Home | Community | Message Board

Gaiana.nl
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Advanced Mycology

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Coir, Paul Stamets, Vermiculite

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineSeril
Stranger

Loc: PNW
help help help, castings, corn, straw! oh my!
    #602910 - 04/09/02 03:30 AM (14 years, 7 months ago)

greetings. some straw/castings Qs:

can castings and straw be pasturized using the same tek?
(heat water to 165f in large pot, drop in a pillowcase of castings, let simmer for 90min)
and can they be done together? (straw/poop in one bag.)

when spawning the straw/castings, can this be done immediatly after? (after cooling down, of course.) or do i have to wait for the casting to dry out? in which case i should do the castings separatlly?

after all is said and done, substrate is pasturized and innoculated with corn... do i need to crank in humidity up right away? temp should still be incubation temp(85f) as i am trying to spread new mycelium, yes? how long, or at what point should i case? i'm currently leaning to straight coir.

next,
do i need to sterlize the casing layer? (coco coir)
pasturize? pros cons?

after casing, when do i hit it with light?
and for how long daily?

does mycelium respond well to blue light?
(all i have are blue bulbs, i'm a freak.)

if you can answer one, or any of these questions.. please feel free!
thanks thanks thanks~
-seril

--------------------
Seril,
Political language -true of all political parties- is designed to make lies sound truthful and murder respectable, and to give solidity to pure wind..

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineDinoMyc
Ipsa scientiapotestas est
Re: help help help, castings, corn, straw! oh my! [Re: Seril]
    #603123 - 04/09/02 10:48 AM (14 years, 7 months ago)

there is a search button to the right of "main index " and "archive"
also look in the growing tec section.

--------------------
If I made affront, I apologize.
If I made affirmation, I apologize.
I merely came to listen, came to say.

OfflineSeril
Stranger

Re: help help help, castings, corn, straw! oh my! [Re: DinoMyc]
    #603169 - 04/09/02 11:58 AM (14 years, 7 months ago)

thank you,
but not all my questions are a. findable, or b. easily findable.

i appriciate your help in my delicate newbie stage.
these questions are for people who wish to answer them.

-seril

--------------------
Seril,
Political language -true of all political parties- is designed to make lies sound truthful and murder respectable, and to give solidity to pure wind..

Invisiblerebelmoon
enthusiast
    #603189 - 04/09/02 12:21 PM (14 years, 7 months ago)

"can castings and straw be pasturized using the same tek?
(heat water to 165f in large pot, drop in a pillowcase of castings, let simmer for 90min)"

no. the best way to pasteurize is not readily accessibe for the home cultivator (a phase II steam room, see stamets). since you dont have this technology, you will have to make do with the stovetop and the oven. worm castings will turn to mud (or worse) if you try to pasteurize them in a pot of water. they should be mixed to the right moisture ratio (so that if you squeeze some in your hand it drips slightly but desnt turn to mud) and pasteurized in the oven. read the tek by psilo187 for this. i suggest using a thermometer in the oven to monitor it more exactly.

"when spawning the straw/castings, can this be done immediatly after? (after cooling down, of course.)"

for pasteurizing straw refer to shroomgods straw tek or use rippers straw tek if you have access to a large cooler like he uses. wait until the straw has fully drained (takes a few hours). generally once if is cool it is about drained. push on it to get all the water out of the bag. the worm castings should be pasteurized in baking pans at the correct moisture ratio and therefore dont need to be drained at all. wait until they are at room temperature before spawning.

"after all is said and done, substrate is pasturized and innoculated with corn.."

corncob? i think this is a bad idea. there were a number of people doing experiments with a "mycelium corncob slurry" a while back (a year or two?) and they didnt turn out so well. i dont rememeber what they were used to spawn (straw? probably not castings) so it might work for your attempt but i dont think so. if you still are goign to try it you shoud post your results or pm me them...

"do i need to crank in humidity up right away?"

once you mix the straw/castings/spawn in a tub you should cover with plastic (saran wrap or plastic sheeting like in shroomgods tek) and let sit for 7-10 days. either immediately or after a few days some holes shold be poked in the plastic (when you do this depends on how large of a tray you are goign to use). under the plastic the humidity should be very high. you dont need any external source of humidity unless your room is very very dry... in which case you might want to raise the humididty a little somehow.

"temp should still be incubation temp(85f) as i am trying to spread new mycelium, yes?"

no. well it depends on how big the tray is. if it is small i would keep it at 80 deg f. if it is a medium to large tray (anywhere from 2-5 square feet and 4-8" deep) i would keep it lower than that around 75 deg f at the highest. anything larger or deeper than that should be even less. mycelium produces a lot of its own heat when growing and if the temp gets above 90 deg f it will trigger a number of bacteria that you definately dont want.

"how long, or at what point should i case?"

after full colonization of the substrate. probably 10-14 days. no sooner than 7 days i imagine.

"i'm currently leaning to straight coir."

make sure you mix it with vermiculite or something similar or it will be to dense.

"next, do i need to sterlize the casing layer? (coco coir)
pasturize? pros cons?"

should be sterilized from the manufacture if it is in brick form. you should soak it in water at least overnight so that it fully absorbs and also you want some microorganisms to grow so you might even want it to sit for longer than 24 hours. you could always pasteurize it immediatley before using. basically it doesnt matter that much. beneficial bacteria are good though and they certainly wont be there if you saturate it and then case immediately.

"after casing, when do i hit it with light?"

read a casing tek for gods sake. after it has colonized the surface 50-75% (but no overlay) then you initiate pinning with light, fresh air, etc.

"and for how long daily?"

12 hours on/off is the max. anything less than that will work if it is on long enough. imo 12 hours is overkill but close to optimum.

"does mycelium respond well to blue light?"

yes.

really all this stuff *is* in thre teks you should have already been reading and *is* easily obtained by searching the board....

--------------------
"habit is the ballast that chains the dog to its vomit" - s beckett

OfflineSplit
enthusiast

Re: help help help, castings, corn, straw! oh my! [Re: rebelmoon]
    #603308 - 04/09/02 02:30 PM (14 years, 7 months ago)

It might be findable but now I think your a nice guy rebelmoon so pat yourself on the back.  :smile:

--------------------
[green]"You'll accomplish more if you start now"[/green]
[red]-Egghead[/red]
[green]TeRzMaStA[/green] is the man.

OfflineDinoMyc
    #603821 - 04/10/02 01:13 AM (14 years, 7 months ago)

Im sorry if I am comeing off as a dick (as I did).
I did not have the time to do your homework for you.
I assumed that you had not done any homework, used the search function, or read the teks available here. If you had, you would not have these questions.
I do not have the time right now to prove you wrong on all accounts (that every question you asked is easy to find), but every question asked is readily answerable by a quick perusal of the teks on this website alone, plus a search for a few of the specific ones.

please please please, do some homework before you take the easy way out.
a search for corn yields many posts from this month, in addition to many more from previous.. caseing is a standard procedure.. the lighting question, with which you capped your questions, speaks of little/no time spent reading up on things..
if you have basic questions, post in the standard cultivation forum. If you have a legitimate advanced question, post here.

if what you find here is not enough, go buy:
The Mushroom Cultivator, by staments and chilton
commonly refered to as TMC
and
Growing Gormet and Medicinal Mushrooms, by staments and someone else whose name I forget..
called GGMM for short..

and, especially as your a self declared newbie... why ask a question in ADVANCED cultivation if its a basic question?.. it does not make much sense to me!

you should be very gracious to rebelmoon for taking the time to answer those.. he even, as you may have noticed, quoted teks for most of your qestions.

and rebelmoon, I second split's comment. Thank you for taking your time to answer these questions.

--------------------

OfflineXAZIA
glitter goddess
Loc: oklahoma
    #604190 - 04/10/02 12:32 PM (14 years, 7 months ago)

seril my friend, the fact that you are asking some of the questions that you are signifies that you may want to begin with techiniques a step below straw and worm castings. if this is your first grow and you would really like to master the techniques and acquire the fundamental basic knowledge needed to have a firm foundation of understanding to become an amatuer mycologist, then you need to begin with the fundamentals. this grow attempt is heading for diasaster man! if you have this many questions now, what will you do in the middle ofyour grow and need answers right away? you were done a huge favor by rebelmoon but almost in a way a diservice, maybe had you had to search for the answers you would of acquireed more knowledge that would prevent you from posting again soon with a question that is easily answered by a little work and determination.
good luck!

--------------------
"Emancipate yourself from mental slavery, none but ourselves can free our minds."

Bob Marley

Remember, EGOISM is the beginning, the source, and the root of EVIL!

http://www.fanaticus.com/pf-tek.htm
http://www.mycotopia.net/teks/hongus.html

OfflineSeril
Stranger

Re: help help help, castings, corn, straw! oh my! [Re: XAZIA]
    #605263 - 04/11/02 12:23 PM (14 years, 7 months ago)

Thanks all for responses.
I've been reading the shroomery for 8 moths, I've read a plethora of teks.
This is my first attempt, I felt willing and capable of skipping the traditional newbie PF cakes. I'm well on my way, everything is in place and may start kicking ass soon. pics will go up when/if things start to happen. I'm just nervous, as is everyone on their first shot, that things wern't done corretly.. impatient. etc.

I did boil worm castings with straw. it did turn into a pile of mud. i used it anyway after squeezing out all the water I could. my mistake. hopefully that won't hurt me too badly.
I have been doing my homework now for 5 months, I have read nei everything on this board at least once.

everything else is done corretly...
I'm now on spawn +3days. temp is around 80deg. (+- 3) inside each terrarium.

Rebelmon,
i'm using six, 15 gal. rubbermaids.
each has its own heat/humidity/airflow with tyvek coverings.

thanks for your posts everyone.
I'd be happy to share my findings with you all.

-Seril
not a newbie!! :tongue: 

--------------------
Seril,

OfflineDinoMyc
    #605300 - 04/11/02 12:49 PM (14 years, 7 months ago)

what can I say..
good luck..
what did you spawn with?.. you never mentioned..

--------------------

Offlinefrontstreet
Stranger
    #605528 - 04/11/02 05:08 PM (14 years, 7 months ago)

Seril
I posted and am still posting my corn cob experiment. You should check it out a few times a week. I am also thinking of doin a worm casting cake once my cob is spawned. I think I would leave out the straw. I think that the cob holds enough moisture for a couple flushe and would colonize castings faster than castings/straw. Well these are all things I plan to try. Also try a liquid culture I think you would be pleased.

"A mind is a terrible thing to waste, so when I die grind mine up and smoke it!"Josh

OfflineSeril
Stranger

Re: help help help, castings, corn, straw! oh my! [Re: frontstreet]
    #605563 - 04/11/02 06:04 PM (14 years, 7 months ago)

my mistake.
I spawned with about 5 lbs of corn cob that simmered in a pot for about an hour.
(the corn was spawned with a PF EQ cake. ala... corn cob slurry tek)
the corn took around 10 days to get almost 100% colonized.

I broke up the corn with a clean fork and spread it evenly within the castings/straw.

I may have to do this again, this time doing the castings properly in the oven.
but I got this far with 0 contams (in 8 jars, 2 liquid cultures, 2 tubs of corncob slurry, and now my final stage) and moderatly fast growth, so If this is my only hangup.. I'm happy.

so my final rubbermaids contain... straw, castings, and corncob mycelium that was innoculated with a PF cake or two.

Frontstreet, my liquid cultures arn't moving so well. they seem to be doing close to nothing.. I'll PM you and maybe you can help me out with these.. i am very interested in Liquid Culture.

thanks!
-seril

the west, is the best.

--------------------
Seril,

Invisiblerebelmoon
enthusiast
    #605977 - 04/12/02 02:59 AM (14 years, 7 months ago)

keep the updates coming. im curious how youll do with this.

--------------------
"habit is the ballast that chains the dog to its vomit" - s beckett

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Coir, Paul Stamets, Vermiculite

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Advanced Mycology