The other night my friend/roomate (Chris), my brother (Thad), and I were in our kitchen. Chris was washing out a cup with a sponge, sticking his hand in the glass. I hate having to do this, so I bought a dish brush. "hey man, I got that brush so you don't have to do that." I said. "Oh yeah, I forgot! Oh well, I'm just gonna do it like this." he replied. "Yeah, but that is such a pain in the ass! Why don't you just use the brush?" I asked. "Well because then I'd have to... (unimportant details)" he replied. "But you don't really have to (blah blah blah) to clean a glass..." Thad says. "Look can I just clean the glass how I want!" Chris said in an agitated voice. "Fine man, but I just know that I hate sticking my hand inside glasses like that." I said. "Well I'm not you, now can we just drop this!!" Even more agitated. "Fine man, just chill the fuck out! Why are you getting pissed off?" Me and thad ask. "Drop it!" "Fine, chill out!" "Drop it!!" "Fine, chill out!!" Drop it!!!" "Dude, it's dropped, just chill the fuck out!" **!!!SMASH!!!** Chris throws the glass at the floor and starts flipping out! My first instinct was to hit him, but I didn't because I knew this would not do any good.
At this point we all started yelling and screaming at each other. Me and my brother yelling that he needs to control his temper (a few weeks before he was drunk and punched a dent in our wall during a stupid argument over a feeder mouse), Chris yelling that we need to quit nitpicking everything he does. After a few seconds I just stormed up the stairs and yelled "Chris you need to chill the fuck out!!"
I sat in my room with my girlfriend for a few minutes listening to Thad tell Chris that if he doesn't start respecting our house that he's gonna get kicked out (he can't even afford food let alone rent any more expensive than the $300/month he's paying now). Chris said that we don't respect him, Thad said that we don't NEED to respect him because we own this fucking house and blah blah blah. This went on for a few minutes.
After a while Chris knocked on my door and I let him in. His eyes were red. We hugged and sat down on the floor. He was really hurt by his friend saying that we don't need to respect him. I told him that my brother says stuff without thinking about how it sounds before it comes out sometimes, but that he was right about him controlling his temper. I don't want to screw him over by kicking him out, but I don't want to let him keep flipping out and fucking shit up over dumb arguments.
I told him that when someone disrepects me I don't disrespect them back, but instead give them respect so that I am not in the wrong. This forces the other person to see the error in their ways instead of just being pissed at me. We hugged again and talked some more. He then went to his room.
I tried to talk to Thad, telling him that he took an approach in talking to Chris that made it harder to resolve the problem. Now all Chris could focus on was what Thad said about not having to respect him, instead of how he should act when he gets angry. I said that "...Jesus, Buddha, all of them, say that when someone wrongs you to turn the other cheek. Don't seek revenge. You tried to make him respect you out of fear of being kicked out. This never works..." At the mention of Jesus and Buddha he rolled his eyes and scoffed. "If this was some hippy, buddhist commune, he would've been kicked the fuck out for acting like that... I want him to have fear because next time he wants to act like that he might stop and think about where he's going to live..." This went on for a little longer. I told Thad that he needs to talk to Chris and straighten things out. He said he would when he saw him again, but that he was still pissed off.
Later that night I heard them both watching FRIENDS and laughing together. It seemed like everything was okay.
But I still feel like the heart of the issue wasn't resolved. I still feel like Chris needs help with his daily stress and his outbursts and that Thad needs to learn how to think before he speaks. They both need to learn how to deal with negative emotions, not just in situations like this, but in the rest of their lives too.
The next day I cut my foot on a peice of glass that chris missed while cleaning up. How symbolic of the way that our actions affect everyone in the future.
I'm proud of how I handled the situation though. I was able to forgive and let it slide. I tried to be the peacemaker; I don't know how well it worked, but at least I lived up to my philosophies which I am always preaching. But my heart races whenever I think of the situation, and I worry about it's implications in the future.
**....sigh....**
Peace and Love
Dr()mni
Edited by dr0mni (03/09/05 08:38 PM)
|