Home | Community | Message Board

Original Seeds Store
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Left Coast Kratom Kratom Powder For Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds

Jump to first unread post Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | Next >  [ show all ]
OfflineCeeEssGee
Canadian-American

Loc: Toronto, Ontario
Re: Tempted to enlist! [Re: Azmodeus]
    #1278415 - 02/04/03 01:22 PM (21 years, 4 months ago)

In the grand scheme of things, nothing is particularly important. What, then, are you doing that is so important? How then, can you criticize how important what someone else is doing?

As for peace.. it's a dream. It'd be nice, but it's not going to happen. As long as there are assholes, cruel dictators, etc, there is going to be a counter-force. If armed terrorists kept an entire building of hostages, shot one every half hour, would you rather sit around getting stoned, let a white dove loose, bitch about freedom and peace, etc, or see those hostages let loose, and the terrorists neutralized by violent means?

If a dictator got his hands on nerve gas, and launched it at israel, causing it to be completely uninhabitable for half a century, would you rather sit around calling him a "bad man/ oppressor", or move in and give him what he justly deserves, then dismantlein all trace of his military?

Violence is bad, but sometimes it just needs to be used to protect those who don't want to be involved with it. I would gladly give my life, if I knew that it was protecting one person, even if that person happened to be very unnappreciative for it.

As for the whole shrub/saddam thing, I do agree it's stupid. Why? Because shrub is all "rah rah, sis boom bah" when he could have send in spec ops already to arrest saddam, and to interrogate him.

--------------------
Why, sirrah, why may a caudled fillhorse be deemed the brother to a hiren candle in the night? Withal, because a candle may be greased, yet a fillhorse be without a fat argier!

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineCeeEssGee
Canadian-American

Re: Tempted to enlist! [Re: CeeEssGee]
    #1278503 - 02/04/03 01:39 PM (21 years, 4 months ago)

Also, I think it's a fair assumption that everyone here has grown up in a relatively free and peaceful society (Especially BC and Ontario, heh). If you had grown up in France as it was being destroyed by the Germans, would you still feel the same way? If you grew up in Afghanastan, would you... I don't need to bother with that one, the majority of people on this board, including myself, would have been publicly executed with a rusty knife there by now.

Here's a good one: If you were backed in to a corner by a thug attempting to kill/harm/rape you, and you knew self defense, would you simply do your best toller cranston impression and go "tee hee, oh you, stop being siiilly", or would you defend yourself violently, in order to incapacitate your attacker? Don't lie to yourself.

--------------------
Why, sirrah, why may a caudled fillhorse be deemed the brother to a hiren candle in the night? Withal, because a candle may be greased, yet a fillhorse be without a fat argier!

OfflineToxicManM
Bite me, it's fun!
 User Gallery

Loc: Aurora, Colorado
Re: Tempted to enlist! [Re: Larrythescaryrex]
    #1279257 - 02/04/03 04:49 PM (21 years, 4 months ago)

If you decide to go in, make sure you select what you want to do and GET IT IN WRITING! I knew several guys who enlisted and thought they had a guarantee to specialize in some specific thing who discovered that they had no guarantee at all.

One guy thought he was going to be a photographer. He became a cook.

Early on the lieutenant asked the company (in boot camp) if anybody had gotten a guarantee to be a medic (this was the Marines). About six guys raised their hands. The lieutenant had everybody give their recruiters a big hand. There is no such thing as a Marine medic and there never has been.

When it comes time to sign the contract, unless it actually says, in black and white, that you are going to be a such-and-such, you have no guarantee at all. If you go in without a guarantee (in writing) then you will be whatever they want you to be. The things they need the most of are the things you probably don't want to be - basic infantry, cooks, admin clerks, you get the idea.

Get it in writing. Nothing else counts, no matter what they say.

--------------------
Happy mushrooming!

Offlinezeronio
Stranger
Male

Loc: Slovenia
    #1279691 - 02/04/03 07:04 PM (21 years, 4 months ago)

I wouldn?t go. War is not fun.

OfflineAzmodeus
Seeker

Loc: Lotus Land!! B.C.
    #1280461 - 02/05/03 04:24 AM (21 years, 4 months ago)

You raise good point, and despite my anti-war post i DO understand the need for war. But claiming certain parts of the world evil, blatently lying, establishing unfair advantages, threating to annihilate a country with no evidence, those are the acts of a country that has become power hungry and corrupt. It reminds me of the nazis, rome, and other powers that got out of control.

You dont have to believe it, but this is not a war on terrorism, or to prevent WMD from being deployed by "potential threats", or any other of the noble reasons the US lies. Its about establishing thier power, oil reserves, economy (euro getting up there), and thier false sense of good and evil, which convieniently applies to whomever does not share its views.

These are my opinions....not facts!!
i only hope one day we can all share a similar view.

--------------------
"Know your Body - Know your Mind - Know your Substance - Know your Source.

Lest we forget. "

OfflineCeeEssGee
Canadian-American

#1281312 - 02/05/03 09:13 AM (21 years, 4 months ago)

How do you know the US is lying? Because shrub is an asshole? That's hardly enough evidence to say that the entire government is lying. If Iraq really is found to be holding any weapons of mass destruction, I really hope he fucks up their government. They have admitted to having CIA field agents in Iraq, as well as commandos. If they attack Iraq, in any way, it'll be to either grab Saddam and interogate/arrest him, or to head straight to those weapons and forcibly remove them.

It may be that they know already exactly where the weapons are. Should he tell the public? Fuck no, then the element of surprise would be gone.

We've gone way off topic though. This is not just about the war on iraq. The original post was: "should I enlist?", not: "Is this war really neccessary?"

--------------------

OfflineBladeLSD
Squirrel Master

#1282720 - 02/05/03 04:29 PM (21 years, 4 months ago)

I dont see the big problem with oil, If we didnt have the oil to help rebuild them (via us corps getting money) than that money would come from your tax dollars. This war is imminent, and just like every other country we've ahnilated so is the rebuilding. If the rest of the world wants to sit on their ass while saddam builds WMD and employs more coercive tactics to hide them, thats their choice. They want to ignore the facts, they sit around humming a nice tune disregarding the obvious. The US unfortunatly doesnt sit on its ass when the shit hits the fan. Or even wait for the shit to hit the fan. We act, and it works. I really dont know what you peacenicks want for Iraq. I guess we should give them another 12 years.

--------------------
We might get glimpse's of objectivity every now, and then, but we're so inherently locked in our temporal and corporeal selves that we're irrevocably locked into subjectivity :crazy:

OfflineAzmodeus
Seeker

Re: Tempted to enlist! [Re: BladeLSD]
    #1283804 - 02/06/03 04:37 AM (21 years, 4 months ago)

Thats a very ignorant outlook... :tongue:

--------------------

Lest we forget. "

Anonymous

#1285117 - 02/06/03 10:54 AM (21 years, 4 months ago)

A friend of mine joined the Navy as a nuclear chemist. They're paying 100% for his education, plus a huge signing bonus. And he'll never have to hold a gun (after boot camp).

OfflineCeeEssGee
Canadian-American

Re: Tempted to enlist! [Re: Anonymous]
    #1285191 - 02/06/03 11:15 AM (21 years, 4 months ago)

That's pretty amazing, good for him.

--------------------

OfflineAzmodeus
Seeker

Re: Tempted to enlist! [Re: Anonymous]
    #1286273 - 02/06/03 04:45 PM (21 years, 4 months ago)

Wow! he will be very sucsessful, and rich and be able to buy a nice car and house, and much happiness.... :tongue:

nuclear chemist eh?
I wonder what he will be doing...

--------------------

Lest we forget. "

OfflineTwIg
Pariah
Male

Loc: IL USA
    #1286367 - 02/06/03 05:16 PM (21 years, 4 months ago)

Larry, I pmed you... check your mailbox.

~TwIg~

--------------------

OfflineCeeEssGee
Canadian-American

Re: Tempted to enlist! [Re: TwIg]
    #1286433 - 02/06/03 05:33 PM (21 years, 4 months ago)

"I wonder what he will be doing... "

Perhaps assisting in the NUCLEAR POWERED subs or ships. Or, perhaps assisting with protection against nuclear strike. Don't be a tool; when you make an assumption you make an ass out of "u" and mption.

--------------------

OfflineAzmodeus
Seeker

#1287580 - 02/07/03 04:48 AM (21 years, 4 months ago)

Okay, umption.... :grin:

--------------------

Lest we forget. "

Offlinefelix
 User Gallery

Re: Tempted to enlist! [Re: Azmodeus]
    #1291610 - 02/08/03 05:09 PM (21 years, 4 months ago)

i am so close to enlisting in the navy..or some other branch. i really don't want to, but sometimes it seems like a good idea, other times it doesn't.

i'm afraid of signing that sheet to commit. i'va had Alot of friends in the military, and they all say !don't do it! alot of them smoke weed and everything too. it seems, i just can't bring myself to sign up.

fuck

--------------------
Real botanists laugh at HPS systems, we do however use high pressure sodium in the parking lot. - artthug

InvisibleRebelSteve33
Amateur Mycologist
Male

Loc: Arizona
Re: Tempted to enlist! [Re: felix]
    #1291805 - 02/08/03 06:16 PM (21 years, 4 months ago)

i have that same feeling!  sometimes i just want to enlist, and i'm not even sure why.  but then i realize that enlisting would be going against all of my beliefs, and i am sure that i've been brainwashed into wanting to enlist somehow.

don't join the military.

if we didn't have militaries, we wouldn't have wars.

come on, people.  it's that easy! :laugh:

-RebelSteve

--------------------
Namaste.

OfflineCeeEssGee
Canadian-American

Re: Tempted to enlist! [Re: RebelSteve33]
    #1294417 - 02/09/03 05:46 PM (21 years, 4 months ago)

"if we didn't have militaries, we wouldn't have wars."

Yes, fine, if by 'we', you mean the entire world. You know, it'd be nice if suddenly, we could figure out a way to breathe underwater, as well. It would be silly, however, if you were at 200 feet below water, and decided that that SCUBA gear just isn't neccessary. I mean, come on, that oppressive water, trying to keep us down, damn it! It's mother nature's conspiracy, the bitch!

Well, you'd better bend over, because reality is about to kick your ass.

--------------------

OfflineRoKiSdEaD
Stranger
Male User Gallery

Loc: South
    #1294879 - 02/09/03 10:50 PM (21 years, 4 months ago)

Go CeeEssGee! :smile: :smile: :smile:

Offlinechills420
Poo Pie Maker

Re: Tempted to enlist! [Re: RoKiSdEaD]
    #1294940 - 02/10/03 12:28 AM (21 years, 4 months ago)

Starting pay for a private is roughly 1200-1300 per month.
Not bad if u live alone but if u have a fam. that could be hard.

If u r lucky to get on base housing (u will need to drop to your knees and praise jesus christ) There usually a huge waiting list.
U do however get a government rent check that is for rent/electric
It's between 800-1000 a month
Most houses near a base are way over priced and u will end up spending more than they give you.

Some bases do have a day care though that is provided free. That way you wife or G/F can also work.
I have a friend in the service now he's been there 2 years and is having a real hard time keeping caught up.
He is making payments on his parents house here (they passed away)
Paying over 1600.00 a month just n rent/electric (2 bedroom apt pretty shity at that)
Getting a car is a joke down there. They have those buy here pay here places that rip everyone with little or no credit off.

the only + he says is there going to pay for his school.But he found out he could have gotten a grant to do that.

He's having a real shitty time and getting yelled at on top of it. Just make sure ur ready for it if you deside to go. I'd hate to see some 1 else in the same boat.
The armed services should look into doing something about raising pay rates.
Oh yeah if u get shipped off and have 2 fight u get a whole extra 300.00 a month.WOW

--------------------
Teach a man to make cakes he will trip for a night. Teach a man to case he will trip forever

Anonymous

Re: Tempted to enlist! [Re: felix]
    #1296372 - 02/10/03 10:15 AM (21 years, 4 months ago)

As much as I may seem to try and talk people into joing the military, if you have any doubts, don't do it.  Signing up is a very serious committment, and failure to abide by the strict military code of justice can land you out on your ass, many of your rights taken away for good.  Plus you might die :blush:

Jump to top Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Left Coast Kratom Kratom Powder For Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds