Home | Community | Message Board

PlanetSpores.ca
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.


Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore Cultivation Supplies   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Sporeworks.EU Spores for European Microscopy

Jump to first unread post Pages: < First | | 3901 | 3902 | 3903 | 3904 | 3905 | 3906 | 3907 | 3908 | 3909 | 3910 | 3911 | 3912 | 3913 | 3914 | 3915 | 3916 | 3917 | 3918 | 3919 | 3920 | 3921 | | Last >
Re: Ask Quick Questions, Get Quick Answers [Re: bluescreen]
    #29647750 -

bluescreen said:
Why is everyone doing popcorn? Wtf. Drippy from YT I guess. :facepalm3:



Started before drippy IMO, I feel like I was on year 2 of popcorn before PGT started with it, at least.

If you're manually cooking grains (and not a NSNS type thing), it's much easier to deal with and especially to lay out and dry. I remember the time I dropped and shattered a full jar of dry WBS on a wood floor. Not a fun game of 52 pickup. Turned me off of the tiny seeds for a long time, but the ease of NSNS has me back playing with millet again. Stovetop boiling and sheet drying 20lbs of popcorn fuckin suks lol.

Plus I've seen some comparison videos and it does great. Rye seems to be the champ but popcorn is usually top 3.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Ask Quick Questions, Get Quick Answers [Re: Rasmodius]
    #29647784 -

Half tempted to try marijuana seeds lol


--------------------





An enigma some caerulescens n a mono 😎

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Ask Quick Questions, Get Quick Answers [Re: bloodssonnew]
    #29647790 -

bloodssonnew said:
Half tempted to try marijuana seeds lol




I don't think oily seeds would do too well, but if you happen to have a source for pound quantities of hemp seed it would be interesting to test I suppose.


--------------------
My Trade List!

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Ask Quick Questions, Get Quick Answers [Re: Nichrome]
    #29647809 -

hello guys. is micropore tape good enough for liquid cultures, agar and grain jars? why people use modified lids with PTFE filter instead of micropore tape that is generally cheaper?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Ask Quick Questions, Get Quick Answers [Re: matsc]
    #29647812 -

Hi guys. I have some coir covered brf cakes which have been sat on foil discs in a watertub for 4 days. In most example pics mycelium grows all over the cake but mine are only really growing it around the bottom 1/2 inch. Is that something I should be concerned about?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Ask Quick Questions, Get Quick Answers [Re: Chiron098]
    #29647837 -

Chiron098 said:
hello guys. is micropore tape good enough for liquid cultures, agar and grain jars? why people use modified lids with PTFE filter instead of micropore tape that is generally cheaper?



For liquid cultures, teflon filters are nice in that they're waterproof, so a little jostling won't wreck em.

For no-pour plates and grain jars, I personally Do use micropore tape to fine effect. BUT, it's not perfect (the pore sizes are all over the shop), it can be sticky and gummy and a bit annoying to clean up after. So it's a trade off.

If you have proper filter material to use, it is absolutely "better". But Micropore is often "good enough", so long as one accepts its limitations and foibles.


--------------------
My Trade List!

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Ask Quick Questions, Get Quick Answers [Re: Chiron098]
    #29647838 -

Chiron098 said:
hello guys. is micropore tape good enough for liquid cultures, agar and grain jars? why people use modified lids with PTFE filter instead of micropore tape that is generally cheaper?



The cost difference seems negligible. Tape and sticky filters are both pretty cheap and, years in, I've not had to buy a second pack of either.

I've used micropore tape for many LC lids without issue in the past. However, the micropore filter tightness is much looser than the 0.22 micron tolerance of a filter disc. The contams we're worried about are typically in the 1-3 micron range, so 0.22u isn't strictly necessary, but it sure doesn't hurt.


If you mean the PTFE things like this, don't use them. They were a fad for awhile but they're meant to screw onto a syringe, and adhering them to lids is always fragile.


The sticker version of just the filter is great. Hydrophobic, much stricter mesh than the micropore tape, and cleaner looking.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Ask Quick Questions, Get Quick Answers [Re: Rasmodius]
    #29647865 -

yes, i was talking about the filter in the first picture. they are also definitely not having the same price here where i live, both of them, they are A LOT more expensive(like 3 times more) and a very niche thing that is hard to find.

well, micropore tape is enough them, no need to worry about this?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Ask Quick Questions, Get Quick Answers [Re: Chiron098] * 1
    #29647897 -

Chiron098 said:
yes, i was talking about the filter in the first picture. they are also definitely not having the same price here where i live, both of them, they are A LOT more expensive(like 3 times more) and a very niche thing that is hard to find.

well, micropore tape is enough them, no need to worry about this?



Filters for jars. Use cling wrap, grafting tape or parafilm for plates. LC I run in unmodified 100ml media bottles and free pour.


--------------------
“All Fungi are edible.

Some fungi are only edible once.”
― Terry Pratchett


Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Ask Quick Questions, Get Quick Answers [Re: Kloakk] * 1
    #29647902 -

Quote:
Use cling wrap, grafting tape or parafilm for plates



well, i was thinking about using micropore tape on agar plates to let the mycelium breathe, but i guess that's not really necessary, right? the headspace inside the agar plate is probably enough.

when you say "unmodified LC" do you mean the same logic i mentioned, or something else? basically, using only the headspace inside the jar to provide oxygen to the mycelium?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Ask Quick Questions, Get Quick Answers [Re: Chiron098]
    #29647924 -

Good morning everyone!

Do you know what these dark spots on the stems of the aborts are?



These are GT cakes (MS). I've been dealing with conditions for a few days... 28 degrees Celsius (or more) inside, passive FAE one 2.2cm diameter hole with loose polyfil + some ~2mm holes. Manual FAE 3-4 times a day for about 30 seconds + misting if I see it drying out.

Not sure whether to increase passive FAE and deal with dryness or just accept high CO2 and leave it.

Hugs :heart:


--------------------
"Little shark in da bathtub"

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Ask Quick Questions, Get Quick Answers [Re: Chiron098] * 2
    #29647944 -

Chiron098 said:
well, i was thinking about using micropore tape on agar plates to let the mycelium breathe, but i guess that's not really necessary, right? the headspace inside the agar plate is probably enough.

when you say "unmodified LC" do you mean the same logic i mentioned, or something else? basically, using only the headspace inside the jar to provide oxygen to the mycelium?



Parafilm breathes, and don't be fooled by the price of a roll of parafilm. Mine lasted almost 2 years and probably a couple of thousand plates and nothing even compare when it comes to wrapping plates.

Yes, headspace is all that is needed. I'm pretty new to LC so I take extra precautions when making and using it. That is the main reason for using 100ml bottles. That allows me to fill to 40ml and still have a lot of headspace, have done 80ml without any problems as well.

I never pour twice from the same bottle, either use everything or discard the rest.


--------------------
“All Fungi are edible.

Some fungi are only edible once.”
― Terry Pratchett


Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Ask Quick Questions, Get Quick Answers [Re: Kloakk] * 1
    #29648011 -

Kloakk said:
Parafilm breathes, and don't be fooled by the price of a roll of parafilm. Mine lasted almost 2 years and probably a couple of thousand plates and nothing even compare when it comes to wrapping plates.



YES.

I am happy for the 🅃 🄴 🄰 🄼  🄲 🄻 🄸 🄽 🄶 🅆 🅁 🄰 🄿 people, but I will always be 𝔭 𝔞 𝔯 𝔞 𝔣 𝔦 𝔩 𝔪  𝔭 𝔦 𝔪 𝔭 𝔦 𝔫. The superior choice by far.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Ask Quick Questions, Get Quick Answers [Re: Rasmodius] * 1
    #29648012 -

Rasmodius said:
I am happy for the 🅃 🄴 🄰 🄼  🄲 🄻 🄸 🄽 🄶 🅆 🅁 🄰 🄿 people, but I will always be 𝔭 𝔞 𝔯 𝔞 𝔣 𝔦 𝔩 𝔪  𝔭 𝔦 𝔪 𝔭 𝔦 𝔫. The superior choice by far.




Ah, but do you go for the lab grade parafilm, or the horticultural grade parafilm?

The grafting tape stuff is certainly cheaper, but the lab stuff just stretches around plates so much easier...


--------------------
My Trade List!

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Ask Quick Questions, Get Quick Answers [Re: matsc]
    #29648015 -



The good shit. Still $30, hasn't risen with inflation. I bought one roll in 2021 and am only just now getting to the end of it about halfway through, at a plate count that is definitely somewhere in the thousands. On a plate by plate basis it's basically free.

I've tried to buy the "grafting tape" version a couple times and each time I have been mailed what I'm pretty positive is just fucking clingwrap lol.

I'm up very early so I think this morning I make a parafilm tek because I have opinions / some very specific ways of doing it that negate the complaints most people have (re: fiddliness)

Edited by Rasmodius (08/15/26 07:51 AM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Ask Quick Questions, Get Quick Answers [Re: Rasmodius]
    #29648124 -

Rasmodius said:
I'm up very early so I think this morning I make a parafilm tek because I have opinions / some very specific ways of doing it that negate the complaints most people have (re: fiddliness)



:sneakypeek:


--------------------
“All Fungi are edible.

Some fungi are only edible once.”
― Terry Pratchett


Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Ask Quick Questions, Get Quick Answers [Re: Kloakk]
    #29648196 -

Quote:
I've tried to buy the "grafting tape" version a couple times and each time I have been mailed what I'm pretty positive is just fucking clingwrap lol.



Yeah I've bought the actual Parafilm brand grafting tape at a local nursery. It's the same waxy material, but like 5 times the thickness. Very little stretch before it snaps.

It WILL make it around a plate, if you're careful, but it's a bit of a pain. Gimme the good old lab roll any day.

....but now I need to figure out what to do with a hundred feet of grafting tape.


--------------------
My Trade List!

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Ask Quick Questions, Get Quick Answers [Re: matsc] * 1
    #29648210 -

matsc said:
Yeah I've bought the actual Parafilm brand grafting tape at a local nursery. It's the same waxy material, but like 5 times the thickness. Very little stretch before it snaps.

It WILL make it around a plate, if you're careful, but it's a bit of a pain. Gimme the good old lab roll any day.

....but now I need to figure out what to do with a hundred feet of grafting tape.



New hobby unlocked....Bonsai :awesomenod:


--------------------
“All Fungi are edible.

Some fungi are only edible once.”
― Terry Pratchett


Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Ask Quick Questions, Get Quick Answers [Re: Kloakk] * 2
    #29648495 -

Nice, I have a six-year-old Baobab that I've been working on (and a dragon blood tree), I had to chop the tuber root like basically cloning it (March 05'), building a base that can fit in a bonsai pot takes time, so last year all root building, and this year finally seeing some new top growth so that tells me the roots are back solid, and it feels snug in the ground now. 

 

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Ask Quick Questions, Get Quick Answers [Re: Rasmodius]
    #29648552 -

Rasmodius said:
bluescreen said:
Why is everyone doing popcorn? Wtf. Drippy from YT I guess. :facepalm3:



Started before drippy IMO, I feel like I was on year 2 of popcorn before PGT started with it, at least.

If you're manually cooking grains (and not a NSNS type thing), it's much easier to deal with and especially to lay out and dry. I remember the time I dropped and shattered a full jar of dry WBS on a wood floor. Not a fun game of 52 pickup. Turned me off of the tiny seeds for a long time, but the ease of NSNS has me back playing with millet again. Stovetop boiling and sheet drying 20lbs of popcorn fuckin suks lol.

Plus I've seen some comparison videos and it does great. Rye seems to be the champ but popcorn is usually top 3.



I PC my corn for 30 minutes to force hydrate, then let it dry for a bit, then toss it in bags or jars and then fully sterilize. Karo+peptone for amendments. Comes out damn near perfect every time.

I didn’t come up with the process or the recipe, but I love it.

If I’m not using corn, I’m using whole oats, which does requiring boiling/simmering.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Jump to top Pages: < First | | 3901 | 3902 | 3903 | 3904 | 3905 | 3906 | 3907 | 3908 | 3909 | 3910 | 3911 | 3912 | 3913 | 3914 | 3915 | 3916 | 3917 | 3918 | 3919 | 3920 | 3921 | | Last >

Shop: North Spore Cultivation Supplies   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Sporeworks.EU Spores for European Microscopy


Similar ThreadsPosterViewsRepliesLast post
* quick question, finished colonizing? usefulidiot 1,848 1 04/06/03 04:31 PM
by kindkesey
* Quick Question grateful_head 1,233 2 08/18/01 01:40 PM
by Billyblastoff
* New to the boards, and a quick question to start ! Anonymous 1,825 4 03/11/02 01:18 AM
by 2shrewmen
* some quick questions about my treasure coasts alf 3,840 19 11/15/01 11:54 PM
by Anonymous
* Quick Question needs quick answer Wheedhead! 1,176 2 01/19/03 07:06 AM
by Wheedhead!
* quick question SuppaFly 1,039 1 09/18/02 02:41 PM
by mickey_rourke
* Re: Quick Question
( 1 2 all )
Anonymous 4,528 22 06/14/00 03:46 AM
by hitterg
* Quick Question LXTC 1,801 11 09/24/02 08:09 PM
by LXTC

Extra information
You cannot start new topics / You cannot reply to topics
HTML is disabled / BBCode is enabled
Moderator: Shroomism, george castanza, RogerRabbit, veggie, mushboy, fahtster, the_chosen_one, LogicaL Chaos, 13shrooms, hamloaf, cronicr, Stipe-n Cap, Pastywhyte, bodhisatta, Tormato, Land Trout, A.k.a
1,154,863 topic views. 20 members, 185 guests and 259 web crawlers are browsing this forum.
[ Show Images Only | Sort by Score | Print Topic ]
Search this thread:

Copyright 1997-2026 Mind Media. Some rights reserved.

Generated in 0.073 seconds spending 0.049 seconds on 16 queries.