Home | Community | Message Board

Cannabis Seeds Zamnesia
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.


Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Sporeworks.EU Spores for European Microscopy   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   North Spore Bulk Substrate

Jump to first unread post Pages: < First | | 3990 | 3991 | 3992 | 3993 | 3994 | 3995 | 3996 | 3997 | 3998 | 3999 | 4000 | 4001 | 4002 | 4003 | 4004 | 4005 | 4006 | 4007 | 4008 | 4009 | 4010 | | Last >
Re: Ask Quick Questions, Get Quick Answers [Re: 0_tonin] * 1
    #29678672 -

This doesn't hurt anything but I think as well that 16 min is cutting it a bit too tight. I do 25-30 min for LC and agar and vent for 15min beforehand.


Main things that can cause sediment in your LC during sterilization:

LME - contains protein which coagulates/clumps together when heated. If you putting a lot of LME in your LC you will get a lot of sediment, using
less will produce less sediment. The colour of your broth indicates you are using quite a bit of LME. To get rid of the proteins you could pre-boil the
broth and filter it.

Water - Very hard water can cause sediment due to lime precipitating during sterilization. This is what happened to me and it took me a while to figure
it out. Distilled or RO-water are best to use but bottled water is also ok if you can't get the other types, the cleaner the better, tap water can be crap.

Any other additives....


What is the percentage of LME in your broth? Looks like you could reduce it.


Page 4000 :boombox2:


Edited by Baba Yaga (09/26/26 04:41 AM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Ask Quick Questions, Get Quick Answers [Re: Baba Yaga] * 1
    #29678677 -

langten69 said:
How big are your containers?

Timetable from TC Stipe n Cap:






yeah according to this I should have done 30 min. damn ๐Ÿ˜…

Now I dont know if sending it again to the PC for 30 min will ruin the batch...



Baba Yaga said:
This doesn't hurt anything but I think as well that 16 min is cutting it a bit too tight. I do 25-30 min for LC and agar and vent for 15min beforehand.


Main things that can cause sediment in your LC during sterilization:

LME - contains protein which coagulates/clumps together when heated. If you putting a lot of LME in your LC you will get a lot of sediment, using
less will produce less sediment. The colour of your broth indicates you are using quite a bit of LME. To get rid of the proteins you could pre-boil the
broth and filter it.

Water - Very hard water can cause sediment due to lime precipitating during sterilization. This is what happened to me and it took me a while to figure
it out. Distilled or RO-water are best to use but bottled water is also ok if you can't get the other types, the cleaner the better, tap water can be crap.

Any other additives....


What is the percentage of LME in your broth? Looks like you could reduce it.


Page 4000 :boombox2:






Yeah I did vent for 10 minutes beforehand, then added the weight to the valve, an d after the first decompression I started the timer.

I wonder if starting again from scratch with a less concentrated solution and proper sterilization. I can imagine if I send this again to Pc it will only look worse.

What I use is a Liquid Culture mix from a vendor. I am not exactly sure what is in the mix (I thought I had read on their website that it was LME but just double checked and it doesnt say anything about whats in the mix), but the instructions say to use 4gr for every 100ml of water.



I used distilled water.

I have heaps of the LC mix, I think I will just start again, less saturated, maybe 2.5 or 3gr per 100ml? And sterilize for 30 min.

Thanks guys


--------------------
How about the racist, sexist, phobia soup we've all been drowning in because of him? And I'm not just talking about Jesus. I'm talking about all organized religion - exclusive groups created to manage control, a dealer getting people hooked on the drug of hope, his followers nothing but addicts who want their hit of bullshit to keep their - their dopamine of ignorance, addicts afraid to believe the truth - that there is no order, there's no power, that all religions are just metastasizing mind worms meant to divide us so it's easier to rule us by the charlatans that want to run us.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Ask Quick Questions, Get Quick Answers [Re: 0_tonin] * 1
    #29678679 -

If you have or get a hydrometer you can check your LC mix strength.


--------------------
โ€œAll Fungi are edible.

Some fungi are only edible once.โ€
โ€• Terry Pratchett


Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Ask Quick Questions, Get Quick Answers [Re: Kloakk] * 1
    #29678683 -

You can easily go down to 1gr per 100ml, even less. Give it a try, you got 5 jars, compare different concentrations, pick what you like best.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Ask Quick Questions, Get Quick Answers [Re: Baba Yaga]
    #29678691 -

Quote:
@Stipe n Cap said

Now onto liquid culture:


I prefer to use low nutrient concentration in the broth (.1%-.2%) for maximum clarity, clarity will allow you to easily visually identify bacterial contamination by the presence of turbidity (cloudiness). Turbidity is directly correlated to the severity of contamination by bacteria:



By utilizing a greater nutrient concentration in your broth (greater than .5%) you will end up with discolored broth and sedimentation, both of these will make visual inspection for turbidity difficult if not impossible.

Broth made @ 1% concentration compared to broth @ .1% (some folks are running broth @ 4+% which looks something like swamp water :rofl:)





So a 2.5g - 3g per 100ml is a 2.5%-3% concentration

Depending on what your goals are, you may want to scale that back to a 0.2% if you are looking for clarity

A lot of people on the forum prefer a very lean culture just to make contam easier to spot

I know my last batch of LC came out a yellowish color and it does make turbidity slighty harder to percieve

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Ask Quick Questions, Get Quick Answers [Re: langten69]
    #29678724 -

Im all down for clarity. But from 4% to 0.1% we are talking a HUGE difference. Clarity is great I get it, but can such low concentration of nutrient carry some down side? Like slower growth?

I just tossed the previous solutions and did some from scratch. Some at 1%, some at 1.5% and some at 2%.

Will send to PC in a bit, going to roll a doobie for while I wait in the garage.


--------------------
How about the racist, sexist, phobia soup we've all been drowning in because of him? And I'm not just talking about Jesus. I'm talking about all organized religion - exclusive groups created to manage control, a dealer getting people hooked on the drug of hope, his followers nothing but addicts who want their hit of bullshit to keep their - their dopamine of ignorance, addicts afraid to believe the truth - that there is no order, there's no power, that all religions are just metastasizing mind worms meant to divide us so it's easier to rule us by the charlatans that want to run us.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Ask Quick Questions, Get Quick Answers [Re: 0_tonin]
    #29678732 -

Hey. I'm trying to make my first wheat grain jars. In my current attempt, I've cooked the grains on very low simmer until it's tender (I could eat that), but a lot of grains burst - see pics. Actually, it seems like the grain itself that I've bought has some cherries that are broken.

Is that a deal breaker? Does it make sense to proceed with what I've just cooked? Should I find a better source?



Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Ask Quick Questions, Get Quick Answers [Re: 0_tonin]
    #29678735 -

0_tonin said:
Im all down for clarity. But from 4% to 0.1% we are talking a HUGE difference. Clarity is great I get it, but can such low concentration of nutrient carry some down side? Like slower growth?

I just tossed the previous solutions and did some from scratch. Some at 1%, some at 1.5% and some at 2%.

Will send to PC in a bit, going to roll a doobie for while I wait in the garage.



Leaner concentrations usually colonize faster but with less overall myc once finished

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Ask Quick Questions, Get Quick Answers [Re: jonkerston]
    #29678736 -

jonkerston said:
Hey. I'm trying to make my first wheat grain jars. In my current attempt, I've cooked the grains on very low simmer until it's tender (I could eat that), but a lot of grains burst - see pics. Actually, it seems like the grain itself that I've bought has some cherries that are broken.

Is that a deal breaker? Does it make sense to proceed with what I've just cooked? Should I find a better source?






It looks like the majority of ur grains are unburst so I would use it since you have it already

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Ask Quick Questions, Get Quick Answers [Re: 0_tonin] * 1
    #29678738 -

0_tonin said:
Im all down for clarity. But from 4% to 0.1% we are talking a HUGE difference. Clarity is great I get it, but can such low concentration of nutrient carry some down side? Like slower growth?

I just tossed the previous solutions and did some from scratch. Some at 1%, some at 1.5% and some at 2%.

Will send to PC in a bit, going to roll a doobie for while I wait in the garage.



0,2% DME



--------------------
โ€œAll Fungi are edible.

Some fungi are only edible once.โ€
โ€• Terry Pratchett


Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Ask Quick Questions, Get Quick Answers [Re: pilzezuechter]
    #29678793 -

pilzezuechter said:
thanks for the answers.

to get it to field capacity i have to use 2:2:1 then. even then not a drop is coming out but itโ€™s almost coming out. should
be wet enough right?



To add to the wisdom, use gloves ALL THE TIME..if you squeeze your substrate you add millions of skin bacterial endospores on your grow..

Wash hands with strong disinfectant as often as you can (I use Sterile alcohol solution)

90 % of fails the first time comes from

1. Substrate is too wet/dry
2. Your spore syringe was contaminated.
etc..

TO be easy, buy a spore syringe from a reputable vendor, its worth the 15 bucks to just whack at it than too try and make your own.

WOrk the water well into the substrate, verm is like a pipe..it sucks up water and you want the water to stay IN THE VERM, not be free runnig inside...


--------------------
The PF Tek is my area.:oldman:

Where all anonymity is lost, there cannot exist a person.

Where one cannot avoid to share, there is God

www.zamnesia.nl
RustyWhyte is Commercial!



Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Ask Quick Questions, Get Quick Answers [Re: Cakewonder]
    #29678797 -

I donโ€™t wear gloves. I wash my hands and arms up to the elbows with soap and water, shut off the tap with my elbow and dry off with paper towels.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Ask Quick Questions, Get Quick Answers [Re: The Tao]
    #29678800 -

its i guess taste thing..id wear them..


--------------------
The PF Tek is my area.:oldman:

Where all anonymity is lost, there cannot exist a person.

Where one cannot avoid to share, there is God

www.zamnesia.nl
RustyWhyte is Commercial!



Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Ask Quick Questions, Get Quick Answers [Re: 0_tonin] * 2
    #29678805 -

Happy shroomiversary 0_tonin!:hug::mushroom2:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Ask Quick Questions, Get Quick Answers [Re: Kloakk]
    #29678812 -

langten69 said:
Quote:
@Stipe n Cap said

Now onto liquid culture:


I prefer to use low nutrient concentration in the broth (.1%-.2%) for maximum clarity, clarity will allow you to easily visually identify bacterial contamination by the presence of turbidity (cloudiness). Turbidity is directly correlated to the severity of contamination by bacteria:



By utilizing a greater nutrient concentration in your broth (greater than .5%) you will end up with discolored broth and sedimentation, both of these will make visual inspection for turbidity difficult if not impossible.

Broth made @ 1% concentration compared to broth @ .1% (some folks are running broth @ 4+% which looks something like swamp water :rofl:)





So a 2.5g - 3g per 100ml is a 2.5%-3% concentration

Depending on what your goals are, you may want to scale that back to a 0.2% if you are looking for clarity

A lot of people on the forum prefer a very lean culture just to make contam easier to spot

I know my last batch of LC came out a yellowish color and it does make turbidity slighty harder to percieve





Yooo i've been running 1.6% LME for my LC,,,,, i've seen a lot of 1%-4% with anything over 4% being considerably toxic to the myc.


You're telling me I can run .1-.5%!?




Kloakk said:
0_tonin said:
Im all down for clarity. But from 4% to 0.1% we are talking a HUGE difference. Clarity is great I get it, but can such low concentration of nutrient carry some down side? Like slower growth?

I just tossed the previous solutions and did some from scratch. Some at 1%, some at 1.5% and some at 2%.

Will send to PC in a bit, going to roll a doobie for while I wait in the garage.



0,2% DME







Is DME 'DARK' Malt extract?  This looks really good Kloakk. I think my thoughts are the same as 0_Tonin,, whats the trade off? slower growth?  I know at 1.6% (what i've been running) I can populate 300ml in roughly 1-2 weeks. the downside is the sediment.


--------------------
A Seeker Seeking,,, Things...

Lo-Z Things
State of The Grow :awesomenod: | Lo-Z's Forever Print Tek :print:
Brown Rice Grain Prep (Step by Step) :syringe: | My Favorite Cow PooPoo Sub Tek :poop:

Things that saved Lo-Z
PANS IN TUBS :mushroom2:
Rescuing Your AIO Kit :lifesaver:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Ask Quick Questions, Get Quick Answers [Re: Lo-Z] * 1
    #29678823 -

DME = Dry malt extract

It's been a long time since I've made a liquid culture but less then 0.5% and they look real clear and real nice. I don't like sediment in my LC because then you can't tell the difference between that and the cloudiness caused by bacteria

A lot of the ogs here who use LC treat it as a single use item, so having slightly less mycelium in the liquid doesn't really matter.


--------------------
I've got skills, they don't know where to use me
I'm like the best dressed guy at the nude beach
Nice to meet you!

Edited by PuffM4gicDr4gon (09/26/26 09:36 AM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Ask Quick Questions, Get Quick Answers [Re: Lo-Z] * 2
    #29678826 -

PuffM4gicDr4gon said:
DME = Dry malt extract

It's been a long time since I've made a liquid culture but less then 0.5% and they look real clear and real nice. I don't like sediment in my LC because then you can't tell the difference between that and the cloudiness caused by bacteria

A lot of the ogs here who use LC treat it as a single use item, so having slightly less mycelium in the liquid doesn't really matter.



:whathesaid:

Lo-Z said:
Is DME 'DARK' Malt extract?  This looks really good Kloakk. I think my thoughts are the same as 0_Tonin,, whats the trade off? slower growth?  I know at 1.6% (what i've been running) I can populate 300ml in roughly 1-2 weeks. the downside is the sediment.



In my opinion there is no trade off. They usually fill out 80ml within 2 weeks. I free pour and do single use. Often that means making 40ml for grains or 80ml if I'm doing AIO bags. What doesn't get used in one session goes down the toilet :toilet:


--------------------
โ€œAll Fungi are edible.

Some fungi are only edible once.โ€
โ€• Terry Pratchett


Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Ask Quick Questions, Get Quick Answers [Re: Kloakk] * 2
    #29678828 -

happy shroomiversary 0_tonin


--------------------
The PF Tek is my area.:oldman:

Where all anonymity is lost, there cannot exist a person.

Where one cannot avoid to share, there is God

www.zamnesia.nl
RustyWhyte is Commercial!



Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Ask Quick Questions, Get Quick Answers [Re: 0_tonin] * 1
    #29678834 -



--------------------
"Little shark in da bathtub"

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Ask Quick Questions, Get Quick Answers [Re: Kloakk]
    #29678846 -

PuffM4gicDr4gon said:
A lot of the ogs here who use LC treat it as a single use item, so having slightly less mycelium in the liquid doesn't really matter.



Kloakk said:
What doesn't get used in one session goes down the toilet :toilet:




So being a noob, I took my vender purchased 10ml liquid culture syringe and put a few drops across 3 plates, ~5ml into two LME LC jars, and the last 5ml into grain.

Now I have north of 50 10ml syringes of LC tested on agar and it was healthy. They are chilling in a mini fridge at around 38-40 degrees F.

Was this a bad move? i was reading (before the shroomery) that this was a decent 'short term' (6 months - 1 year) way to store LC an keep cultures around.

My long term storage is the Castellani Method with agar wedges in distilled water at sub 40 degrees to put the culture into stasis.


Does this track or did i just do a whole lot of pointless work ?


--------------------
A Seeker Seeking,,, Things...

Lo-Z Things
State of The Grow :awesomenod: | Lo-Z's Forever Print Tek :print:
Brown Rice Grain Prep (Step by Step) :syringe: | My Favorite Cow PooPoo Sub Tek :poop:

Things that saved Lo-Z
PANS IN TUBS :mushroom2:
Rescuing Your AIO Kit :lifesaver:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Jump to top Pages: < First | | 3990 | 3991 | 3992 | 3993 | 3994 | 3995 | 3996 | 3997 | 3998 | 3999 | 4000 | 4001 | 4002 | 4003 | 4004 | 4005 | 4006 | 4007 | 4008 | 4009 | 4010 | | Last >

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Sporeworks.EU Spores for European Microscopy   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   North Spore Bulk Substrate


Similar ThreadsPosterViewsRepliesLast post
* quick question, finished colonizing? usefulidiot 1,852 1 04/06/03 04:31 PM
by kindkesey
* Quick Question grateful_head 1,238 2 08/18/01 01:40 PM
by Billyblastoff
* New to the boards, and a quick question to start ! Anonymous 1,829 4 03/11/02 01:18 AM
by 2shrewmen
* some quick questions about my treasure coasts alf 3,849 19 11/15/01 11:54 PM
by Anonymous
* Quick Question needs quick answer Wheedhead! 1,180 2 01/19/03 07:06 AM
by Wheedhead!
* quick question SuppaFly 1,044 1 09/18/02 02:41 PM
by mickey_rourke
* Re: Quick Question
( 1 2 all )
Anonymous 4,542 22 06/14/00 03:46 AM
by hitterg
* Quick Question LXTC 1,806 11 09/24/02 08:09 PM
by LXTC

Extra information
You cannot start new topics / You cannot reply to topics
HTML is disabled / BBCode is enabled
Moderator: Shroomism, george castanza, RogerRabbit, veggie, mushboy, fahtster, the_chosen_one, LogicaL Chaos, 13shrooms, hamloaf, cronicr, Stipe-n Cap, Pastywhyte, bodhisatta, Tormato, Land Trout, A.k.a
1,160,513 topic views. 19 members, 194 guests and 183 web crawlers are browsing this forum.
[ Show Images Only | Sort by Score | Print Topic ]
Search this thread:

Copyright 1997-2026 Mind Media. Some rights reserved.

Generated in 0.083 seconds spending 0.049 seconds on 16 queries.