Home | Community | Message Board

High Mountain Compost
Please support our sponsors.

General Interest >> Philosophy, Sociology & Psychology

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | Next >  [ show all ]
Invisibledr_gonz
Adam and Eve?
    #4040988 - 04/11/05 02:22 PM (11 years, 7 months ago)

So when god created this mess, he supposedly created adam and eve in the beginning. Now, did he/she create them in infant form and raise them from babies? Or did he/she create them in the already matured 20 year old, 30 year old, or 40 year old bodies? Maybe he just snapped his finger and gave the fully matured, uninformed nitwits basic knowledge right of the start. I wonder what thoughts went through their heads as they were thrown into consciousness? :shrug:

If I die and go to hell (provided there is such a place), I guess they got me twice.

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineGomp
¡(Bound to·(O))be free!
Male User Gallery

Loc: I re·side [primarily] in...
Re: Adam and Eve? [Re: dr_gonz]
    #4041321 - 04/11/05 04:06 PM (11 years, 7 months ago)

--------------------

--------------------
Disclaimer!?

InvisibleeMotionALLmotion
DivineeMotive....

Loc: The Symphony of Lights......
    #4041405 - 04/11/05 04:35 PM (11 years, 7 months ago)

So when god created this mess,
What "mess"....?  :smirk:
Who created "infinate possibilities", and who created this "mess" you speak of....?

--------------------
Uni-VersALL      MasterPeace
eMotive  :sun: Divinity NowThere Infinity :sun:  eMelody

OfflineGomp
¡(Bound to·(O))be free!
Male User Gallery

Re: Adam and Eve? [Re: eMotionALLmotion]
    #4041472 - 04/11/05 04:49 PM (11 years, 7 months ago)

who, are you? :wink:

--------------------

--------------------
Disclaimer!?

InvisibleeMotionALLmotion
DivineeMotive....

Loc: The Symphony of Lights......
Re: Adam and Eve? [Re: Gomp]
    #4041490 - 04/11/05 04:57 PM (11 years, 7 months ago)

Anybody I want to be.....    :laugh:  :sun:  :heartpump:

--------------------
Uni-VersALL      MasterPeace
eMotive  :sun: Divinity NowThere Infinity :sun:  eMelody

OfflineGomp
¡(Bound to·(O))be free!
Male User Gallery

Re: Adam and Eve? [Re: eMotionALLmotion]
    #4041507 - 04/11/05 05:02 PM (11 years, 7 months ago)

:heartpump:

InvisiblePsychoactive1984
PositiveCynicist
Male
Loc: California, Monterey Coun...
    #4041748 - 04/11/05 05:58 PM (11 years, 7 months ago)

Adam and Eve....

Fucked over mankind according to the bible...

Hah! respect your ancestors my ass... pricks.

/end rant.

--------------------
"Their is one overriding question that concerns us all: How can we get out of the fatal groove we are in, the one that is leading towards the brink?" Albert Szent-Gyorgyi
"We may not be capable of eradicating the corruption of reason, but we must nevertheless counter it at every instance and with every means." Dan Agin
"Politics is the best religion and politicians are the worst followers."
-It's ok to trip as long as you don't fall.
-Substance over Style.
-Common sense is uncommon.

Offlineegghead1
Nakedly Open

Loc: The Womb of Love
    #4041759 - 04/11/05 05:59 PM (11 years, 7 months ago)

OMG another thread that is taking the bible literally. How silly :lol:

--------------------
All you need is Love! Really thats it! Infinite Unconditional Love! Just develop that and all else will fall into place perfectly!

PositiveCynicist
Male
Re: Adam and Eve? [Re: egghead1]
    #4041772 - 04/11/05 06:03 PM (11 years, 7 months ago)

So are we to tak relevations figuritively? If we aren't to take it literally, what relevance does the last chapter hold?

Just but another metaphor for life? Or is it that we choose which parts are figuritive and literal?  :confused:

/scratches head.

--------------------
"Their is one overriding question that concerns us all: How can we get out of the fatal groove we are in, the one that is leading towards the brink?" Albert Szent-Gyorgyi
"We may not be capable of eradicating the corruption of reason, but we must nevertheless counter it at every instance and with every means." Dan Agin
-Substance over Style.

Offlineegghead1
Nakedly Open

Re: Adam and Eve? [Re: Psychoactive1984]
    #4041808 - 04/11/05 06:13 PM (11 years, 7 months ago)

Find the meaning of it for your own life. They are teachings, some are quite obvious, others ver subtle. For me the story of Adam and Eve speaks of human beings fall from paradise into the grosser realms of suffering due to actions commited out of ignrance of the laws of nature. The eating of the forbidden fruit symbolising desire and attachment to pleasure, leading swiftly to suffering. There is not way to know for sure if what is said in the bible is meant to be taken literally or symboliclly, any beliefs based on such a literal view of the tales therein are formualted purely under the influence of blind faith. I for one do not subscribe to blind faith and really to me whether its meant literally or not doesnt realy matter as far as spirituality goes. But the symbolism in the bible seems to me to be of most importance to a practicing christian. Of course i may be wrong, any christinas wanna comment? :heart:

--------------------
All you need is Love! Really thats it! Infinite Unconditional Love! Just develop that and all else will fall into place perfectly!

Offlinealsey
meet me in thedreamtimewater...

#4041812 - 04/11/05 06:14 PM (11 years, 7 months ago)

according to the bible, they were created as adults.

--------------------
"Gently return to the simple physical sensation of the breath. Then do it again, and again, and again. Somewhere in this process, you will come face-to-face with the sudden and shocking realization that you are completely crazy. Your mind is a shrieking, gibbering madhouse on wheels." - ven. henepola gunaratana

Offlinealsey

#4041816 - 04/11/05 06:15 PM (11 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

egghead1 said:
OMG another thread that is taking the bible literally. How silly :lol:

taking the bible as anything other than legend or myth is silly.

--------------------
"Gently return to the simple physical sensation of the breath. Then do it again, and again, and again. Somewhere in this process, you will come face-to-face with the sudden and shocking realization that you are completely crazy. Your mind is a shrieking, gibbering madhouse on wheels." - ven. henepola gunaratana

PositiveCynicist
Male
    #4041836 - 04/11/05 06:20 PM (11 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

egghead1 said:
Find the meaning of it for your own life. They are teachings, some are quite obvious, others ver subtle. For me the story of Adam and Eve speaks of human beings fall from paradise into the grosser realms of suffering due to actions commited out of ignrance of the laws of nature. The eating of the forbidden fruit symbolising desire and attachment to pleasure, leading swiftly to suffering. There is not way to know for sure if what is said in the bible is meant to be taken literally or symboliclly, any beliefs based on such a literal view of the tales therein are formualted purely under the influence of blind faith. I for one do not subscribe to blind faith and really to me whether its meant literally or not doesnt realy matter as far as spirituality goes. But the symbolism in the bible seems to me to be of most importance to a practicing christian. Of course i may be wrong, any christinas wanna comment? :heart:

:thumbup:

The meaning of it to me is but another social control mechanism.... :shrug:

Anyhow, I hardly see as it it is a parable of how we should live our lives with predictions of the end times and what not, and the hitorical evidence supposedly tied to the bible. It's more read as an instruction manual as to how humanity will progress and how the believers will realize the full extent of the lord's love when his son comes about and brings salvation to his believers, and only his believers, as the rest of us our damned in hell for eternity... :lol:

Anyhow, it's not really to be read in a figuritive context, beyond the euphemisms and the symbolism associated with it, that can't help but to be read figuritively... ask a believer, it's more literal then you might you think.

I've had various forms of Christian indoctrination in my youth (The hardcore OG christian indoctrination might I add :grin: where they even attempt to teach mathamatics in terms of Jesus :tongue:)... take it from me, it's meant to be a literal interpretation... if you take it as otherwise, you aren't a true believer, and as such, you won't recieve salvation

--------------------
-Substance over Style.

Offlineegghead1
Nakedly Open

#4041868 - 04/11/05 06:28 PM (11 years, 7 months ago)

It has good teachings in it, it all depends on your perspective and mindet. If you dont want to think and you want to be brainwashed, you can go about it literally as an intrsuction manual. If you are looking for your own meaning and the spiritual lessons contained in its syombolism, then that is there as a possibility too. The bible, although its been messed with quite heavily, still holds meaning for those willing to think and look deeper.

But i suppose its sad that most children dont have much of a choice  :frown: i suppose im just lucky my parents were hippies :flowerchild:

--------------------

Offlinealsey

#4041872 - 04/11/05 06:29 PM (11 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

egghead1 said:
I for one do not subscribe to blind faith and really to me whether its meant literally or not doesnt realy matter as far as spirituality goes.

being a christian requires blind faith, since there is nothing you can observe in the universe that would lead you to logically conclude that a supernatural being exists.

--------------------

Offlineegghead1
Nakedly Open

Re: Adam and Eve? [Re: alsey]
    #4041892 - 04/11/05 06:32 PM (11 years, 7 months ago)

I would say that most people who have experimented with magic mushroioms would deeply disagree. God is within my friend not without. A Christian is certainly capable of discovering this.

--------------------

PositiveCynicist
Male
    #4041901 - 04/11/05 06:33 PM (11 years, 7 months ago)

:thumbup: Hippies!

Yeah, but the thing it, it's not necessarily tauted as a book of morality in the sense that it is optional, without a consequence to it's teachings.

You accept it>> Follow the Lord's will>> End up living forever in the land of milk and honey, where even the lions smile.

You don't accept it>> You aren't forced to>> you'll burn in hell.

Fear is used as a conformity mechanism for the believers and non believers... I've talked to many a zealot, and the end result of religious debates tend to focus on this question; Don't you want to live forever in peace?

Organized religions have shown anything but peaceful actions in context of the net result of their historical significance. (Christianity especially)

--------------------
-Substance over Style.

PositiveCynicist
Male
    #4041919 - 04/11/05 06:35 PM (11 years, 7 months ago)

God is in my shit as it leaves my body as well... (sorry if that's offensive, but if he is in me, he can escape me as well)

God is whatever you assign him to be. It can be nothing more then a conceptual framework of institutionalized control and morality, or a divine creator loving us all.

--------------------
-Substance over Style.

Offlineegghead1
Nakedly Open

#4041954 - 04/11/05 06:41 PM (11 years, 7 months ago)

Not if you is experience God directly as the raw omnipresent nature of the universe as it is. Did you ever consider that? It maybe a concept to you, but some people actually live in that knowlege and presence.  :shocked:

--------------------

Offlinealsey

#4042015 - 04/11/05 06:51 PM (11 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

egghead1 said:
I would say that most people who have experimented with magic mushroioms would deeply disagree. God is within my friend not without. A Christian is certainly capable of discovering this.

magic mushrooms are irrelevant.

belief in a supernatural being is illogical (by definition). to believe in something illogical requires blind faith.

christianity is an ad verecundiam fallacy. christians believe what they do because somebody else (the bible authors) said so.

--------------------

Jump to top. Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | Next >  [ show all ]

General Interest >> Philosophy, Sociology & Psychology