Home | Community | Message Board

MagicBag Grow Bags
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
InvisibleVeritas
 User Gallery
Respect
    #5085712 - 12/20/05 12:38 PM (18 years, 3 months ago)

Respect, approval, admiration...the golden carrots we hold out for ourselves.  Though we envision them in someone else's hand, just out of reach, requiring intricate steps and leaps of chasms to reach, I believe that they lie up our own sleeves.

Such a tricky sleight-of-hand is this!  Why fool ourselves so thoroughly?  Create the masterful illusion that others have power over us, like rulers presiding over gladiators in the arena...our very life dependent upon the upward or downward gesture of their thumbs.

The grand disillusionment for me came when I received the respect and admiration I sought from others...the grades, the promotion, the awards, the kudos, and it all fell endlessly, as if into a bottomless pit of longing.  :sad:

Nothing "hit home," no matter how it was presented.  The framed awards and certificates, the filed-away letters of accolade and recommendation, the pats on my back from those I had persuaded of my worth...had no impact beyond a momentary feeling of relief.

During the ensuing depression, I had months to consider the golden carrot.  Months to wonder if it existed, and, if so, how I could grasp it.  All my schemes to obtain it had failed.  The carrots I was handed were insubstantial, tissue paper cut-out carrots.

The light-bulb moment came after a long build-up of tiny victories which I intentionally did not boast of.  I did not bring them to the feet of the rulers to obtain approval, but kept them in my pocket.  I began to experience self-approval.  It was powerful, but still whispering, so I had to stop and really listen to get the message.

"Go, me!"  :grin:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineSm0keydaBear
Stranger
Re: Respect [Re: Veritas]
    #5085823 - 12/20/05 01:16 PM (18 years, 3 months ago)

Much respect to you for respecting your self, always should be number 1 of all things on a grandeur scale.  Mind if I take a go at this?  Sorry if I'm crappin on the thread but...

Respect, approval, admiration... things desired in self but thinking it is only found elsewhere beside.  As a young child still in mind, I believe we may find signs in our past when these actions once occurred.  In my vision, blurred, maybe because of the person I've become, but still a child, all I have left are words.

Such a tricky sleight-of-hand is this!  Why fool ourselves so thoroughly?  A question that deserves a good answer but is seldomly seen throughout sometimes our entire lives.  Foolishly I degrade My very own self to be dumbed down but at other times enter intricate schemes to view thyself as a mastermind...

What you would deem a disillusionment, some would deem accomplishments.  But at step one, maybe something I should have done for myself, would to view those accomplishments as your hard working efforts, but maybe they were effortless what would I know :wink:

Not much have I accomplished in my life, except to get to where I am in this day and age.  Maybe seen as someone who is good-hearted to heartless, the everything in-between I have missed are what makes me today.

And me, ahhhh, what a glamourous yet self-pitying being.  All to this very moment, ok not VERY moment but you get the jist, I'm still the idiot I was before.

"Go, me!"  :thumbup:

OfflineFrog
Warrior
Female User Gallery

Loc: The Zero Point Field
    #5088908 - 12/21/05 08:49 AM (18 years, 3 months ago)

Nice posts, smokey and veritas. Given me something to think about this morning.

--------------------
The day will come when, after harnessing the ether, the winds, the tides, gravitation, we shall harness for God the energies of love. And, on that day, for the second time in the history of the world, man will have discovered fire.  -Teilard

InvisibleIcelander
The Minstrel in the Gallery
Male

Loc: underbelly
    #5089247 - 12/21/05 10:23 AM (18 years, 3 months ago)

Such truth. The "secret" revealed. The illusive obvious. :heart:

--------------------
"Don't believe everything you think". -Anom.

" All that lives was born to die"-Anom.

With much wisdom comes much sorrow,
The more knowledge, the more grief.
Ecclesiastes circa 350 BC

Invisibleredgreenvines
irregular verb
 User Gallery

#5089322 - 12/21/05 10:40 AM (18 years, 3 months ago)

a sense of dignity, recognized or not
stands tall in the garden.

--------------------
:confused: _ :brainfart:🧠  _ :finger:

OfflineFrog
Warrior
Female User Gallery

Loc: The Zero Point Field
    #5090748 - 12/21/05 05:20 PM (18 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

Veritas said:
Respect, approval, admiration...the golden carrots we hold out for ourselves. Though we envision them in someone else's hand, just out of reach, requiring intricate steps and leaps of chasms to reach, I believe that they lie up our own sleeves.

I was thinking about those things today, and about why your post caught my attention and interest this morning. It's nice to have the respect, approval and admiration of others, but is that all that motivates us to do whatever it is we do?

Are we doing it because we want to or are we merely motivated by the attention we get from others? If no one was paying any attention at all, would we still be doing it? I wonder if Mother Theresa did what she did because she enjoyed the satisfaction she obtained from it or if she did it because of the respect, approval and admiration she ultimately

I think if we do things that cause us to have respect, approval and admiration of ourselves, we will enjoy what we do more than those things where we are doing it only to please others.

I know the egotistical part of me WANTS respect and admiration, but I have to quelch that part and focus on what's right. My ego can get me into a lot of trouble. Anyway, as long as I have my respect and admiration, I can sleep better at night.

--------------------
The day will come when, after harnessing the ether, the winds, the tides, gravitation, we shall harness for God the energies of love. And, on that day, for the second time in the history of the world, man will have discovered fire.  -Teilard

Offlinelysergicide
Aurora Borealis
Male

Loc: 41.8861° N, 12.4851° E
Re: Respect [Re: Frog]
    #5091021 - 12/21/05 06:29 PM (18 years, 3 months ago)

Do you guys respect me? :frown:

I RESPECT YOU!

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom