Home | Community | Message Board

World Seed Supply
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2  [ show all ]
Offlinefireworks_godS
Sexy.Butt.McDanger
Male

Loc: Pandurn
Musicians are geniuses.....some are!
    #1751206 - 07/26/03 05:33 PM (20 years, 8 months ago)

I am thinking that this might end up as a long post. Fair warning.

Anybody can play guitar, drums, bass, keyboards, sing, etc. How good they can do that, it depends on a lot of things. Their intelligence, how well they apply, how much time they spend on honing their craft, all come into play. A redneck who is racist and loves drinking and brawling could be a sucessful leader of a band. A kid who never really fit in with his suburban friends and found his own life on his own could be a sucessful leader of a band. A rich, college-taught music theory master could be a sucessful leader of a band.
A musician is just like any other person in the world. They have had their own experiences, they have their own desires (obviously, centered around the world of music, I'm keeping it defined for time's sake as a member of a rock and roll band). Some musicians might be in a band to pursue riches and fame. Some, a way to fund their drug or sex addictions. Some might be in it simply because they like to play their guitar, whether or not they want to play in front of people (the guy from The Vines hates touring and has given sucicide threats). Kurt Cobain ended up hating the crowd (while some are in it only for the love of the crowd). Some musicians might have anger and ego problems (Fred Durst), and some might spread messages of love and peace (Santana). Some musicians might use music to spread the word of Satanism (very few do this, most are inaccurately accused of this, with no basis whatsoever, some do it to provoke, some bands, like Cradle of Filth, Mercyful Fate, etc. do practice Satanism), while others praise Christianity (P.O.D., Creed, etc). The bassist for The Deftones is a practicing Buddhist. Gene Simmons of KISS keeps the band running soley for profit (this seems to be an interest of Lars Ulrich from Metallica, as well).
What messages do musicians strive to spread? Fuck...what message do you strive to spread? Obviously, some musicians are going to appear to be blathering idiots (chances are, they are), while some may sound like a Harvard graduate (I remember Tom Morello of Audioslave being described as such).
Does music end up being commercialized? Fuck yeah. There are massive organizations constructed soley around music, capitalizing on it (record companies, press syndicates, etc). Just like sports, movies, etc. Art has always been collected and sold. Does this reflect the people that make the music? No, unless of course, that is the reason they are in it in the first place. Most artists want their work to be distributed, for whatever reason, and I don't see a problem with this. They enter a tedious, symbiotic relationship with the business side of things. I remember a member of Iron Maiden saying that they weren't in it for the money, but they aren't going to refuse...
Can the way musicians are sometimes portrayed in the press be a true reflection of themself? Ever been asked the same fucking question, day in and day out, thousands of times? Some basically give interviews off of a script. A lot of media is twisted to sell records, or to gain publicity for the media itself. Some musicians revel in the fact that they are the center of such a buzz, so many people wanting to talk to them. Some musicans hate it, and it ruins why they were in the business in the first place.... Just because a business is pushing and selling their music, it doesn't mean that the musician themself is controlled by that.
No musician has been the same as any other musican, before or after them. George Harrison of the Beatles always did what he wanted to do, didn't fancy the spotlight, while Tommy Lee has always loved being the center of attention. AC/DC has always made music about sex, having fun and fucking rocking out, while Rage Agansit the Machine brought with their music a political agenda. Marilyn Manson and Alice Cooper have both always been about the theatrical performance, how can we determine what kind of people they are in real life (or about anyone in general, which is sort of the point)?
Being a musican doesn't carry with it any sort of responsibility or agenda, unless the musicians themselves decide to. I don't force you to care about the state of the world. How can we judge the character of someone by the way the appear in the press, in their music videos, on stage, or by the music they make? How can we judge anyone?
Anyways, I'm closing this now. Maybe I've made a point, maybe not. And, on a side note, is the musician who spread the idea of something, say, world peace, to blame when world peace isn't realized? They aren't the majority of the world. They aren't the ones who need to take action on world peace. They are just getting the message out there.
Peace.

--------------------
:redpanda:
If I should die this very moment
I wouldn't fear
For I've never known completeness
Like being here
Wrapped in the warmth of you
Loving every breath of you

:heartpump: :bunnyhug: :yinyang:

:yinyang: :levitate: :earth: :levitate: :yinyang:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleShroomismM
Space Travellin
Male User Gallery
Folding@home Statistics
Loc: 9th Dimension Flag
Re: Musicians are geniuses.....some are! [Re: fireworks_god]
    #1751577 - 07/26/03 08:37 PM (20 years, 8 months ago)

Heh...music rules.

I strive for creating mind-blowing symphonies of metal masterpieces... classical jazz fusion meet thrash metal. Music makes me feel good, damn good. I also live for the crowd, nothing like being on stage and having people feeding off your energy and you feeding off theirs. It's an amazing symbiotic relationship, one of my favorite feelings on this physical plane.

As far as a message, we try not to define things very clearly, so as to leave room for interpretation.. but at the same time pushing the general idea we wish to explore. We are about formlessness, maintaining the flexibility of water. Do not constrict yourself to any particular shape, go with the flow. Our basic message is about finding yourself, exploring consciousness, living life..

I like music that makes you think, I like things when they are technical, and complex..there must be different elements and dynamics involved.. different feelings must be conveyed..there can be many levels to any song. I like music that has flowing melodies, smooth harmonies, unexpected changes, progressions, build-ups, crescendos, mellow sections.. so much more can be explained or felt through music than through words alone.

Go with the flow...

--------------------

Offlinefireworks_godS
Sexy.Butt.McDanger
Male

Re: Musicians are geniuses.....some are! [Re: Shroomism]
    #1751640 - 07/26/03 09:07 PM (20 years, 8 months ago)

Hehe. You've got me started now, Shroomism, I believe it may be time for me to ramble on about what MY tastes are in music; what I listen to, why, and what I am to achieve with my own group. (Favorite subject, oh it's my favourite subject, so be prepared)So, here goes, without further adieu:

My tastes in music are defined by what sounds good to ME. I have listened to a lot of music, and I have a narrow perspective of what is exactly what I like (which basically defines what I'll be going for with my group), and a lot of music that I listen to that interests me. Music, to me, has got to be dynamic. The more dynamic it is, the less "two-dimensional" it is. The larger vocabulary a band has, the more interesting it is to me.
It is all about the metal, the core of my tastes would be Metallica, In Flames (pay attention to the picture in my signature) and what I will lump together as the Scandanavian bands (Dark Tranquility, Children of Bodom, Opeth), Iron Maiden, Tool, System of a Down, Megadeth, Mudvayne, Black Sabbath, and Cradle of Filth.
I like flowing melodies (sorry, Shroomism, but I can't seem to find a better adjective) and the searing harmonies found in IN FLAMES and Iron Maiden, the fucking heavyness of Metallica and Mudvayne, the speed of Megadeth, the melodic and intelligent lyrics of Tool and System of a Down, and the sense of arrangement and different moods that Opeth delivers. I also like a lot of trance music (Astral Projection, Infected Mushroom, SPHONGLE).
My band is going to be unlike anything heard before, but yet, like all revoultionary and original sounding bands, be comprised of the different parts of what we listen to. Each song is going to have something unique going on, and the possible arrangements of different dynamics are endless. It will basically be hard music with a lot of melody and flow (can't get by without using some of Shroomism's words, I guess we do listen to a lot of the same music), to sum it up. I can't really explain all of the concepts of how different songs will go, but it will always have a lot energy and feel, a lot of different contrasts and elements, and will be played, of course, with spot-on technique.
Everyone involved so far with the band has been striving for their own unique approach to their instrument and playing technique, and are all really great at playing. It will inevitably add up to something completely original and tasty, and I don't see it NOT having a lot of appeal to a large audience (System of a Down, Tool big). I don't see a problem with this, as I am only going to be making the music that I want to make, based on elements of what I like to listen to, and the result seems to be great.
I haven't had the thrill of the CONNECTION that Shroomism mentioned, playing in front of an audience, but everytime I watch my Metallica tapes, or am at a show, I feel it and can't wait to be up there. The music will have a great attitude for being played live, energetic as fuck with a great live feel.
Our music is going to have a purpose, a reason and a message. There are certain things in this world that I hope to try to correct, using what I am good at to get the message out there (music has always been about challenging people's way of thinking, I believe).
I know I promise a lot, but this is what I am dedicated to (this isn't a drive to get material wealth, or anything like that... but I'll appreciate THAT. this is what I do, and where I want to be. This is ME). This is where I found my life's meaning, and this is what I will die doing (damn, don't want to be ominous, I'll end up like Cliff Burton). How about, this is what I will die doing, but I won't die until I'm very old. (whew!).
I'll keep everyone posted as I head out into all of this (I am leaving Thursday for Norway, where I will be carving my bass style, which is already basically defined, into stone, trying to find a really good vocalist, and spending some time in a band or two, getting some experience). When I come back, my band will be put back together, and that's where the fun begins...
Peace.

--------------------
I wouldn't fear
Like being here

Edited by fireworks_god (07/26/03 09:20 PM)

OfflineGrav
 User Gallery

Loc: Flag
    #1751653 - 07/26/03 09:12 PM (20 years, 8 months ago)

fireworks, you need MORE PARAGRAPHS!!!! heheh

Offlinefireworks_godS
Sexy.Butt.McDanger
Male

Re: Musicians are geniuses.....some are! [Re: Grav]
    #1751657 - 07/26/03 09:14 PM (20 years, 8 months ago)

Sorry, my bad. Just a second, I'll rearrange.
Peace.

--------------------
I wouldn't fear
Like being here

OfflineGrav
 User Gallery

Loc: Flag
Re: Musicians are geniuses.....some are! [Re: Grav]
    #1751659 - 07/26/03 09:14 PM (20 years, 8 months ago)

good points, too.. i decided to brave the ocean of words...

InvisibleShroomismM
Space Travellin
Male User Gallery
Folding@home Statistics
    #1751673 - 07/26/03 09:24 PM (20 years, 8 months ago)

Holy shit man... you sound like me. Are you my astral counterpart or something? What the fuck... We must exist in parallel dimensions or something.. the bands you named.. In Flames.. Bodom.. Opeth..Megadeth..Shpongle.. every one you named is up there in my listening category. And exactly.. what good music is is what sounds good to YOU. You write the music for yourself, and if other people enjoy it, well then fuck yeah. I too will be playing music until I die, or at least writing it.
The connection between fans and musician is the most amazing thing I cannot even describe. That is a feeling that you *never* forget. It is one thing when you create music that makes you feel good... it's a whole different level when others that aren't you are really getting into it and enjoying it. Making music that people enjoy is a good feeling, my god, fuck.. I love it.
Considering your perspective I think it would be a good thing if we connected in the future for a musical collaboration of some kind.. whether it be our bands playing some shows together or making some original music I think it would be wise. My band has been together for about 6 years but we haven't done much as far as gigs until recently.. we've just spent the time improving as musicians and constantly crafting new songs and honing our abilities. Soon we'll be in the studio with some quality recorded material and then we'll be doing more shows. It's going to be a blast.
Music is my passion also, it is what I eat, sleep and breathe. I live for it. Long live the ever-evolving harmonies of music and the human thought process tapping into the eternal energy of the cosmos!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  :mushroom2: :mushroom2: :mushroom2: :mushroom2: :mushroom2: :mushroom2: :mushroom2: :mushroom2: :mushroom2: :mushroom2: 

--------------------

OfflineMeph
Synesthesiac

Loc: Qu?bec
    #1751679 - 07/26/03 09:25 PM (20 years, 8 months ago)

A great thread! Both of your posts were a very good read.

As I'm not a musical artist, I will try and explain what listening to music is to me:

I like listening to music alone, while I am not distracted by anything else. I walk. I listen. But then, something happens. It happens in waves to finally reach a peak, where I am left dumbfounded and sometimes shaken, even tears of joy sometimes roll down my cheeks.

Music is like a river. My thoughts are wooden logs being carried by it. They make ninety degree turns, spin on themselves, they are influenced by all of the waves that bounce them around.

Beats, melodies and sound patterns shape my thoughts and allow them to flow freely; I can feel my consciousness being fed the music. In fact, a feeling of comforting and refreshing rejuvenation spreads down my spine, sending feelings of contentment and peace to the very tip of my fingers, all while my brain is busy with making complex deductions.

Music is canned awareness. Packaged emotion.

:heart: 

--------------------
I'm a bipedal carbon-based pseudo-random number generator.

Demonstration: 152.

InvisibleShroomismM
Space Travellin
Male User Gallery
Folding@home Statistics
Re: Musicians are geniuses.....some are! [Re: Meph]
    #1751682 - 07/26/03 09:27 PM (20 years, 8 months ago)

Excellent!!!  :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:  :thumbup:

Every particle in existance vibrates at certain frequencies.

Music is a vibration, with infinite variations.

'nuff said. 

--------------------

Offlinefireworks_godS
Sexy.Butt.McDanger
Male

#1751716 - 07/26/03 09:48 PM (20 years, 8 months ago)

I've been noticing the similarities myself, for a little while now.
And I am definitely interested in doing some shows, doing a side project, too. We could create a new scene, the way new scenes are created. (Metallica and Anthrax? hehe IN FLAMES and Dark Tranquility?)
I like what you said about just playing together, honing the craft and the skills and whatever. Back when we were together, we'd just play down in the basement.
The shitty punk band we were friends with, in fact everyone made fun of us playing covers, I'm like "motherfuckers, this is artistic development. this is how you start off". We were getting really good, too, for how much time we had spent, and how sucky we were then compared to now (at first we were doing Tallica's Fade to Black and For Whom The Bell Tolls, System's Aerials, and struggling through IN FLAMES' Biosphere).
Eventually, we were playing IN FLAMES' Behind Space, Jotun, Bullet Ride, The Jester's Dance, and we were starting to emerge into a BAND (even with just me, the rhythm guitar player and the drummer). The guitarist started fucking the Man-Beast, eventually moved to Iowa, and we decided to just work on our own, getting better (since I am going to Norway for a year anyways, this allowed a lot of time for slow improvement).
I have a lead guitarist who is my best fucking friend, and who has been catching up to my playing leaps and bounds (and is all about the tasteful, melodic leads). He will only learn IN FLAMES and Children of Bodom leads (Lake Bodom? flawless!), and what he plays with when he is consciously noodling around (which is how he learns), it is in that vein. My style is very original now, although I started out learning all of my favourite bands songs. (my thoughts on music are a little more structured, level, and on time! hehe). Even the drummer is striving for complete originality. All I can say is, a fucking force to be recogned with. hehe

Quote:

I like listening to music alone, while I am not distracted by anything else. I walk. I listen. But then, something happens. It happens in waves to finally reach a peak, where I am left dumbfounded and sometimes shaken, even tears of joy sometimes roll down my cheeks.

This is the best way to listen (back in Wisconsin, when I was home, I'd get really baked, play guitar, and go to bed. while i was in bed, i listened to music, still greatly altered). Especially with the eyes closed and all... you can feel the music and the different directions it goes. A lot of this relys on the drummer, too. (more so than most realize)
Quote:

Music is like a river. My thoughts are wooden logs being carried by it. They make ninety degree turns, spin on themselves, they are influenced by all of the waves that bounce them around.

I was onced really baked, trying to describe my thoughts on music to one of my friends, the most "preppy" of our group (back from college and all that, a cool guy and all). All I could say was to watch the incense smoke. I think he mentioned the word "flow", believe it or not. hehe

Stay in touch, Shroomism. If you have a way to do it (I believe I will while in Norway), we could send music back and forth on the net.. just some side project or some shit (spiritual metal sitar trance or something), hehe.
Peace.

--------------------
I wouldn't fear
Like being here

InvisibleShroomismM
Space Travellin
Male User Gallery
Folding@home Statistics
    #1751745 - 07/26/03 10:01 PM (20 years, 8 months ago)

Man..you're almost freaking me out.. like what I would be saying to somebody else..my lead guitar player is also my best friend.. he strives for perfection.. constantly challenging himself with Jason Becker.. Al Di Meola.. Helstar solos.. likewise our rhythm player is equally evolving.. he is always expanding his horizons as a guitar player.. learning different styles and developing his own. We are constantly improving. We too started off playing old school covers..Metallica..then Megadeth.. then Death.. In Flames.. Opeth.. Slayer.. Bodom.. these are some of our main inspirations.. We too plan on changing the world.. Join the metalution.. the metal revolution... the heavy metal solution. Symphonic Progressive Forest Elf Fusion Metal. Hail the coming of the metalution!

--------------------

Offlinefireworks_godS
Sexy.Butt.McDanger
Male

#1751774 - 07/26/03 10:15 PM (20 years, 8 months ago)

I talked to our prodical son, the rhythm guitarist, the other day over the phone (he emailed me, for the first time in months, that night). The guy is a bit different and all, just a little too sheltered I guess, but he is fucking amazing! He's been playing about a year now, and he can play anything (well, leads aren't his thing). The motherfucker would play seven-eight hours a day. Just cause he did nothing else (I'm more like a four-five hour a day man, when I actually could..when I didn't work or anything). He'd tab out full Opeth songs on Guitar Pro by ear, write his own, everything like that. He enters a lot of the Guitar Pro composition contests, I'll swing in and see if I can find some of his stuff, and I'll let you know. Just pure talent (but not much to balance that out, that is the problem).
Anyways, I figure, if you are going to do something right, go all fucking out, right? Especially when you are going for something this big... we both know that we are both completely capable, right? The only thing between us and the goals are time well spent.... (I think you might be a little more tied down than me, though, from what I remember reading... I'm just a young cowboy at 18).
The only difference I see is the jazz fusion you mentioned... never even heard any of it, but what I understand, it isn't a good term to wave around. But that's just what I hear. My tastes have some footing in the new music, though, Tool, System of a Down, Mudvayne. By the way, ever listen to any Ronnie James Dio, Rainbow, Black Sabbath?
Peace.

--------------------
I wouldn't fear
Like being here

InvisibleShroomismM
Space Travellin
Male User Gallery
Folding@home Statistics
    #1751852 - 07/26/03 10:45 PM (20 years, 8 months ago)

I'm a bit more rooted in the old school.. I have deep ties with classical music, bach..beethoven..mozart..but my main focus is metal.. being started with metallica, moving to megadeth, pantera, sepultura, death, cacophony, helstar, iced earth, in flames, opeth, dream theater, nevermore, nile, dimmu borgir, testament, slayer..the list goes on. Listened to some Dio, met Blackmore in texas once, so yes some Rainbow..Black Sabbath of course.. and iron maiden, zeppelin, gotta represent. I can get down on some SOAD.. mudvayne I haven't really given a chance. I pretty much shunned the whole Nu-metal wave thing.

--------------------

OfflineAmnesiac
Re-memberingcosmic wisdom

Loc: Unknown
    #1752375 - 07/27/03 03:06 AM (20 years, 8 months ago)

Hearing you two talk (Shroomism and Fireworks) is quite inspiring...
I share a lot of your tastes in music, and some bands that you've mentioned I have yet to check out, but will write them down and do so later.

It's good to see such a connection here!

I had a bit of a late start on music, I wasn't seriously into it until about 3 years ago, and since then I've been expanding my horizons. I'm mostly into grunge, some metal, some classic/psychedelic rock, and some miscellaneous stuff.

My fav bands would be, Tool, Radiohead, Pink Floyd, A Perfect Circle, Nirvana, Soundgarden, Audioslave, Alice in Chains, Smashing Pumpkins, Zwan, Beatles, Faith No More, Mr. Bungle, Tomohawk, anything else by Mike Patton, Queens of the Stone Age, System of a Down, Pearl Jam, Jeff Buckley, Cyclefly, The Doors, Deftones, Metallica, Foo Fighters... shit I've gotta be missing some, but anyways there's a lot of great stuff out there.

I've had an electric guitar for about a year now, but I've barely touched it, and pissed at myself for lacking the motivation and confidence to really learn. I think I'm going to take a few lessons soon because I'm starting to realize just how badly I want to be in a band, playing shows, travelling, meeting people and feeling that symbiotic energy flow Shroomism was talking about. What could be better? I currently write lyrics for a talented friend of mine, but it's not enough. I need to be in the action damnit!

Any tips or advice for a guitar beginner, guys? Other than the obvious "just fuckin' practice, dumbass"! hehehhe :smile: Thanks, keep on rockin!

--------------------
Here we are, in these bodies, on this planet in an endless universe. This is not the extent of who we are... merely an extension of who we really are.

Offlinemushroomviking
Electric WhiskerButton

Loc: Vancouver, BC
Re: Musicians are geniuses.....some are! [Re: Amnesiac]
    #1752392 - 07/27/03 03:43 AM (20 years, 8 months ago)

oh man I didn't know so many people here listened to such good music! A lot of you guys listed off my favourite bands(Iron Maiden, Megadeth, Metallica...), which is really cool.

Offlinefireworks_godS
Sexy.Butt.McDanger
Male

Re: Musicians are geniuses.....some are! [Re: mushroomviking]
    #1753626 - 07/27/03 05:10 PM (20 years, 8 months ago)

Most of the bands you mentioned, Shroomism, I get into too. Dimmu Borgir is just insane, their drummer is like a fucking machine gun.
My keyboardist, (me, him, and the lead guitarist have quite the tight-knit friendship group going on), turned us all on to trance, and the more extreme and symphony metal... Dimmu Borgir, Opeth (me and Chris heard Opeth for the first time all baked, Forest of October... Chris is now an Opeth maniac, from what he said). He gets into a lot of the symphony metal, too, but that doesn't really suit me.. Basically any kind of heavy metal that no one else around here listens to, is game for him. He once had me listen to some swing metal....
Its all about the feel, to me... if it is going to be heavy in that part, it is going to be FUCKING heavy. If it is going to be melodic, super FUCKING melodic. My music will have a lot of textures and colours, it will purposely be designed as an experience. I really get into Pink Floyd, Tool, because they set out for that. That's where the trance element will come in...
Peace.

--------------------
I wouldn't fear
Like being here

Offlinefireworks_godS
Sexy.Butt.McDanger
Male

#1754132 - 07/27/03 08:57 PM (20 years, 8 months ago)

Oh, Shroomism, what is your approach to playing just the bass guitar? What theories do you hold up?
Myself, I strive to be the total fucking package. It depends on what is needed in that part of a song, but I keep my vocabulary extended.. I'm mostly inspired by Cliff Burton. Steve Harris from Iron Maiden, Jason Newsted from Metallica also, and a lot of little stuff I pick up from all the songs I play. Everything the bassist plays has to be perfectly on time, of course, and tie in with the drums.
Few and far between, I'll come across some part that challenges me, but I am basically comfortable playing anything.. from Cliff Burton's Anasthesia (don't know it all yet, just have to memorize the second half, its too fast to be able to play with the music without memorizing it), to Tool's Schism, etc. I can fucking do a shred solo, I'm capable, but like I said: it's all about the song.
All I know is, I trump a lot of guitarists when I do pick up an electric or an acoustic guitar, I just don't know enough riffs to play. I love working out my own, on them, too...especially fucking around with chords, the two extra strings, and the fact that the frets are so much closer together. I need to get my own guitar soon, so I can start writing songs, it's so hard to do with just a bass. I need a drumkit and some vocal lessons, I could seriously be an all-arounder.
I'm always working on all the different facets of my technique: note selection, downpicking and alternate picking, different speeds, different rhythm combinations, left hand movements, and such. I can now play unconsciously, not having to worry or think about what I'm doing with my hands. Just playing whatever comes into my head. I've also just fucked around with what comes into my head instantly enough that I can make whatever I play sound like what I want.. this is magical, because nothing is forced; you play what you feel. Everything just flows out of you... very Zen like. I don't have my mind cleared, though (I should start working on it, though, its better to do it that way than to do coke.. which improves my playing DRAMATICALLY, hehe. no need to mention the last time i did that was months and months. nothing to fuck with, believe me). I'm usually thinking about other shit..
This is basically where expression comes into play. Perfect analogy: When you learn a foreign language, you suck at it at first. You're always worried about how to pronounce each word, trying to remember certain words, not knowing enough words in general. Once you get enough practice and vocabulary, you can start thinking about what you are going to say, as opposed to how to say it.
I remember reading an interview once with Mike Mushok from Staind.. he said it is funny, how he used to always play guitar to work on his chops, get his playing ability up, and now, he doesn't worry about it at all, and instead plays guitar the same amount of time, coming up with ideas for songs, etc; expressing himself. This is what I am talking about, and there is no greater feeling on a personal level when your playing just OPENS up, all at once. At some point and time, it just clicks. I experiened it when it happened to me, and I knew when it happened for John, since I was there basically all the time, listening to him play at his house.
There is only so much we can express with our mouth, this is why art is so great. Pick up an instrument and a paintbrush. You'll learn a lot about yourself. And it is fucking fun as hell.
Peace.

--------------------
I wouldn't fear
Like being here

InvisibleShroomismM
Space Travellin
Male User Gallery
Folding@home Statistics
Re: Musicians are geniuses.....some are! [Re: Amnesiac]
    #1754184 - 07/27/03 09:21 PM (20 years, 8 months ago)

Amnesiac..what can I say? If you want to get into music.. figure out what you like most about it. Start by learning some chords, some scales, learn a few cover songs of your favorite bands. Practice, practice, practice. Study, practice, study, practice. Some people do better by being taught guitar, others don't. Whatever the case may be lessons can only take you so far.

Constantly challenge yourself, and constantly try to improve. Don't get frustrated and give up. Learn things slowly and correctly at first, play them faster when you can play them perfectly. When you're ready for a band, the obvious but most crucial part is finding people you connect well with musically. There are a lot of musicians out there, so you have a lot of choices. Get your band and practice, practice, practice. Improvise, Jam out, learn cover songs together.. develop your original style.

You can teach yourself guitar, and it's usually the best way. Only you know how you learn best. The resources are all out there, just find them and apply them. Here are some links to get you started

http://www.guitarnoise.com/
http://www.wholenote.com/
http://www.harmony-central.com/Guitar/Lessons/

In my experience I've learned there's generally two paths of music.. and the grey areas in between. That is, the free-for-all creativity, and the cold, hard, music theory. Each have their own benefits, and I suggest a fine balance of both. Learn the notes and scales and chords, but don't obsess over them..apply them with your own creativity and expression.. create your own scales. Good luck!

--------------------

InvisibleShroomismM
Space Travellin
Male User Gallery
Folding@home Statistics
    #1754219 - 07/27/03 09:35 PM (20 years, 8 months ago)

For my bass playing.. I go try and be as versatile as possible. Cliff Burton was obviously my first major influence, as well as Steve Harris and Geezer Butler..Steve DiGiorgia..others..
I play guitar as well, to keep well rounded. I can't play the best solos in the world, but I'm pretty accomplished in rhythm, creating harmonies and such. I play drums from time to time as well..very therapeutic.
Been playing for about 10 years, at first I was developing my style and learning as much as possible, but then I reached a plateu and had to ride it out. Then I reached another climb and progressed more and more, at the place I'm at, I'm comfortable playing just about anything.. I can play almost anything that comes into my head, or figure something out very fast. The hearing a sound to where-to-place-fingers-to-get-that-exact-note is very accurate. Though I feel I'm good enough to keep up with my band, I'm still always looking for ways to expand my knowledge and technique.
You're right.. when you can play exactly what you feel, when you feel it, it's a good feeling. It's subconscious, you don't even have to think about it..you just let it flow. Getting to that place takes practice and being comfortable with your instrument. But it's a very good feeling. You need not worry about technicalities, or the key, you just let go and express.

--------------------

Offlinefireworks_godS
Sexy.Butt.McDanger
Male

#1754220 - 07/27/03 09:36 PM (20 years, 8 months ago)

I personally endorse what Shroomism has said about learning guitar, since that is also what I have done.
About the free-for-all creativey and cold, hard, music theory thing:
John Fruciante from Red Hot Chili Peppers said it best in a Guitar World interview. He mentioned how a lot of people dismiss the people that learn music theory, saying it is impersonal and lack feel, that technique isn't something that is to be worked on. He said that he learned the theory, all the chord voicings, scales, etc, and then APPLIED them by personal expressing what he learned... He used what he learned as a guide, or reinforcement, to what he made himself. Not only that, but what he came up with, he could play fluidly and on time...
Peace. (i seriously was going to mention this in my post, but went back up into what i already typed to add something, came back down, saw the sentence i started to write "Some people dismiss" and forgot what I was even writing. hehe. there goes that connection thing again)
Peace.

--------------------
I wouldn't fear
Like being here

Offlinefireworks_godS
Sexy.Butt.McDanger
Male

#1754229 - 07/27/03 09:40 PM (20 years, 8 months ago)

So, it is time for the Shroomery 1st Anniversary Bass-Off (ever see the SNL episode where Jack Black was hosting? they had a bass off as a skit.. very fucking hilarious). Who would win?
My bet would be on Shroomism, just because of the 10 year thing. Way more experience. However, though, I'm pretty fucking good, and as a 2 year buck, I'm pretty cocky, too. hehe
I wouldn't doubt it if we have very similar techniques.
Peace.

--------------------
I wouldn't fear
Like being here

OfflineAmnesiac
Re-memberingcosmic wisdom

Loc: Unknown
    #1754348 - 07/27/03 10:50 PM (20 years, 8 months ago)

Thanks for the advice Shroomism, you are right on. I will definitely take it to heart and hopefully I'll get some momentum and start to kick ass on that thing... I can feel it in me. I can compose entire songs in my head, but I suppose I'm impatient when it comes time to pick up the instrument and start creating. I become frustrated with myself too easily. I expect too much from myself too soon.

I'm going to start off slow and work my ass off to get better, because there are already pieces in place for me to get into a good band, I have some talented friends... the only piece missing is my lack of talent!

It shall develop... thanks again.

--------------------
Here we are, in these bodies, on this planet in an endless universe. This is not the extent of who we are... merely an extension of who we really are.

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2  [ show all ]

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies