Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder, Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | Next >  [ show all ]
InvisibleMOTH
Wild Woman
 User Gallery

Loc: In the jungle
My brother might go into the military
    #2963524 - 08/04/04 08:54 AM (19 years, 7 months ago)

My brother took his college entry test last week hoping to do well and he failed all of the subjects.  That means he has to take developmental classes in Math, Reading, Writing, and History. 

He's mega-depressed by this (my mom said that she thought he was about to cry when he got the results) and so now he's thinking he might join the military.  He's been saying this for awhile, but I'm afraid that the test results might be what sends him in. 

I know it's his decision...but he's my little brother.  I mean, I know that he'd excel in the military because he's huge muscular (like a body builder) and he's a tough guy.  So I guess it's his decision, but I don't like the thought of him possibly being killed or him killing other people.  I'm just worried for him is all. 

I hope he figures out what he wants to do.  :frown: 

*me*

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleJohn
ssdp.org

Loc: Vancouver, B.C.
Re: My brother might go into the military [Re: MOTH]
    #2963540 - 08/04/04 08:59 AM (19 years, 7 months ago)

:frown:

InvisibleAdom
Totally Nude
 User Gallery
Loc: Way Up North
    #2963543 - 08/04/04 08:59 AM (19 years, 7 months ago)

My brother is just out of bootcamp. I don't want him going to George's war either. It's scary, just make sure he does something that will help him when he's out. If he's really a bad ass tell him to shoot for special forces, get some adventure if not he can learn lots of skills that will help him in the work force when he's out. My brother is going to school starting in a month to work on a new helicoptor that won't be out for another year and a half. He will probably also be the door gunner in compbat along with being a field mechanic. Scary stuff but it's also a nice way to get a job when your done serving.

He joined the Marines for god knows what reasons but is very happy about it, he actually liked bootcamp and just finished weapons and combat training two days ago. He's a great kid and not even jar headed or macho about anything.

InvisibleCherryBomM
Yoga Gypsy
Female User Gallery

Loc: Ontario
    #2963563 - 08/04/04 09:07 AM (19 years, 7 months ago)

Joining the military isn't all bad.  Mind you... I'm Canadian, and that makes a big huge difference.  Just because your little brother joins the army doesn't mean that they are going to ship him off overseas.

I'm not too sure how the contracts work in the states, but over here when you are done your basic training you sign up for a 3 year contract.  They will teach you a trade and offer you courses depending on what you are interested in.

Your little brother can use the military to his advantage.  He can get the training that he needs to become a mechanic for airplanes or a firefighter or a police officer or something like that.  The army will look awesome on his resume and when he's finished his first contract he can opt out and go get a nice, safe civillian job with his new experience and fat bank account.

They usually don't send the 'new' guys overseas right away unless they are infantry meat-heads.  Suggest to him that he get involved with something like repair or even armoured.

I hope it all works out for him.  :heart:  War is scary.

--------------------

Invisibledownforpot
Stranger
Male
    #2963697 - 08/04/04 10:09 AM (19 years, 7 months ago)

If he joins infantry, he will be fucked. Tell him if he wants to go into infantry it would be best that he goes for special forces. If he wants to be a mechanic or a firefighter, then he should work on helicopters, tanks, anything non-combat. I suggest he picks marines because they ussually don't get assigned to protecting convoys but they always go on the offensive.

--------------------

http://www.myspace.com/4th25

"And I don't care if he was handcuffed
Then shot in his head
All I know is dead bodies
Can't fuck with me again"

InvisibleVvellum
Stranger

#2964017 - 08/04/04 11:52 AM (19 years, 7 months ago)

If he joins the military, he will most likely go to Iraq. Fuck that war.

Introduce your brother to the fine world of trade schools - he can become some sort of technician within 2-3 years and start making money.

...as he applied to the community/jr. college? They practically accept anyone.

InvisibleMOTH
Wild Woman
 User Gallery

Re: My brother might go into the military [Re: Vvellum]
    #2964377 - 08/04/04 01:09 PM (19 years, 7 months ago)

Sure he got accepted, but he is discouraged because he'll have to take up to possibly 3 semesters of developmental courses before he even begins taking the normal ones.

InvisibleAdom
Totally Nude
 User Gallery
    #2967457 - 08/05/04 10:34 AM (19 years, 7 months ago)

Phew!!! I just got off the phone with my bro, he is going to be a CH-53 super stallion mechanic, his school starts one week from today. The CH-53 is mainly a surplus helicoptor http://www.globalsecurity.org/military/systems/aircraft/ch-53e.htm
This is very good news for him and everyone who worries about him.

Offlineendokrin
Stranger

Loc: SouthEast
Re: My brother might go into the military [Re: Adom]
    #2967822 - 08/05/04 12:34 PM (19 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

downforpot said:
If he joins infantry, he will be fucked. Tell him if he wants to go into infantry it would be best that he goes for special forces. If he wants to be a mechanic or a firefighter, then he should work on helicopters, tanks, anything non-combat. I suggest he picks marines because they ussually don't get assigned to protecting convoys but they always go on the offensive.

Helicopters/tanks--NON-combat?? Are you joking? When you go to war, they don't hide the mechanics and support personnel in a nice safe bunker capable of withstanding a nuclear blast... EVERYONE is vulnerable.

However, there are certain fields which decrease your chance of actually fighting (mechanics/support, etc. as you mentioned)... but there is no job 100% safe from being called in to kill.

Special Forces??? Groups like that are usually the FIRST to go in to a combat zone, often the LAST out..

EllemyshShade-
As far as your brother's "contract" or commitment... I wouldn't count on the military letting him out any time soon. They are re-calling some soldiers who have already RETIRED.

Most people have to learn things first hand, and unfortunately may regret decisions they make... I hope your brother will be able to just suck it up at a trade school or whatever... because that will sure beat the alternative!

OfflineBri
Junglist Wifey

Loc: Georgia
Re: My brother might go into the military [Re: endokrin]
    #2968829 - 08/05/04 04:04 PM (19 years, 7 months ago)

Regardless of if you're new or not, you'll still get sent overseas. My husband's in the army and he got sent to Iraq when he had been in for just over a year. He left a month after our 2nd son was born and he was gone for almost a year. Just make sure your brother really knows everything that the military entails. Recruiters aren't always very truthful. The pay isn't real good. Especially if you have to put your life on the line. Oh, and EVERY job in the military has the potential to get deployed. My husband is a humvee mechanic, he went. Hell, the band even went. Veterinarians and paper pushers go to. There are all kinds of loopholes in the contracts. You may think you signed up for 4 years, and it can turn into 6 or more. Having some experience around this issue, I'd strongly encourage him to fight through his classes. He can always do to school first and then decide to go into the military. God forbid he not come out of the military to go to school. Best of luck to him. :smile:

OfflineShroomyMcPot
Male

Loc: TX
    #2968856 - 08/05/04 04:09 PM (19 years, 7 months ago)

Edited by ShroomyMcPot (10/25/09 05:49 PM)

InvisibleAdom
Totally Nude
 User Gallery
Re: My brother might go into the military [Re: Bri]
    #2969042 - 08/05/04 05:01 PM (19 years, 7 months ago)

I think we all know people in the military aren't safe from War. Some jobs are just a little safer than others. I know it's dangerous and people know what they are getting into when they sign the line and if the don't I can see where the blame lays.

Invisibleyasi
Male User Gallery

Loc: far from home........
    #8323623 - 04/24/08 03:54 PM (15 years, 11 months ago)

Well, if he goes Marine infantry, Have him take
the endoc for 8541, Marine Scout/Sniper. If he's
as built as you say, he'll be perfect.
I think it may have been changed to 0317...

--------------------
Counting Bodies like Sheep...

Edited by yasi (04/24/08 03:55 PM)

InvisibleAlec_Baldwin
Reigning On High
 User Gallery

Re: My brother might go into the military [Re: yasi]
    #8323629 - 04/24/08 03:56 PM (15 years, 11 months ago)

Hopefully he's not easily brainwashed.

--------------------
Tune in, Freak out, Get Beaten.

Offlinenotorius gib
naturalist
Male User Gallery

Loc: Portland Oregon
Re: My brother might go into the military [Re: yasi]
    #8323633 - 04/24/08 03:58 PM (15 years, 11 months ago)

yeah the service has some pros but 10 times as many cons IMO.  one of my good friends is going to iraq at the end of 2008 prolly:(...i can only hope he comes back in one piece...good luck to your brother.

--------------------
I'd rather be a human than a person

Invisiblethedefone
deus ex machina

Loc: Gondwana
Re: My brother might go into the military [Re: notorius gib]
    #8323918 - 04/24/08 05:17 PM (15 years, 11 months ago)

Edited: Yasi's stupidity. Why on God's green earth are you dragging up 4 year old threads and responding?

What happened to your brother MOTH?

Edited by thedefone (04/24/08 05:28 PM)

Offlineskydog
Coffee & Blunts
Male User Gallery

Re: My brother might go into the military [Re: thedefone]
    #8323985 - 04/24/08 05:42 PM (15 years, 11 months ago)

Send him to forums.military.com

There is so much good information there on all the branches of the military. I've been entertaining the thought of OCS after I finish my BS next year, and have been perusing those forums for awhile. There are so many paths you could take in the military that you really need to do your research before hand, and not go into the recruiter's office with no idea of what is going on.

--------------------
:yesnod::thumbup:

OfflinePilzeEssen

Loc: USA
Re: My brother might go into the military [Re: skydog]
    #8324002 - 04/24/08 05:47 PM (15 years, 11 months ago)

man the army fucks people over. they can promise anything and not follow through. fuck those assholes. my sister got screwed out of 5 years of her life.

--------------------
"The soul has greater need of the ideal than of the real. It is by the real that we exist, it is by the ideal that we live."

If you want to get a hold of me, my email address is in my profile. Just click on my screen name. I got banned from using private messages cause I didn't follow the rules... :frown:

InvisibleMOTH
Wild Woman
 User Gallery

Re: My brother might go into the military [Re: thedefone]
    #8324238 - 04/24/08 06:59 PM (15 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

thedefone said:
Edited: Yasi's stupidity. Why on God's green earth are you dragging up 4 year old threads and responding?

What happened to your brother MOTH?

Yeah, super old thread. Well, he became a body builder and is about to get his major in Kinesiology. He wants to be a coach.

He also got hooked on steroids, but that's a whole other topic.

Invisibleyasi
Male User Gallery

Loc: far from home........
    #8326072 - 04/25/08 06:25 AM (15 years, 11 months ago)

nothing like bringing new life to old topics....:cool:

--------------------
Counting Bodies like Sheep...

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder, Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom