fading out permits a few really strange phenomena:

we find perhaps 3 or 4 overlays of color rich, but 5 or 6 makes things go into a complete cartoon reality.
move your head or eye and some of the reality falls behind leaving tracers (as lingering vision hesitates to fade away)

thoughts and memories also have the same propensity to fade more slowly or to bunch up.
you could easily be at the end of a thought sequence as the beginning is not yet faded and noticing that you could easily have a second go etc. mucltiple cycles and echoes occur.

anyway I call all this the stacking up of frames, the bunching up of mind moments as they fade more slowly.

when we are really stoned, anything recalled and seen can be layered together.
I mean seen, not yet perceived or interpreted.
when we see we get fractions of low resolution images, our eyes scan aa bit and our mind knits it into rich meaningful tableaus of vision, but our preperceptive vision is like a low resolution computer vision, fragments of curves colors edges and textures.

so really stoned means heavily frame stacked with reduced processing and fragmentary vision, layered and persisted.

am I getting close to the generality of hallucination fro anyone out there?

THe specifics of it are extremely hard to remember since one needs the stacking of frames to really put it back, or to achieve enough context for it to gel, and of course to make it hang around long enough to notice.

next time you get stoned that will happen and often you get to revisit simmilar visions.

--------------------
:confused: _ :brainfart:🧠  _ :finger:

OfflineJacquesCousteau
Being.
Male User Gallery

Loc: Everywhere, Everytime.
Re: FAQ 49.What are hallucinations really, and what do they look like? [Re: mecreateme]
    #3446139 - 12/04/04 03:05 PM (19 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

mecreateme said:
Hallucinations are just icing on the cake. Wrapping paper on the present.

I really like this analogy, because once you've actually found the present inside the wrapping paper seems completely trivial and useless.

I have the most insane and incredible visuals after I "find the present" but I could care less, because I've found something so much more incredible.

OfflineRoseM
Devil's Advocate
Female User Gallery

Re: FAQ 34. What are hallucinations really, and what do they look like? [Re: Rose]
    #4205699 - 05/22/05 01:31 AM (18 years, 9 months ago)

HELP! This question has no answer! I'll get to work on it, but if someone could point me towards some scientific links concerning hallucinations, we'll have an answer more quickly.

Everybody has their opinion of hallucinations, but what is the "Official" word?

Here's the answer so far... :frown:

34. What are hallucinations really, and what do they look like?

Also, remember to talk about shared hallucinations.

--------------------
Fiddlesticks.

Invisiblekake Happy Birthday!
The answer to1984 is 1776.
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: The 66th harmonic
Re: FAQ 34. What are hallucinations really, and what do they look like? [Re: redgreenvines]
    #4206375 - 05/22/05 11:20 AM (18 years, 9 months ago)

I like the way you put that redgreenvines, you are very right on the basic level I believe.  The problem is, the brain is SO complex that its more than just the framing action you describe which is probably the easiest to first figure out, there are other novelty actions going on as well that are a lot harder to nail with words, but I think what you've described is pretty much the juice of it.  You can apply it to a lot of things while tripping, even things like laughing your socks off, the idea that something is funny makes us laugh purely becuase of knowledge and personality is thrown out, rather it relies more on chemical reactions in the brain, and the prolongment of those reactions (the lack or slowing of the fade effect) causes laughter to build almost exponentially.

sunday morning ramblings, hope that makes sense :smile:

--------------------
The answer to 1984 is 1776.

OfflineRoseM
Devil's Advocate
Female User Gallery

Re: FAQ 34. What are hallucinations really, and what do they look like? [Re: kake]
    #4212837 - 05/24/05 12:44 AM (18 years, 9 months ago)

Here's something:

Quote:

trendal said:
A couple years ago some researchers designed a computer program that mimicks the human visual cortex. They fed it the program equivalent of LSD and it produced "hallucinations" remarkably similar to those reported by people taking LSD or mescaline.

Quote:

trendal said:
Secrets of an acid head

New Scientist vol 170 issue 2296 - 30 June 2001, page 26

Tripping on hallucinogenic drugs reveals more about our inner selves than the hippies ever bargained for, says Dana Mackenzie

IN A DORM ROOM dimly lit by a lava lamp, a freshman awaits the beginning of his first LSD trip. Slowly, the walls come alive and begin to dance with colour. And then he sees whirling spirals of stars that disappear into the distance. A network of cobwebs that grows across the room. An infinite subway tube, surrounded by fluorescent lights...

Across campus, his science teachers experience their own psychedelic visions?but without resorting to illegal mind-altering substances. Jack Cowan, a mathematician and neuroscientist at the University of Chicago, has built a neural network so powerful it can trip out. His computer's hallucinations match with almost spooky accuracy the visions of acid trippers, shamans and seers?visions that have always been interpreted as revelations from a transcendental consciousness.

Now, after more than two decades, Cowan and his team think they have found where hallucinations really come from. And there's nothing transcendental about it. An LSD trip is really a journey into the brain, says Cowan. "It's just the innate tendency of the brain to make patterns when it goes unstable."

Cowan's goal is to find out how the brain makes sense of the visible world?not when we're tripping, but under ordinary circumstances. In the process, he may learn how it breaks down in other extraordinary conditions, such as migraine headaches. Hallucinations could even offer a route to the more profound depths of the mind, to emotions and conscious thought.

Hallucinations seem to come in an endless variety, as individual as dreams. So it seems improbable that they can even be categorised, never mind calculated by a computer. But in the 1920s, Heinrich Kl?ver, a neuroscientist at the University of Chicago, discovered they did indeed fall into a number of distinct categories. Kl?ver interviewed dozens of people who had taken the drug mescaline, and even took it himself. Keeping a commendably straight head, Kl?ver eventually saw patterns in the patterns.

In the earliest stages of a trip, most subjects reported seeing abstract, geometrical images. Other writers have noted the same thing. "The typical mescaline or lysergic acid experiment begins with perceptions of coloured, moving, living geometrical forms," wrote Aldous Huxley in 1954 in Heaven and hell. "In time, the pure geometry becomes concrete, and the visionary perceives, not patterns, but patterned things, such as carpets, coverings, mosaics." Kl?ver classified these patterns into four types or "form-constants": tunnels, spirals, cobwebs and honeycombs.

Unlike Huxley and Kl?ver, Cowan has never sampled the drugs he studies. "I feel bad about it," he says. "I have to rely on all these reports in the literature." He also hears plenty of personal accounts from students and others who attend his lectures. "Some people see these illusions when they're going to sleep or waking up," Cowan says. "People have seen them after taking anaesthetics. People claim to see them when they meditate, or have so-called near-death experiences." Cowan believes that the "tunnel of light" illusion commonly reported in near-death experiences is simply the first of Kl?ver's four form-constants.

Cowan was turned on to the study of hallucinations from an unexpected direction. In 1977 he was working on pattern formation with graduate student Bard Ermentrout when he stumbled across illustrations of Kl?ver's patterns. "We saw immediately that the hallucination patterns were similar to convection patterns," says Cowan.

The convection of hot water involves a delicate interplay of forces. When a pan of water is heated from below, the hot water at the bottom is more buoyant than the water above, and tries to rise. If the temperature difference is not too great, the lower layer sheds its heat by diffusion before it can rise very far, so the water remains stable. But at a certain critical temperature, diffusion is not enough to cool off the lower layer, so plumes of hot water start to rise. Between each pair of rising plumes, cold water descends, so a pattern spontaneously emerges: rolling tubes of water that form parallel stripes, or square or hexagonal cells. Cowan guessed that hallucinations must also be spontaneous patterns of activity produced by two competing forces?this time in the brain. One, like the water's buoyancy, tends to excite neurons while the other, like the diffusion of heat, tends to calm them down. He speculated that this could happen in the primary visual cortex, sometimes called V1. This is a layer of tissue two to three millimetres thick at the back of the brain which serves as the first layer of processing for images gathered by the retina.

To test their idea, Ermentrout and Cowan developed a mathematical model of V1 and gave it a dose of virtual LSD. Their model reflects the fact that each neuron tends to excite its neighbours and inhibit those a little farther away. Then when the eye sees a large, featureless object, like a big red blob of paint, every neuron in the middle of the image will be excited by nearby neurons and inhibited by those farther away. So it receives no net input from other neurons. It's the brain's way of saying, "There's nothing interesting happening here."

LSD upsets this balance. One of the effects of the drug is to allow neurons to fire when there is nothing in the visual field. Ordinarily, a neuron won't start firing unless the input from the retina and from neighbours exceeds a critical threshold. This ensures that if a neuron fires by mistake, it won't convince its neighbours to fire and the activity dies out. But drugs can lower the threshold?LSD does it by making the brainstem secrete less of the inhibitory chemical serotonin. If the threshold is lowered far enough, then excitation starts to beat inhibition, and spontaneous waves of activity form in the brain. It's like turning up the heat under the pan of water. The first patterns that form will be the same ones that are seen in the water: parallel stripes, checkerboards and hexagons.

So why don't LSD users see parallel stripes across their visual field? Because these patterns are in the cortex, not the retina, Cowan reasoned. A lot of cortical real estate is devoted to objects close to the centre of the field of vision, where our sight is sharp, while relatively little is used for peripheral vision. Mapped onto the cortex, an ordinary scene is grossly distorted: objects near the centre loom large, taking up most of the brain area. When you run this distortion backwards, evenly spaced parallel lines in the cortex appear sucked together into the centre of the visual field, creating the visual impression of either a spiral or a tunnel. The regular checkerboard and hexagon patterns turn into spiralling squares or hexagons.

So more than half a century after Kl?ver set out his form-constants, two of them were finally explained. LSD users see spirals and tunnels because those are the real-world objects that fit the patterns of neural firing in their cortex. Timothy Leary, the guru of "tune in, turn on, drop out" fame, speculated in The Psychedelic Experience, "These visions might be described as pure sensations of cellular and sub-cellular processes." So just as Leary guessed, the spaced-out brain is tuning into its own architecture.

But what about the other two form-constants, the cobweb and honeycomb illusions? These are both lacy, filigree patterns, while water boils in fat rolls, so it's obvious the convection analogy won't work here. Cowan was confidant that his theory would provide the framework to understand these hallucinations, too.

In the 1980s, it became clear that the neurons in V1 are not sensitive simply to the position of an image on the retina. Most of them are sensitive to edges, firing if they sense an edge passing through a particular point in the visual field but remain silent if that point is similar to its surroundings. These cells are arrayed in little patches called hypercolumns that represent a particular part of space (see Diagram). Within the hypercolumn, each neuron responds to an edge at a slightly different orientation.

Edge-detecting neurons in the brain

Instead of signalling to their neighbours in the same hypercolumn, these neurons contact their counterparts in different columns, which represent similar orientations in slightly different parts of space. Then, if there really is an edge, neurons with the right orientation excite each other, so the brain is more likely to detect it.

These long-range connections seemed essential to understanding the last two hallucination types, but they added a new level of complexity to Cowan's mathematical model of the cortex. Hot water was no longer a good analogy, because the forces at work there?buoyancy and viscosity?are all short range. Now equations were needed to describe something long range and direction-sensitive. The maths turned out to be like those of a hot gas in a magnetic field.

Cowan and his graduate student Matthew Wiener programmed in these equations, and found many possible waveforms could result. But they couldn't tell which of these patterns would be the first to appear spontaneously. They needed someone who could combine an expert's understanding of quantum mechanics and neuroscience, and in 1998, Cowan found just the person. Paul Bressloff of Loughborough University in Leicestershire had trained as a specialist in quantum gravity, then taken a detour into neural networks. In a few months of intense work at Chicago, he helped Cowan and Marty Golubitsky of the University of Houston work out the waves of activity that should emerge spontaneously among orientation-sensitive cells. The results appeared earlier this year in Philosophical Transactions of the Royal Society (vol 356, p 1).

The winning patterns were those in which the edges naturally close up into small square or hexagonal cells. Cowan's theory precisely reproduces Kl?ver's two missing form-constants. When the fine-edged squares and hexagons on the cortex are filtered back through the retinal map, they look like lacy cobwebs and honeycombs.

So far so good. But has Cowan done any more than confirm a wiring pattern for the brain that neuroscientists had already worked out? He points out that to understand how the brain works, we need more than wiring: we have to know how these circuits actually behave.

In fact, Cowan's model does hint at this. One unexpected outcome is that subtle changes in the wiring of the model brain can cause significant changes to its preferred hallucination patterns. For example, if the long-range connections in the model always run between edge neurons that represent identical orientations, would generate hallucinations resembling herringbone twill. Clearly our brains are not wired this way; if they were, who knows what effect psychedelic visions of tweed blazers might have had on 1960s fashion. To produce cobwebs and hexagons, we actually need the connections to be a little more slapdash. Perhaps the human edge-detection system is wired this way because it helps us spot small, closed contours.

On the other hand, the herringbone patterns may emerge if the chemical stimulation is changed. Perhaps the theory can explain other kinds of visual disturbances that were thought to be unrelated to LSD hallucinations, such as the auras and zigzag patterns seen by people suffering a migraine attack. If so, it could tell us what changes in the brain cause migraines, and perhaps set us on course for a cure.

Lurking in the background is the much bigger issue of where the mind comes from. To what extent is the mind, and all the rich variety of inner experiences that gives us a sense of self, simply a product of physiological processes in the brain? Hallucinations could be a perfect place to start answering this question.

The apostles of the psychedelic sixties scorned the scientific approach to understanding an LSD trip. "Bobbing around in this brilliant, symphonic sea of imagery is the remnant of the conceptual mind," Leary wrote. "On the endless watery turbulence of the Pacific Ocean bobs a tiny open mouth, shouting (between saline mouthfuls), 'Order! System! Explain all this!'" To appreciate a hallucination, Leary said, you have to let go of the urge to rationalise it.

Tom Wolfe pitched in with The Electric Kool-Aid Acid Test. "The White Smocks liked to put it into words, like hallucination and dissociative phenomena. They could understand the visual skyrockets. Give them a good case of an ashtray turning into a Venus flytrap or eyelid movies of crystal cathedrals, and they could groove on that... That was swell. But don't you see??the visual stuff was just the d?cor with LSD... The whole thing was ... the experience ... this certain indescribable feeling ... The experience of the barrier between the subjective and the objective, the personal and the impersonal, the Iand the not-I disappearing ... that feeling!"

Cowan makes no apologies for being one of the White Smocks. He thinks that the "visual skyrockets" and that "certain indescribable feeling" are part and parcel of the same experience. As the drug penetrates to deeper and deeper areas of the brain?visual layers, cognitive layers, emotional layers and, finally, whatever part of the brain gives us our sense of self-awareness?our subjective experience becomes enormously more complicated and richer. And yet what's going on at the cellular level may not be so different at each layer.

"Does that mean that everything can be observed and described?" Cowan asks. "I happen to believe the answer is yes. I don't think there's anything in the brain that science can't ultimately deal with." But the answers aren't going to come along tomorrow. "There are a hundred vision chips, a hundred sound chips. We now understand a bit more about one of the vision chips," he says. Cowan is already planning to look at other aspects of visual hallucinations, such as texture and size perception.

Journeying deeper still into the mind might not be much harder. The neocortex, the layer of the brain that includes V1, is the part that evolved most recently. It is also the part that supposedly makes humans so intelligent. Because it hasn't been around long, its cells are all structurally quite similar, even if their functions are quite different. "The reason this is a note for optimism," says Gary Blasdel of Harvard University, "is that when you really understand the operations that go on in a particular cortical area, it will generalise to other areas." Cowan's computerised visions might just be the beginning of a really cool trip.

--------------------
Fiddlesticks.

OfflineRoseM
Devil's Advocate
Female User Gallery

Re: FAQ 34. What are hallucinations really, and what do they look like? [Re: Rose]
    #4212977 - 05/24/05 01:57 AM (18 years, 9 months ago)

Heh, and Blink added this to the FAQ! Thanks a bunch. Now, I'd like to add something about What causes hallucinations, a part about CEV and OEV hallucinations. And cross-sensory hallucinations (seeing a sound or hearing a color).

Thanks a million for getting the ball rolling!

34. What are hallucinations really, and what do they look like?

by: blinkidiot

There are two kinds of hallucinations; those based in reality and those seperate from reality.

Some examples of hallucinations based in reality are:

* Bending, breathing, and warping of visual dimensions
* Merging of the self (ego) with objects around you. My favorite of this is "I am the movie/music"
* Add more changed-reality alterations here.

Some examples of non-reality based hallucinations are:

* Seeing, hearing, feeling, smelling, or tasting things that are not there. Seeing a friend or realitve that is not present is only non-reality based when the person is not being hallucinated off of an object (ex: a bunch of pillows and blankets looks sort of like a person is reality-based; a person walking around talking to you is non-reality.)
* Add more mon-reality alterations here.

Sometimes while tripping you may not realize what is reality and what is an extension of your consiousness (or a true hallucination).

Shared Hallucinations
A shared hallucination is when you and another or several other persons recieve the same stimulus (same music, same movie, etc) and experience a hallucination in exactly the same way. Some people call this shared experience telepathy.

--------------------
Fiddlesticks.

Invisiblekake Happy Birthday!
The answer to1984 is 1776.
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: The 66th harmonic
    #4224302 - 05/26/05 08:48 PM (18 years, 9 months ago)

Thanks for the cool article Cervantes, it was very interesting... its pleasing to know there are neural scientists out there are utilizing the psychedelic experience for all its value, it obviously has much more to teach us than most will admit.

Btw, I get the honeycomb pattern all the time in CEVs.

--------------------
The answer to 1984 is 1776.

Offlineiateshaggy
i haxor 360s
Male User Gallery

Loc: 612 Warf Avenue, next to....
Re: FAQ 34. What are hallucinations really, and what do they look like? [Re: kake]
    #4224885 - 05/26/05 11:33 PM (18 years, 9 months ago)

here's my go at it. as for seeing pink elephants, you're tripping to hard to distinguish your thoughts from your vision. as far as visuals go, your eyes do not work like a camera, they work like many cameras with each individual rod and cone cell taking it's own picture and sending thousands of pictures to the brain to interpret at once. under the extreme pressure of hallucinagenic drugs, it can't keep up with the flow. to demonstrate how much your brain does to translate the signals sent from you eyes draw two pea size dots 4 inches on a paper. close your right eye and stare at the left dot. hold the paper close to your face and slowly pull it away. once it is about a foot away the dot on the right will disapear as it has entered a blind spot we all have 20 degrees left and right. when you have both eyes open your brain can fill in these spots. i guess my point is it is alot of work for us to not be hallucinating all the time.

--------------------
You are a filipina sex goddess who wants to fuck me until I fall asleep, so then you can tickle my balls and see if the legend of my diamond filled nutsuck is true.  I am a white man from costa rica, who smells like lime jello.

I can flash/jtag/repair 360's, pm for details.

Offlineiateshaggy
i haxor 360s
Male User Gallery

Loc: 612 Warf Avenue, next to....
Re: FAQ 34. What are hallucinations really, and what do they look like? [Re: iateshaggy]
    #4224904 - 05/26/05 11:37 PM (18 years, 9 months ago)

also, if anyone ever tells you you trip or hallucinate b/c your brain is bleeding please remind them what an aneurism is as well as an urban legend!!!

--------------------
You are a filipina sex goddess who wants to fuck me until I fall asleep, so then you can tickle my balls and see if the legend of my diamond filled nutsuck is true.  I am a white man from costa rica, who smells like lime jello.

I can flash/jtag/repair 360's, pm for details.

OfflineRoseM
Devil's Advocate
Female User Gallery

#4246478 - 06/01/05 11:54 PM (18 years, 9 months ago)

Bump... still waiting for a concise, official explination of hallucinations.

Any clue where I can find one?

Please help, I'm surprised how hard it has been to find an answer to this question.

--------------------
Fiddlesticks.

OfflineRoseM
Devil's Advocate
Female User Gallery

#4251666 - 06/03/05 09:03 AM (18 years, 9 months ago)

This has been added to the answer. Thanks Jinx, now I think I can give this question the seal of approval.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hallucinations
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hallucinogenic_drug

by: Jinx

A true hallucination is when one sees something that appears to be a real 3D object, yet no one else sees it.
A psuedo hallucination is what one percieves with eyes open (OEVs) or closed (CEVs) when "tripping".

Genetic researcher Fritz Popp of Kaiserslautern University in West Germany has determined that DNA has a resonant frequency that has a direct relation to the 66th harmonic of the frequency of the earth's rotation. This high frequency has to do with the scientifically recognized ability of DNA to communicate on the molecular level with light. In other words, when strands of DNA break apart during replication, they emit ultraviolet light, which encodes the DNA/RNA molecules in the nucleus. In the book "The Cosmic Serpent", Jeremy Narby postulates that the UV light projected by DNA is what one percieves with the pineal gland as psuedo hallucinations.

Suggested reading for a better understanding of hallucinations:

DMT - The Spirit Molecule by Rick Strassman
True Hallucinations and The Invisible Landscape by Terence McKenna
The Cosmic Serpent - DNA and the Origins of Knowledge by Jeremy Narby

http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Cat/0/Number/2064691

--------------------
Fiddlesticks.

Offlinealphaone
Big Detail
Male
    #4257094 - 06/04/05 07:08 PM (18 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

Tripping on hallucinogenic drugs reveals more about our inner selves than the hippies ever bargained for, says Dana Mackenzie

/snip/

Now, after more than two decades, Cowan and his team think they have found where hallucinations really come from. And there's nothing transcendental about it. An LSD trip is really a journey into the brain, says Cowan. "It's just the innate tendency of the brain to make patterns when it goes unstable."

According to this explanation when we trip we don't get to see any deeper reality nor come into better contact with the collective consciousness, but instead our brain tends to produce such pictures and feelings simply because it goes out of ballance?

Yhis approach begins with the premise that consciousness is only the result of chemicals interacting in the brain and that's the whole story. If you think you've experienced some other reality, this theory says - no. What you saw may have been elaborate and you might have felt it as something very profound and larger than ordinary consciousness, but it was all just your brain not functioning normally.

Isn't that too materialistic? There's something missing here. It suggests there's no reason to seek anything truly spiritual from psychedlic experience.

It may turn out that this explanation is correct, but I think it fails to explain phenomena like telepathy or ability to contact other entities, which is the reason most shamans take these drugs in the first place.

Even ordinary trippers from time to time manage to "converse" with plants or animals or indeed even with other humans on the mental level. These experiences remain valid and feel real even after the trip is over. So how would the materialistic theory explain this stuff?

Offlineoysterguy63
60's child

Loc: God's Country
Re: FAQ 34. What are hallucinations really, and what do they look like? [Re: alphaone]
    #4257697 - 06/04/05 10:24 PM (18 years, 9 months ago)

Bingo on the telepathy and ability to communicate with other entities, and knowing certain things you could not know. After my recent experiences, I am convinced it is far more than just a journey into our own brains, although that is clearly part of it. It opens us up to more abilities because the brain is functioning differently....just my opinion and I welcome yours.

--------------------
Oysters...yuummmmm

OfflineRoseM
Devil's Advocate
Female User Gallery

Re: FAQ 34. What are hallucinations really, and what do they look like? [Re: alphaone]
    #4257780 - 06/04/05 10:41 PM (18 years, 9 months ago)

Go ahead and add something to the answer if you feel it is missing.

:smile:

--------------------
Fiddlesticks.

OfflineHarryFlashmanVC
That BeastlyFlashy

Loc: Suffolk, England
    #4258971 - 06/05/05 07:34 AM (18 years, 9 months ago)

When I trip I often experience vivid hallucinations. These aren't of objects not in "reality" but generally distortions of reality. But its an interesting division between the "real" and the "false". I know for a fact that if I was sober those flowers wouldn't be dancing and growing at me.... so does that mean I'm seeing a distortion of a real object or something that isn't actually happening so therefore "unreal"?

Often my OEV's consist of objects stretching/growing. The ever present breathing and waving of everything. Pixellisation of surfaces and patterns is a visual effect I most commonly experience.

And audio hallucinations......? Now maybe you're catching sounds differently or sounds you wouldn't normally hear, but I think audio hallucinations can bring a new perspective to considering hallucinational reality.

Thinking about what generates hallucinations, a great deal must come from our own psyche's. But we don't live in vacuums and incidents can send you on radically different paths

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4  [ show all ]

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Grow Bags   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale