Home | Community | Message Board

Azarius
Please support our sponsors.

General Interest >> Philosophy, Sociology & Psychology

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: The Doors

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Offlinethe_phoenix
Stranger

Loc: Montreal, Quebec, Canada
my argument against a revolution
    #3524096 - 12/20/04 02:16 PM (11 years, 11 months ago)

I've been giving this considerable thought. Recently I read threads here about promoting revolution and creating self-sustainable communities of awakened individuals. I was gung ho for the idea. It was exactly what I needed, me being so discouraged and frustrated with mainstream society. Where do I sign up?

Yet upon closer inspection, I discovered everybody had a different conception of how it was to work, a different ideal. Mine was this:

Laws, regulations, and constitutions affect only the exterior, material world. They cannot make people the wiser and cannot assure their own survival; as a society losses wisdom, its law makers and laws stumble upon erroneous paths. Since the individual is of utmost importance, the ideal society should stress spiritual growth as its main goal.

When a society?s members are of sound spiritual mind, the society will be well. It will be focused since all the different means of spiritual exploration ultimately yield the same truths and discoveries. These fundamental commonalities should mark the heart and centre of the society, not a constitution or some other man-made conventionality.

The economy is not important beyond subsistence since the spiritual mind is ascetic in nature. Means by which individual identity may be established are of small importance. The notion of a hippy-esque atmosphere of drug freedom and limitless hedonism is certainly very far from the mark.

So that was my idea, a society stressing first and foremost the importance?in fact the necessity?of spiritual growth. Contemporary society is far removed from this ideal, clearly. But it?s getting there. I encourage my friends to become spiritually minded, and many indeed are. If I see an injustice then I?ll speak out, in the most convincing and non-violent manner. We?re getting there.

However, if we retreat to these envisioned spiritual paradises, who will remain in reality to change it? We would be polarizing the issue to the dualistic extreme: awakened individuals here, and non-awakened ones over there. Let them learn their lessons the hard way as they burn in the fires of their own hell. Then, from the ashes, the phoenix shall riseth! Not me, since I?ll be doing nothing so as not to taint my purity, but somebody else.

I have learnt the lesson of the middle path. We shouldn?t hate society or resist what it has become. We must accept it for the illusion that it is and act out of compassion for those poor souls imprisoned in their metal boxes. Show them the doors to their own houses, I say! If we push for revolution too hard then we?ll only scare people away. There?s a reason why spiritual masters don?t talk openly of their inner voyages to lands far away.

The most effective way to change society is to live in it the way we believe people should live. The way we know people should live. And when we speak to people of concepts Outside the scope of their daily lives, let?s be subtle about it. Mask your teachings in rhetoric, metaphor, and joke. Be subtle about it and speak directly to people?s subconscious. And pursue this cause wisely and adamantly, for the advertisers, politicians, and governments have a big lead. Thank goodness that that, too, shall necessarily pass.

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineMAIA
World-BridgerKartikeya (DftS)
Male User Gallery

Loc: Erra - 20 Tauri - M45 Sta...
Re: my argument against a revolution [Re: the_phoenix]
    #3524186 - 12/20/04 02:48 PM (11 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

The most effective way to change society is to live in it the way we believe people should live. The way we know people should live. And when we speak to people of concepts Outside the scope of their daily lives, let?s be subtle about it. Mask your teachings in rhetoric, metaphor, and joke. Be subtle about it and speak directly to people?s subconscious. And pursue this cause wisely and adamantly, for the advertisers, politicians, and governments have a big lead. Thank goodness that that, too, shall necessarily pass.

:thumbup:

Well, there are many arguments in favor and against a revolution. I like the way you put it, maybe you didn't noticed, but you're also supporting a revolution when you "speak directly to people?s subconscious", it's the mind revolution, the ultimate revolution. Every time you fill peoples mind with sincerity, good will and common spirituality , you're starting a little revolution on their materialistic heads.

Quote:

When a society?s members are of sound spiritual mind, the society will be well.

I agree with you. But wait until they start parachuting skeptics ....

MAIA

--------------------
Spiritual being, living a human experience ... The Shroomery Mandala

Use, do not abuse; neither abstinence nor excess ever renders man happy.
Voltaire

Offlineexclusive58
illegal alien

#3524508 - 12/20/04 04:43 PM (11 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

The most effective way to change society is to live in it the way we believe people should live. The way we know people should live.

What about if you are enable to live how you believe to do so? What about if your government's beliefs go against your own?
Are you just gonna go, "well, they're richer, more powerful, so they must be right"?

Know that power corrupts. Lots of power are in the hands of today's politicians.
Don't you think that history repeats itself? I think that the situation is very similar today to what it was in 1789, where the bourgeois represented 1/4th of the population, and possessed 3/4 of the wealth. The situation is actually almost worst today.

Anyway, if i understood you well, your bid is on the revolution of the mind, without any need of a material revolution?

--------------------

InvisibleMoonshoe
Blue Mantis (Retired)
 User Gallery

Loc: Iceland
    #3524906 - 12/20/04 06:25 PM (11 years, 11 months ago)

your absolutely right of course. external revolution and waiting for one is just a way to distract ourselves from the true and urgent task, internal revolution, be the change you want to see, transformation begins within.

And if you really want to move out of this society, there are already numerous alternative societies waiting for you, find one that appeals.

good post.

until you have eliminated all greed, violence, hate, ignorance, fear and gluttony from your own life, then your condemnations of modern society will be hypocritical and meaningless.

--------------------

Everything I post is fiction. This poster is no longer active.

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: The Doors

General Interest >> Philosophy, Sociology & Psychology