Home | Community | Message Board

Lil Shop Of Spores
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Advanced Mycology

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Brown Rice Flour, Dessicant, Vermiculite, Wild Bird Seed

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
OfflineGeorgeHayduke
AvidExperimenter
Loc: PNW
My Corn, Honey, and BRF TEK Experiment with nutritional yeast, CHEK IT OUT!!!
    #3250890 - 10/13/04 05:39 AM (12 years, 1 month ago)

Hi everybody!
I thought you guys might get a kick out of my experiment. I have quite a few experiments overall and here they are: (all jars are ? pint, besides the 32oz jar)
1. A honey TEK (6 jars) with added nutritional yeast (don?t remember exactly how much I put in).
2. A BRF TEK with added nutritional yeast.
3. A corn TEK with 8 jars of ? tsp of nutritional yeast
4. A corn TEK with 8 jars of 1/8 tsp of nutritional yeast.
5. A corn TEK with 8 jars of plain corn: no yeast.
6. A corn TEK in a 32oz jar.
7. A BRF TEK in 3 jars.
I am using nutritional yeast because I read from many different sources on the honey TEK that it helps growth rates dramatically. I also thought that this could be applied to a substrate but I saw no instances where people had done so, so I decided to do it myself and share my experience with everyone else whether good or bad.
I am using two 3 different kinds of shrooms for these. Two of the shrooms (Ecuadorian and Golden Teacher) are from syringes and the 3rd (Amazonian) is from a spore print that I made. Now unfortunately when I took the syringes out of their bags, I forgot to label which was which, so I have labeled them 1 and 2 and we will find out what they are towards the end of the experiment.
I inoculated half f the jars at 3:00 in the morning on Oct 11th and the other half at 3:00 in the afternoon the same day. I didn?t do this for any particular reason other than the fact that I was too damn tired to inoculate the second batch. (all of this was done in a glove box that I made a few days earlier)
Here are the batches that I have:
1. Of the 6 Honey jars with probably 1/8 teaspoon of nutritional yeast:
? 2 Are shroom number 1
? 2 Are shroom number 2
? 2 Are from the Amazonian spore print
2. Of the 8 corn jars with ? teaspoon nutritional yeast:
? 3 Are shroom number 1
? 3 Are shroom number 2
3. Of the 8 corn jars with1/8 teaspoon nutritional yeast:
? 3 Are shroom number 1
? 3 Are shroom number 2
4. Of the 8 corn jars with no nutritional yeast:
? 2 Are shroom number 1
? 2 Are shroom number 2
? 4 Are from the Amazonian spore print
5. Of the 3 BRF jars with probably 1/8 - ? teaspoon:
? 2 are invitro TEK and 1 is shroom 1 and 1 is shroom 2.
? 1 is a non invitro (only dry vermiculite on top, not on bottom as well) and is shroom 2.
6. And the last jar is a 32 oz jar that I filled with the last of my corn and added 1/3 teaspoon of nutritional yeast.
I will update with pictures as soon as I see some progress, so I will update every day or two most likely. Feel free to ask me any questions or leave me any feedback that you would like.
Thanks for looking,
~Hayduke
P.S.
Here is my glovebox:

And here is my incubation chamber (actually it is a large fish ice chest with a modified water bed heater, basically i unplugged the heater and attached a hot plate i got at the good will for $1.00, so now the timer turns on the hot plate when the heat goes below about 82-89 degrees, Im still working out the exact temp setting  :smile: )

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineGeorgeHayduke
AvidExperimenter
Re: My Corn, Honey, and BRF TEK Experiment with nutritional yeast, CHEK IT OUT!!! [Re: GeorgeHayduke]
    #3253520 - 10/19/04 11:07 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

umm, where are all the posts that used to be here?

--------------------
~Hayduke

InvisibleEvolving
Resident Cynic

Loc: Apt #6, The Village
Re: My Corn, Honey, and BRF TEK Experiment with nutritional yeast, CHEK IT OUT!!! [Re: GeorgeHayduke]
    #3253666 - 10/19/04 11:35 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

--------------------
To call humans 'rational beings' does injustice to the term, 'rational.'  Humans are capable of rational thought, but it is not their essence.  Humans are animals, beasts with complex brains.  Humans, more often than not, utilize their cerebrum to rationalize what their primal instincts, their preconceived notions, and their emotional desires have presented as goals - humans are rationalizing beings.

OfflineGeorgeHayduke
AvidExperimenter
Re: My Corn, Honey, and BRF TEK Experiment with nutritional yeast, CHEK IT OUT!!! [Re: Evolving]
    #3254926 - 10/20/04 05:23 AM (12 years, 1 month ago)

well that sucks! Oh well, I'll just have to post some more info again, I'll give you guys an update in the next few days.

--------------------
~Hayduke

OfflineGeorgeHayduke
AvidExperimenter
    #3259154 - 10/21/04 03:48 AM (12 years, 1 month ago)

To give a quick summary of the progress of the experiment, I'll outline the the last posts:
After about 3 days, there was mycelial growth, and after a week, some of the jars were almost completely colonized. The jars of corn with the most rapid colonization were the jars inoculated from a spore print (probably because i put a pretty good amount in them.) The jars with the most rapid growth (whether spore print or syringe) were the jars that had 1/4 tsp of nutritional yeast per 1/2 pint. So my suggestion is that if you are planning to do this yourself, then use at least 1/4 tsp of yeast per 1/2 pint. The jars of BRF are doing great as well, with very rapid growth. Not nearly as quick as the corn however. The corn is also much easier to prepare which makes the corn, my number one pick since it takes the least amount of time and effort (of the methods i have tried of course).

Please leave me any feedback or criticisms you would like, I am here to learn and help others if I can. If you have already seem people do this, then please let me know, and if you think you know a better method or some adjustments to this method, well then let me know that as well. Thanks, and I will post some pics soon.

--------------------
~Hayduke

OfflineGeorgeHayduke
AvidExperimenter
    #3259167 - 10/21/04 03:52 AM (12 years, 1 month ago)

heres the corn on day three:

Heres the corn on day four:  from left to right: No yeast | 1/8 tsp yeast | 1/4 tsp yeast.  You can tell which works the best.  :smile:

Offlineragadinks
MrBeatle
 User Gallery

#3259683 - 10/21/04 10:08 AM (12 years, 1 month ago)

Seem to like yeast :grin:.

Offlinebobmarley4prez
Male User Gallery
Loc: southwest
Re: My Corn, Honey, and BRF TEK Experiment with nutritional yeast, CHEK IT OUT!!! [Re: ragadinks]
    #3260736 - 10/21/04 04:47 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

so when do you add this yeast?

--------------------
Anything above this line is a lie. i do not cultivate psychadelic mushrooms nore do I intend to.

One day I encountered a bufo toad. Since that day I have been instilled with the power of the devil.

OfflineGeorgeHayduke
AvidExperimenter
Re: My Corn, Honey, and BRF TEK Experiment with nutritional yeast, CHEK IT OUT!!! [Re: bobmarley4prez]
    #3261937 - 10/21/04 09:24 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

you add the yeast before pressure cooking, so with the corn, after you strain it, you add the yeast, i just fill the jars half with corn and then add my yeast and then fill the rest of the way (leaving about 3/4 of an inch from the top) and shake the jars to mix the yeast up.  For the BRF tek, take your BRF and add as much yeast as you need for your jars in a mixing bowl and then put the BRF with yeast already mixed in into your jars.  For the honey, i just added it to the water before the pc.  But i don't really know whether the honey works all that well cause ive never done it before, and i dont think i will again as long as i have spore prints, which i should never run out of  :smile:  Hope that answers your questions.

--------------------
~Hayduke

OfflineHrethic
A Human, Being

Loc: Passing through the bulk Flag
    #3265080 - 10/22/04 06:26 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

Where can you get nutritional yeast?

--------------------
Will all the big boomers please unveil, please unveil, please unveil.

InvisibleEvolving
Resident Cynic

Loc: Apt #6, The Village
Re: My Corn, Honey, and BRF TEK Experiment with nutritional yeast, CHEK IT OUT!!! [Re: Hrethic]
    #3265681 - 10/22/04 09:18 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

At a vitamin or health food store. Nutritional yeast is similar to brewers yeast but is specifically grown for nutritional content. Brewers yeast is a by product of beer making and will contain hop resins and other stuff from the wort.

--------------------
To call humans 'rational beings' does injustice to the term, 'rational.'  Humans are capable of rational thought, but it is not their essence.  Humans are animals, beasts with complex brains.  Humans, more often than not, utilize their cerebrum to rationalize what their primal instincts, their preconceived notions, and their emotional desires have presented as goals - humans are rationalizing beings.

OfflineGeorgeHayduke
AvidExperimenter
Re: My Corn, Honey, and BRF TEK Experiment with nutritional yeast, CHEK IT OUT!!! [Re: Evolving]
    #3266430 - 10/23/04 01:11 AM (12 years, 1 month ago)

any health food store. Make sure its REDSTAR nutritional yeast. It's supposed to be the best

--------------------
~Hayduke

Offlinediscman1
journeyman
    #3267175 - 10/23/04 09:11 AM (12 years, 1 month ago)

Interesting stuff, I'm going to have to try this. Has anybody tried it with WBS?

What exactly is in the nutritional yeast.. nutrition wise? Maybe we can isolate what exactly causes the increased growth rate.

OfflineGeorgeHayduke
AvidExperimenter
Re: My Corn, Honey, and BRF TEK Experiment with nutritional yeast, CHEK IT OUT!!! [Re: discman1]
    #3268527 - 10/23/04 06:21 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

i dont think so, if you do try it, make sure to post your findings on this post, k? That mikght work better, since there are probably more nutrients in WBS than in corn, and with the added yeast, man, i'll bet it will just take off. Good Luck

--------------------
~Hayduke

OfflineGeorgeHayduke
AvidExperimenter
    #3268655 - 10/23/04 06:50 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

Ok, here's another update. These pics are from yesterday (day 11). The fully colonized amazonian jar(s) have been colonized for 3-5 days. Anyways, here's the pics:

--------------------
~Hayduke

OfflineGeorgeHayduke
AvidExperimenter
    #3282888 - 10/27/04 05:00 AM (12 years, 1 month ago)

alright, so most everything is colonized now. Except the damn honey! screw the honey, i would not suggest it to anyone. I had to throw 3 of the six jars of honey out, and they are just going too damn slow. If you wanna get good yields fast, then use spore prints and stay away from syringes unless you can make your own and put alot of spore prints in em. If you get even one mushroom that you can get a print from ,then you can have mushrooms forever, stick with prints! Oh and the BRF is doing pretty damn good as well, theyr're getting pretty close to being done, i forgot to fli em so there has been alor of CO2 buldup in the bottom of em so the mysellium isn't really going down there, or maybe its just slowly creppin, but there is a pretty definite line where the mycelium stops all they way around the jars, but i flipped em so it should be ok. Keep on givin me feedback and questions.

--------------------
~Hayduke

Offlineragadinks
MrBeatle
 User Gallery

#3282904 - 10/27/04 05:11 AM (12 years, 1 month ago)

Great experiment !
A question:
How did you inoculate the jars with the spore print ?
Just scrape some spores in the open jar ?
And what's your method of making spore prints ?

OfflineGeorgeHayduke
AvidExperimenter
Re: My Corn, Honey, and BRF TEK Experiment with nutritional yeast, CHEK IT OUT!!! [Re: ragadinks]
    #3288326 - 10/28/04 09:36 AM (12 years, 1 month ago)

yep. just scrape it into the jars from your index card while inside a glovebox and your all good.  To make a spore print you want to set the caps which are almost flat at this point or even starting to go convex supposing they haven't already dropped their spores and then cut the caps off and stick em on your sterilized index card or equivelent and put a sterilized jar over the top and just wait, within a day or so they will start to drop spores and within about 2-3 days, they're done.  Then you just eat the caps, or dry em or whatever and put another piece of sterilized index card over the one with the spores on it and tape the edges so nothing can get in or out between the index cards and stick em in a container with some desiccant and stick em in the fridge.  And there you go.  There are more tips and tricks out there, but if you want those, you'll have to do a little research like i did, the old fashioned way  :smile:

--------------------
~Hayduke

Offlineamyloid
Stranger
    #3288507 - 10/28/04 11:18 AM (12 years, 1 month ago)

from the pictures it doesnt seem that the yeast is doing much of anything. but its hard to give any kind of judgement when you use multispore injection, especially with differnt strains.

--------------------
"A human being is part of a whole, called by us the Universe, a part limited in time and space. He experiences himself, his thoughts and feelings, as something separated from the rest--a kind of optical delusion of his consciousness. This delusion is a kind of prison for us, restricting us to our personal desires and to affection for a few persons nearest us. Our task must be to free ourselves from this prison by widening our circles of compassion to embrace all living creatures and the whole of nature in its beauty."
-Al Einstein

Offlineragadinks
MrBeatle
 User Gallery

#3288574 - 10/28/04 11:50 AM (12 years, 1 month ago)

> There are more tips and tricks out there, but if you want those, you'll have to do a little research like i did, the old fashioned way
Thanks for the tips - it is very similar to my method.
I just wonder how other people do it ...

Jump to top. Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Brown Rice Flour, Dessicant, Vermiculite, Wild Bird Seed

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Advanced Mycology