Home | Community | Message Board

Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Advanced Mycology

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop: Coir, Vermiculite, Wild Bird Seed

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Offlinedisturbed
Poutine andSodomy
Male User Gallery

Loc: O-H-I-O
worm castings for bulk grow?
    #2280641 - 01/28/04 01:46 PM (13 years, 10 months ago)

I've done some searching on worm castings and have only come up with a few posts about people trying it, and all seemed to have very favorable results with it. I was unsure whether it was used for a bulk grow or not, which leads me to my next question. If worm castings can be used for a bulk grow, why don't more people use it? It seems like it would be much less messy than horse/cow poo. And can castings used by themselves or does it have to be mixed with straw?

Also does anyone have any pics of a bulk grow w/castings? I would be very interested to see the results.

--------------------

11/25/07 first time entrant ban lottery champion

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
InvisibleJoshua
Holoman
Male

Loc: The Matrix
Re: worm castings for bulk grow? [Re: disturbed]
    #2280725 - 01/28/04 02:22 PM (13 years, 10 months ago)

My impression of castings is that they are more an ammendment or supplement. When I used them in the past they colonised slow and didn't support much of a fruiting. I think composted or fresh dung is the way to go.

Joshua

--------------------
The Shroomery Bookstore

Great books for inquiring minds!

"Life After Death is Saprophytic!"

Invisiblemycofile
Pooh-Bah
 User Gallery

Loc: Uranus
Trusted Cultivator
    #2282012 - 01/28/04 11:45 PM (13 years, 10 months ago)

I think castings are great, but are a lot more diffcult to perfect than other dungs. I think it has to do with texture and moisture. Other dungs have a much more fibrous texture than castings, and they are easy to achieve proper moisture levels. With castings it's far too easy to get them too wet or too dry, either leading to drastically reduced yields if not total failure.

Therefore I think that for most people castings will be best used as an ammendment to say straw as Josh suggests.

Also, castings do vary in their texture, and many sources may benefit from lightening with some verm or coir or something. Their fine particle size makes for a very dense substrate which will colonize slowly as Joshua reports.

Perfect the moisture and the texture, and they are a great substrate however.

But I think the real reason more people don't use them is that horse and cow dungs aren't "messy" at all. In fact, once people use one or the other, they usually stop experimenting for the most part and just grow!

--------------------
"From a certain point of view"
-Jedi Master Obi Wan Kenobi

PM me with any cultivation questions.

I just looked at my profile and realized I had a website at one point in time on geocities, it's not there anymore and I have no idea what I had on it. Anybody remember my website from several years aga? PM if so please.

Offlinedisturbed
Poutine andSodomy
Male User Gallery

Loc: O-H-I-O
    #2282045 - 01/28/04 11:54 PM (13 years, 10 months ago)

thanks alot guys. that cleared up all of my questions...

--------------------

11/25/07 first time entrant ban lottery champion

OfflineDrenkhahn
Kid Wonder

#2294170 - 02/02/04 02:33 PM (13 years, 10 months ago)

Worm Castings?

Boil water (2-4 pots works for me). Toss it into a cooler. Throw castings in a pillow case and tie a knot in it. Toss it in the cooler (you can throw straw directly into the cooler too, you can get both the straw and the castings done at the same time). Put the top on the cooler. Let it sit for 2 hours. The temps of the water will be below boiling, but still well over 150.. and if you have a good cooler, after 2 hours it'll still nearly as scortching hot as it was when you first poured it in..

Drain water out. Squueeze the pillow case, step on it, kneel on it, ring it, whatever it takes to get the excess water out of that pillow case. (I use all 3 techniques :wink: )

Let it cool to room temp. Throw WBS into it, mix it up, and your good to go. The boiling water to cooler tek is out there.... as a straw tek mainly, but it works for castings/dung too.

The castings I have colonizing now, were done this way. A fistfull when squeezed hard should drip 2-3 drops of water..

(edited to add, I use castings/sraw/WBS  1;1;1, staw and castings really compliment each other, the castings provide good nutes and the straw provides the castings airation. If you notice, the castings can get real compact like a clay almost.. the straw really helps keep it lose and helps the myc run through it easier.. )

Edited by Drenkhahn (02/02/04 02:44 PM)

OfflineMister Black
smokes pot

#2295292 - 02/02/04 09:58 PM (13 years, 10 months ago)

I want to try ->this one <- out.. I have bags colonizing now.

Invisiblemycofile
Pooh-Bah
 User Gallery

Loc: Uranus
Trusted Cultivator
Re: worm castings for bulk grow? [Re: Drenkhahn]
    #2297278 - 02/03/04 02:28 PM (13 years, 10 months ago)

I wouldn't use a water steeping method for preparing castings. The castings are so fine, and so much of their goodies are very water soluble that I think you would be washing away alot of stuff that you don't really want to.

Not saying that it doesn't work, it obviously does. Just saying that it's easy enough to prepare castings in the oven (or pc even) that I would go the oven route.

--------------------
"From a certain point of view"
-Jedi Master Obi Wan Kenobi

PM me with any cultivation questions.

I just looked at my profile and realized I had a website at one point in time on geocities, it's not there anymore and I have no idea what I had on it. Anybody remember my website from several years aga? PM if so please.

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop: Coir, Vermiculite, Wild Bird Seed

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Advanced Mycology