Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineRoseM
Devil's Advocate
Female User Gallery

Loc: Mod not God Flag
FAQ 46. Is it true that psychedelics can trigger mental illness?
    #3249441 - 10/12/04 09:23 PM (19 years, 5 months ago)

--------------------
Fiddlesticks.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinedeltron
Stoned Shroomer-.-

Loc: Colorado
Re: 41. Is it true that psychedelics can trigger mental illness? [Re: Rose]
    #3249518 - 10/12/04 09:35 PM (19 years, 5 months ago)

no
the end
el fin

--------------------
Host: I've heard whispers about the financial support your government receives from the drug industry.
Peruvian: Well, the irony of this, of course, is that this money, which is in the billions, is coming from your country. You see, you are the major purchaser of our national product, which is of course cocaine.
Host: On one hand, you're saying the United States government is spending millions of dollars to eliminate the flow of drugs onto our streets. At the same time, we are doing business with the very same goverment that is flooding our streets with cocaine.
Peruvian: Mmm-hmm, si, si. Let me show you a few other characters that are involved in this tragic comedy.

Offlinebarfightlard
tales of theinexpressible
Male

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Canoodia
Re: 41. Is it true that psychedelics can trigger mental illness? [Re: deltron]
    #3249633 - 10/12/04 09:57 PM (19 years, 5 months ago)

I think they can. I'm almost sure they have in me. I can't explain it though.

--------------------

"What business is it of yours what I do, read, buy, see, say, think, who I fuck, what I take into my body - as long as I do not harm another human being on this planet?" - Bill Hicks

InvisibleMOTH
Wild Woman
 User Gallery

Loc: In the jungle
    #3249657 - 10/12/04 10:00 PM (19 years, 5 months ago)

I've heard it described that psychedelics can bring latent mental illnesses to the surface. I don't know if this is the same as "triggering" it though.

OfflineRoseM
Devil's Advocate
Female User Gallery

Re: 41. Is it true that psychedelics can trigger mental illness? [Re: MOTH]
    #3249851 - 10/12/04 10:33 PM (19 years, 5 months ago)

Perhaps trigger is not the best word.

You saw what I intended with the question.

Thanks

--------------------
Fiddlesticks.

OfflineToricious
Theblunt-smokinglense-man.

#3249855 - 10/12/04 10:33 PM (19 years, 5 months ago)

I think most are psychologically unwell, but how we deal with our illness is what makes us coo coo or not, and with this it seems like often times it will either make you stronger or completely destroy you. In the end your insanity might just be more apparent to others and yourself.

--------------------
"There's a guy in my apple!"

"Jerk off on weed man, that's where it's at... " -Anjaba

OfflinePhanTomCat
Teh Cat....
Male User Gallery

Loc: My Youniverse....
    #3249904 - 10/12/04 10:42 PM (19 years, 5 months ago)

Trigger an underlying mental illness...?  ABSOLUTELY....  ANYTHING is possible....  With the vast differences from person to person and the countless one-off neural biochemistry "profiles" we all possess, anything is possible....  The human brain is but a bio-machine based on the running processes and functions of a refined complex chemical and electrical "chain reaction"....  A living motor of consciousness and life support controls for the physical body.... 

Much like a computer, running a very complex set of temporary reprogramming patch codes COULD cause an overload on a non-stable O. S. ...  Thus, there is always a risk for a "serious" crash....  :smirk:  Sometimes a reboot is all that is needed, and no data is lost....  Other times, the computer just won't run right anymore....  With a computer, all you have to do is reinstall the O. S. ...  But user beware...!  In the human brain, this is just not yet possible....   

ChoW~

One from my "Life Imitating Life" theory....  Well, maybe not a theory, but a piece from some of the deeper thoughts that have been currently running on my 5,000,000 Terra-Hertz Wetware system....  :tongue2:

--------------------
I'll be your midnight French Fry....  :naughty:

"The most important things in life that are often ignored, are the things that one cannot see...."

>^;;^<

Invisiblejux
I'm better thanan STD!

#3250348 - 10/13/04 12:32 AM (19 years, 5 months ago)

Yes, psychedelics can indeed do this

http://www.zen-forum.com/a20/b2002/c02/d2/e1064/z7
http://www.erowid.org/psychoactives/health/hppd/hppd_faq.shtml
[url=http://64.233.167.104/search?q=cache:k_DxFjatbywJ:www.rethink.org/dualdiagnosis/pdfs/chapters/Appendix_1_-_Substances_and_their_effects.pdf]http://64.233.167.104/search?q=cache:k_D...eir_effects.pdf[/url]
[url=http://64.233.167.104/search?q=cache:Mh0fEsLPkGEJ:www.sover.net/~warden/writing/health_dmt.pdf]http://64.233.167.104/search?q=cache:Mh0fEsLPkGEJ:www.sover.net/~warden/writing/health_dmt.pdf[/url]

latent or otherwise it might seem :frown:

It is strongly advised that if you have a family history of mental illness or believe that you may be mentally ill that you abstain from psychedelics.
But, as a person note, if you are extremely careful with the substances and with your mental health, it is possible to safely use psychedelics. But that is strickly your decision and I do NOT condone this practice as you CAN fuck yourself.

--------------------

Offlinetomk
King of OTD

Loc: PNW
Re: 41. Is it true that psychedelics can trigger mental illness? [Re: jux]
    #3250602 - 10/13/04 01:38 AM (19 years, 5 months ago)

I think there is something to the notion that the definitions of mental illness are designed by authorities to catagorize, label, and then dismess the insights of those with mental illnesses. If we say anyone who becomes discontent with the trappings of modern life gets labeled schizoid, or schizophrenic, or borderline (in the case of women, especially) and psychedelics cause this discontent, then yes they cause mental illness, but only in so far as mental illness is designed to make ordinary people think extraordinary ideas, insights and feelings are the products of sick minds and can thus be dismissed (preserving the power structure of the same authorities that created the labels.)

--------------------
"I am eternally free"

InvisibleMOTH
Wild Woman
 User Gallery

Re: 41. Is it true that psychedelics can trigger mental illness? [Re: tomk]
    #3250704 - 10/13/04 02:02 AM (19 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

tomk said:
I think there is something to the notion that the definitions of mental illness are designed by authorities to catagorize, label, and then dismess the insights of those with mental illnesses. If we say anyone who becomes discontent with the trappings of modern life gets labeled schizoid, or schizophrenic, or borderline (in the case of women, especially) and psychedelics cause this discontent, then yes they cause mental illness, but only in so far as mental illness is designed to make ordinary people think extraordinary ideas, insights and feelings are the products of sick minds and can thus be dismissed (preserving the power structure of the same authorities that created the labels.)

Wow, well said. I feel the same way.

Offlinerummshoo
Stranger
    #3250842 - 10/13/04 03:10 AM (19 years, 5 months ago)

isn't it that they don't work too well with people who already have something up with them, i think if your healthy, mentally then they're no problem?
have had nothing but positive effects (well, im sure the negative effects were my fault due to inexperience)

--------------------
sacrilicious!!

OfflineDistortedPhlight
Stranger
Loc: Seattle,wa
Re: 41. Is it true that psychedelics can trigger mental illness? [Re: rummshoo]
    #3251084 - 10/19/04 10:33 AM (19 years, 5 months ago)

ok well, i think it can and here is why:
about 2 weeks ago me and my friend decided to fry. so we went and picked up some cyanesins from a friend of ours. after eating about 1 gram each we went to our favorite park. i felt the mushies almost at once.
but it didnt feel normal, it might have just been a bad trip but i started hearing a beat it was a simple snare beat. as we were walking in certain directions the music was getting louder, my friend was grilled to all hell and he was just following me saying he didint here any music. so i decided to follow the music, it was getting louder as we were heading towards a bluff. when we got to the point i was hearing the music as if the band was standgin right next me.
then suddenly i realized what it was, the music was leading up to me jumping off the bluff. and i almost did. but my friend saw iw as about jump and talked me out of it. later i had realized that i was just tripping hella hard, but felt like i was insane.
so my opinion yes, they can trigger mental illness.....just my two caps worth

--------------------
"The world is full of choices and doors. the choices you make open and close certain doors. By choosing your own path, you will open the doors to your inner self, and inner peace."-me

Offlinequarkyquasar
Happy FluffyBunny

Loc: NorCaL
Re: 41. Is it true that psychedelics can trigger mental illness? [Re: DistortedPhlight]
    #3251373 - 10/19/04 12:07 PM (19 years, 5 months ago)

I am a real nutjob to say the least.
And I can say from personal experience if you are crazy like me stay away rom lsd, shrooms, HBWR, and ketamine.
The only psychedelic that is mellow enough for my fragile brain is mescaline. And I am still asking for it when I do that...but being cooky makes it easier to just say fuck it, I dont give a shit sometimes if you know what I mean :smile:

InvisibleMOTH
Wild Woman
 User Gallery

#3252166 - 10/19/04 03:41 PM (19 years, 5 months ago)

I guess I'd like to share my story about mental illness and psychedelics.  (although many here probably already know the gist of it)

The consensus is that people who have a history of mental illness should not take psychedelics.  I agree with this to an extent.  It's better to be safe then sorry.  I guess I have never been one to play it safe. 

I've been diagnosed with over five seperate illnesses over the course of eight years.  The doctors didn't know what was wrong with me, or why I did/thought/felt the things that I did.  I was originally diagnosed with major depression and general anxiety disorder as a teenager and heavily medicated.  A year later, they decided I was bipolar, and tagged on obsessive compulsive disorder, to explain my tendency to be ritualistically self-destructive to my body.  When I started hearing voices and having other symptoms of psychosis, they even thought that I was schizoaffective, but shrugged that off due to the fact that I was a minor. 

When I turned 18, my continuing struggle with inflicting bodily harm on myself landed me the diagnosis of borderline personality disorder.  At that point, I had given up on both doctors and medication, having been medicated to the point of stupor and believing that my doctors couldn't care less.  (which I doubt they did)  Several suicide attempts and psych ward visits later, I began nullifying my issues with alcohol, which only caused more problems. 

Fast forward to my first encounter with the shroom, having been off meds and away from doctors for a few years.  I had heard all the warnings about not taking them if you have a history of mental illness, but I didn't care.  I had taken ecstasy before to powerful result, an experience which helped me stop my incessant drinking.  Now I thought I was ready for something bigger. 

I started doing shrooms regularly over several months.  Although my first experience with them was bittersweet, there was just something about them that appealed to my bruised spirit and so I continued.  Rough moments and joyful moments shared with the mushroom.  Madness never once crossed my mind...until a very eye-opening trip. 

For a month afterwards, I thought I was mentally gone, and terrified.  Voices, seeing things, insane paranoia, the works.  I couldn't take a shower for fear that someone was looking at me, nor go to sleep for certainty that my head would be crushed by a mallet from a burglar.  Everytime I looked at an object or person, I would see the pattern of that object or person, as how it relates to the universal pattern of everything.  I started hearing/seeing messages intended only for me, thinking special thoughts about the Bible and Jesus.  I also developed a horrific fear of death.  I have never felt so scared and sure that I had lost my mind.  This, I thought, is where true madness lies. 

So what did I do?  I tripped again. 

Reckless?  Yes.  If you are having symptoms like I described above and are frightened of them, it is best that you see a professional and lay off the drugs for awhile.  My story could have easily turned out differently. 

The trip after I discovered my madness was remarkable.  I guess part of me was thinking, "Well, if I'm already crazy then tripping a few more times won't make any difference."  Another part of me was desperately wanting to know that my good times with the mushroom weren't yet finished. 

That trip changed it all.  I speak often here at the Shroomery of the "The Big One," but it was the trip afterwards that changed everything for me, and helped me integrate issues from "The Big One." 

I had moments of clarity that have stayed with me.  I realized that my ego had fooled me into believing all those years that I was mentally sick.  Who am I to conform to a rigid scale of what is mentally normal?  Why should I live in fear of my own mind just because "someone says" it's not right? 

I started to realize that no matter what, sane or insane, all that matters is that I am true to myself. 

That changed everything for me.  I began eliminating all negative influences from my life, all traces of negative thought.  I began trying to put my experiences into words, to evaluate them privately and with others who understood.  I found comfort in Buddhist teachings, as they resonated strongly with me.  I tried to sincerely live as Jesus would live.  And found that I've never been happier. 

What sounds cliche above is truth for me.  I feel as though I've been baptized by the universe and come out a new person.  I've survived all the labels, pills and doctors to realize that all that matters is that I am true to myself.  If I am crazy, then let me enjoy it for petes sake! 

Is is possible that I am insane, even now, and that I am just deluding myself by writing all this?  Sure it is.  I will cheerfully admit that I am probably mad.  But the fear of it is gone.  I feel as though I am the happiest crazy person there is.  And I would still be struggling with myself if not for illumination from the mushroom.  I believe that strongly. 

I use mushrooms every few months now and each time gets better and better.  I feel I have the foresight to understand and cope appropriately if a time comes when I am faced with true madness and fear again.  And it might.  Life is like that.  But I know I will pull through. 

I am sharing this to show to people that while it is certainly possible to use psychedelics if you have struggled with mental illness, there's a real risk involved. It's important to know yourself, to always reach for the golden light even when you feel shrouded by dark crazyness.  Just always move forward, don't allow yourself to become complacent and disrespectful of our plant allies.  Be aware of where you stand.  Be conscious of yourself. 

The most important thing to remember when using these drugs, sane or insane, is that you stay grounded.  If you can say with certainty that you're mad and laugh about it, you'll be okay.  :wink:

OfflineRoseM
Devil's Advocate
Female User Gallery

#3252385 - 10/19/04 04:35 PM (19 years, 5 months ago)

You truely create your own reality.

Thank you very much for that essay.

--------------------
Fiddlesticks.

InvisibleCappin
Stranger
Loc: Brazil[not really]
    #3253529 - 10/19/04 09:08 PM (19 years, 5 months ago)

they used to use psychadelics on mental patients back when it wasnt worse than murder...
maybe theres somehting to that.

Offlinelemon_lw
Stranger

Loc: That Way
Re: 41. Is it true that psychedelics can trigger mental illness? [Re: Cappin]
    #3253557 - 10/19/04 09:13 PM (19 years, 5 months ago)

i havent read much about it but i have heard some stuff about that also. i think it would help for someone to understand someone else by the methods of drugs. i think drugs get you close to the same way of thinking so maybe a person can relate to one another through this method better

--------------------
In the belly of the Leviathan, one can either despair and perish, or be cheerful and persevere.-Dean Koontz

OfflineRoseM
Devil's Advocate
Female User Gallery

Re: 41. Is it true that psychedelics can trigger mental illness? [Re: Cappin]
    #3254028 - 10/19/04 10:43 PM (19 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

Cappin said:
they used to use psychadelics on mental patients back when it wasnt worse than murder...
maybe theres somehting to that.

Yes they did, but they used trained psychotherapists or "Guides".

--------------------
Fiddlesticks.

Offlinebaraka
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: hyperspace Flag
    #3255588 - 10/20/04 10:38 AM (19 years, 5 months ago)

Well i have expierence lingering anxiety and feelings of OCD after a lvl 5 trip on shrooms. They faded after a while, but i was concerned for my mental health for a while. Smoking marijuana would bring the insanity feelings of the trip back and could be uncomfortable. I had tripped probably 20 times on lsd and more on mushrooms before this.

I stopped taking mushrooms after that(was doing them pretty much every weekend for a while) and the feelings faded after a while and im 100% again and still tripping. Just with long spaces inbetween them. I have not taken mushrooms since then and its been almost 2.5 years. I have taken lsd 4 times tho and each trip has been awesome.

Excess use of mushrooms everyweekend im fairly confident put a tilt in my reality for a while.

--------------------
This is the only time I really feel alive.

Edited by baraka (10/20/04 10:43 AM)

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract