Home | Community | Message Board

Original Seeds Store
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Kraken Kratom Shop: Red Vein Kratom

Jump to first unread post Pages: < Back | 1 | 2  [ show all ]
OfflineFozzywaka
Stranger
Re: What is Music? [Re: cantara]
    #376452 - 08/22/01 01:42 PM (22 years, 7 months ago)

I totally agree with you. If you have interest in this, then you should surely listen to the Grateful Dead...they purposefully explored this concept and, in my opinion, came closest to wherever/whatever it is that makes/holds/creates music. I have notcied through my years of listening to this band that the closer they get to "it", the less they are playing and the closer to nothing the music becomes....this is very interesting considering the fact that one of their philosophies was to play music without ego...and what is a person without ego? Someone who has no superficialities/personalioty, etc... And what is the greatest good? It is what makes everything exist and therefore consists of evreything and has no superfiucial characteristics...it is nothing...nothing makes everything exist...yin/yang, etc... hopefully that rambling made sense...
In any case, if you have any interest... I reccomend you purchase Grateful Dead: Hundred Year Hall... This is IT...particularly the second disc.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineBBin
BlueOvertoneStorm

Loc: The Netherlands
Re: What is Music? [Re: CosmicJoke]
    #376907 - 08/23/01 05:22 AM (22 years, 7 months ago)

Tri repetea and Amber are some of my favourite albums. All the stuff after chaistic slide and lp5 is just too 'intelligent', its only about the clever technique and something so avantgardishly soophistykated that it just looses any meaning for me, and i can find no feeling but weirdness in it, disconnection, nonassociated patterns that walk blindly through a universe of similar patterns without ever touching the base of the structure, estrangement and disillusion. None of the emotions i felt in their older work.

I didnt say we cant understand music with thoughts, we can, but its just that, understanding it. Realising the patterns, seeing how four diffenerent cycles are also in harmony when you just look at them from a higher point of view, from a greater cycle, understanding it as a kind of mathematics. And i can see how one can get into high states of awareness just through focussing on the music through the mind, identifying with but not getting restricted by the part of yourself which is 'understanding it;.
But thats not what i was trying to describe. For me at least, the true meaning of music manifests when you are fully into it, into the trance, flowing with the waveforms of sound, then something manifests itself to the soul (or whatever) something that transcends mind and thought, a feeling of togetherness that is in full harmony with the flow of existance, so strong yet so subtle that only the heart can perceive and feel it.
Just Food for Feelings ;)

Thought is born blind but Mind knows what is Seeing

--------------------
Thought is born blind but Mind knows what is Seeing

InvisibleCosmicJokeM
happy mutant
 User Gallery

Loc: Portland, OR
Re: What is Music? [Re: BBin]
    #377094 - 08/23/01 11:50 AM (22 years, 7 months ago)

Ahhh, I'm really digging their new work, particularly Confield and their last EP. It's not easy music to understand, by any means. Too many people at the concert they played in Columbus, OH were acting as if though they were protecting their virginity. It was just too much, too overstimulating. Not for me, each sound carressed through my entire being, creating deep, rich feelings admist the apparent chaos. Those boys know what they're doing.
All I'd like to argue is that when it comes to chakras, you exist on all of them - when you're stuck on a level, it becomes absolutely real. Enlightenment is realizing the relative realities. Our rational mind, when unattached to it, is a divine servant. All too often, I would be at a Phish show tripping on sunshine riding the Soul (such a fantastic band, incredible energy), but there was so much I didn't understand about what was going on musically. There was so much to learn about that would enrich everything about the performance. We can notice 'things' without losing synchronization, because the whole process of noticing is different.
I know sometimes after a show it can be kind of embarassing when I talk to others and they say "Yah, what about that Chalkdust Torture! Man, it was so phat. 17 minutes long! Haha" They really couldn't compare it to any other chalkdust torture, they didn't understand it musically, they understood it through its thrill of energy and the way they feel. In fact, you can have both/and.
We got sensations, thrills, semantics, ecstatic, and visionary states (and beyond)
I'm not talking about identifying with the semantic state. Imagine all these states like facets of a gem in which you're decentered from it. You're free to put your awareness where you want it. When it comes to music, there's a reason to watch things that interest you. The reason is that there's no longer a you deciding what is interesting or what is not, from a decentered place, things that are interesting prove themselves to be interesting merely by Being interest.
Listening to music is an art.
Peace.

--------------------
Everything is better than it was the last time.  I'm good.

If we could look into each others hearts, and understand the unique challenges each of us faces, I think we would treat each other much more gently, with more love, patience, tolerance, and care.

It takes a lot of courage to go out there and radiate your essence.

I know you scared, you should ask us if we scared too.  If you was there, and we just knew you cared too.

OfflineHmmm69
Stranger
Re: What is Music? [Re: CosmicJoke]
    #377860 - 08/24/01 02:20 PM (22 years, 7 months ago)

U guys way over think music, music was created by the human brain. Heres was i think, as our brain went through evalution, our body decided to go for the intellectual side of life, istead of claws and stuff, soo ass our brain evolved into better learner and tool maker, as a side effect other parts advanced too, cause all parts of the brain work togethor, soo everything has to be in sync, as our brains grew, other parts grew, parts that usually weren't very important, soo all this hard work is being put into something that can't realyl do much, soo what does the brain do? It creates something for it, like speach for example, or math or art or music, each person has a gift, already in their genes, i don't believe someone can learn to draw, it is either there or it isn't, now to some extent someone can draw, it's in everyone, but the brain didn't focus on this. Same with music, some people can just hear it in their head, but music wasn't always around, it came around kinda like agriculture, one cro-magnon was sitting around and heard a noise, and he tried to replicate the noice, or he saw a bird make a noise, and he liked it, it made him happy, and as he strived to create this noise, he passed it down to his group,and as they traveled and spread soo did this prehistoric music, and as technology advanced, diffrent tools for making music advanced, like from the stone age to the iron age.

Invisibledoolhoofd
doolhoofd.com
Male User Gallery

Loc: Dorsia
Re: What is Music? [Re: cantara]
    #28109469 - 12/23/22 03:09 AM (1 year, 3 months ago)

Quote:

cantara said:
Anyone on here ever asked themselves, while tripping or not, What is music?
I don't mean what do you call music and what do you not call music - I mean it literally - what is it?

"The big question is: "What Is Music?" It seems an easy question to answer, because we are all so familiar with music. But being familiar with something is not the same thing as knowing what it is."
(Skipping forward to)
"Current Hypotheses, Assumptions And Ideas About Music:
Music Induces An Altered State Of Mind.
The primary effect of music, and the primary biological function of music, is to induce an altered state of mind."
Source: https://whatismusic.info

--------------------
Penny: 'What are you and Professor FussyFace up to tonight?'
Leonard: "Star Wars on Blu-ray."
Penny: 'Haven't you seen that movie like, a thousand times?'
Leonard: "Not on Blu-ray. Only twice on Blu-ray."
Penny: 'Oh, Leonard...'
Leonard: "I know. It's high-resolution sadness."
- The Big Bang Theory, S07E09

Invisibleredgreenvines
irregular verb
 User Gallery

Re: What is Music? [Re: doolhoofd]
    #28109504 - 12/23/22 04:31 AM (1 year, 3 months ago)

yes of course that is what it does,
but
what is not music,
and what do we want to find and to bring together in the making of music?

--------------------
:confused: _ :brainfart:🧠  _ :finger:

Invisibledoolhoofd
doolhoofd.com
Male User Gallery

Re: What is Music? [Re: redgreenvines]
    #28109527 - 12/23/22 06:09 AM (1 year, 3 months ago)

Quote:

redgreenvines said:
what is not music

Logical answer:
Banality. :tp:

https://journals.uvic.ca/index.php/ctheory/article/view/14593/5444 :: Dust Breeding by Jean Baudrillard

Art by James Flaxman @ https://www.deviantart.com/jflaxman/art/Magic-Unicorn-276954920

--------------------

Invisibleredgreenvines
irregular verb
 User Gallery

#28109551 - 12/23/22 06:49 AM (1 year, 3 months ago)

tropes and attitude are not a substitute for analysis.
I get that you like music and hate fluffy pink slippers and a fat smelly drunk unicorn

what are you doing here?

--------------------

Invisibledoolhoofd
doolhoofd.com
Male User Gallery

#28109607 - 12/23/22 08:04 AM (1 year, 3 months ago)

Quote:

redgreenvines said:
what are you doing here?

Posting, evidently. :tongue:
You asked me a question, I answered it by sharing some art and some wisdom.

--------------------

Invisibleredgreenvines
irregular verb
 User Gallery

#28109631 - 12/23/22 08:25 AM (1 year, 3 months ago)

I guess it's like the pub.

--------------------

Invisibledoolhoofd
doolhoofd.com
Male User Gallery

#28109669 - 12/23/22 09:01 AM (1 year, 3 months ago)

Quote:

redgreenvines said:
and what do we want to find and to bring together in the making of music?

Question answered here:

--------------------

Invisibleredgreenvines
irregular verb
 User Gallery

#28109760 - 12/23/22 10:28 AM (1 year, 3 months ago)

oh well.

--------------------

OfflineFreedom
Pigment of your imagination
Male User Gallery

#28112956 - 12/26/22 02:31 PM (1 year, 3 months ago)

what is?

is a wedge between a music listener and the music

Edited by Freedom (12/26/22 02:31 PM)

Jump to top Pages: < Back | 1 | 2  [ show all ]

Kraken Kratom Shop: Red Vein Kratom