Home | Community | Message Board

Out-Grow.com - Mushroom Growing Kits & Supplies
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Kraken Kratom Shop: Red Vein Kratom

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | Next >  [ show all ]
InvisibleSwami
Eggshell Walker

Loc: In the hen house
"Ghost" Lighthouse Debunked
    #3226963 - 10/07/04 10:55 AM (19 years, 5 months ago)

I caught the Sci-Fi TV show in the middle so missed the details.

Apparently a small island (off the coast of Maine?) had a lighthouse that was tended for years by one man who died. The lighthouse was decommisioned, yet local residents still saw a light coming from the tower. The lighthouse keeper's wife said it was her husband's spirit that protected the islanders. Others agreed.

Turns out it was the harbor lights, reflected off the glass and through the magnifier still present.

What did the locals think now? EVEN WHEN PRESENTED WITH THE EVIDENCE they still kept their fanciful and erroneous beliefs in ghosts.

The very sad truth is that once a person's mind is made up, they rarely change it even when new evidence clearly overrides previous beliefs. This lack of plasticity is one of the major faults of being an undisciplined thinker.

--------------------

The proof is in the pudding.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineWhiteRussian
The Silence islouder then youthink
Loc: In your head :P
Re: "Ghost" Lighthouse Debunked [Re: Swami]
    #3227070 - 10/07/04 11:14 AM (19 years, 5 months ago)

Because its more interesting to see a phenomina then face the facts :smile:

--------------------
aaaaaahhhhh

Invisiblegettinjiggywithit
jiggy
Female User Gallery

Loc: Heart of Laughter
    #3227193 - 10/07/04 11:40 AM (19 years, 5 months ago)

Whats the difference between an undisciplined thinker and a self disciplined thinker?

To me, an undisciplined thinker just believes what they are told to believe by 'authority" figures. A self disciplined thinker thinks for themselves what to think and believe.

Why is it sad that people choose to think for themselves?

--------------------
Ahuwale ka nane huna.

OfflineFrog
Warrior
Female User Gallery

Loc: The Zero Point Field
    #3227199 - 10/07/04 11:41 AM (19 years, 5 months ago)

I don't think it's a sad truth, in this case. It's much more romantic, imo, to think that someone's spirit is watching over us.

*shrugs*

So what if it's not true, and they don't want to stop believing? No harm, no foul.

--------------------
The day will come when, after harnessing the ether, the winds, the tides, gravitation, we shall harness for God the energies of love. And, on that day, for the second time in the history of the world, man will have discovered fire.  -Teilard

InvisibleEgo Death
Justadropofwaterinanendlesssea
 User Gallery

Loc: The War Machine
    #3227274 - 10/07/04 11:56 AM (19 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

Swami said:
The very sad truth is that once a person's mind is made up, they rarely change it even when new evidence clearly overrides previous beliefs. This lack of plasticity is one of the major faults of being an undisciplined thinker.

Thats right Swami. THINK ABOUT YOUR OWN WORDS.

Remember that thing about every link in the chain being correct? This is your problem bud.

--------------------

InvisibleSkorpivoMusterion
Livin in theTwilight Zone...
 User Gallery

Loc: You can't spell fungus wi...
    #3227939 - 10/07/04 01:50 PM (19 years, 5 months ago)

A closed mind is like a closed book ? just a block of wood.

--------------------
Coffee should be black as hell, strong as death, and sweet as love.

InvisibleHuehuecoyotl
Fading Slowly
Male User Gallery

Loc: On the Border
    #3230722 - 10/07/04 09:30 PM (19 years, 5 months ago)

Did you see the ghost hunter show that came on after that? The investigation these Roto-Rooter guys pulled off lacked any type of empirical control. They declared that the house was haunted and presented some very questionable recordings as proof. On the Sci-Fi channel all your gonna get is sci-fi.

--------------------
"A warrior is a hunter. He calculates everything. That's control. Once his calculations are over, he acts. He lets go. That's abandon. A warrior is not a leaf at the mercy of the wind. No one can push him; no one can make him do things against himself or against his better judgment. A warrior is tuned to survive, and he survives in the best of all possible fashions." ― Carlos Castaneda

Offlinefredthetree
Stranger

Loc: Canada
Re: "Ghost" Lighthouse Debunked [Re: Huehuecoyotl]
    #3232204 - 10/08/04 08:25 AM (19 years, 5 months ago)

Dude, don't burst my bubble! I don't care if it's not real, just don't.

A note to all you kids out there: you can pretend the world is anyway you want, even if it's completely crazy and makes no sense.

Offlinescape
II
Loc: somewhere but not where y...
Re: "Ghost" Lighthouse Debunked [Re: fredthetree]
    #3232209 - 10/08/04 08:29 AM (19 years, 5 months ago)

yea its actually on the coast of maine, ive been their to see it. Its kind of neat really. I live like an hour away from the coast so its nice to take those trips on sunny days

--------------------

EVERYTHING I SAY OR DO IS FAKE, IM A COMPULSIVE LIAR, sorry for any confusion this makes.

OfflineJayHorror
pass the popcorn
Male
Re: "Ghost" Lighthouse Debunked [Re: fredthetree]
    #3232211 - 10/08/04 08:31 AM (19 years, 5 months ago)

It's in Michigan. Presque Isle. It's not actually on an island.

I live about 30 minutes away from that place. All the high school kids around here think it's haunted. it's complete bullshit. I've been there many times and I've never seen the "ghost light". I actually know the kid that was on the show pretty well, I used to go to school with him.
So, yeah, the place isn't haunted.

Offlinescape
II
Re: "Ghost" Lighthouse Debunked [Re: JayHorror]
    #3232216 - 10/08/04 08:33 AM (19 years, 5 months ago)

hrmmm? now im really confused cuz i am 100% sure its on the coast of maine...

--------------------

EVERYTHING I SAY OR DO IS FAKE, IM A COMPULSIVE LIAR, sorry for any confusion this makes.

OfflineJayHorror
pass the popcorn
Male
Re: "Ghost" Lighthouse Debunked [Re: scape]
    #3232236 - 10/08/04 08:41 AM (19 years, 5 months ago)

edit: actually, I'll just do this

http://www.scifi.com/proofpositive/episodes/episode101/episode.html

look at the bottom of the page\
Lighthouse Ghost
A Michigan woman claims her deceased husband may be haunting her town's abandoned lighthouse.

Edited by JayHorror (10/08/04 08:49 AM)

Offlinescape
II
Re: "Ghost" Lighthouse Debunked [Re: JayHorror]
    #3232257 - 10/08/04 08:54 AM (19 years, 5 months ago)

ahh sweet, well their is one just like it in maine its off the coast of cape elizabeth. you should check that out too. Anyway its cool to know the ghosties like more than just one type of light house

--------------------

InvisibleDiploidM
Cuban

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Rabbit Hole
Re: "Ghost" Lighthouse Debunked [Re: Frog]
    #3233136 - 10/08/04 12:59 PM (19 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

I don't think it's a sad truth, in this case. It's much more romantic, imo, to think that someone's spirit is watching over us.

*shrugs*

So what if it's not true, and they don't want to stop believing? No harm, no foul.

This is exactly the kind of thinking that led to which burnings, human sacrifices, and poor Galileo's Inquisition. :shake:

Edit: typo, lead = led

--------------------
Republican Values:

1) You can't get married to your spouse who is the same sex as you.
2) You can't have an abortion no matter how much you don't want a child.
3) You can't have a certain plant in your possession or you'll get locked up with a rapist and a murderer.

4) We need a smaller, less-intrusive government.

Edited by Diploid (10/08/04 10:08 PM)

jiggy
Female User Gallery

Re: "Ghost" Lighthouse Debunked [Re: Diploid]
    #3233172 - 10/08/04 01:09 PM (19 years, 5 months ago)

Dipload,

frog can reply for herself if she cares to but I want to ask you this.

If someone wants to beleive that a dead grandmother or gaurdian angel is looking out after them, how does that make them want to find and burn witches, offer up human sacrifices and set off on religious inquisitions?

Ironically, it seems that the skeptics here are the ones who go on the witch hunts after members, request human sacrifices via banning, and inquisition the beleifs of others that differ from theirs to the point of condemnable judgment.

Can you clarify or expansiate for me why you said what you did in responce to frog because it doesn't make sense from where I am looking, and it doesn't make sense from your shoes either.

--------------------
Ahuwale ka nane huna.

InvisibleHuehuecoyotl
Fading Slowly
Male User Gallery

Re: "Ghost" Lighthouse Debunked [Re: gettinjiggywithit]
    #3233197 - 10/08/04 01:15 PM (19 years, 5 months ago)

"Ironically, it seems that the skeptics here are the ones who go on the witch hunts after members"

That is a very negative estimation. Just because someone is after the truth doesn't mean they are on a witch hunt. Most skeptics about spiritualism would love to find that they are wrong.

--------------------
"A warrior is a hunter. He calculates everything. That's control. Once his calculations are over, he acts. He lets go. That's abandon. A warrior is not a leaf at the mercy of the wind. No one can push him; no one can make him do things against himself or against his better judgment. A warrior is tuned to survive, and he survives in the best of all possible fashions." ― Carlos Castaneda

jiggy
Female User Gallery

#3233246 - 10/08/04 01:28 PM (19 years, 5 months ago)

it's not negative. Its just a observation of how people like to destroy what is different from themselves or poses a threat to what keeps them feeling safe and secure.

It's highly understandable even. What I was pointing out was how people who beleive in benevolent spirits, arnt the ones hunting others down, requesting sacrifices or on judmental and condemning inquisitions.

Truth seeking can be done constructively and co-operatively. I'm a truth seeker and I question everything and put stuff to my own tests and I don't think of myself as being negative or anyone who does the same.

Lets look back at those who did go on witch hunts, offered sacrifices to the gods, and set out on inquisitions. What motivated them? What were they looking to gain? certainly not the truth. Perhaps they were looking to keep it hidden.

look at this from as many angles as possible.

--------------------
Ahuwale ka nane huna.

Offlinebaraka
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: hyperspace Flag
    #3233297 - 10/08/04 01:41 PM (19 years, 5 months ago)

haha i saw one of them shows 3where they proved spirits where floating around" by using a sony mavica 75 (640 x 480 not even 1 megapixe) and taking pictures in the dark. I sold digi cams a while back in tried it in the dark with same camera. I got some scary news. BEST BUY IS HAUNTER MUAHAHA.

--------------------
This is the only time I really feel alive.

InvisibleHuehuecoyotl
Fading Slowly
Male User Gallery

Re: "Ghost" Lighthouse Debunked [Re: baraka]
    #3233361 - 10/08/04 01:59 PM (19 years, 5 months ago)

"Lets look back at those who did go on witch hunts, offered sacrifices to the gods, and set out on inquisitions. What motivated them? What were they looking to gain? certainly not the truth. Perhaps they were looking to keep it hidden."

Usually these types are out to protect their own spiritual beliefs against percieved threats. The whole "my religion is the only right one" attitude is what has caused these behaviors in the past. These people are not skeptics, but religious fanatics. I am skeptical about many paranormal type things because I have not experienced them, but I do believe in a spirit world due to my personal interaction with it. When I am trying to get to the truth of a matter I try to use hard questions to get solid answers. Some people percieve this as being close minded, but it is that I am just trying to cut through the BS to see what is really there.

--------------------

jiggy
Female User Gallery

#3233378 - 10/08/04 02:04 PM (19 years, 5 months ago)

I agree, the witch hunters, sacrificers to the gods, and inquisitioners were the religious types. I stand corrected there. Science types just write all others off as being nuts.

I didn't understand why diploid felt a belif in a gaurdian spirit is what started those things. I beleive in spirit and I am not religious and beleifs of others don't scare me. Live and let live.

Okay, thanks for adding that. We are more sympatico after all on this. Just took a little clarifying he he.

I want to hear from Dipload why he said it to her.

--------------------
Ahuwale ka nane huna.

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | Next >  [ show all ]

Kraken Kratom Shop: Red Vein Kratom